2006 World Cup - 2nd knockout stage

edward1849

Round of 8 Official thread
Hello everyone.

Now that the World Cup tournament has reached the 2nd knockout stage. Only 8 teams are left. This is the official thread for the round of 8 matches. Same rules as before.

1. Only discuss what the topic entails.

Discuss ONLY the matches, news, and happenings that pertains to teams in the round of 8 only. Anyone who fails to post appropriately will have his post removed/possibly warned.

2. No discriminating, inappropriate, or degrading posts towards other soompi members, any teams, or any players.

You are free to criticize a team's performance, but if it's obvious that you are making any inappropriate comments towards a country, a team or a player, then you will be warned. If you degrade someone else for supporting a particular team or post inappropriate comments against them, then you will also be warned.

3. These topics will close at the conclusion of the round of 8 matches.

Don't PM us asking why we closed the topics - once this stage is completed, we will close this topic a few days after the final game of this stage.

4. Do not post any other world cup related topics in this section.

No, even if the game was so close and it was so exciting that it deserved a special topic, just for the sake of spam we will limit all game talk in these threads. If you make any other topics, we will close them.

5. Have fun!

------------------

This official thread is the place for you to discuss the knockout stage of these 8 teams: Argentina, Brazil, England, France, Germany, Italy, Portugal, Ukraine

Schedule

30 Jun GER : ARG 17:00

30 Jun ITA : UKR 21:00

01 Jul ENG : POR 17:00

01 Jul BRA : FRA 21:00

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest kittenmasks

I'm about THIS close to stop watching the World Cup. Every team I've rooted for has fallen out thus far, and it's just depressing. It's going to be another face off between the power houses, and I'm sick of watching it.

I hope that Argentina beats Germany tomorrow, but the chances of that are slim considering that playing on your own turf tends to make you that much more motivated to win.

Teams that haven't played very well have advanced purely for the fact that they got paired off well. (i.e. Italy & Ukraine - let's face it. They're just not that great. Netherlands and Spain deserved to stay longer than them.)

Guest rapunzel283

Yea, the WC has lots some of its charm ._.

Nevertheless, I will stay up will 1AM to watch Argentina beat Germany. T_T Lol :P

I dunno, home side advantage... but Argentina have been playing so well /)_(\

Brasil V France will be interesting... :phew:

And England V Portugal. Gah <333333333

Guest kittenmasks

^ I thought Australia was leaving the confederation, thus leaving New Zealand as the only country in Oceania?

Guest Seo Mina

This World Cup has turned out a huge disappointment for me. If Brazil loses to France, I will stop watching entirely.

Guest *rashiDah

^ I thought Australia was leaving the confederation, thus leaving New Zealand as the only country in Oceania?

Yeah, we're joining Asia or something?

Guest keauxz

If Brazil loses to France, I am going to celebrate drinking fine elegant wine from France, the Château Calon-Ségur, a Saint-Estèphe.

Who gives if Brazil is the stronger team and that they are better than ever....I have hope for France. If France loses, oh well... I'd pick France to go on vacation anyday than Brazil. Sorry if i'm too harsh, its late and I'm going through insomnia.

Guest rapunzel283

Australia & NZ were originally gonna try and get 2018, but I think FIFA don't want any more joint thingys. But yea since Australia is 'leaving' Oceania, only NZ would be hosting it... and yea. :unsure: Confusing.

[because it would be Oceania bidding for it, and NZ's the only country with the facilities O_O]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_Worl..._2018#Australia

^ *nods*

Gah. That would be SO AWESOME. It's been 2002 Asia, 2006 Europe, 2010 Africa, 2014 South America, so they're saying it might go to Asia or North America for 2018.

Australia, England, Mexico, the Netherlands and Belgium (joint bid), Spain & Canada [and maybe China] are gonna go for it. I reckon Australia & Canada [and perhaps England] have the better chances, based on where the '02, '06, '10 & '14 are being held, and because neither countries have held WCs before...

COME ON AUSTRALIA!

But I think this is more for the main FIFA official thread so :unsure: lol...

My picks;

Can't choose between Ger & Arg /)_(\

... Italy & Ukraine's going to be a :rolleyes: game. I'll go with Italy though ._.

Eng & Por... gah. Por have been playing very well... but so have England. :unsure:

Brasil & France... I'll go with Brasil, 'cause when they're on fire, they're guns <3

Guest kittenmasks

Damn, I want Spain to host the 2014. I really want to go to Spain. And since I've decided to work for FIFA, there's nothing like an all expense paid vacation... to work.

That'd be cool is Canada hosted it since Vancouver is only a 3-4 hour drive from Seattle. :D

But in 2018 ... I'll probably be living somewhere else. xD

Man. The Argentina game is at 12 AM in Korea. I'm so tired right now. haha

Maybe I'll just have to sleep through it and wait for results. >.<

Guest YEHJIN.

i hope argentina beats germany today! so that eventually they can meet brazil >D now THAT would be cool to watch.

Guest Hiatus

9hr away from each game gREATT I can get a 8hr shift at my job since im working full time during those 9hr break and wont miss the matches wahahahahah wonderfullll

Guest keauxz

Argentina is clearly the better skilled team, excellent ball handeling and great executions.

Germany, eh....just big tall germans

Go Arg!

Archived