[News] Drama, Movies, Actors & Actresses

Guest CindyW88

11-27-2009

Actress to Quit 'Family Outing'

Actress Park Si-yeon has quit SBS TV's Sunday evening variety show "Family Outing" due to health problems, the broadcaster said Friday.

"She will leave the show for a while due to health reasons. We are not going to pick a replacement," a staff member said.

The Sunday evening primetime show, led by comedian Yoo Jae-suk, features comedians and entertainers dealing with various aspects of rural life. The program is presented in a reality show format but with a comedic tone.

Park has reportedly been suffering from pain in her back.

Her quitting the popular show came a day after her agency denied that she and model-turned-actor Lee Philip have been dating.

Park, a runner-up at the 2000 Miss Korea pageant, has appeared in a number of TV dramas and movies, including "Marine Boy," and "Dachimawa Lee."

Park's departure comes only about six months after she joined the show as a replacement for actress Park Ye-jin.

Credits : chojh@koreatimes.co.kr

• Replies 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Allure magazine reveals Rain's ninja-perfect body

2009112709464015374_1.jpg

Asian superstar Rain in a fashion spread for Allure [Allure Korea]

Korean entertainer Rain talked about his body and new film "Ninja Assassin" in an exclusive interview and photoshoot with fashion magazine Allure Korea while in Hollywood, according to a press release on Friday.

The actor shows off his muscular body in the photos, which were shot in a studio in Hollywood when he was in tip-top shape right after the filming of "Ninja", which opened in theaters worldwide yesterday.

Rain, whose real name is Jung Ji-hoon, had undergone rigorous martial arts training and workout sessions for months to prepare for his role as a ninja who plots revenge on his former crime organization. He was said to have had zero percent body fat while in shoot.

The martial arts director for "Ninja" highly praised the star, saying, "In martial arts movies, the body of the main character is just as important as the action. Rain endured the tough training and went through amazing changes."

Rain's interview and photoshoot will be featured in the December issue of Allure Korea and also available on the website (www.allurekorea.com).

2009112709464015374_2.jpg

Rain poses for Allure [Allure Korea]

Reporter : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr

Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr

<ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved>

2009/11/27

Kim Hye-ja named best actress at Asia Pacific awards

SEOUL, Nov. 27 (Yonhap) -- Veteran South Korean actress Kim Hye-ja was named the best actress of the year by the third Asia Pacific Screen Awards (APSA) for her role in the mystery thriller "Mother," the event's Web site said Friday.

Kim, 68, a popular TV celebrity widely known for her on-screen persona of a benevolent mother, surprised fans with her intense performance in the Cannes-invited film, which has been sold to 12 countries including Japan and the United States. "Mother," the fourth feature by director Bong Joon-ho revolves around a murder case and obsessive maternal love.

20091127114003_bodyfile.jpg

Kim was also named best actress at Korea's Busan Film Critics' Awards and China's Golden Rooster and Hundred Flowers Film Festival.

"A Brand New Life," a Korea-France collaborated film produced by Cannes-winning Lee Chang-dong and directed by Ounie Lecomte, was named the best children's feature film by the APSA, while director Baek Seung-bin was honored with the NETPAC award for his feature "Members of the Funeral."

Actor and director Yang Ik-june received a high commendation for his performance in "Breathless."

Established in 2007, the APSA is an international cultural initiative of Australia's Queensland State Government, bringing together Atlanta-based CNN International, Paris-based UNESCO and FIAPF -- the International Federation of Film Producers Associations.

Aimed at exploring the cinematic excellence and cultural diversity of the vast Asia-Pacific region, the award ceremony is held in November each year. This year's jury was headed by Chinese director Huang Jianxin.

Credits : hayney@yna.co.kr

Source : Yonhap News, The Korea Herald

Press Conference for SBS TV series "Will It Snow On Christmas?"

2009112713380633319_1.jpg

The cast of "Will It Snow On Christmas?" at the press conference: (from left) actors Ko Soo, Han Ye-seul, Sun Woo Sun and Song Jong-ho [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

Writer Lee Kyung-hee of hit KBS TV series "I'm Sorry, I Love You", director Choi Moon-shik of SBS drama "What Happened in Bali" and actors Ko Soo and Han Ye-seul. One can anticipate what sort of drama new SBS TV series "Will It Snow On Christmas?", which held a press conference at Seoul's Imperial Palace Hotel on November 25, will be like by merely looking at its actors and creators. A man and a woman, who were each other's first love, meet years later and fall passionately in love as in "I'm Sorry, I Love You", and a rich heiress is added onto the relationship, like in "Something Happened in Bali". In addition, director Choi Moon-shik wants to "add the word human before melodrama and call this the human melodrama" and writer Lee Kyung-hee, known for her style of portraying the deeply running emotions between characters, joins the crew.

The highlights of the drama revealed at the press conference also emphasized the emotional flow of the melodrama it is. The complex relationship between characters Hahn Ji-wan (played by Han Ye-seul) and Cha Kang-jin (played by Ko Soo), for whom the ill-fated connection began in their parents' generation, and their romantic involvement with Park Tae-joon (played by Song Jong-ho) and Lee Woo-jeong (played by Sun Woo Sun) is similar to that of any typical trendy drama. But in the beginning of the series, writer Lee focused on convincing viewers of the emotional storyline between the characters by telling the story of the love during their childhood years (played by child actors Kim Soo-hyun and Nam Ji-hyun) with as much details as possible. Like the director said -- "I persuaded writer Lee Kyung-hee to do this because I wanted to make a drama about love and not about a particular profession or other things" -- "Will It Snow On Christmas?" seems to have its winning factor in its deep sentimentality rather than its characters or storyline. These days, elements like winter snow around Christmas time and first romantic love are so romantic that they seem almost unrealistic. Can "Will It Snow On Christmas?" give the viewers hope that the world can still see snow on Christmas and that romantic melodramas can continue to exist?

2009112713380633319_2.jpg

The man who waited ten years for his first love, Cha Kang-jin (played by Ko Soo)

When asked why he had on a stiff expression throughout the press conference, Ko Soo answered that he "couldn't help it because that is the nature of the character I play". Cha Kang-jin is someone who cannot help putting on such an expression because he grew up without a father, continuously fought against the world and only thought about winning, whatever the circumstance. His high-school love, Ji-wan, is the only woman who accepted him just the way he is. He could not get too close to Ji-wan at first because of the long-embedded conflict between his mother and Ji-wan's father, but several fateful incidents leads him to open his heart to her. Ten years later, he meets Ji-wan and falls in love with her again. "My character is someone who is extremely thorough and precise. I'm trying very hard to express that in my acting. I saw the highlights in the video but I'm worried because I feel that he still seems soft in parts."

2009112713380633319_3.jpg

"I'm trying to look more beautiful and more lovely", Han Ji-wan (played by Han Ye-seul)

The female characters in Lee Kyung-hee's dramas are often confident and brave and Han Ji-wan in "Will It Snow On Christmas?" is also a character who is cheerful and courageous. She bravely confesses her love for Cha during their childhood days and is strong enough to put on a smile on her face in front of others even when she is sad. Han Ye-seul was quoted as saying, "In the beginning, I tried to maintain the cheerful atmosphere of the drama and show my character as someone who is strong and optimistic." Having wanted to work with writer Lee and director Choi before she had even read the script, Han Ye-seul says she "fell in love with Han Ji-wan" after reading the synopsis."In such fast-paced and hectic times like today, I hope the drama will make viewers feel warm inside when they watch it," the actress at the press conference.

2009112713380633319_4.jpg

The heiress who knows nothing but love, Lee Woo-jeong (played by Sun Woo-sun)

The glamorous daughter of a conglomerate who has an extreme passion for love. It seems only natural that actress Sun Woo-sun, who has shown much range in her acting through hit MBC TV series "Queen of Housewives", was cast in "Will It Snow On Christmas?". Like the actress describes it, her character Lee Woo-jeong is "either extremely hot or cold, someone who is passionate about work and innocent when it comes to love." So the daughter of a conglomerate falls for the penniless Park Tae-joon and after he leaves her, she opens up her heart to Cha Kang-jin and falls in love again. Outward appearance is important for the role, Sun Woo explained, saying that she "lost about 3 kilograms to portray this luxurious and sensitive character." Will Sun Woo-sun, who rose to stardom with "Queen of Housewives", be able to make her mark as an actress with "Will It Snow On Christmas?"

2009112713380633319_5.jpg

"I begged my manager to take on this drama no matter what" Park Tae-joon (played by Song Jong-ho)

Actor Song Jong-ho explained that his role "has a lot of sadness." Park Tae-joon's family went bankrupt with the Asian economic crisis and when he fell in love with Lee Woo-jeong without knowing who she was, he had to face many difficulties due to her family's disapproval of their relationship. Song said that he had to think deeply about the script when he acted out his role because his character had "a lot of scenes where he laughs although he actually might be in a very frustrating situation." He said, "I cried when I first read the script. It was so entertaining and sad and it had a lot of great lines. I thought that whoever gets to to play Tae-joon would be very happy. Right now, I'm very happy to be shooting the drama."

What to Watch For

Major broadcaster SBS has recently been suffering from low ratings of its mini-series dramas due to blockbuster hits such as MBC's "Queen Seon-deok" and KBS's "IRIS". The dual combination of writer Lee Kyung-hee and director Choi Moon-shik, and actors Han Ye-seul and Ko Soo is perhaps the best card that SBS has to offer. With many blockbusters, family and trashy dramas airing these days, it is quite a risk to put out a traditional melodrama on television during prime time. "Christmas" premieres on December 2 at 9:55 p.m.

Senior Reporter : Kang Myoung-Seok two@10asia.co.kr

Photographer : Chae ki-won ten@10asia.co.kr

Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr, Lee Ji-Hye seven@10asia.co.kr

Kim Sung-su to meet with fans in Japan

2009033107550708532_1.jpg

Actor Kim Sung-su [N.O.A. Entertainment]

Actor Kim Sung-su will be flying to Japan today to meet with his fans in the country, according to his agency on Friday.

Kim will hold fan meetings in Tokyo and Fukuoka on November 28 and 29, respectively, to celebrate first anniversary of “Team Sung Su,” his official Japanese fan club, N.O.A. Entertainment said in a press release.

He will also hold an autograph session to promote DVD sales of “MY Precious Child,” a Korean TV series Kim starred in which was popular during its airing in Japan through KBS WORLD.

Since his debut as a stage actor, Kim has appeared in several movies and TV series including KBS drama “Full House” starring Asian pop sensation Rain and Hallyu star Song Hye-kyo which gained Kim fame throughout Asia.

Kim currently makes regular appearances on popular reality show "The Invincible Baseball Team" and cable TV fashion program "homme".

Reporter : Linda Kim lindakim@asiae.co.kr

SBS drama "Christmas" sold to Japan ahead of premiere

200911251451315523977A_3.jpg

Actors Ko Soo and actress Han Ye-seul of "Will It Snow For Christmas?" [Asia Economic Daily]

SBS new TV series "Will It Snow For Christmas?" has been sold to Japan ahead of its premiere in Korea, according to the broadcaster on Friday.

The new drama was sold to Tsutaya, a corporation with the most DVD stores in Japan, SBS Contents Hub said in a press release.

Tsutaya has released many Korean dramas through DVDs in Japan, including hit TV series "I'm Sorry, I Love You" starring So Ji-sub and Lim Soo-jung and "What Happened in Bali" starring Jo In-sung and Ha Ji-won.

The company had most recently purchased the rights to "Minamishineyo", which finished its run yesterday, also ahead of its premiere in Korea.

"Will It Snow For Christmas," starring actors Ko Soo and Han Ye-seul, will be broadcast starting December 2. The drama is set to air in Japan in April next year.

Reporter : Linda Kim lindakim@asiae.co.kr

Andre Kim show features stunning line-up of stars

200911280005.jpg

Designer Andre Kim (center) poses with actresses at Andre Kim Design Atelier in Gyeonggi

Province yesterday. From left are actresses Lee Su-kyeong, Han Chae-young and Song Yun

-ah, golfer Shin Ji-yai, designer Andre Kim and actresses Lee Bo-young, Koo Hye-sun and

Kim A-joong. [Park Hyun-koo/The Korea Herald]

Renowned Korean designer Andre Kim is known for his ability to put top-notch stars who rarely show up in public events on the catwalk for his shows.

But never before yesterday were so many celebrities spotted at his show.

Kim yesterday hosted the "Best Star Awards" as well as presenting his Christmas collection, "Christmas Fashion Fantasia" at the newly-established design atelier in Giheung, Gyeonggi Province.

The fashion show, which combined fashion and art, was the first-ever event held at the Giheung Atelier.

"The newly-opened atelier, unlike most indoor ones, enables people to enjoy not only fashion but also nature. I aimed at presenting a show that resembles a winter world in a fairytale with the Christmas tree, snow and ice," Kim said at the event.

The event featured an impressive line-up of some 25 A-class actors and sports stars who were awarded the Best Star Awards by Kim. The list included actors Jung Kyung-ho and Kim Bum; actresses Jeon Do-yeon and Kim Hee-sun; and sports stars Shin Ji-yai and Kim Yu-na.

The awardees, according to the Andre Kim Atelier, were chosen by three criteria - outstanding acting and self-discipline, achievements that have promoted Korea in the world and humanism, helping those in need.

One would naturally wonder how Kim manages to keep such a good network of celebrities which also include political and economic figures and foreign ambassadors. It is a widely-known fact that late pop legend Michael Jackson too was a fan of Kim's clothes.

Kim's secret, especially regarding stars, is reading all the 17 local newspapers every morning - he discovers up-and-coming talent and cast them as main models for his show early on in their career.

Kim continues to maintain good relations with them afterwards like a family member so that even when they become famous and busy, they are happy to take up Kim's requests to model for his shows.

Credits : Koh Young-aah (youngaah@heraldm.com)

Source : The Korea Herald

November 26, 2009

New drama finds a gripping formula for success

25210643.jpg

Iris, an espionage/action TV series, quickly became popular after its premiere for its fast-

paced scenes that incorporate high-tech devices and weaponry, an A-list cast and a well

made plot. Provided by Filmmarketing Vidan

“Iris” is the sleek new espionage/action drama that’s had viewers glued to their TV sets since it began airing on Oct. 14 at 9:55 p.m. Wednesdays and Thursdays on KBS-2.

Although the show’s blockbuster status can partially be attributed to its 20 billion won ($17.3 million) budget, that doesn’t tell the entire story. There have been plenty of TV dramas with equally big budgets that have failed.

The biggest attraction for the Iris audience seems to be the spectacle the drama presents. As one of the few Korean dramas with a plot focused on espionage, Iris is a rarity.

“We tried to lend as much realism as possible to the drama by using replicas of the weapons and equipment that are actually used in intelligence wars,” a member of the production crew said in an earlier interview.

The drama series also features explosive action scenes with high-tech special effects that other local television dramas have not yet dared to try. For example, one chase scene uses satellite tracking technology to follow the characters. The show’s pace is also part of the appeal. The transition time between sequences is sometimes no more than two seconds.

Overall, Iris seems to have earned its blockbuster status. The show set a record last week with an audience share of 34.1 percent for its 12th episode, which was aired on Thursday, according to a survey conducted by TNS Media.

The drama’s A-list cast, including actors Lee Byung-hun, Kim Tae-hee and Kim Seung-woo, has played a decisive role in grabbing viewer attention. Lee in particular has gained a following by doing the dangerous stuff himself, including scenes with explosives and car crashes, rather than using a stuntman.

The drama’s subject matter has also proven to be a gripping element in the show’s success. The plot centers on the nuclear situation on the Korean Peninsula and imagines the impending reunification of the two Koreas.

There is also an absorbing subplot involving the romantic entanglements of the main characters that succeeds in conveying the delicate emotions of those involved.

That could explain why Iris has drawn more female fans than males, even though it was created as an action series geared toward male viewers. A recent survey found that among the total number of female television viewers in the nation, 12.4 percent watch Iris, while 8.7 percent of the total number of male television viewers in the nation watch the show. Surprisingly, the largest group of people watching Iris is women in their 50s, at 17.3 percent.

Meanwhile, 59 percent of the show’s viewing audience was reported to be female and 41 percent was male.

Credits : Chung Kang-hyun [spark0320@joongang.co.kr]

Source : JoongAng Daily

November 26, 2009

‘Iris’ actor covers new ground in supporting role

25210717.jpg

In the blockbuster drama ‘Iris,’ Kim Seung-woo plays the

role of Park Cheol-young, a high-ranking North Korean

agent. Kim, who has had a 20-year career as an actor,

is hoping the role will allow him to stretch his boundaries

as an artist. Provided by KBS

It has been 20 years since actor Kim Seung-woo took up a career as an actor. He turned 40 this year, which means that he has lived half his life in the profession. In the meantime, Kim, who made his debut with the Korean action movie “The General’s Son” in 1990, has since grown into quite a heavyweight in the Korean acting world.

It is a commonly accepted theory that those nearing the peak of their careers are more likely to fallㅅthan to keep rising. Indeed, Kim’s box office record has remained lackluster in recent years. However, instead of marching along on the same path that brought him fame, Kim put his career on the line when he joined the cast of the hit KBS-2 drama “Iris.”

In the drama, Kim plays the role of Park Cheol-young, a high-ranking North Korean agent. It’s not the lead, but a supporting role, which is unusual for him.

“Everybody around me dissuaded me from doing it, but I felt like I should take the part. I was confident that there would be something I could show through this role even if there were not many scenes in which I was featured,” Kim said.

25210726.jpg

Kim may have faced the doubts of his colleagues, but there was one person who encouraged him to take the part - his wife, actress Kim Nam-joo, who told Kim that the role was attractive enough for him to take a chance.

Kim said that he also thought to himself that the role would help him break away from the good guy roles he has played for the last 20 years. The character of the cool-headed and charismatic bad guy Park Cheol-young proved to be just the right choice for him.

“Iris is surely a turning point in my 20-year acting career. I’ve never played such a strong character before, and for that reason, I have had to do my best to pull it off,” he said.

Kim’s leap into the unknown mirrors a similar move taken by his wife, who also went against type to play the starring role in the hit drama “Queen of Housewives.” In the drama, Kim plays the role of Cheon Ji-ae, the wife of a businessman who does whatever it takes to make her husband a success so that she, too, can reap the rewards. The role helped revive Kim Nam-joo’s career.

“It was rather risky for Nam-joo to play Cheon Ji-ae, which was a totally different character from the roles she had played in the past, but she did it,” Kim said. “That goes for me, too. Iris is a challenge for me but I’m doing my very best and it feels good to hear compliments that I’m succeeding.”

After playing Park in Iris, Kim won newfound adoration from fans who say they are impressed by Kim’s powerful performance in the drama and his “explosive charisma.”

The secret to Kim’s success, he says, has been hard work.

“I did a thorough examination of the way North Korean power elites behave,” Kim said, adding that he was even tutored by a North Korean official who had defected to the South.

Now that Kim has experienced a renaissance of sorts, it seems that he will continue to work toward his long-held dream of following in the footsteps of Ahn Sung-ki, who is regarded by many of his peers as an accomplished actor.

“As an actor, I’d like to walk a single path just as Ahn has been doing,” Kim said.

Considering his unrelenting drive to succeed, and his performance in Iris, Kim’s goals seem well within reach.

Credits : Chung Kang-hyun [spark0320@joongang.co.kr]

Nov. 26, 2009

CNN Sees Rain as Potential Global Superstar

2009112600618_0.jpg

Rain

Superstar Rain is in the U.S. media spotlight amid the international debut of his highly-anticipated Hollywood blockbuster "Ninja Assassin."

CNN in its report "From Korean Popstar to 'Ninja Assassin'" hailed the 27-year-old singer and actor as having all the qualities of an international superstar-in-the-making.

Listing his many accomplishments, including sold-out concerts in Asia and his being on People magazine's list of 100 most beautiful people in 2007, the article said that despite being relatively unknown to most Americans he has managed to make his big screen debut in the U.S.

In this latest movie which opened in U.S. theaters on Wednesday Rain plays the role of Raizo, an orphan-turned-assassin who takes revenge on the clan that raised him.

Credits : Arirang News

Source : Chosun Ilbo

November 26, 2009

Talk of the town

Audiences switch off after drama's femme fatale dies

25210536.jpg

The hit drama "Queen Seondeok" has seen its audience numbers dive after Mishil, the character played by Ko Hyeon-jeong, meets her end.

The eponymous ruler was the first queen to rule Korea, in the Silla Dynasty, and Mishil is a semi-fictional character, a rival to Seondeok. The highest recorded rating for the show according to AGB Nielsen Media Research was 44.9 percent on Oct. 9, with three previous shows recording over 40 percent.

However, a recent survey from Monday had the audience rating at 34.8 percent while on Nov. 17, 38.1 percent. The episode on Nov. 10 in which Mishil died enjoyed a 44.4 percent audience share.

Some speculate that the declining fortunes of the show, other than the absence of Mishil, is that dramas that overextend themselves run the risk of overstaying their welcome.

The producers of Seondeok had originally planned for 50 episodes but the popularity of the historical drama convinced them to aim for 62 instead.

The drama began airing on May 25 and is scheduled to end on Dec. 22.

Credits : Hannah Kim, Contributing writer

November 27, 2009

Thriller lays bare the secrets that we keep

26210151.jpg

Director Yoon Jae-gu and actors Park Won-sang, Cha Seung-won, Song Yoon-a,

Ryu Seung-ryong and Kim In-kwon, from left, speak about the upcoming movie

“Secret” at a press event held last week at CGV Wangsimni in eastern Seoul.

Provided by the organizer

“Secret,” a Korean thriller that will be released next week, is already drawing attention for the fact that it was written and directed by Yoon Jae-gu, who wrote the script for the 2007 movie “Seven Days.”

The film is the screenwriter’s directorial debut, and the second in what is to be a four-part series revolving around the theme of “saving.” Seven Days, the first film in the series, received good reviews from critics and audiences and drew over 2 million viewers nationwide.

“Seven Days, which tells the story of a mother who saves her child from kidnapping, was the first in a four-part series under the theme of ‘saving’ that I’ve had on my mind,” Yoon said at a press event in Seoul last week. “Secret, which tells the story of a husband trying to save his wife in extreme circumstances, is the second in the series, while the third and fourth films in the series will deal with saving friends and saving the earth.”

Yoon noted, however, that the audience will be more likely sympathize with the first two films, which both involve a protagonist saving a family member, because it is a misfortune that could happen to anybody.

26210202.jpg

Secret revolves around a murder case in which the brother of a notorious gang leader is found after having been brutally killed. In his investigation of the crime scene, Detective Seong-yeol (Cha Seung-won) finds evidence indicating that his wife, Ji-yeon, (Song Yoon-a) is involved in the murder.

With the gang and police chasing after the killer, Seong-yeol tries to protect his wife, taking actions that conflict with his duty as the detective in charge of the case. In the process of searching for the truth, however, Seong-yeol finds himself in unexpected situations and discovers long-held secrets.

“I always think that a well-made movie comes from a well-written script,” Cha, who plays Seong-yeol, said. “Secret has such an in-depth script that I’m confident it will be a first-rate movie.”

Song, who plays the detective’s wife, shares Cha’s opinion. “I think Secret is a very ‘cinematic’ movie with a superb screenplay. It was a difficult task to express myself within such a well-made frame, but it was a great experience,” said Song.

Yoon underlined that although there are similarities between Seven Days and Secret, the two thrillers are different in terms of the complexity of the plot.

“While Seven Days was a thriller with a rather simple plot involving two parties - a kidnapper and the mother of the kidnapped child - Secret has a more complicated plot involving a detective who finds evidence of his wife at a crime scene and there are five other people wrapped up in the case,” Yoon said. “Each character has their own hidden cards to play, and only when all of the cards are assembled is the truth unveiled and the story complete.”

Actor Ryu Seung-ryong, who plays the villain Jaekal in the movie, shared his impressions of the film. “What I found impressive about this movie is the way it shows how people who are close, like a couple, for example, get to know each other better. What rings in my heart is not a particular scene or line, but the way the plot highlights the tug of war people go through when they are getting to know each other and how they come to understand what they mean to each other.”

Secret hits local theaters on Dec. 3.

Credits : Park Sun-young [spark0320@joongang.co.kr]

November 27, 2009

Even Rain can't save this dull tale of ninja killers

27075135.jpg

Rain's role is to have rippling muscles and look angry in "Ninja Assassin." [MovieWeb]

Real ninjas were nothing more than thugs and spies who did the dirty work of Japan's feudal lords during the chaotic civil war of the 15th to 17th centuries. They could not disappear, they did not steal orphans and train them in secret, and they did not have Wolverine-like healing powers.

Real ninjas are boring. So instead, "Ninja Assassin" goes with the "real ultimate power" philosophy of ninjahood: that - ahem - ninjas are totally sweet, ninjas fight all the time, and the purpose of the ninja is to flip out and kill people.

Genre fans may associate the title with the English-dubbed "Shogun Assassin,"

the bizarre and violent classic of samurai exploitation from 1980 that was hacked together from two different Japanese films. Perhaps that's the feel writer Matthew Sand and director James McTeigue were going for, because the plot holes here are wide enough for 30 ninjas to hide in while having a really rad fight.

A gleefully violent opening sequence introduces us to Raizo, a ninja in the Ozunu clan played by the Korean pop star Rain in his first starring Hollywood role. The scene is like a checklist of genre staples - the ominous envelope of black sand, the arrogant young buck who gets what's coming to him despite the warning of the wise old yakuza, the gory decapitations. Striking from the shadows, Raizo seems a little like Batman, except he bisects people's shins.

26210103.jpg

Rain's role is to have rippling muscles and look angry in "Ninja Assassin." [MovieWeb]

Then, all of a sudden, the action stops, and the first third of the movie dives into an utterly uninteresting series of flashbacks to Raizo's ninja upbringing at a mountain temple by Lord Ozunu (Sho Kosugi), broken up by footage of Rain twirling around in a Berlin apartment, his ample musculature dripping with grease. This was when Ninja Assassin lost me. I can handle a threadbare plot in the service of awesome action. But why spend 25 minutes developing characters who really are nothing more than excuses to show more flying organs? The stilted romance between various younger Raizos (none of whom look anything like Rain, by the way) and a ninja girl only makes the plot deficiencies more obvious and unbearable.

Back in the present, Raizo is on the run from his clan and has to enlist sexy Europol agent Mika (Naomie Harris) and her boss (Ben Miles) to help him get revenge against Lord Ozunu. The cops have just begun to crack the case of the ninja clans when their superiors (presumably influenced by Ozunu) betray them and capture Raizo. Then Ozunu sends wave after wave of minions into the prison to kill the traitor. This raises two issues: An organization does not stay totally secret for 1,000 years by indiscriminately killing cops and causing car crashes. And if Ozunu is pulling the strings at Europol, why bother sending the ninjas at all? Couldn't he use his connections to make it look like an accident? Not even the fairly cool climactic fight in a burning ninja village could rid my mind of these questions (and the Jedi twaddle Ozunu murmurs every few minutes didn't help).

Of course, none of this matters. Because Rain is in it, Ninja Assassin will do good business here, and the filmmakers know it, inserting a little reference to the assassination of Queen

Myeongseong by Japanese agents and setting a battle in a Korean laundromat in Berlin.

There's also a clever and surely intentional nationalistic undercurrent. Though Rain's character is Japanese, he is a Korean celebrity, and watching him cut up yakuza and ninjas for 90 minutes has to increase the movie's appeal here while not hurting its chances elsewhere.

But I'm grasping at poison dart blowers for something interesting to say about this movie, which manages to use the same premise as "Kill Bill Vol. 1" and still be dull. It's a sad day when even a film called Ninja Assassin fails to get one totally pumped.

Ninja Assassin

Martial arts, action / English

99 min.

Now playing

Credits : Ben Applegate [bapplegate@gmail.com]

Nov.28, 2009

Kim So-yeon Spreads Her Acting Wings in TV Drama 'Iris'

2009112800251_1.jpg

Kim So-yeon

The actress Kim So-yeon is making a fresh start in her career by playing the role of a North Korean intelligence agent who loves her South Korean counterpart in the hit TV drama "Iris." Since her debut in 1994, Kim had consistently played prim, cold-hearted characters.

She was hired literally off the street when she visited a broadcaster just for fun during her second year in middle school. At first, she was happy just to be in the entertainment business, but once her career got underway, the life of an actress proved fraught.

"I look older than my age, you know, so I was always cast in adult roles. But in fact, I was always the youngest in the cast. I could never really be at ease. I was intimidated and scared," she recalls. She frequently wondered whether acting was really for her. When acquaintances told her they wanted to become a TV celebrity, she tried to discourage them. "I thought working in the entertainment business is extremely difficult for people like me who don't have a natural flair for self-promotion," she says.

But just as she was getting fed up, the TV Drama "Gourmet" came to the rescue. For the first time since she started her career, she found that acting could be fun. "I'm very grateful to 'Gourmet' for allowing me to think again what acting is." Then came "Iris." And for the first time in years, she couldn't sleep because she wanted the part so badly.

She promised herself not to waste the opportunity. She cut her hair short and exercised every day to look more convincing as a well-trained spy, abandoning all ambition to look pretty. She read the script over and over, highlighter in hand. "I wanted the audience to see what was between the lines," she says. Her efforts paid off: thanks to her mesmerizing on-screen presence, the role kept growing from episode to episode, and now she has become one of the most important characters in "Iris."

Kim says she is surprised every day by how complex and diverse the world of acting is and each scenes where actors put on different faces. "I think I've been able to do less than 1/10 of what's out there. Will I be able to do even half? I would be really happy if that happens."

Credits : englishnews@chosun.com

11-28-2009

Rain's English Is an Achilles' Heel

091128_pm_rain.jpg

Rain

"Forget about the fact that you're the 'Rain,'the popular singer. Just focus on the thinking that you're Ninja Raizu," Brothers Wachowski, the maker of the Rain-starred new movie, "Ninja Assasins," reportedly reminded him many times during the filming process of the movie. Will the new Korean starred Hollywood movie turn out to be a blockbuster? Maybe not, said Sports Seoul on Saturday.

Rain may be a global celebrity as a singer. But when it comes to a movie actor, he is a newbie and the movie will be a testing ground for his acting potential for global audience.

For the last eight months, Rain was trained to think like a Ninja, act like a Ninja and talk like a Ninja. His daily schedule included flying around the movie setting in Hollywood. His body became pronounced with muscles.

"But when the move is completed, it was a big disappointment, comparable to the big expectation that people had while the movie was being made," it said.

"Rain has come to have an immaculate six-pack body. But his acting still leaves much to be desired," it said.

But Rain's bigger Arichilles' Hill, it said, was his broken English. "The challenge of speaking English was a big challenge for Rain. He spoke with unnatural pronunciation and exaggerated accent. The unnaturalness left the viewers uncomfortable," it said.

Source : The Korea Times

11-27-2009

TV Appearance in 15 Months

091127_p16_jung.jpg

Comedian Jung Sun-hee

Comedian and radio presenter Jung Sun-hee, who was recently hit by a string of tragedies, is scheduled to make her first TV appearance in 15 months.

On SBS TV's "Good Morning" (Joeun Achim), she and comedian Lee Kyung-sil will travel to Jeju Island for two days and three nights and talk about the adversities she has experienced since her husband's death.

Last year, Jung left an MBC radio show when listeners complained about critical remarks she made regarding protestors of American beef imports. The 37-year-old then quit TV altogether when her husband of less than a year, actor Ahn Jae-hwan, died in September 2008, and her best friend, actress Choi Jin-sil, committed suicide two months later.

Jung reemerged on the public radar as a radio DJ for SBS' "Love FM" in April but has made no appearances on the small screen.

An SBS TV staff member said that it was not easy for Jung to commit to TV program, adding that her decision reflects that she is considering more broadcasting activities next year.

Credits : chojh@koreatimes.co.kr

11-29-2009

Drama Shooting Clogs Central Seoul

A series of car crashes, explosions and the ensuing exchange of gunfire between heavily armed North Korean spies and their South Korean counterparts shattered the normally tranquil morning of central Seoul, Sunday.

Braving chilly weather and unpredicted rainfall, the bloody fight continued into the evening and then the location was turned back to normal as if nothing had ever happened.

Don't fret.

The mayhem was simply the result of the shooting for an episode of the TV drama ``Iris'' - a blockbuster thriller featuring popular Korean actors and actresses, including Lee Byung-hun, Kim Tae-hee, Jung Jun-ho and Kim So-yeon, which is aired every Wednesday and Thursday on KBS2.

24458111.1.jpg

photo by lim@donga.com

The episode centered on South Korean agents trying to stop North Korean spies, who had infiltrated Seoul, from exploding a nuclear bomb in the metropolitan city with more than 10 million residents.

24458104.1.jpg

photo from donga.com

2009113017204889398_2.jpg

A scene for TV series "Iris" [Lee Ki-bum/Asia Economic Daily]

2009113017204889398_3.jpg

A scene for TV series "Iris" [Lee Ki-bum/Asia Economic Daily]

For the large-scale battle scene, Seoul city made the unprecedented decision to block all lanes of a thoroughfare, which stretches past government, business buildings and the U.S. embassy, and leads toward Cheong Wa Dae, in the morning and then gradually open it to the public in the afternoon.

The blockade caused severe traffic congestion in central Seoul.

In a statement, the city said it made the decision to promote the capital to overseas viewers through the drama, which is to air in Japan as early as next year.

Other Asian and European countries are in talks over television rights with its production company, Taewon Entertainment, the city added.

Unlike Western countries such as America that willingly allow the use of central parts of cities for filming, Korea has been reluctant to do so judging that private use of public facilities, even at the cost of public inconvenience, was unacceptable.

But permission was given in line with Seoul mayor Oh Se-hoon's aggressive efforts to promote the capital to foreign countries and eventually to make it one of the world's best tourist attractions.

``The main venue for the shooting, Gwanghwamun, is the very center of the city and represents 600 years of history,'' a city official said. ``We expect the shooting to increase Seoul's international exposure.'' The city is also considering developing new tourist routes along the program's shooting locations, the official said.

photos below from

Chosun Ilbo

2009113000235_0.jpg

Stars of the TV drama "Iris" are surrounded by crew during a

shoot in Gwanghwamun, Seoul on Sunday. From left, Lee

Byung-hun, Kim Tae-hee and Kim So-yeon

2009113000235_1.jpg

Lee Byung-hun /Newsis

2009113000235_2.jpg

Kim Tae-hee (left) and Kim So-yeon /Newsis

Credits : Park Si-soo, Staff Reporter (pss@koreatimes.co.kr),

11-29-2009

Kim Ok-vin Hopes to Conquer Screen

0911129_p14_kim.jpg

Kim Ok-vin,22, speaks to The Korea

Times about her life as an actress,in

time for the December release of her

film "The Actresses'' Kim,who gained

international exposure through Park

Chan-wook's "Thirst,'' said she hopes

to "conquer'' the world of acting through

colorful characters./Korea Times Photo

by Shim Hyun-chul

It's hard to believe that she only turns 23 in December. Kim Ok-vin, like many actresses her age, debuted as a horror movie teen queen but in just five years the ``Thirst'' heroine has made her mark as a serious screen persona.

``People often think I'm older than I really am, but the misunderstanding is actually kind of fun,'' Kim told The Korea Times last week during an interview in a restaurant in Cheongdam-dong, southern Seoul.

But aren't actresses supposed to be obsessed with trying to look younger?

``Actresses are like flowers. Male actors have a longer 'lifespan' onscreen while actresses are more rapidly consumed per se, with fresher, younger actresses being sought out. But I don't want to be pressured by that,'' she said.

Wearing a new red-dyed short cut and a big, bright smile, Kim in person is really rather perky, and baby-faced, especially when compared to the stupefied housewife she played in Park Chan-wook's vampire film ``Thirst'' ― a role that put on her the map. Last month, she won the Best Actress award at the Sitges International Fantastic Film Festival.

``I had so much fun at the festival ― I wish to live life as if it were a festival! But oh my gosh, I still can't believe I won. I mean who accepts their award at home?'' she said, having learned about the prize after she had left Spain. She is still waiting to receive the trophy in the mail.

In the meantime, she tries hard not to be consumed by the honor. ``But it is true that expectations have become higher and I feel like I need to try harder not to let people down. My mindset has changed; I am more confident about what I like and what I want to do.''

When asked about the possibility of debuting overseas, the actress said she was learning foreign languages, but mostly as a hobby because she feels that there is much left for her to accomplish here first.

She wants to explore various characters and roles, even if it entails assuming a persona that does not suit her.

Kim Ok-vin the Actress

Kim has always stood apart from other starlets, with a list of wide-ranging, uncanny roles under her belt. She did pass the conventional rite of passage ― winning a local online ``eoljjang,'' or best-looking contest, and playing pretty schoolgirls and romantic heroines onscreen. But Kim earned a reputation through quirky projects such as the teen sex comedy ``Dasepo Naughty Girls.''

She even had a small stint as a break dancer in the TV series ``Over the Rainbow'' and her dance sequence for a music program at the time still pops up on YouTube under the title ``Korean Beyonce.''

``You're kidding! Is that still around? It's haunting me forever. But it's something I could only do at a young age,'' she said, giggling.

Given her colorful filmography and lack of appearances on talk shows, she remains a somewhat elusive figure.

But in her upcoming film, ``The Actresses,'' opposite the country's most high profile heroines ― Choi Ji-woo, Koh Hyun-jung, Lee Mi-suk, Youn Yuh-jung and Kim Min-hee ― she plays herself.

``I play myself,'' Kim said. ``Many actors discuss only their characters and refrain from speaking about their personal lives. I've been rather conservative, too, in that respect but I must talk about myself.''

The movie, for which she collaborates for a second time with director E J-yong, blurs the line between fiction and reality. It provides a framework for drama to unfold as six actresses, each used to basking alone in the spotlight, must learn to get along during a fashion magazine photo shoot. Most of the dramatic tensions are scripted, but are propelled by each actress' personal image.

The movie highlights Kim's reputation as being rather offbeat. ``I'm the youngest so I try to kiss up to my elder co-stars, though rather clumsily, and end up getting misunderstood as being strange,'' she said.

But there's also a strong dose of reality. ``One time Lee Mi-suk tells me, ad-lib, `You're a country bumpkin, aren't you?' and it caught me by surprise because it's true,'' said the native of Gwangyang, South Jeolla Province, with a big hearty laugh. She said the movie also captured her spouts of boyish laughter and demeanor.

Another time, Kim, who feels she is ``chubby compared to many actresses,'' expresses admiration for cellophane-thin Kim Min-hee. When a staff member tried to boost her confidence by saying that she is the type preferred by men, Kim felt flattered, but only at first because in reality she is single (Kim Min-hee on the other hand is known for dating a model).

The project was moreover a chance for actresses to share their personal problems. ``It's not easy being an actress. It's accompanied by the most painstaking sense of solitude. The public has a certain fantasy about actresses and we must try to sustain that,'' she said.

Her ``accidental'' foray into the world of acting ― she trained in martial arts as a child and almost applied to the police academy ― was inspired by her fascination with the filmmaking process rather than by stardom.

But now an actress, she realizes that she has a certain responsibility as a ``star'' and public figure.

Kim Ok-vin the Person

Seoulites, however, hardly notice Kim on the street. It's not because she is unrecognizable without makeup; it's because her plain clothes and demeanor fail to attract attention.

Kim prefers to distinguish her identities as an actress and as a person.

She shops for groceries herself. She spends her free time doing household chores; she loves taking care of two younger sisters under her care and their pets (two cats and a dog).

But consuming things artsy ― cult movies and plays ― is her main interest.

She is inevitably an actress.

Kim hopes to continue shining on screen through diverse characters _ her latest interest being comedy ― and even one day overcome her stage fright to debut in theaters. ``The world of acting is limitless, there is so much territory left to conquer,'' she said, with a glimmer of unwavering determination in her steady gaze.

Credits : Lee Hyo-won (hyowlee@koreatimes.co.kr)

"Seon-deok" ratings drop but remains atop weekly chart

2009092210085945333_1.jpg

Poster for Korea's No.1 TV Series "Queen Seon-deok" [MBC]

MBC's TV series "Queen Seon-deok" continued to maintain its place on top of Korea's TV ratings chart last week, according to statistics released by TNS Media Korea on Monday.

"Seon-deok" topped the chart again during the week of November 23 to 29 with a 35.7 percent viewership rating although the figure plunged by 4.3 percent compared to the previous week.

The ratings for the historical pic had been gaining steadily since its premiere in late May to peak at 44.7 percent, but started seeing its ratings drop after the exit of actress Koh Hyeon-jeong two week ago.

Koh had played a royal concubine named Mi-shil who exerted extreme power over King Jinji during the Silla Kingdom. She had been appraised for her acting in the drama and was considered the main force behind its success.

Meanwhile, KBS2 TV's blockbuster drama "Iris", closed in on its gap with "Seon-deok", as more viewers watched the series than the previous week to stand at No.2 with a 32.3 percent rating. Daily drama "Jolly Widows" of KBS1 scored a 30.7 percent rating.

KBS variety show "Happy Sunday" remained atop the non-drama category with a 24.4 percent rating. SBS's "Family Outing" and MBC's "Infinite Challenge" were also on the list with ratings of 22.4 and 19.5 respectively.

Reporter: Linda Kim lindakim@asiae.co.kr

[RATINGS] Weekend Box Office: Nov 27-29

2009113009543370767_2.jpg

South Korea's box office estimates for the weekend of November 27 to 29.

[Korean Box Office Information System (KOBIS)]

Source : 10Asia

"2012" remains atop for the third week

200911221104041897131A_1.jpg

Current No.1 movie "2012" [sony Pictures]

Hollywood film "2012" remained the No. 1 movie in Korea for the third consecutive week.

"2012" continued its run atop the Korean box office, attracting 643,291 viewers over the weekend and a total of approximately 4.3 million viewers since its opening on November 12, according to estimates released by Korea Box Office Information System (KOBIS) on Monday.

Hollywood pic "Ninja Assassin," starring singer and actor Rain, followed in second place with 451,152 viewers over the same period.

Korean film "Descendent of Hong Kil-dong," starring Lee Shi-young and Lee Beom-su came in third with 215,472 viewers over the weekend while "White Night," with Ko Soo and Son Ye-jin trailed behind with 195,379 viewers.

"Christmas Carol," an animation film released on November 26, ranked at No. 5 with 120,730 viewers and a total of 135,298.

Also within the top 10 were Korean movies "Cheongdam Bosal," "Wish" and "Good Morning President."

Reporter: Linda Kim lindakim@asiae.co.kr

Archived