[News] Drama, Movies, Actors & Actresses

Guest CindyW88

T.O.P. to star in new TV drama by Song Jina

2009112511462885371_1.jpg

Korean singer and actor T.O.P. [Asia Economic Daily]

Big Bang member T.O.P. has been tapped to star in a new TV series by famed writer Song Jina.

A source associated with the new drama confirmed on Tuesday that T.O.P. is set to play the main character in the series tentatively titled "Zero Plus", which will be co-produced by Song and Big Bang's agency YG Entertainment.

"Zero" is about the dreams and love stories of students enrolled in the theater department in college. Song is reportedly contacting young college actresses for the female lead role.

The source went on to explain that the drama, expected to air in July 2010, is currently in discussions with major broadcasting stations MBC and KBS for airing. The official shooting will start after the broadcaster for the drama has been determined.

Song, one of the most successful television writers in Korea, has written numerous hit dramas including "Kaist", "Sandglass" and the recent "The Story of the First King's Four Gods", which starred Hallyu star Bae Yong-joon. "Sandglass", which starred top actress Koh Hyeon-jeong, recorded a 64 percent viewership rating at the time of its airing in 1995, making it one of the highest-rated dramas in Korean history.

T.O.P., whose real name is Choi Seung-hyun, is a rapper of the popular idol group Big Bang. He debuted as an actor in the 2007 drama "I Am Sam" and currently appears in blockbuster drama "Iris" alongside Lee Byung-hun and Kim Tae-hee.

Reporter : Lim Hye-seon lhsro@asiae.co.kr

Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr

<ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved>

• Replies 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Ninja Assassin" tops advance ticket sales

2009112516215801380_1.jpg

A scene from "Ninja Assassin" [Warner Brothers]

Hollywood movie "Ninja Assassin" starring Asian superstar Rain is racking up ticket sales prior to its release tomorrow.

The much-anticipated action flick is topping ticket reservation charts on various Internet websites in Korea, according to statistics posted on the KOFIC (Korean Film Council) electronic network.

As of Wednesday morning, the real-time ticket reservation rate for "Ninja Assassin" stood at 39.84 percent on Maxmovie, 32.96 percent on Interpark and 28.71 on Ticketlink, surpassing the figures for Hollywood blockbuster movie "2012" which has topped the Korean box office for two consecutive weeks.

"Ninja", produced by the famous Wachowski Brothers of the "Matrix" trilogy and directed by James McTeigue of "V For Vendetta", stars Korean singer and actor Rain alongside other Korean or Korean-American actors such as Randall Duk Kim, Sung Kang, Rick Yune and Lee Joon of idol group MBLAQ.

Rain played the lead role of Raizo in the film, hyped as one of the 50 most anticipated films of the year by U.K. newspaper The Times and one of the top 10 movies selected by the San Francisco Examiner.

"Ninja" is set for worldwide on November 26.

Reporter : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr

11-25-2009

Will 'Ninja' Open More Doors for Rain?

091125_p28_rain.jpg

The countdown started for the release of “Ninja Assassin” in which Korean singer

and actor Rain plays a killer. He hopes the film ― opening in the United States

on Wednesday ― will become a foothold for him to make inroads into the Ame-

rican movie market. Korea Times

Korean top singer and actor Rain is drawing keen attention from CNN, MTV and other international media as "Ninja Assassin" barrels into theaters on Wednesday in the United States and on Thursday in Korea. They are introducing Rain and the movie ― in which he plays Raizo, a revenge-seeking ninja ― on their Web sites in a largely positive tone.

Rain, a household name in Asia, has yet to break into the American mainstream and hopes the film will become a vehicle to penetrate the American market.

"It's hard to even walk in streets in Asia," Rain told MTV News. "I hope it'll be the same [in America]. Raizo is very sexy. I love my character."

Rain picked the climatic final sequence as one of his favorite scenes. "They were real flames!" said Rain. "There were no wires and no camera tricks."

If there is a sequel, could he go through the same six months of nonstop training it took to get into fighting shape? "I'll think about it," laughed the star. "You know what? It was so painful!"

"'Ninja Assassin' has a key advantage in appealing to males, who aren't so interested in the 'Twilight' series," Variety said. The R-rated action film was produced by Joel Silver, the Wachowski brothers and Legendary Pictures.

CNN also introduced Rain on its Web site, Tuesday, describing him as a singer-actor who has "all the trimmings of an international superstar in the making."

It said Rain's climb from an unknown backup dancer to a member of Asia's A-list wasn't easy: His lack of Western features caused many music labels to look right past him and getting his footing in the United States has been particularly difficult.

Yet Rain isn't the type of guy who shies away from a challenge, it said.

CNN quoted Rain as saying in a recent interview with Talk Asia that: "What I want to do now is start from the bottom again and build up my name in the U.S. I have experienced firsthand what it means to be poor, what it means to go hungry, and that I think may be the reason, the root cause of why I'm able to work so hard these days," he said.

On "Ninja Assassin," which will be released on Thursday across the country, Rain said, "I'm hoping people have high expectations for this movie, because I don't think they will be disappointed."

Credits : Cho Jae-hyon, Staff Reporter (chojh@koreatimes.co.kr)

Source : The Korea Times

11-25-2009

Bae's Food Chain in Japan

20091125133024906b6_133605_0.jpg

image courtesy STARNEWS

Hallyu superstar Bae Yong-joon, who has been actively promoting Korean food and culture recently, will open the third outlet of his Korean food chain in Japan, Friday.

The ``Winter Sonata'' hero will launch Goshire Gun in the basement of Seibu Department Store in Tokyo. The store will sell Korean dishes including salads, ``ssambab'' (lettuce wraps) and ``juk'' (porridge), among others.

In 2006 the actor, affectionately called ``Yonsama'' by Japanese fans, opened Goshire, a traditional Korean restaurant, in Shirogane, Tokyo. Last year he launched a traditional Korean bar, Goshire Hwa, in Nagoya.

14uyie.jpg

Gosire in Tokyo

Bae also has Korean lunchboxes, called Goshire Bento, being sold in major Japanese convenience stores. Featuring 16 dishes from Korea's ancient Goguryeo Kingdom (37 B.C.-A.D. 668) such as ``bulgogi'' and kimchi, the lunch sets sell at 2,500 yen (about $26), the highest that any lunchbox has been priced in Japan.

He also has a successful restaurant business in Korea. Gorilla in the Kitchen, located near Dosan Park, Sinsa-dong, is popular among young crowds for its herbal salads and sandwiches.

The 37-year-old rose to stardom in Japan and other Asian countries through the melodrama ``Winter Sonata.'' In September he and his co-star Choi Ji-woo took part in a large promotional event at Tokyo Dome to promote an animated version of the TV series.

Credits : Lee Hyo-won, Staff Reporter (hyowlee@koreatimes.co.kr)

2009/11/26

Korea's "Actresses" to be screened at Berlin film fest

SEOUL, Nov. 26 (Yonhap) -- South Korean movie "The Actresses," a film presenting the off-screen personas of the country's highest-profile actresses, has been invited to the upcoming Berlin International Film Festival, the movie's local promoter said Thursday.

The movie, bringing together six screen beauties including Korean Wave queen Choi Ji-woo and the Sitges fest-winning Kim Ok-vin, will be screened during the German festival's official Panorama section, Seoul's End Credit said.

20091126105958_bodyfile.jpg

"Festival organizers said they expect the film to present a rare chance for the audience to view Korean cinema today through the voices of leading actresses," the promoter said in a press release.

Directed by Lee Jae-yong, the creator of "An Affair," the movie features six actresses who come together for a special fashion magazine shoot and face conflicts as they envy each other's beauty and fame. Each woman plays herself in the film which is waiting for a local release on Dec. 10.

The 60th Berlin film festival, one of the largest in Europe, will run Feb.11-21 with acclaimed German director Werner Herzog tapped as the president of the jury.

Credits : hayney@yna.co.kr

Source : Yonhap News, The Korea Herald

Bae Yong-joon lends voice in UN campaign

2009112609363766471_1.jpg

Korean actor Bae Yong-joon in a UN Climate Change campaign [seal The Deal 2009]

Hallyu star Bae Yong-joon has lent his voice in a United Nations campaign for climate change, according to his agency on Wednesday.

The actor, known for his interest in environmental issues, was asked by the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) committee to record the narration for the "Seal the Deal" promotion video, BOF Korea announced in a press release.

"Seal the Deal" aims to raise public awareness of global climate change and green growth prior to the upcoming Climate Change Conference, which will be held in Copenhagen on December 7 thru 18.

In the promotional video, the actor strongly voices the importance of climate change agreement among countries. The official website will feature personal messages from notable figures such as supermodel Gisele Bundchen, actor Don Cheadle and UN's Secretary General Ban Ki-moon.

"We expect that having Asian star Bae Yong-joon participate in the campaign will deliver the message to more people," an official at UNEP was quoted as saying.

The Hallyu star has made many donations in the recent past to earthquake, flood and tsunami victims in various regions of Asia. He also shot an environment-themed photo spread last May and delivered the funds raised from the shoot to the UNEP committee in Korea to be used for Asia's water pollution and purification projects.

The "Seal the Deal" campaign video featuring Bae will be released today on Naver's Happy Bean. The public can participate in the global campaign through its website (www.sealthedeal2009.org).

Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr

"Hunters" hosts pose at press conference

2009112612023445844_1.jpg

From left, Park Joon-kyu, Kim Hyun-joong, Jung Yong-hwa and Lee Hwi-jae. [Lee Ki-bum/Asia Economic Daily]

From left, Park Joon-kyu, Kim Hyun-joong, Jung Yong-hwa and Lee Hwi-jae pose during a photo session of a press conference for a revamped version of MBC variety show "Sunday Night" held at the broadcaster's Dream Center in Ilsan, Gyeonggi Province on November 25, 2009. They will be among the hosts for "Hunters", a section of the show where he and other TV personalities will hunt wild boars to help save the ecology.

2009112612043150188_3.jpg

Hosts of "Hunters" [Lee Ki-bum/Asia Economic Daily]

Photographer : Lee Ki-bum metro83@asiae.co.kr

November 26, 2009

Multicultural Film Fest Starts at CGV Cinemas

2009112600645_0.jpg

Korean society is becoming more multicultural and seeing the formation of different ethnic enclaves as the number of foreigners living here now exceeds 1 million.

To promote better understanding of different cultures, the first Multicultural Film Festival is held from Thursday until Dec. 18 at CGV multiplexes successively in Daehangno in Seoul, Ansan in Gyeonggi Province, Guro in Seoul, and in Incheon.

The festival mainly features films from countries that make up large proportion of migrant workers, migrant women who married Korean men, and international students in Korea. It will screen 14 films from countries like Vietnam, Turkey, Russia, India, Thailand, and Mongolia, including "Rain Dogs" from Malaysia. The ticket will be W6,000 each, and foreigners can get an additional discount of W2,000 at the door.

The goodwill ambassador of the festival is Mahbub Alam, an actor from Bangladesh who appeared in the film "Bandhobi." A complete list of films and a screening schedule can be obtained at www.cgv.co.kr.

Credits : englishnews@chosun.com

--------------------

2009-11-26

CGV Multicultural Film Festival Opens

A film festival opened Thursday aimed at promoting the rise of multiculturalism in the nation.

CGV, the largest theater chain in Korea, says the "Beautiful Coexistence-Multicultural Festival 2009" will feature 14 films at four of its theaters.

The films come from 16 countries, including Vietnam, Singapore and Malaysia. A film from Bhutan entitled "Travellers and Magicians" is the story of a rural woman who dreams of emigrating to the U.S.

CGV says it organized the festival to raise awareness about the rise of multicultural families in Korea.

The next such festival will open in May.

Credits : KBS WORLD Radio, KBS News: englishweb@kbs.co.kr

Source : KBS Global

2009-11-26

Han Ye-seul: "I Love My New Role"

Actress Han Ye-seul, 28, plays a cheerful and sweet woman in the new SBS TV series "Will It Snow On Christmas?" which is to premiere on December 2.

In her interview on November 25 at the Imperial Palace Hotel in southern Seoul, Han said she was worried about whether she would be able to portray such a vibrant and lovely character. But she added that she wanted to try her new role. "I thought a lot about how I would portray her, but one day I began to feel happy because of her. I fell in love with her upbeat personality."

Han's character, Ji-wan, falls in love with two men in succession. One of them is Kang-jin (played by Ko Soo), a guy from her neighborhood who she has known from high school, and the other one is Tae-jun (played by Song Jong-ho), who she meets after she leaves her neighborhood following the death of her elder brother in an accident.

7212_605_l.jpg

"Ji-wan falls in love with Kang-jin at first sight when she is still very young. But they have to part their ways. The void of her first love is filled by Tae-jun. But one day her first love shows up, throwing her into confusion."

So far, Han has played upbeat and comical characters. Her new character is also cheerful but she stands apart from her previous characters in that she goes through the experience of passionate love. To portray her, it takes more mature acting skills. "It was a big pressure for me but I also look forward to it. It's very fufilling to see my acting meet the director's expectations. As much as it's difficult, it also encourages me to achieve higher goals. Even if I fail to attain my goals, I learn a lot in the process. It makes me happy."

Ji-wan loves Tae-jun, but he fails to show up at their engagement ceremony because he has an emergency. He gives her a call and apologizes but instead of losing her heart, Ji-wan apologizes to her guests and says that she will hold a better engagement ceremony next time. At that moment, Tae-jun spends time with his ex-girlfriend Woo-jung (played by Seon Woo-seon). "It's a very heartbreaking moment but Ji-wan tries to be positive about everything. She is upset, but she wants to trust Tae-jun and overcome her sadness. Because of her devotion to him, she ends up being hurt. The more I play this character, the more enamored I become with her," said Han.

7212_606_l.jpg

The drama contains many crying scenes. "Acting in crying scenes is difficult but it's easy when the situation is really sad. The situation that Ji-wan is in is sad enough to make me cry. Viewers could find my portrayal of Ji-wan poor but I'm not going to fall into despair. I want to overcome that obstacle and rise back on my feet, just like Ji-wan," said Han.

Source : KBS Global

Rain's "Ninja Assassin" outsells Cusack's "2012"

2009112614033006585_1.jpg

Movie poster for "Ninja Assassin" [Warner Brothers]

Korean entertainer Rain's Hollywood blockbuster film "Ninja Assassin" has topped advance ticket sales in Korea on its opening Thursday.

As of today morning, the real-time ticket reservation rate for "Ninja" clocked in at 31.5 percent compared to 29.16 percent for the John Cusack vehicle "2012", according to statistics posted on the KOFIC (Korean Film Council) electronic network.

The figure is considered impressive for a film with an R-rating and will also only be shown on 210 screens in the country.

In the U.S., the martial arts action flick opened on November 25 over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend and distributor Warner Brothers increased the number of screens from 2,800 to 3,000. The U.S. box office results will be available the following Monday.

"Ninja" has drawn worldwide publicity since its early stages with the casting of Asian superstar Rain, who caught the eyes of the famous Wachowski Brothers while working on the movie "Speed Racer" last year. The singer underwent rigorous martial arts training for months to prepare for his role as an assassin who plots revenge on his former crime organization.

Rain is currently in Hong Kong, wrapping up the final leg of his promotion tour for the film.

Kim Jun to promote Korea-Philippines TV showcase

2009112615440064752_1.jpg

Singer and actor Kim Jun

T-Max member Kim Jun, who also starred as one of the F4 members in hit TV series "Boys Over Flowers", will promote South Korea and the Philippines joint television showcase taking place later this month.

The singer and actor was selected as a promotional ambassador for the "Korea-Philippine TV Content Showcase & Media Forum", taking place as part of events marking the 60th year of friendly relations between the two countries, the Korea Internet & Security agency (KISA) said in a press release on Thursday.

"Kim is well-qualified to take on the position since he has the charm to appeal to various fans throughout Asia," Song Byun-joon, producer of "Boys" explained of his reason for having recommended Kim.

The event, aimed at facilitating exchange of broadcasting material and expanding cooperation between the two countries, will take place for two days starting November 30 at Manilla's Hyatt Hotel.

Kim has also been invited to attend the Viewer Choice Award hosted by Philippine broadcaster ABS-CBN as an awardee. He gained popularity with his role in "Boys" earlier this year after debuting as a member of the singing trio in 2007. Since then he has starred in a musical and currently appears on reality show "The Invincible Baseball Team."

Reporter : Ko Jae-wan <star@asiae.co.kr>

Editor : Jessica Kim <jesskim@asiae.co.kr>

Nov. 26, 2009

(Movie Review)

Aspirant poet chases booze and women in debut of young director

SEOUL, Nov. 26 (Yonhap) -- In 1996, director Hong Sang-soo set up his own territory in South Korean cinema with his first feature "The Day a Pig Fell into the Well."

The comical movie, featuring a ne'er-do-well novelist chasing woman after woman, earned Hong the nickname "Korea's own Woody Allen," and soon, he had dozens of emerging directors copying his style, eager to lap up the cream of his talent.

20091126103855_bodyfile.jpg

At first glance, "I'm in Trouble," a feature debut by 32-year-old So Sang-min, appears to be paying yet another homage to Hong.

Seon-woo (Min Seong-wook), a hardly recognized poet who won one writing contest with a poem he wrote in college, has no idea what he should do with his life and spends day after day moping and drinking.

After yet another heavy drinking spree with a long-time friend Seung-gyu (Lee Seung-jun), Seon-woo fails to keep an appointment with his girlfriend's father. Angry and disappointed, the girlfriend Yu-na (Jeong Ji-yeon), the only silver lining in Seon-woo's miserable life, informs him she is leaving.

Desperate to win her back, Seon-woo visits her regional hometown, joined by his friend. The plan keeps backfiring, however, as the two men are unable to keep away from alcohol and women.

One of the four products of the 2009 Korea Academy of Film Arts (KAFA) annual film project, "�쪻rouble" was named best film at South Korea's Pusan International Film Festival this year together with Iraqi-Japanese co-production "Kick Off."

20091126103929_bodyfile.jpg

Sponsored by the Korea Film Council and conglomerate CJ Group's Culture Foundation, the KAFA film project is aimed at supporting first or second feature works by emerging directors. The project gathered attention last year with its first four creations including "Members of the Funeral" winning at international film festivals.

Portraying the trials and tribulations of a young Korean male, not yet ready to live up to social expectations or take responsibilities, the movie received favorable reaction from European critics in particular and has been invited to the upcoming Berlin International Film Festival.

French director Jean-Jacques Beneix, who headed the Pusan fest jury, said: "We noted the absence of optimism and a certain fear of the future (in the movie). Asian cinema looks like its European counterpart and depicts a dark picture of the world situation."

While the apparent resemblance to Hong Sang-soo films clearly tones down the film's own character, director So, a graduate of New York Brooklyn College and the Seoul-based KAFA, manages to unfold the plot in a smooth manner. Humorous dialogue and incidents pepper the film in just the right amount, showing So is a filmmaker who has the ability to suppress the desire to say or show too much.

So's protagonist, Seon-woo, is also somewhat more pleasant and even charming at times compared to the male characters in Hong's film as he portrays confusion, submission and immaturity rather than hypocrisy or arrogance.

20091126103942_bodyfile.jpg

"We are all weak humans who frequently yield to temptations and are influenced by trivial matters in life," the director said. "I wanted to bring out this aspect through the love story of an immature, shameless man."

"I would still have to call the movie a romance," festival programmer Lee Sang-yong said. "We loved, most of all, the humor and reality."

"�쪻 rouble," with a running time of 98 minutes, will be screened at the CJ CGV Movie Collage in Seoul and Busan beginning Dec. 10.

Credits : hayney@yna.co.kr

Source : Yonhap News

11-26-2009

Actress Kim Min-sun Changes Name to Gyu-ri

0911126_p15_kim.jpg

Actress Kim Min-sun

Actress Kim Min-sun, 30, who was sued over comments she made regarding U.S. beef imports, has changed her first name to Gyu-ri and will act under the new name, her agency said Thursday.

``She recently changed her name to Kim Gyu-ri and received a new residential identification card under the new name,'' her agency TN Entertainment said. She has completed all legal procedures to make the change, it said.

``The new name is actually the one she has been called at home since her childhood,'' an agency official said. ``She will act under the new name going forward. It represents a new start for her.''

In May last year, she was at the center of dispute involving comments she made on her Web site, where she wrote that she'd ``rather drink potassium cyanide than eat U.S. beef and bones tainted with bovine spongiform encephalopathy virus.''

In August, A-Meat, a U.S. beef importer, filed a 300-million-won ($250,000) compensation suit with a Seoul court against the actress for allegedly misleading the public into a boycott of their products and damaging sales.

Credits : chojh@koreatimes.co.kr

[iNTERVIEW]

Rain - Part 1

2009112610070057537_1.jpg

Singer and actor Rain [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

From turning into a top Korean singer who puts on one of the best performances in the country to becoming a star across all of Asia, then from taking on a supporting role in a film by a popular Hollywood director to landing the leading role. The rising curve representing his career resembles more of a conqueror's than that of an entertainer's. But that man, Rain, spoke most frankly about the difficulties in pursuing a career in the United States and the agony and anguish he felt while undergoing training for his new film. It is not weird to expect the superstar to live in a world of his own but our interview revealed he is a 27-year-old standing on the same ground as us and putting in his best effort to overcome one challenge after the other.

10: I was actually looking forward to seeing you with long black hair, like in the movie. (laugh)

Rain: Really? I wanted to lose it. It's really hard to maintain that hair.

10: It may also be because of your hairstyle but your Asian appearance was greatly emphasized in the movie.

Rain: I hadn't intended on it. I also had almost no make-up on my face. Thankfully, I have nice skin (laugh) so I came out okay. And my hair had been closer to a brown, like the color it is right now, but the director wanted it black. This style looks better on me though, right? I prefer short hair.

10: Without question, your body was as impressive as your looks. It must've not been easy to control what you eat to all the training you had to undergo.

Rain: Everyday, I ate only chicken breast, vegetables and black pepper. Once in a while I'd get to eat beef cooked in plain boiling water which wouldn't take out the smell of the blood in it, but eating it made me feel like I won the lottery. I underwent a lot of training too. I'd start with weight routines such as bench presses or dead lifts and take a one-minute break after. After that I'd complete a total of 10 sets with eight rounds of bench presses, push-ups, sit-ups, pull-ups and dead lifts without any breaks at all. This way, you lose fat without doing aerobic exercises and your muscles even out rather than just blow up in volume.

10: In other words, you got to learn the advanced method. You'd probably be able to use it in the future.

Rain: I learned a lot and I've been teaching my kids, MBLAQ, the same workout routine. Member Lee Jun of the group, who played the younger version of me in "Ninja Assassin", underwent the same workout process as me so he's been teaching the rest of the group. When they're in training, they'll do the exact same routine I just mentioned and if one of them can't complete a certain exercise, they'll keep going until they do while the rest of the group will have to keep doing their own exercises too. Only then they're allowed to go onto the next part of the routine and they just keep repeating the sets. It's definitely hardcore. I'm planning on using the same training routine for everyone at my agency.

10: So like your workout routine which will continue on in a systematic way, your Hollywood experience with "Ninja" will help in your future connections and businesses.

Rain: I always try to maintain any connections I have. And it's definitely extremely important in Hollywood. It's been four years since I announced I would expand my career into the United States after making it on Time magazine's 100 Most Influential Person list. And the way I spent those four years? Me and my agency called up every studio in the U.S., explained how much recognition I have in Asia, tell them I want to make an album with them and then meet them to hang out with them. And then when I called them afterwards, they would say they'd sign for an album in Asia, and maybe work on expanding my career to the States after that. It means that all they're interested in is making money. In the meantime, I got rejected at audition after audition, when I finally got the part for "Ninja". From then of, I've continuously been receiving proposals for films and albums. Joel Silver went around saying my name, and although he's not sure what I'm about, the Wachowski Brothers like me. "Speed Racer" didn't do well but Hollywood producers got to know who I am.

10: Now that they know of you, you must have plans for other movies after "Ninja".

Rain: There's a film which will cost over 170 million dollars to make but we're sort of at a red light with it right now. Things are just like that in Hollywood. Nothing will happen unless you've signed on. Even if the other side says they want to make it happen with me, things could turn over anytime. That's why I can't mention the name of the film. But it's an action fantasy, sort of like "Lord of the Rings", where several soldiers protect the King who is on his way to his destination. If all goes well, I'll be playing one of the seven main characters. I'll be able to reveal the details when I sign on.

Reporter : Wee Geun-woo eight@10asia.co.kr

Photographer : Chae ki-won ten@10asia.co.kr

Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr, Lee Ji-Hye seven@10asia.co.kr

[iNTERVIEW]

Rain - Part 2

2009112618271836882_2.jpg

Singer and actor Rain [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

10: Getting the part for "Ninja Assassin" and appearing in "Speed Racer" have sort of become the surprising twist to your career in the United States. What did the Wachowski Brothers see in you to have asked you to audition for them?

Rain: I endured through everything. When I was shooting "Speed Racer", I held back from expressing my pain when I got sick, I went to set although I was having a hard time and I stepped up to go first with whichever task. My spine hurt as if it would snap while shooting the car racing scene. And the temperature inside cars in Europe during July goes up to 40 and 50 degrees. Wear a leather jacket on top of that, everything becomes painstakingly unbearable. So other actors would go into shoot for about 20 minutes and take one-hour breaks in between but I kept going until I finished the whole scene. And they really seemed to like that energy about me. I think I also adjusted pretty quickly to everything. I learned the action moves quickly too. And Asian action movie stars are usually smaller but I was tall so they were telling me that I had the body of a Westerner but the face of an Asian. The stunt team mentioned it first, the Wachowski Brothers heard them talk about me and they told Joel Silver. I won over their recognition in that order.

10: Your presence there has changed greatly over the past four years. Have you met with any other famous producers or actors other than the Wachoski Brothers during that time?

Rain: I think people may say something when I say this... (laugh) I'm with the William Morris Agency right now but before, I had gone to a firm called CA because they said they would be my agent. I was talking with the people there when they told me Tom Cruise was in the room next door and that he wanted to talk to me. I was thinking 'Why me? Does he know me?' when the president of CA stepped in with Tom Cruise. We said hi and talked for a bit. It was a really shocking experience... actually getting to actually meet someone I had always seen on screen since I was young.

10: So what is the significance of expanding your ground in Hollywood? You had said before that glory is important so I'm guessing Hollywood must have a special meaning to you in that sense.

Rain: It's about conquering. Every country denies it but everyone really does like American culture. It's due to the competitiveness of the country itself but I think winning the battle between cultures and minds is worth much more than winning a physical battle involving guns and knives. It's game over when you win over minds. So if I go to the heart of the U.S. and make my name known to the world through Hollywood, it'll mean that I have conquered the world. That's why "Ninja" is important. It's not just about the producers in Hollywood recognizing me but about the worldwide public recognizing me one day if I happen to pass on the streets. There are 1.3 billion people in China, 900 million in India and even over 120 million in Japan. If one Korean out of the 40 million on our country can make their name known to the world, it would be something much more meaningful than gaining glory. That's why I truly respect Kim Yuna and Park Chan-ho.

10: You're carrying out your activities on a global level now yet your self-consciousness of being a Korean has seemed to have grown stronger.

Rain: It's become much stronger. I really didn't like it when it seemed like someone was ignoring me because it would feel like they were making fun of not just me, but also my family and my country. They would say "Rain? What's that?", they wouldn't know where Korea is and would ask questions such as whether we have nuclear weapons and whether we're in war. Everytime, I would answer by saying that I'm from the country below it, South Korea, who made it to the semi-finals at the 2002 World Cup and is the home country of figure skater Kim Yuna. I guess it's sort of a national spirit I have in me -- I can't help being drawn to my own blood. And I'm so happy whenever I see Koreans overseas.

2009112610500045392_1.jpg

Singer and actor Rain [Chae ki-won/10Asia]

10: You must've been lonely. Did advice or support from people around you help?

Rain: Screenwriter Lee Kyung-hee of drama "Sang Doo! Let's Go To School" is always supportive. It's just that I don't tell her the details of the difficulties I'm going through or my concerns. I don't want to show her the weak side of me. And in director Park Chan-wook's case, I hadn't known it before but he really likes action pics like the "Matrix". So when I told him I would be working with the Wachowski Brothers, he told me he would be looking forward to the film. All their words of support helped.

10: On the other hand, you had also mentioned that seeing false reports of you in Korea was also a boost at times. What sort of articles stimulated you? (laugh)

Rain: Honestly, I wish people would only mention the facts. I can't help receiving harsh criticism when the movie itself is bad but I really don't like seeing distorted articles. There is one person in particular who I really don't get. He keeps telling distorted stories rather than the truth. For example, it's like this. He would write, "He says he's going to Hollywood but when on earth will he appear in a movie?" And when I appeared in a movie, he would then write that I am back after failing in Hollywood. I just beared with it although I thought of taking legal action at one point. And he came to me at the time and apologized but I saw later on that he was at the same thing again. So I'm just trying to concentrate on working really hard. That's why in a way, such articles actually give me a boost. (laugh)

10: Let's talk about a lighter subject. How do you feel when you see articles about actor Jang Dong-gun and actress Ko So-young dating? What are your thoughts on dating a celebrity?

Rain: There's no reason not to, as long as we share the same feelings for each other. It's not important whether she is a celebrity or not. I don't care about the nationality either.

10: What is your ultimate goal? Is there a certain point you are aiming for or will you simply keep putting yourself up for new challenges?

Rain: I want to see how far I can go. I want to test out how high my luck runs. And I keep pushing forward without a plan which is why I go through trial and error. But strangely enough, I've achieved everything so far. Who would've known I would meet [Park] Jin-young. I didn't know how I got to start acting in dramas and I don't know how I ended up working with director Park Chan-wook. Nor do I know how my name got on Time magazine's 100 Most Influential Person list. I've just ended up here somehow. And if "Ninja" does well, it'll make everything just perfect.

Reporter : Wee Geun-woo eight@10asia.co.kr

Photographer : Chae ki-won ten@10asia.co.kr

Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr, Lee Ji-Hye seven@10asia.co.kr

[10 LINE]

Jang Dong-gun

Jang Dong-gun

He is handsome. He is patriotic. And he has enormous support from the Korean people. He is willing to risk everything he has for just one person. He is capable of handling diplomatic relations with the U.S. and Japan. Well, of course, no such person exists in reality. But what if it were Jang Dong-gun? He is a top star for whom it has become only natural to play the role of a president. And that is the exact choice he made.

2009112618090797922_1.jpg

Top Korean actor Jang Dong-gun (center) and (clockwise from top) actors Son Ji-chang,

Lee Sun-gyun, Park Joong-hoon, directors Kwak Kyung-taek and Jang Jin [10Asia]

Park Soon-ae

Television actress. She was the star of a detergent commercial in which Jang Dong-gun made his first appearance. Jang, who was studying for his third attempt at the national college entrance exam, decided to appear in the commercial to earn money for his studies. Only his topless torso appeared in the commercial where he was paid KRW 250,000 won for three days' work and in the next commercial, he shot a cassette tape commercial in which his bare back was displayed against the background of a beach. By the time he was shooting his third commercial, he decided to apply to become a television actor because it would pay him 2 million won. Jang said of the time, "I had nothing to offer. I was supposed to lay out a future vision or something, but I had nothing to offer."

Choi Yoon-seok

Director of TV drama. He was the director for Jang's television debut, MBC TV series "Our Paradise". Jang's role in "Paradise" was originally intended for teen heartthrob Kim Min-jong but Jang ended up getting the part when things didn't work out with Kim. It was an unbelievable opportunity for newcomer Jang, who, at the time, had only appeared as an extra on a few commercial and didn't even have his own manger. But it was understandable, Jang being the man he is. On the first day of shooting, Jang was told he could be replaced because he was not good enough but he was able to continue working on the drama by working hard such as starving himself for two days to shoot a scene where his character is so hungry that he steals dumplings.

Son Ji-chang

Television actor who co-starred with Jang in MBC TV series "The Last Game". The drama, which represented the basketball craze at the time of its airing, was immensely popular. Some 16,000 teenagers showed up to watch the shooting of the basketball game scenes at the Jamsil Stadium and five got injured in the crowd. Jang gained an enormous amount of popularity through this drama, but at the time the public only appreciated him for his good looks, not for his acting skills. During his appearance on MBC drama "Iljimae", he even heard that "the lead actor is hidden by the fantastic supporting actors". Jang felt that getting judged on his looks was like "a homework that he had to solve" and "resented people who kept asking about his looks".

Lee Sun-gyun

Actor and Jang's classmate at the Korean National University of Arts. In the beginning of his life at college, Jang used to slip out of classes because other students would stare at him but gradually adjusted by befriending fellow actors like Lee and Oh Man-seok. Jang received good marks in classes where he used his body to act and enrolling in college was the first step that he took to shake off his limiting, pretty boy image. Seeing a handsome actor taking a break from work to study acting, the public began to view him in a different light.

Park Joong-hoon

Jang's co-star in "Nowhere to Hide". Park is famous for having told Jang, who was worried about his looks, "You were born handsome, what can you do?" Jang repaid this wise advice ten years later by appearing on the KBS talk show "The Park Joong-hoon Show". Jang worked on film "Nowhere" as a student going to school, and learned to properly act in film by being "faithful and doing everything the director told [him] to do". Jang regards "Nowhere" as his movie debut and the film, in which Jang had only a small role, gave him the new image as a serious actor who was working hard to improve his acting. After "Nowhere", Jang -- who admitted that he "used to feel flattered when people told me I looked Adonis" -- said that "for an actor, there is nothing as dangerous as being caught in a single image" and wanted to play different types of characters in movies.

Kwak Kyung-taek

Filmmaker who directed Jang in "Friend" and "Typhoon". "Friend" made Jang a blockbuster movie star and certified him as a bankable actor who had "good looks and good acting skills as well". Like Tom Cruise, whom he is said to have studied, Jang had everything that a handsome actor could have. "Friend" and "Tae Guk Ki", his two most successful films, had elements that could attract both male and female and the young and old. He portrayed the tragic life of a gang member in "Friend" while his crazy intense acting in "Tae Guk Ki" was enough to convince the viewers that he had "good acting chops". As Korea's hottest heartthrob playing a strong, impressive character in a blockbuster movie, Jang was able win the public's affection on both aspects: as a handsome actor and as a great actor. There might be other actors who are either better looking or more talented than Jang. But there is no one possesses both qualities and is as well known and as appreciated as he is.

Beop Jeong

A buddhist monk who authored Jang's favorite book "No Possession" and served as chairman on the "Life Share Association(LISA)", an organ donation committee. Jang signed with the committee to donate his cornea when he dies. Working as a PR ambassador for LISA, Jang felt that it was "hypocritical to recommend organ donation to others" so he decided to do it himself. He also participated in the one-man demonstration [Korean stars took turns holding up a sign] to oppose the government's decision to reduce screen quotas for Korean films. He was quoted as saying, "I wouldn't be so against the decision if the government could delay free trade of rice for ten years by decreasing screen quotas". For someone who rarely appears on TV variety programs, he enthusiastically agreed to show up on a radio show for his close friend Kong Hyung-jin, threw a baseball at the opening season of the K-League and is rumored to be a "typography addict" who has a beautiful handwriting. He's gorgeous, talented, does charity work and is very good at managing his personal life that no negative remarks were written about him in the "Celebrity X-FILE" [a collection of confidential, scandalous information on Korean celebrities which was leaked to the public in 2005]. Jang's current position is far beyond a famous entertainer and is closer to being the ideal man that the Korean public can trust.

Kang Ho-dong

The emcee who lost Jang to Park Joong-hoon. Every variety show host, including Kang, wants Jang to appear on their program. But Jang says he is "not trying to build a mystique" but does believe it is "good to be mysterious to a certain extent and meet fans through his characters." This attitude was effective for him in maintaining his charisma as a top star, but creates as much of a distance. Perhaps that is the reason why after "Friend", his movies got bigger and bigger - from "Taegukgi" to "Typhoon" to "The Warrior's Way" -- and his characters also became somewhat far from that of an average man. Jang, along with Hallyu star Bae Yong-joon, currently has the biggest name and the biggest responsibility in Korea. Of course, he appears on television commercials where he can show himself as a human being but from a certain a point on, he has became a force that people have felt they can only meet on screen.

Jang Jin

Director of "Good Morning President". "President" is by far the most perfect yet most unexpected choice that Jang has made. His character, who has immense public support, good looks and a flawless personal life, is perfectly fitting for Jang. But working with director Jang Jin, who has a unique sense of humor, was an unexpected choice. Pairing director Jang Jin with someone with an image like Jang Dong-gun's seemed almost awkward. Somewhat reminiscent of his role in "Nowhere to Hide", Jang shared his screen time with two of Korea's most respected actors Lee Soon-jae and Go Doo-shim and played his character differently than people had expected. Any actor can get drunk or fart in the role, but when President Jang Dong-gun does such things, it becomes something new. The early success of "President" could be due to the fact that people wanted to see both the "perfect guy" and "humanistic star" in the film. Just like that, Jang had entered another turning point in his career.

Playboys

A baseball team composed of Korean celebrities including Jang. Jang talked about Playboys in every one of his interviews for "President". As a member of the team, Jang proves that he too is just a human being who wants to win and even spits our curse words during the games. This could be something that shows another change in Jang. The former extra and model has now become the hottest movie star who attracts ten million viewers and someone who is both "close and distant" from the public. In "President", he shows the daily life of a head of state and takes a step closer to his people. Can Jang free himself from the weight of his famous name and show us a wider and more comfortable path to his career? Oh well, if he could, that would be the birth of the perfect human being.

Senior Reporter : Kang Myoung-Seok two@10asia.co.kr

11-26-2009

Actress Park Si-yeon, Philip Lee Deny Dating

0911126_p15_2.jpg

Popular actress Park Si-yeon and model-turned-actor Philip Lee denied Thursday a report that they have been dating.

A local sports daily reported that the two have been dating for about four months after becoming friends when they were cast together in a KBS2 TV drama in May.

However, officials from their agencies denied the report, saying that the actors are just friends.

``We have said it's not true. They have not developed a romantic relationship, though they are close,'' said an official from the agency representing Lee.

``They have been getting together often, but they are not dating,'' an official from the agency representing Park said.

Lee rose to stardom after playing Cheoro on MBC TV's ``Taewangsasinggi'' (The Four Guardian Gods of the King) in 2008.

Park, a runner-up at the 2000 Miss Korea pageant, has appeared in a number of TV dramas and movies, including ``Marine Boy,'' and ``Dachimawa Lee.''

Rain's "Ninja" tops debutantes on U.S. box office

2009112710251900749_1.jpg

Movie poster for "Ninja Assassin" [Warner Brothers]

Blockbuster action movie "Ninja Assassin", starring Korean megastar Rain, was the best debutant amongst all Hollywood films on the U.S. box office yesterday, according to the film's distributor on Friday.

Warner Brothers said in a press release that "Ninja" had the biggest opening out of a total six movies that were released on November 25 and ranked fourth overall on the daily box office.

"Ninja" outdid No. 3 movie "2012" in terms of profitability (dollars earned per theater) by raking in 300,000 dollars more than John Cusack's disaster flick. The movie even outsold and placed higher than the family comedy movie "Old Dog", which stars Hollywood heavyweights Robin Williams and John Travolta.

"Ninja", which opened in 2,503 theaters across the country, is the only movie in ranking within the top seven that is showing at less than 3,000 screens and has an R-rating.

The 27-year-old star is currently in Harbour City, Hong Kong, wrapping up a world promotion tour for the film. He attended a star-studded VIP premiere party for the movie at the prestigious Grand Ocean Cinema.

Rain is scheduled to perform at Hong Kong's Asia-World Expo over the weekend of November 28-29 as part of the "Legend of Rainism" tour.

Kim Hye-ja wins Best Actress at Asia Pacific awards

2009112711125845688_1.jpg

Korean actress Kim Hye-ja [Asia Economic Daily]

Korean actress Kim Hye-ja won the title of Best Actress at the 3rd Asian Pacific Screen Awards held Thursday.

The actress took the award for her role in film "Mother", claiming her second win for the part at an international film event this year. Earlier this month, she won the Best Actress award at China's Golden Rooster and Hundred Flowers Film Festival.

Kim, a veteran actress, has received more than a few appraisals for her performance in the film helmed by directed Bong Joon-ho. Critics from Cannes, Toronto, Vancouver and New York film festival have complimented Kim's acting, praising it as "the performance of the year" and "exceptional acting that expresses heaven and hell on a single face."

Held on the Gold Coast in the state of Queensland, Australia, other Korean winners at the event were director Yang Ik-joon of "Ddongpari", who received the High Commendation award from the jury, and filmmaker Lee Chang-dong, also producer of "A Brand New Life", which won the spot for Best Children's Film.

"Mother", which co-stars Hallyu star Won Bin as the mentally disturbed son, has been sold to 12 countries including Australia, Brazil, England, France, Germany, Portugal and U.S.

Reporter : Ko Jae-wan star@asiae.co.kr

11-26-2009

Will Yoo Jae-suk Quit 'Family Outing' Show?

0911126_p15_yoo.jpg

MC Yoo Jae-suk

Yoo Jae-suk, the nation's most popular comedian and TV presenter, will reportedly bow out of several TV variety shows he has been hosting for years amid declining viewer rates.

Yoo, dubbed as ``emcee of the nation,'' will not extend his contract with SBS TV for its ``Family Outing'' variety show, a local daily reported. His contract expires in January.

However, an SBS representative said that nothing had been decided yet.

``It's true that Yoo has talked with the SBS staff about an extension of the contract. But nothing has been determined yet,'' the representative was quoted as saying by another media source.

Yoo has led the show since June, 2008, when the Sunday primetime program was launched.

It has been rumored that he will also quit MBC TV's ``Infinite Challenge'' show. But this has been denied by the program director.

Yoo, known as the most expensive entertainer, earned 940 million won ($783,000) from MBC last year, the largest amount among MBC entertainers.

The viewer ratings of both ``Infinite Challenge'' and ``Family Outing'' have been sliding recently, while his rival comedian Kang Ho-dong's shows are drawing relatively higher viewer ratings.

Archived