Jo Hyun Jae 조현재//ジョー·ヒョンジェ/赵显

prissymom

Thanks KdramFan and willenette for replying to my post. Will try to hunt down Rays of Sunshine and Potato Boy. :)

Btw: Potato Boy is a period drama right? Is he the main lead or the 2nd lead? Can you tell me the storyline, just briefly if you don't mind? I saw Rays of Sunshine yesterday at the local video store but is dubbed in chinese. I really want to watch the drama in korean with english sub. Do you know where I can buy it? Thanks in advance.

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest KdramFan

Thanks KdramFan and willenette for replying to my post. Will try to hunt down Rays of Sunshine and Potato Boy. :)

Btw: Potato Boy is a period drama right? Is he the main lead or the 2nd lead? Can you tell me the storyline, just briefly if you don't mind? I saw Rays of Sunshine yesterday at the local video store but is dubbed in chinese. I really want to watch the drama in korean with english sub. Do you know where I can buy it? Thanks in advance.

Jo Hyun Jae is the lead character in Potato Boy (or Seodongyo). He plays Seo Dong (literal translation, Potato Boy) whose mother was a palace dancer and who was impregnated by the King of Baekje. The king was weak and his power was constrained by his relatives and other royals. Due to the palace politics, the mother was forced into an exile and left a man she loved. Seo Dong grew up as a smart but unruly kid who did not know who his father was. His mother then sent him to study under the man she loved who has now become the chief palace scholar. However, a twist of fate sent the group of palace scholars including Seo Dong into exile in the neighboring warring country, Shilla. That's where Seo Dong met the princess of Shilla, Seon Hwa, and fell in love with her. Their relationship went through lots of turbulence because of their different stations in life. The love they have for each other and the sacrifice they are willing to undertake for each other is very touching to watch. With the help of Princess Seon Hwa, Seo Dong learned of his true parentage. Later, the king and the crown prince of Baekje were murdered by the king's nephew, and Seo Dong fought back and became King Mu of Baekje. After many obstacles, he finally marries Seon Hwa, the princess of Shilla. King Mu became a good king who instituted a lot of good policies to better the life of his people.

I apologize for a very brief summary of Potato Boy (Seodongyo). The whole story is actually full of twists and turns and is a much more intense show than Jewel in the Palace (Dae Jang Geum). I thoroughly enjoyed watching Seodongyo and of course, Jo Hyun Jae, looks so cute in his princely outfit. It is the only show that I stayed up until 6 am to watch and I hope you will enjoy it as well. Following is an excerpt from YA entertainment about Seodongyo just in case you would like more info.

"Before Romeo and Juliet and Chunhyang, there was Seo Dong and Seon Hwa. The fated love between Princess Seon Hwa of the Shilla kingdom and Seo Dong, the future King Mu of the Baekje kingdom, is a classic tale set in Shakespearean lore. It is immortalized in Seo Dong Yo, or "The Ballad of Seo Dong", an old Korean folk song that spread quickly through the palace and the country during the Shilla period. This age-old story now receives new life under Lee Byung Hoon, the man behind masterpieces like Dae Jang Geum and Hur Jun. Lee gives a new spin to usual historical drama formula by focusing on scientific aspects of the period instead of the usual conflict between Baekje and Shilla. With stars Jo Hyun Jae (Love Letter), Lee Bo Young (Mr. Good-bye), and Ryu Jin (Summer Scent) on board, Seo Dong Yo promises to be as innovative and engaging as Lee's previous historical dramas.

Seo Dong (Jo Hyun Jae) is just a commoner, a technician who grew up in Baekje's prestigious Taehaksa Institute, but his life is on the brink of extraordinary change. His love for Shilla's Princess Seon Hwa (Lee Bo Young) transforms his life forever, and he carries a secret that could alter the fate of the Baekje kingdom. "

Following is an excerpt from YA entertainment about Seodongyo just in case you would like more info.

Do you mean Yesasia? Although they are trying to get the rights to an American release, YAEntertainment has nothing on their site. If they do I'm sure their version will be much better than the SBS, but if they cannot get the rights to the 16:9 version then it becomes an exercise in futility.

Guest KdramFan

Do you mean Yesasia? Although they are trying to get the rights to an American release, YAEntertainment has nothing on their site. If they do I'm sure their version will be much better than the SBS, but if they cannot get the rights to the 16:9 version then it becomes an exercise in futility.

Yes, I do mean YesAsia. Sorry.

Yes, I do mean YesAsia. Sorry.

But I should have also said your summary was quite well done and captured the essence of the main story. Although the story is complex and multi-layered, your summary makes it compelling and interesting.

Guest ericmania

Hi,I'm new fan of Jo Hyun Jae.love him in Seo Dong drama.

Long time no post!

Just to let you guys know that Seodongyo will be aired here on channel 3 Thailand starting December 10. All of us at Jo Hyun Jae Thailand Fanatic are so excited!!!!!!

http://johyunjaefanatic.f4thefic.com/

Right now there are so many local threads talking about our lovely Hyun Jae and Seodongyo. And the good news is Only You will also be aired on Channel 7 next year following A Love to Kill. I'm sure Hyun Jae will have a lot more Thai fans!!!!!! Yeah!!!! He deserves that.

omg.Really only you will be air on Channel 7 in 2007 .wow. it's great news.I'm Thai fans.

Guest badhairday

Hi, I'm new to this thread and currently watching his drama Only You. I've to say Jo Hyun Jae is a very charming and handsome actor especially when he smile. I also own Love Letter, will definitely start on that drama after Only U. Just wondering if anybody can recommend Jo Hyun Jae's other dramas that are worth buying/watching. :)

Definitely watch Gumiho if you have a chance. It's one of the most unique dramas that I've ever seen and that's where I fell in love with Hyun Jae.

Guest KdramFan

watch loveletter...it's his best drama for me

I read from this thread of such rave reviews about Love Letter, so I went ahead and ordered a copy yesterday, but I am curious about the ending. I usually shy away from sad endings. Can anyone tell me if this show has a happy, sad, or ambiguous ending? Thanks.

Guest hyunjae_veyveh

hi sickako taga-pilipinas din ako. hehe!

mabuhay!! me too.. welcome!

I read from this thread of such rave reviews about Love Letter, so I went ahead and ordered a copy yesterday, but I am curious about the ending. I usually shy away from sad endings. Can anyone tell me if this show has a happy, sad, or ambiguous ending? Thanks.

well, if you have already ordered your copy, go ahead and watch it. but well, it is an overall sad drama. it would really depend on how you define sad. but if you look beyond, and deeper maybe you'll realize that the ending really is good. i did. and if i didn't convince you, maybe he could..

andrea1.jpg

andrea19.jpg

andrea12.jpg

Guest KdramFan

mabuhay!! me too.. welcome!

well, if you have already ordered your copy, go ahead and watch it. but well, it is an overall sad drama. it would really depend on how you define sad. but if you look beyond, and deeper maybe you'll realize that the ending really is good. i did. and if i didn't convince you, maybe he could..

andrea1.jpg

andrea19.jpg

andrea12.jpg

Thanks for the reply. I don't mind sad stories, but I just refer the endings to be happy (like the two main characters live happily ever after.) But, I will still watch this show as it has so many rave reviews. Afterall, what's there not to like about Jo Hyun Jae....

Guest KdramFan

I don't think Love letter has a sad ending. It neither sad nor happy but I like it.

You are right. I finally broke down and found the Love Letter thread which has a link to Priscilla's translation. (Great Job, Priscilla, by the way. You made watching K drama so much more enjoyable for those of us who are non-Koreans.) I agree with you, Autumn, the ending is neither sad nor happy. Different viewer may interpret the ending differently, but I think I am going to like watching the show. I had only read the translation for the last episode, not wanting to spoil my expectation, hehe.

By the way, thanks for posting JHJ's November visit to Japan, it was a joy to watch him, and I was quite surprised to find out that he can really sings. It's also nice to know that he is gaining popularity overseas since I still think he is one of the most underrated actors in Korea.

Guest conduongmuathu

Yeah, his voice's really sweet. I think he has a lot of fans in Japan, Taiwan, Thailan, China,... because of the number of his fan sites and the members on that sites. In my country - Vietnam, he is gaining popularity since Sunlight Pours Down was shown here. Only you and Gumiho are still not shown, but you could buy in the shops. Love letter has just been showed on location TV. Hopefully, Seo Dong Yoh wil be shown soon ^^

And to our prince and everybody: Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

ecardgs14fr7.gif

Archived