Joo Won 주원 [Drama- The Midnight Studio/ 야한(夜限) 사진관]

flutterby06

When someone unplugs your tv and you let him....

1471957978%201_zpsj272tu9m.jpg

and while you are at the sound system, why leave me on my sofa? 

1471957978%203_zpsgfjtdtmi.jpg

1471957978_zpsivevt364.jpg

Dang, it's getting hot in here...

1471957978%202_zps3c3x3woz.jpg

1471957979_zpsekrat0sa.jpg

cr JW DC

pssst...do you think the aliens will resist him or apply for residence here? 

• Like 7

On 2016-08-11 at 3:37 PM, liria said:

This film Sweet Sixteen has the rape romanticizing ?? Because from what I know, the character Joo Won "loves" the girl he rapes and suffers for her to the end. I have not read the book, so I wanted someone to give me an explanation :( 

On 2016-08-11 at 3:52 PM, mrdimples said:

WooooooT!!! Welcome to Joo Won thread @liria

I have not read the book but without the context, I think in any situation, it doesn't matter whether a guy loved the girl he raped, rape is rape.

With China restricting Korean actors and collaborations, I think it may for the better that Joo Won's part is downplayed since his character came across as a one dimensional villain. 

I still remember freaking out over Plastic Sisters and some insipid romance drama, I am just glad those days are over. 

I needed to check this out, because honestly, I can not bear to be a huge fan of a guy who accepted such a role in a movie where rape is romantized.

From MDL user "nyny":

Spoiler

I haven't watched the film yet but the book doesn't romanticize rape at all. 

Joo Won plays an antagonistic character who is pretty messed up in the book and tries to destroy Yawang and Xiao Tian's pure relationship. His actions are what create the tragedy that is core of Summer Tears in Paradise (Sweet Sixteen)

Hopefully the movie will have it like the original novel. And Dimples, are you trying to get my desk all wet with drool posting those pictures?! tumblr_n4oafjORPN1rdfgw4o1_500.gif

Welcome to all who are new here :D

I am not sure if you are just new on this thread or a new Joo Won fan. Just like to give you all a heads up on what to expect on this thread. 

#We don't put Joo Won on a pedestal or build a golden statue in his likeness

We had wanted to put Joo Won on the floor or bed etc but hardly on a pedestal. Yes, we love this guy and think he's a great actor. We just don't elevate him to god-like status like how some fandoms do. 

#We want and wish the best for Joo Won

You might see some criticisms and negativity here but they aren't aimed at Joo Won.  Often, we voiced our frustrations about his agency and his participation in projects which we aren't even sure if he has any say in it. 

Regarding this...

16 hours ago, juliacaesar said:

I needed to check this out, because honestly, I can not bear to be a huge fan of a guy who accepted such a role in a movie where rape is romantized.

From MDL user "nyny":

Eh...the movie was bad but still, they didn't romanticized rape. Honestly, I don't care about fans who can't tell the difference between acting and reality. Am I the only fan who want Joo Won to play a serial killer or something? 

1 hour ago, Ma OO said:

Did you all read the recent drama of My Sassy Girl? 

Wow, it just got Dumb and Dumber! 

Sorry, I got to say this, Sim or is it called Huayi Brothers now? They have the opposite of the Midas touch. Can they just stop producing dramas or leave Joo Won out of their projects? 

• Like 3

I have watched Sweet Sixteen and I would differ from others perspective, rape scene is not romanticized in that movie, it is about three men whose life entangles with Yawang(female character). 
Btw JooWon had read the script of Sweet Sixteen meticulously before he adheres to play Qui Wei Ran character and he sees no harm for him as an actor. Sometimes the movie differs from the book, as what I have observed. The script writers makes some twist, to let the film survive because there is always Board of Censors in any countries the producers target to release their films.

As a fan I know my boundaries, and I don't question whatever decision he makes, why, he knows better that's why he is JooWon, and he has a place in Kentertaiment. JooWon is the namja who is intelligent enough to decipher his trajectory in life esp. career wise. That said I'm not a blind follower, just admires JooWon and love what he does.

Btw YONGPAL  serves as the catalyst at that point in time for the trajectory of Kdramas waning ratings back on track again.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, mrdimples said:

Eh...the movie was bad but still, they didn't romanticized rape. Honestly, I don't care about fans who can't tell the difference between acting and reality. Am I the only fan who want Joo Won to play a serial killer or something? 

Good to hear then! I just meant that I don't support rape being romantized in a movie. If Joo Won would play a serial killer or some other antagonist in something I'd be taking a time travel machine so I can watch that instantly, it would be totally amazing (probably won't be watching My Sweet Sixteen though). 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Ma OO said:

Did you all read the recent drama of My Sassy Girl? 

http://www.allkpop.com/article/2016/08/sbs-responds-to-controversy-surrounding-my-sassy-girl-casting

I thought JW drama hasn't started but It has started a long time ago. Some talented writers should write the script using this situation. :P

I wonder if HuaYi Brothers (JW's agency) will now pull out from this drama since they now became the scapegoat. If the broadcaster thinks so lowly of this drama including the casting process, why are they still holding on to it? 

And, I thought the director Oh Jin Seok was involved in the whole casting process for the female lead? Now he is a SBS employee?

• Like 2

17 hours ago, ctfrsgp said:

I wonder if HuaYi Brothers (JW's agency) will now pull out from this drama since they now became the scapegoat. If the broadcaster thinks so lowly of this drama including the casting process, why are they still holding on to it? 

And, I thought the director Oh Jin Seok was involved in the whole casting process for the female lead? Now he is a SBS employee?

Is everyone blaming everyone else now? 

Oh Jin Suk has always been an SBS employee.  And so I doubt he was directly involved in the early stages of casting since SBS didn't officially pick the drama up until partway through the casting process, right?  I would also have assumed that he probably would have been involved in the final decision, even if only completely unofficially (he's the director after all).  Maybe not, though.  SBS was probably smart enough to stay out of it officially so they could reserve the right to have their own say.

And reading that statement from SBS...why are they explaining the decision to choose based on both audition and netizen voting?  That was the original plan (was it not?), and how they ended up with Kim Joo Hyun?  It makes no sense, and doesn't explain why they're backing out now. 

None of this makes sense.

And the new maybe-title (Bizarre Joseon Love Story) just makes me think of this.  Which I guess is not bad, lol.  I might change my mind about this train wreck if they decide to use that song as the theme song or something. :D

• Like 3

Love Express trailer

Coincidentally, I was just shaking my head at one particular scene in a current drama. Girl springs surprise kiss on Guy and Guy just goes wide eyed staring straight ahead. I mean this is a familiar trope which needs to be killed like over and over again. So it struck me that Joo Won's version in this trailer is different and sits well with me. 

6ca496510fb30f24c18ce7bac095d143ad4b0325

screencap from Joo Won Baidu

Okay, I really don't mean to be like this. It's getting frustrating. 

• Like 3

Good news per arirang tv JooWon is working now on his sci-fi action blockbuster film with a working title 

'Overtime' wherein he acts as 'Seo Ki-woong' a rookie agent who's full of manly qualities.Tentative release schedule end of this year. 

Hope this is a Korean production :blush:

• Like 2

On 8/11/2016 at 5:37 PM, Ma OO said:

You know you need to set different standard to watch dramas after watching Joo Won. This might also be one reason why I could never...NEVER finish Korean dramas with actors who are similar to JW age.Because I kept comparing them.

Oh dear dear.....I think it's happening again to me. Gonna downgrade someone on my list and he's one of the few whom I have been quite positive about. Am I left with ahjussis only? 

It's not because of their acting that I cannot finish the drama but I do end up being critical of the actor's performance and thinking Joo Won can do better. 

Believe me, I try very hard not to do this. I prefer to enjoy each actor's performance on its own. But damn, it always sneaks up on me at some point. 

8 hours ago, mrdimples said:

Oh dear dear.....I think it's happening again to me. Gonna downgrade someone on my list and he's one of the few whom I have been quite positive about. Am I left with ahjussis only? 

It's not because of their acting that I cannot finish the drama but I do end up being critical of the actor's performance and thinking Joo Won can do better. 

Believe me, I try very hard not to do this. I prefer to enjoy each actor's performance on its own. But damn, it always sneaks up on me at some point. 

I am quite sure I am left with ahjussis only... The youngest actor I like now is 32 from Japan... XD

Oh Yeon Seo is the Sassy Girl. 

Read it on Joo Won Baidu who's been quite reliable. 

I loved her in Come Back Ahjussi and would have reacted with a lot more excitement if I haven't been taken for a wild ride by this casting hullabaloo. Things can't possibly get worse from now on, can it? 

Just saw this on allkpop

http://www.allkpop.com/article/2016/08/joo-won-oh-yeon-seo-jungshin-and-more-attend-1st-my-sassy-girl-drama-script-reading

wait...did they actually wrote "Oh Yeon Seo has likely been cast as the female lead"? 

• Like 4

21 hours ago, mrdimples said:

The weird way I confirm who's cast

1472459121_zpszo2ysnam.jpg

Oh, the filming is underway. I think it's not a bad thing to lie low though given so much negativity. 

Lie low and sleep forever... Sorry... Not so happy with how production did to the young actress. I am not soooooooooo excited at all.

3 hours ago, Ma OO said:

Lie low and sleep forever.

That's easy for us but I feel for Joo Won. 

I had been thinking what is it like for him to be in situation. Today, on his way to filming, he post an new IG today with a message 

"Though the weather is gloomy, I am/filled with Super Power(it's a Korean slang for filled with lots of energy)"

Well, deja vu isn't it? He's always the one maintaining the positiveness and cheering everyone on when it should be the other way round. 

• Like 5

Was browsing on IG and chanced upon this post on this actor Seo Hyun Woo who is JW's co-star in Fatal Intuition. IG gives a crappy translation. Can a kind soul translate what is written in the comments on uri Wonnie, please? :)

• Like 4