Joo Won 주원 [Drama- The Midnight Studio/ 야한(夜限) 사진관]

flutterby06

I'd said earlier that I would share some more of my favourite JW dance videos, so here we go!

These first two are dance covers from some of his fanmeetings. The first one's from the 2013 Tokyo Fanmeeting, where he did a lipsync dance cover of PSY's "Gangnam Style". The second one is from the 2014 Tokyo Fanmeeting, and is his cover of JYP's "Honey".

Personally, I prefer both of JW's covers to the original dances. To be honest, I didn't like either "Gangnam Style" or "Honey" to begin with, in terms of choreography. Maybe it's just me, but one of my pet peeves is when singers and dancers have to perform sexually explicit moves like pelvic thrusts. I get uncomfortable watching dances like that, because I feel like they objectify the person who is performing, not to mention the fact that I prefer watching stuff that's a bit more family friendly.

Given that, I noticed in both of these dance covers, especially for "Honey", that JW tones things down just a tad from the original. Seriously, look up a video of JYP performing "Honey", and you'll see what I mean. In comparison, JW's hip movements are not as strong as JYP's, and he instead focuses more on pumping his arms. The result, in my opinion, is something that's more sensual than sexual: it hints at virility without laying it all out for everyone to see.

As for "Gangnam Style"...I'm afraid there's not much that can be done to modify the "Hey, sexy lady!" parts, which, in my opinion, end up simulating sex in a very explicit manner. But JW does a good enough job with the rest of the dance that I could sort-of-kind-of ignore that.

Next: I mentioned that JW danced in "Gaksital", so here's the footage in case anyone hasn't seen it, or needs a reminder. A nice bonus with this compilation of clips is that you also hear him sing one of the funniest songs I've heard thus far in a K-drama (the video's not subbed, but there's something about Oppas and bulgogi and tteokbokki and...I dunno, it just cracks me up every time).

And, finally, a completely silly routine that's probably a classic around here: JW's dance cover of an Orange Caramel song for 1N2D...in drag.

You can really see how his dancing style is different from Jong Min's - although I personally think that Jong Min was purposefully dancing "badly" and in a really jerky manner for laughs.

• Like 5
  • Blob 1

Wow this thread is moving quickly! 

@kittyna That 2006 Frees video you shared is a rare gem!!! Thanks to you pointing him out in that blurry video. I doubt I can spot him with my eyes. He was such a fresh young face back then. His transformation from a boy-next-door in 2006 to a manly and charismatic doctor in 2015's YP was amazing. I felt it's a great pity many kdramas audiences who love his acting do not know he can dance so well. Some may know he can sing well but not many has seen his dance performance on stage. He dances so naturally like a pro!

Which reminds me of this scene in 1N2D. Watch him after he recovered from a fall and reached the finishing line. There are many ways to act cute but me thinks there's a natural dancer in him :D

• Like 5

Joo Won's Talent Scorecard

Acting - 10/10

Singing - 10/10

Dancing - 10/10

Foreign languages - 7/10 (He has sang in English, Chinese, Jap, Thai before. Not forgetting his Chinese lines in recent drama MSG)

Does he have other talents? 

I think some new fans may not know he had dubbed Nico the reindeer in an animation video.

How cute was he as Nico the reindeer? That's another talent I must say! Unfortunately I can't understand what he was saying.. But a fellow soompi member @manyearsago had previously translated JW's thoughts in Nico 2 Press Conference here

Another impressive talent - He only took 5 months to learn violin and conducting. Even the conductor / musical director for the drama Tomorrow Cantabile wanted him to join the conducting profession.

This may not be counted as a talent but I was really impressed with his bravery. Totally changed my impression of him being a cute maknae in 2012.

I missed 1N2D season 2 with JW sooo much. I wasn't his fan when I watched that season in 2012 so I wonder if rewatching the epsiodes will be more enjoyable. Anyone wants to join me?

• Like 5

12 hours ago, sagaseed said:

I think some new fans may not know he had dubbed Nico the reindeer in an animation video.

:D Thanks for sharing that video! Watching clips from the Korean version of Nico is another one of those things that just cracks me up - it's like every single character has his/her voice, but then whenever Nico starts speaking, I just hear JW and that throws me out of the story a bit. Not in a bad, "This is distracting way," but in a funnier, "Hey, I know that voice!" way.

Seeing how he performs as an actor on screen and on stage, though, I knew right off the bat that JW would be a good voice actor. So much of his acting technique is based on how he uses his voice, after all.

This may not be counted as a talent but I was really impressed with his bravery. Totally changed my impression of him being a cute maknae in 2012.

Love that scene - thanks for the reminder :) I like that the show put the emphasis not on the mission (i.e. earn 30,000 won with a bungee jump), but on JW's taking an extra step as the maknae. As the maknae, he wouldn't lose face for refusing to jump - either from the get-go or once he's all suited up - but he did it anyway. Inversely, it's his decision to jump that then put a lot of pressure on Uhm Tae Woong to go next - because if the maknae can do something scary or dangerous, then you'd lose face if you refuse.

I do remember from "Life Log",though, that JW claimed that his agreement to jump was an impulse decision and that, given the option, he wouldn't do it again.

I don't know how to make GIFs, so I can't post a video of what he says, but here's how it's put in Joo Won Cutie's subs:

Female PD or Writer: Can you do the bungee jump?

JW: For that, not really...

PD/Writer: Is it boring?

JW: That's not something that is enjoyable.

Lee Se Wook: It's scary.

PD/Writer: It's scary, right?

*everyone laughs*

JW: I have really considered it...but it is suicidal. Isn't it so?

*footage cuts to JW talking about his past bungee jump*

JW: While asking myself, "Why can't I do it?"

Min Jin Woong: For one hour?

JW: I was worried all the time, then I said, "I'll do it," and regretted it immediately after. *slapping his mouth* "This mouth said something unnecessary." After that -

PD/Writer: Then wouldn't it be fine if you do it this time?

JW: I can't do it!

PD/Writer: You wouldn't know if you will die?

JW: I didn't die. *laughs* It was okay.

PD/Writer: You said it's suicidal just now...

I missed 1N2D season 2 with JW sooo much. I wasn't his fan when I watched that season in 2012 so I wonder if rewatching the epsiodes will be more enjoyable. Anyone wants to join me?

I started watching 1N2D Season 2 after I found out JW was in it. I haven't finished watching the whole set, though. Full disclosure, the scandal surrounding UTW last year has made me a lot more reluctant to watch 1N2D :( : it's not that I won't watch or that I don't enjoy it anymore, but...I just find myself less eager to pick up an episode and watch it, and instead spend my leisure time watching other things (e.g. "Life Log" and JW's other variety show appearances).

I do want to clarify, however, that I really like the Season 2 cast as a whole, still - especially Cha Tae Hyun, Kim Jong Min, Sung Si Kyung and Yu Hae Jin and, of course, Joo Won himself. :)

• Like 4

Wow..The thread is moving steadily..:D 

Many topics came, I see.

About Free's.. The only music video I let my little nephew watch from my mobile phone is this and he watches it with so much fondness. B) And I like to think that it's his favorite..I know I'm a selfish aunt. :lol:

I saw a video of JW dancing with the song of Nobody Nobody But You by Wonder Girls ( I came to know this song from that video) where JW looked very cute dancing. :wub: I wanted to share it but sadly the video got deleted by the user( I should've downloaded it :().

On 8/11/2017 at 9:41 AM, sagaseed said:

Me me.. I actually started watching 1n2d in the start of this year, but paused at half way as MSG started. I'll start it again. I really love it that members of season 2 are very brotherly and how they absolutely adores JW.

On 8/11/2017 at 9:41 AM, sagaseed said:

While I'm not new, I found out about this recently and searched a lot for the Korean dubbed version. But then understood that there's no reason for K dub to be uploaded as it was only made to show it in Korean movie theater. But I really wanted to hear/watch JW's voice acting. 

I actually think I still have not seen a lot of videos related JW. Because before I only used to watch subbed interviews and variety appearances and live songs. After the news of his enlistment, I started searching a lot about JW and discovered many things. 

Other than KBS Entertainment Weekly MBS section Tv did a lot of interviews with JW ( I think these two are very fond of JW). I wish MBC, SBS and other Korean Channle would start to sub their YT videos though. This is why I love it when my favorite/followed actors work with KBS. They're very good at promoting drama with many nice variety appearances and bts stories,videos and interviews which also get realeased with eng sub.

Now a good news..JW's IG account got varified.. :D

• Like 5

2 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

About Free's.. The only music video I let my little nephew watch from my mobile phone is this and he watches it with so much fondness. B) And I like to think that it's his favorite..I know I'm a selfish aunt. :lol:

lol - Starting your nephew early, aren't you? :wink: Jokes aside, though, that's a very cute video. Thanks for sharing!

I actually think I still have not seen a lot of videos related JW. Because before I only used to watch dubbed interviews and variety appearances and live songs. After the news of his enlistment, I started searching a lot about JW and discovered many things. 

I know what you mean; it's like stumbling upon little gems along the way. Sometimes, you just never know what you'll stumble across (I've watched enough JW videos that new things have now started showing up on my YouTube recommendations :tongue:), or what someone else will share, like on this forum.

Other than KBS Entertainment Weekly MBS section Tv did a lot of interviews with JW ( I think these two are very fond of JW). I wish MBC, SBS and other Korean Channle would start to sub their YT videos though. This is why I love it when my favorite/followed actors work with KBS. They're very good at promoting drama with many nice variety appearances and bts stories,videos and interviews which also get realeased with eng sub.

Same here. It's so frustrating seeing MBC, SBS, JTBC, etc. post things on YouTube...and then it's just in Korean. Great for those trying to learn the language, and I find it's fine for musical performances, but interviews...that's tough.

Fans, however, are still the best source for subbed materials, from my experience. However, there's a pecking order in terms of availability:

1. Idol group members

2. Hallyu star actors

3. Non-Hallyu star actors

4. Non-idol group singers

JW...fits somewhere in between 1 and 2, actually. I know that the consensus on this forum is that he's not quite Hallyu in the conventional sense, and he's definitely not an idol group member! However, he's got some really hard-working fans who just keep churning things out. Some translating sites have trailed off by now, though, so I haven't found anything with English subtitles newer than early 2016. If anyone's got a good source out there for his newest, please do share with all of us :)

Now a good news..JW's IG account got varified..

Forgive my ignorance, but what does it mean for someone's Instagram account to be verified?

• Like 4

With the coming weekend I'm extremely busy and so just can manage to skim through. Would love to repond to you all....but that will br later. Right now ... to keep the page buzzing here's like a fusion clip.... modelling in modern clothes fused with scenes of his sageuk.... Niceeeeeeee !!

Keep up the discussion peeps... you're doing fine. We can reach 5 millions ....

• Like 3

On 2017-08-10 at 10:04 PM, sagaseed said:

I felt it's a great pity many kdramas audiences who love his acting do not know he can dance so well. Some may know he can sing well but not many has seen his dance performance on stage. He dances so naturally like a pro!

Just to clarify that I saw this comment when it was first posted, but took so long to respond because I was thinking of what to say.

I do agree that he dances naturally, as you said - JW's got a good sense of rhythm and musicality, which he has attributed to the brief period when he took music lessons as a child (drawing off the link you'd posted). So the way he moves tends to reflect that, as though there's a beat that's going on inside his head.

lol - JW shared a funny anecdote about how this natural tendency could lead to some weird moments, though. :D In his appearance on "Win Win" in 2012, he was asked by the hosts whether he went clubbing. They were, at this point, astonished that he's got "bad boy" looks but actually seemed to be a good kid. This is what he said:

(Again, since I can't make GIFs, and don't want to embed the entire subbed episode, which is more than one hour long, I'll just write out the conversation. Note: I know Lee Su Geun and Kim Seung Woo's names, but I don't know the third host's name, so I'm calling him MC for now)

MC: Have you ever been to a nightclub?

JW: Sure, but I don't really like clubs -

MC: You don't like anything!

JW: I learned to dance in the past. My teacher spoke of the big speakers at clubs. The vibration's so strong it could rip through your heart. He said you had to dance and feel that vibration. He said it would improve my dancing. I was a beginner just learning to do a chest bounce. You raise your chest like this *demonstrates by bobbing up and down a few times* The teacher, myself and another student...we went to a club in Gangnam. "Okay, I want to feel it too." I danced so hard. I discovered that no one came near me. No one came close to me.

Kim Seung Woo: Why?

JW: Most people dance like this *sways back and forth in his seat* I was running and dancing. My teacher and the other student ran away. They were too embarrassed. They ran away. My teacher told me to just feel it, not dance like that.

JW was then asked by the hosts to demonstrate what his dancing was like, and it turned into a full-scale re-enactment with them playing the other dancers, and JW being himself. It's pretty funny - you can see for yourself in this video (start at 1:33):

I don't know if the story JW told was from his high school, university or musical days (okay, the last two overlap, but you know what I mean). Point is: if it predates his musical theatre career, that means he was already dancing like he was on stage...before he was on stage. Just can't seem to hold it in, huh? :wink:

• Like 5

@kittyna Just to add on, Joo Won said he learnt Jazz for 3 years. It seems to be the most basic dance that most art school offer. 

4jU0yqB.png

Source: https://joowoncutie.wordpress.com/2016/03/12/osakafm2016/

His Win Win episode was quite hilarious, yet insightful. I just love his friendship with Park Ki Woong. You just know that the both of them will get up to no good if they spend too much time together. That weird dance they both do to hype each other was just so them lol. 

The other emcee's name is Tak Jae Hoon. Back in 2013, him and Lee Su Geun were both involved in a gambling scandal. It was one of the reasons why 2D1N S2 had such an abrupt ending.

I wouldn't be surprised if Huayi pulled Joo Won from the show the minute the scandal was known to industry insiders. At the time, Joo Won was an up and coming actor with loads of potential, it wouldn't have done him much good to stay on the show.

Source: https://www.soompi.com/2013/11/10/lee-soo-geun-tak-jae-hoon-and-others-under-investigation-for-illegal-gambling/

I always feel kinda uncomfortable whenever I rewatch 2D1N and see Uhm Tae Woong and Joo Won together. I get that the scandal was at least 5 years after they both left the show, but I just can't help feeling bitter and uncomfortable. Am I the only to feel this way? 

I'm glad that Yoo Hae Jin seems to be closer to Joo Won these days. Yoo Hae Jin talked about how when he heard that Joo Won was enlisting, he went to a food tent and drank and thought about the times they shared together and realised he wanted to be a hyung that Joo Won could easily go to for advice. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, airplanegirl said:

Just to add on, Joo Won said he learnt Jazz for 3 years. It seems to be the most basic dance that most art school offer. 

4jU0yqB.png

Source: https://joowoncutie.wordpress.com/2016/03/12/osakafm2016/

Thanks for filling me in. :)

His Win Win episode was quite hilarious, yet insightful. I just love his friendship with Park Ki Woong. You just know that the both of them will get up to no good if they spend too much time together. That weird dance they both do to hype each other was just so them lol. 

lol - I can see how they would, as you put it, "get up to no good if they spend too much time together". Watching JW and PKW together when they're not in character is hilarious. Granted, while filming "Gaksital", it could get really weird seeing them goofing off while still in their "bloody" costumes, but there you go. Personally, I like what their closeness suggests: that they completely trusted each other while filming. I think with something like "Gaksital", you'd need that.

At the same time, though, I take comfort in the fact that their "no good" is so...innocently childish. When it comes to 20-somethings (PKW's 30+ by now, but at the time he was in his 20s) and the phrase "getting up to no good", I tend to imagine something quite different from what JW and PKW thought of. It makes me think that both of them have rather clean definitions of fun - I do think JW does, and that probably factors into his choice of friends.

The other emcee's name is Tak Jae Hoon. Back in 2013, him and Lee Su Geun were both involved in a gambling scandal. It was one of the reasons why 2D1N S2 had such an abrupt ending.

I wouldn't be surprised if Huayi pulled Joo Won from the show the minute the scandal was known to industry insiders. At the time, Joo Won was an up and coming actor with loads of potential, it wouldn't have done him much good to stay on the show.

JW's leaving 1N2D seems to have been the result of several unfortunate circumstances. I do believe the official statement that it's because he has to start rehearsals for "Ghost" and thus can't disappear ever other weekend to film a variety show. That, to me, makes logical sense. I knew about Lee Su Geun's scandal - not that it was with Tak Jae Hoon, though - but thought that was more of a contributing factor to the season's abrupt end than JW's disappearance itself.

Personally, I think a lot of it would have come down to the pressure that JW himself felt to deliver - his post-1N2D comments saying that he felt bad about the negative comments he got (saying he was useless on the show) are so sad. He'd hinted at it various points prior to the final episode - I remember in the episode when he had to be part of the night watch that in the recreated prison, he was asked to confess three things he felt bad about. I think the PDs and writers were expecting some sort of joke response like they got out of Jong Min when he got to the same point, but to see JW so wholeheartedly apologizing to his father (for failing to get him a birthday present), the hyungs (for not doing enough as the maknae), and the audience (for not being funny enough for variety TV)...it made me want to reach out and pat him on the shoulder. I wanted him to see so badly that people loved him just as he was. :(

I always feel kinda uncomfortable whenever I rewatch 2D1N and see Uhm Tae Woong and Joo Won together. I get that the scandal was at least 5 years after they both left the show, but I just can't help feeling bitter and uncomfortable. Am I the only to feel this way? 

I feel that way - hence why I mentioned it in passing earlier. And if you thought 1N2D is tough, try finding out about the scandal after being a huge fan of UTW's segment on "Return of Superman". I do feel that UTW's not a bad person in and of himself and that what we saw on 1N2D and Superman were genuine - but sometimes, it just takes one mistake to leave a bad taste in someone's mouth and, for me, that's what happened here.

I'm going to confess that one of the first things that came to my mind when I found out about the scandal - besides the obvious, "What is his family going to think?" - was "What must JW think about this? He must be hit hard as well." I know from experience that being let down by someone you look up to can be devastating - and to this day, I fear this more than anything else.

Just an aside: a rather crazy side effect of all of this is that I have since had nightmares - seriously: literal "scare me so much I wake up in tears" nightmares - where I see a headline saying that JW's involved in something like sexual assault, prostitution, drugs, etc. In all seriousness, as much as I like him for what I see of his character, somewhere in the back of my mind, I'm always afraid that it's a sham. I tell myself, "JW's either real - or he's the biggest con I've ever seen." You can say I don't have enough faith, but I can't help it.

So, like you, I'm glad that JW also has so many other hyungs he could look up to as role models: off the top of my head, I know he's mentioned Yu Hae Jin and Cha Tae Hyun as hyungs he could reach out to, and I am glad to see that.

I also want to add, since we're on the subject of 1N2D that scandals aside, I still really like Season 2. I learned so much about all of the cast members just by watching their interactions, and would like to share my thoughts on that at some later date when I have enough time to write out another long-ish spiel. So, @airplanegirl, it might be long in coming, but when I am ready to pick up this conversation from where it leaves off, I'll make sure to tag you and let you know. :)

• Like 3

On 8/12/2017 at 2:24 AM, kittyna said:

(I've watched enough JW videos that new things have now started showing up on my YouTube recommendations :tongue:)

lol..same here.YT recommendation is now full of JW after my intensive search for a few weeks. :D

On 8/12/2017 at 2:24 AM, kittyna said:

Forgive my ignorance, but what does it mean for someone's Instagram account to be verified?

When personal accounts get verified it means that Instagram acknowledge the account as the original account of the said person. It's also same with Twitter of Facebook. A blue tick mark beside the account name is used to show that the account is verified.

I feel sad that something like this happened. JW looked up to UTW so very much. And there's some part where I can't help but laugh at UTW's antics( as I started watching 2d1n only recently) and again be sad that this person actually later did something so shameful.

• Like 4

I'm on holiday and using an iPad is not the best way to post. The post keeps disappearing and pictures get relocated . The touchscreen is too sensitive . When I get back to my computer I lol be able to do a better job. This is too cramping . But I do want to say you peeps are so supportive posting pictures, updating and your views. So until then.... Days recorded by waiting fans. Nice. 

• Like 3

@flutterby06 @kittyna @airplanegirl 

I feel the same way too. It was really shocking when I first heard about UTW's scandal. He seems to be such a dork in 2D1N behind his intense on screen persona. In fact, when I first watched season 2 in 2012, my focus was on him instead of JW because I was most familiar with him, having watched and liked most of his old dramas.  Apart from feeling shocked and disappointed, my first thought after the scandal was also how our kind-hearted JW will react. He had always looked up to him after his first movie S.I.U where UTW was the lead character. He played a detective and I remembered JW said he was impressed with his manliness while learning lots about movie filming from him. They were both signed with Sim Entertainment then (now Huayi) and UTW was the big hyung who shared with him lots of stories and experiences before JW joined 2D1N. Every member in 2D1N could tell JW really loved UTW very much and they spoke of each other fondly in interviews / shows. He even made a guest appearance in JW's 2013 drama 7LCS. However, during tons of interviews after Yongpal drama ended in 2015, JW always talked about how close he was with YHJ and I wondered why he never mentioned UTW. I thought JW was being extremely careful not to speak of someone who left his agency. Thinking back, I chose to believe JW himself knew UTW had changed and they possibly drifted apart after 2014. No doubt it will be hard to watch 2D1N again without being reminded of UTW's scandal. The only thing I can do is to shift my focus on JW and fast forward those scenes with UTW without JW heh. 

JW once spoke of how impressed he is with KTH for being so pure despite being in the entertainment industry for so long. I believe he must have seen the dark side of fellow artistes in the entertainment industry and knew how hard it is to resist temptations. But I trust he is mature and highly disciplined as he holds strongly to his goal of becoming a more humane actor :)

• Like 4

@lavender2love @kittyna you're most w/come chingoos, it's a pleasure sharing it with you guys!! :) thx also for sharing your first interest in kdramas, i first saw KTH in i believe Stairway to Heaven, then Love Story in Harvard but although i admire her beauty then i was more paying attention to the K actors hahaha but lately seeing her agian in My Princess i became her fan and of course Yong pal! Mind you guys i had a v bz w/end trying to finish Baker King & proudly say i did finish it yday LOL; then just finished JW's two movies Fatal Intuition and Sweet Sixteen (the latter was a surprise for me bc of his role in this Chinese movie) i'm almost certain that you all have seen both movies by this time since i'm a late-comer in some of his projects! Wow @kittyna you're a JW fan pioneer hat's off to you! I agree w/you his being special at that i'm sure makes us fans fall for him - his persona, etc charisma and other good qualities in him which i must say is quite unique in every sense of the word! A real special guy at that!  BTW,  LOL i've seen/watched that vid of Orange Caramel the other day & had to be amused with his looks and dance moves hahaha he's super cute!

• Like 3