[News] Drama, Movies, Actors & Actresses

Guest CindyW88

12-10-2009 17:18

Busan Film Fest Highlights Anti-Piracy

091012_p14_busan.jpg

Stars call for anti-piracy at a session held at the 14th Pusan (Busan) International

Film Festival underway at the southern port city.From left, Ahn Sung-ki,Ha Ji-won,

Kim Ha-neul,Uhm Jung-hwa, Jang Dong-gun and Park Joong-hoon./Courtesy of PIFF

BUSAN ― South Korea may be one of the largest film markets in the world, ranking within the top 10 list in terms of ticket sales revenue and audience size, and it has become commonplace for Hollywood blockbuster films to have their premieres or Asian junkets here. But the widespread circulation of pirated DVDs on the streets and movie files online is deeply hurting the industry.

During the 14th Pusan International Film Festival, ongoing in the seaside resort through Friday, the problem was highlighted by launching a star-studded campaign and an international forum.

A seminar last Friday brought together related experts from near and far to discuss copyright issues. According to the Korea Copyright Commission, damages from pirated films amount to about 1 trillion won each year.

Recently ``Haeundae,'' a blockbuster about a tsunami that became one of the highest grossing films in Korean box office history, suffered from piracy overseas. The action flick opened in Chinese theaters Aug. 25 but a few days later a pirated version complete with Chinese subtitles started circulating both on and offline. The movie file was illegally downloaded about 10,000 times, and DVDs sold for a mere five yuan (900 won), said Hong Seung-gi, president of the Korea Entertainment Law Society.

``Fortunately, a Korean law enforcement unit acted quickly and tracked down the distributor. This shows how important and urgent international cooperation is in fighting piracy,'' he said.

Naoshi Yoda of T-Joy, Japan's leading multiplex company, also voiced strong concern about piracy. ``In 2005, the Japanese film industry lost 82 billion yen (around 920 million dollars) due to the production and sales of pirated DVDs. Worldwide, the damage amounted to about 180 billion dollars,'' he said.

The anti-piracy campaign, ``I'm a Good Downloader,'' featuring top Korean stars garnered much interest Friday afternoon at the outdoor stage of the PIFF Village. Hallyu star Jang Dong-gun, who appears in the festival's opening film ``Good Morning President,'' and actresses Ha Ji-won and Uhm Jung-hwa, heroines of ``Haeundae,'' took part in the event.

"Haeundae recently suffered from piracy. This negatively affects our country as a whole, and I hope this can be an opportunity to change our downloading habits,'' said Ahn Sung-ki, veteran actor and director of the campaign.

``If we don't solve this problem of illegal downloading, it will downgrade the quality of filmmaking, which in turn negatively affects moviegoers,'' said Jang. ``Just because you pay for downloading a movie doesn't mean it is legal. Please use legal movie file-sharing services.''

Films making their Korean premiere at the festival were prone to illegal online distribution.

The Japanese TV anime-turned live feature ``Yatterman'' had its Korean premiere Friday in the Open Cinema section. The film was however illegally downloaded on domestic file sharing Web sites. The DVD quality of the exposed file, complete with Korean subtitles, didn't differ much from the big screen version.

Lu Chuan's ``City of Life and Death,'' a headline-making film depicting the 1937 Japanese invasion of Nanjing, China, was also found on illegal movie file-sharing sites.

Meanwhile the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism and related copyrights organizations will host a seminar Tuesday at the Haeundae Grand Hotel. The event will introduce an updated version of Illegal Copyrights Obstruction Project (ICOP-II), a system for cracking down piracy online.

Credits : Lee Hyo-won, Staff Reporter (hyowlee@koreatimes.co.kr)

Source : The Korea Times

• Replies 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

France honors Jeon with cultural merit

2009101215534181752_1.jpg

From left, French trade minister Anne-Marie Idrac presents South Korean actress Jeon

Do-youn with France's Chevalier des Arts et Lettres. [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

The French government saluted Jeon Do-youn for her contribution to France's culture, presenting the Cannes award-winner with a cultural merit of honor over the weekend.

The 36-year-old actress was awarded the Chevalier des Arts et Lettres medal by French Minister of Foreign Trade Anne-Marie Idrac at an event for French filmmakers on the sideline of this year's Pusan International Film Festival on Saturday.

"The reason we are happily gathered here today is to pay homage to actress Jeon Do-youn," Idrac said, adding it is "now France's turn to express its acknowledgement to one whose charm has been recognized internationally."

Irdac continued to laud the actress, saying her acting is comparable to those of global actresses such as Sophia Loren, Isabelle Adjani and Simone Signoret, also previous winners of the silver pin.

The award is one of the three levels of cultural order established in 1957 by the France's Minister of Culture and confirmed in 1963 as part of the National Order by President Charles de Gaulle.

"My career is still insignificant and I think this is only the beginning," a humble Jeon said but also promising to try harder to return France's gesture.

The actress has received over dozens of top recognitions on both the small and big screen since her debut in 1990. She won the award for Best Actress at the 2007 Cannes Film Festival for her role in film "Secret Sunshine" by director Lee Chang-dong.

2009101215534181752_3.jpg

(Center) South Korean actress Jeon Do-youn [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

Reporter : Wee Geun-woo eight@10asia.co.kr

Photographer : Chae ki-won ten@10asia.co.kr

Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr, Jang Kyung-Jin three@10asia.co.kr

<ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved>

Yoo Jae-suk MBC's Priciest Entertainer

091012_p15_yoo.jpg

TV presenter Yoo Jae-suk

Popular comedian Yoo Jae-suk, nicknamed the"MC of the nation," is the most expensive entertainer at Munhwa Broadcasting Corporation (MBC).

Yoo earned 940 million won ($783,000) from the broadcaster last year, the largest amount among MBC entertainers, according to data submitted by Rep. Lee Jung-hyun of the Grand National Party to a broadcasting committee of the National Assembly.

Trailing Yoo were comedian Park Myung-soo at 843 million won, TV personality Shon Seok-hee at 177 million won, singer Lee Moon-se at 176 million won and radio personality Bae Chul-soo at 174 million won.

It was Yoo's third consecutive year at the top of the list. He received 922 million won in 2007 and 800 million won in 2006.

Including his income from appearances on KBS and SBS, Yoo earned an estimated total of about 3 billion won.

MBC's top 10 most expensive entertainers accounted for about 22 percent of its total payment to those who appeared in its TV and radio programs last year.

Credits : chojh@koreatimes.co.kr

---------------

Yoo Jae-suk Paid Nearly W1 Billion by MBC in 2008

2009101200443_0.jpg

Yoo Jae-suk

Comedian Yoo Jae-suk was the biggest earner at Munhwa Broadcasting Corporation (MBC) last year, raking in W954.4 million for hosting several programs, a report reveals (US$1=W1,163).

Comedian Park Myung-soo came in second with W842.8 million, followed by comedian Lee Hwi-jae (W574.5 million), according to data submitted to GNP lawmaker Lee Jung-hyun of the National Assembly's Culture, Sports, Tourism, Broadcasting and Communications Committee on Sunday. The data came from the Foundation for Broadcasting Culture, MBC's largest shareholder.

In the radio hosts category, Kang Suk made the largest sum of W189.4 million, followed by Sohn Suk-hee (W177 million), Lee Moon-sae (W175.7 million), Bae Chul-soo (W174.1 million) and Kim Hye-young (W171.2 million).

MBC paid its top 10 highest earning TV hosts a total of W5.75 billion and its top 10 radio hosts W1.67 billion, jointly accounting for 21.6 percent of MBC's total outlay for entertainers of W34.4 billion.

Credits : englishnews@chosun.com

Production Conference Held for "Hot Blood"

A press conference was held to announce the production of the new special weekend drama "Hot Blood" at the Renaissance Hotel in Seoul on October 7.

The conference was attended by director Ji Byung-hyun and four leading casting members: Chae Jung-an, Cho Yoon-hee, Choi Chul-ho and Park Hae-jin. Also in attendance was comic book writer Park In-kwon, who wrote the comic book series with the same title on which the drama is based.

232_615_l.jpg

▲ Director Ji Byung-Hyun (far right) poses with leading cast members at a

production conference

The drama deals with the struggles and love of young people who want to be the best in the car sales business.

Director Ji said, "The message I want to convey in the drama is that the most important thing in business is to win the hearts of people. Making a fortune is not the bottom line as it is usually thought to be."

He added, "It shows how a young man named Ha Ryu struggles to rise to the top from the bottom of the social ladder, but unlike the original story in which he is motivated by his love for a woman to choose his profession, it will focus on how he gradually grows up to be a man. It also portrays the various lives of different people."

When asked about what he thinks about concerns over the tendency of a drama which is supposed to deal with the lives of professionals to eventually turn into nothing more than a melodrama, the director said, "The writer and I have been giving the most serious thought on the matter. A drama can’t help including a love relationship in its plot, and we will try our best not to highlight it only, incorporating it as part of well-structured storyline."

232_616_l.jpg

▲ From left, Choi Chul-ho, Cho Yoon-hee, Chae Jung-an, and Park Hae-jin

Park Hae-jin, who typically plays a gentle character, has been expected to present a different image of himself through his role of a tough car salesman. But it seems that he is also cautious about such expectations, saying, "He is just a passionate, diligent young man rather than being tough or masculine."

Chae Jung-an plays opposite park as Kim Jae-hui, a charismatic car dealer, Choi Chul-ho Kang Seung-ju, a cold-blooded car dealer with wily street smarts, and Cho Yoon-hee Min Da-hae, an insurance investigator.

"Hot Blood" began airing on October 10 on KBS2, succeeding "The Iron Empress."

Writer: KBSi Jin Yeong-joo

Photo: KBS public affairs team Lee Min-gyu

Source : KBS Global

2009/10/13

(Movie Review)

Being 'too pretty' a minus in teen flick

SEOUL, Oct. 13 (Yonhap) -- A young Korean-American adoptee who returns to her homeland after 23 years. A boy who has never left home and believes Seoul's central Han River is the prettiest on earth. As different as night is from day, the two embark on a tumultuous journey of discovery where they ultimately find new hope for love.

20091013092448_bodyfile.jpg

"Maybe (Tokkiwa rijeod)," invited to this year's Pusan International Film Festival's Korean Cinema Today: Panorama section, is a pretty movie featuring a pretty actress and a handsome actor on the prettiest streets of Seoul.

But because it lacks a convincing plot, the debut by newcomer Ju Ji-hong has the feel of a lengthy music video rather than a feature film.

20091013092501_bodyfile.jpg

May (Seong Yu-ri) says all she wants to know is how she got the scar on her shoulder, which resembles a lizard and holds the key to her identity and past. A long-standing grudge fueled by the absence of her parents has made her sullen and resentful of those around her.

Eun-seol (Jang Hyuk) is a young taxi driver suffering from a rare heart disease. With the clock ticking he looks past May's rough exterior, hoping to help retrace her past as he waits for his own untimely death. During their journey, he often returns to the theme of a "red rabbit" named hope.

Under the Korean title of "Rabbit and Lizard," the film weaves past and present as the relationship between the two evolves.

Although the overall effect of Ju's movie is disappointing, a solid soundtrack and refined cinematography attests to the potential of the French-trained newcomer.

20091013092516_bodyfile.jpg

While studying at FEMIS, France's national film school, Ju directed such outstanding shorts as "Deal (2000)," "Image Thief (2000)," "Night (2001)" and "Dead Angel (2001)," being selected a New Generation director by Paris-Berlin Art Action and lauded by several European film events.

Upon graduation, Ju won the Centre National de la Cinematographie's (French film council) scenario contest with his "Le Mal de Dents," later produced into his first feature starring Kristin Scott Thomas and Laura Smet in 2004.

"Maybe" is Ju's first feature film produced in Korea.

"I wanted to create a new melodrama with its focus on healing internal wounds," Ju said after the movie's preview Monday. "I am satisfied with how Seong Yu-ri and Jang Hyuk understood and expressed the characters."

The movie, with a running time of 101 minutes, will hit local cinemas beginning Oct. 22.

Credits : Shin Hae-in (hayney@yna.co.kr)

Source : Yonhap News

Director's Cut version of "Thirst" shown at PIFF

2009101309091410850_1.jpg

From left, director Park Chan-wook, actors Song Kang-ho and Kim Hae-sook of "Thirst"

[Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

Remember priest Sang-hyun's prayer in the film "Thirst" earlier this year? How, after killing the father-figure principal priest, he kept telling himself that he didn't do anything wrong while carrying his dead body into the car?

If you have seen "Thirst" but do not remember seeing this scene, it is not your fault. The Director's Cut version of "Thirst", which added in about ten minutes of film including the aforementioned scene, is being played at the 14th Pusan International Film Festival (PIFF).

2009101309091410850_2.jpg

Korean actor Song Kang-ho [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

Critically acclaimed director Park Chan-wook, actor Song Kang-ho starred in the vampire horror flick as Sang-hyun and actress Kim Hae-sook who played a supporting role, held a question and answer session with the audience after the second showing of the edited version of the film on Sunday, where many foreign movie fans were seen listening to the director and taking notes in every corner of the theatre.

The director of the Cannes jury prize winner started off the session by saying, "I'm sorry to have made a long movie even longer and show it to you." But he didn't hide his affection for the film while explaining the stories behind making the Director's Cut version.

Most of the questions were directed at Park, perhaps because the film had already opened and been seen by many people. Actor Song Kang-ho, being playful in front of the audience, turned on the microphone for Park and got him a chair.

2009101309091410850_3.jpg

Korean actress Kim Hae-sook [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

When asked by a foreign fan about the recent popularity of vampire films overseas and its link with the film, Park answered, "I think people are attracted to the eternal youth and beauty that vampires have." But Park stressed the unique appeal of "Thirst" by adding, "In that sense, 'Thirst' is actually a very different kind of movie."

The final showing of the Director's Cut version of "Thirst", only available at the PIFF, is scheduled for Wednesday at 10 a.m.

Park is the first South Korean director to have received two honors at the Cannes Film Festival. His hit flick "Old Boy" won the Grand Prix at the fest in 2004.

Reporter : Yoonina TV Critic

Photographer : Lee Jin-hyuk eleven@10asia.co.kr

Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr

<ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved>

2009-10-13

Sung Yoo-ri Debuts on Big Screen

"It was big pressure for me because my face filled the entire screen and my acting was shown to everyone in the world. But we were able to finish the shoot smoothly thanks to the support of the production team. Now it's up to viewers to judge if it was good or not," said actress Sung Yoo-ri, who has debuted on big screen in the movie "Maybe." At the production announcement for the movie on October 5 at Lotte Avenuel, Sung introduced herself as a "new actress."

7164_449_l.jpg

"Maybe" is a road movie about May, a woman who was adopted to the U.S. when she was young and visited her home country 23 years later in search of her identity. To portray her character, Sung had to perfectly depict the feelings of despair, loss and hope without saying many lines. "Unlike my previous characters, May doesn't talk much. I had to portray her feelings through facial expressions, so I thought a lot of what I would think if I were her. I also watched documentaries about adopted children and learned English," said Sung.

"The production team hardly ever talked to me because I didn't have to say many lines. At first, I liked it but then it became boring. I chose this movie because of its exotic and unusual scenario," added the actress.

Jang Hyuk, who plays a taxi driver with a rare heart disease, said Sung worked hard and lauded her acting skills as natural. He also added that he liked his character for his refusal to give up and doing his best. "Despite his heart disease, my character continues to live to the fullest and even meets new women. That's why I told the director that I wanted to take this tole."

"Maybe" was directed by Joo Ji-hong, who debuted in France in 2004. It is his first domestic production, and it had been invited to the 14th Pusan International Film Festival to the category "Korean Film Today - Panorama."

"Maybe" is slated for release on October 22.

7164_450_l.jpg

Source : KBS Global

13-10-2009

English Subtitled Korean Films 'for Sale

091013_p14_english.jpg

Korean films such as "Scandal Makers" will be shown with subtitles in English

and other foreign languages, with a discounted price, at major theaters in Seoul

through Saturday. / Courtesy of Lotte Entertainment

The Seoul government is offering foreign moviegoers a chance to enjoy the latest Korean films with foreign subtitles at a discounted price. Cinema Week continues through Saturday at major theater chains in the city as part of Seoul Grand Sale 2009.

CGV Myeongdong, Yongsan and Apgujeong will offer movies subtitled in English, Japanese and Chinese for a reduced rate of 6,000 won. Titles include the tearjerker "Closer to Heaven" starring Lee Myung-min as a dying Lou Gehrig's disease patient and Ha Ji-won as his devoted wife, and "A Sword With No Name," a star-crossed romance between a queen (Su Ae) and her bodyguard (Cho Seung-woo) during the late Joseon Kingdom (1392-1910).

Lotte Cinema Avenuel in Myeongdong will offer the following subtitled films: the espionage romantic comedy "My Girlfriend Is an Agent" (English, Japanese); teen ghost story "Whispering Corridors 5: Blood Pledge" (English); "Mother" (English), Bong Joon-ho's dramatic thriller that received critical acclaim at the Cannes Film Festival; "Marine Boy" (English), which showcases large-scale water action sequences; "Scandal Makers" (English), a box office smash family comedy starring Cha Tae-hyun; auction house scandal story "Insadong Scandal" (Japanese); and "Chaw" (Japanese) featuring a homicidal hog.

Foreigners who purchase a ticket for the subtitled Korean films will get one free ticket for their accompanying guest.

Seoul Grand Sale continues through Nov. 25, featuring the following themed weeks: palaces (Oct. 18-24), beauty & health (Oct. 25-31), night shopping (Nov. 6-14) and hotels (Nov. 15-25). Various discounts, events and packages will be available.

For more information visit www.seoulgrandsale.com (Korean, English, Japanese, simplified and traditional Chinese

Credits : Lee Hyo-won, Staff Reporter (hyowlee@koreatimes.co)

10-13-2009 19:48

Kim Je-dong Bids Tearful Farewell to Fans

By Cho Jae-hyon

Staff Reporter

091013_p17_jedong.jpg

TV presenter Kim Je-dong, dismissed Saturday from popular KBS weekend primetime show ``Star Golden Bell,'' made a tearful farewell to his fans during the last recording of the program, Monday, according to program staffers.

The recording of the last edition came as the dismissal has attracted speculation that the sacking is the latest in a series of eliminations of liberal figures from organizations run by the conservative Lee Myung-bak administration.

``I really appreciate our staff and viewers for having loved this program so far,'' Kim said, with tears welling in his eyes.

Afterwards, Kim declined to reply to questions from reporters, saying only ``I thank you.''

Kim has been at the center of a dispute over the reasons for the dismissal ― KBS claims it is merely part of a program restructuring when faced with escalating allegations from politicians and netizens that it was politically motivated.

Kim hosted a memorial ceremony for the late former President Roh Moo-hyun in May. It is not the first time a celebrity is suspected of having been dismissed due to liberal connections.

Rocker Yoon Do-hyun was suspended from his long-running KBS2 show ``Love Letter'' last November.

Kim and Yoon are represented by the same agency, Daeum Entertainment, which is run by Kim Young-jun.

Kim, the agency president, posted a long letter on Internet portal Daum, Monday, in which he said that KBS sent a short note to the company over the dismissal, adding that it only said, ``It's because Kim hosted the show for a long time.''

Daeum's chief said it is difficult to figure out the real intention of those who decided on the sacking.

He said Kim and Yoon have been forthcoming on making remarks that support the socially underprivileged, but they are not politically motivated. ``They're not `politainers' (a compound of politician and entertainers) but `socialtainers,''' he said.

In the meantime, the association of KBS program directors issued a statement criticizing its management for sacking the host.

``Management sacked even an entertainment program MC after removing all critical programs dealing with social and political issues,'' it said. ``It's nonsense to unseat a host who had been with the program from the start without picking a substitute. It's nothing but vengeance against his hosting of a street memorial service for former President Roh Moo-hyun and his critical remarks on social issues.''

chojh@koreatimes.co.kr

*** MC Kim Jae Dong's Thread at Soompi Forum

"President" cast speak at press screening

2009101317344557448_1.jpg

The cast and director of film "Good Morning President". [Park Sung-ki/Asia Economic Daily]

The cast and director of film "Good Morning President" speak to reporters during a photo session of a press screening held at a CJ CGV theatre in Seoul on October 13, 2009. From top, actor Jang Dong-gun, actor Lee Soong-jae, actress Goh Doo-shim, actor Lim Ha-ryong, actress Han Chae-young and director Jang Jin. The film is set for release on October 22.

2009101317474827728_1.jpg

Actor Jang Dong-gun [Park Sung-ki/Asia Economic Daily]

2009101317474827728_2.jpg

Actor Lee Soon-jae [Park Sung-ki/Asia Economic Daily]

2009101317474827728_3.jpg

Actress Goh Doo-shim [Park Sung-ki/Asia Economic Daily]

2009101317474827728_4.jpg

Actor Lim Ha-ryong [Park Sung-ki/Asia Economic Daily]

2009101317474827728_5.jpg

Actress Han Chae-young [Park Sung-ki/Asia Economic Daily]

2009101317474827728_6.jpg

Director Jang Jin [Park Sung-ki/Asia Economic Daily]

Photographer : Park Sung-Ki musictok@asiae.co.kr

Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr

"Take Off" becomes sixth most-watched film

2009101317143051757_1.jpg

Poster of hit movie "Take Off" [KM Culture]

Korean movie "Take Off" broke yet another box office record to become the sixth most-watched film in Korean history, according to a press release on Tuesday.

The blockbuster film accumulated a total of 8,426,233 viewers on Monday, surpassing the record previously held by "D-War" with 8.42 million viewers, producer KM Culture announced in the statement.

The sports flick, now into its twelfth week of release and still attracting viewers, has also won awards at several film festivals: the Readers' Jury Award at Buil Film Awards and Best Director, Best Music, Best Technology awards at the Busan Film Critics Association Awards, held on October 9.

"Off", starring Ha Jung-woo, was inspired by a true story about a group of ski jumpers who prepare to compete for the Olympics.

Reporter : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr

2009/10/14

Kim Yu-na, Cha Tae-hyun Named Most Popular Celebrity Spokespersons

2009101400309_0.jpg

From left, Kim Yu-na and Cha Tae-hyun

Figure skating champ Kim Yu-na and actor Cha Tae-hyun, who most recently starred in the box office hit "Speed Scandal," were the most popular celebrity spokespersons in advertising in the first half of the year, according to the Media and Consumer Research survey conducted by the Korea Broadcast Advertising Corporation.

Actress Kim Tae-hee, who topped the list last year among female spokesmodels, came in second, followed by actress Jeon Ji-hyun, pop star Lee Hyo-lee, and actresses Kim Nam-joo, Han Ga-in and Lee Young-ae.

Last year's top male finisher, actor Jang Dong-gun, came in second this year. Singer Rain, footballer Park Ji-sung, actor Lee Min-ho, singer and actor Lee Seung-gi followed.

This year's top finishers, Kim Yu-na and Cha, were not even in the top 10 last year.

Credits : englishnews@chosun.com

2009/10/14

TV producers from Korea, China, Japan meet in Korea

SEOUL, Oct. 14 (Yonhap) -- TV producers from Korea, China and Japan begin a four-day forum in South Korea on Wednesday aimed at increasing cooperation and the trade of broadcast materials among the three countries, the event's organizers said.

The ninth Korea-China-Japan TV Producers' Forum will be attended by some 150 television directors from the three countries, and will screen 12 programs selected under the title "City and Human." Participating producers will cast votes for the four best works, one of which will be receiving the Grand Prize.

South Korea entered four programs including an environment special series by KBS and a series featuring Seoul city by education channel EBS.

The forum was jointly established by Korea and Japan in 2001, and later joined by China in 2003.

With the popularity of Korea's pop culture, also dubbed the Korean Wave, sweeping Southeast Asia, Korea has had its TV programs exported to a growing number of distant nations such as the Philippines, Indonesia and Singapore. Japan and China, however, remain the biggest market for Korean entertainment.

This year's event will be held in Incheon, about 80km west of Seoul.

Credits : hayney@yna.co.kr

Source : Yonhap News, The Korea Herald

"Elephant" invited to int'l film festivals

2009101409071383837_2.jpg

Poster of Korean movie "Searching for the Elephant" [big House-Vantage Holdings]

Korean film "Searching for the Elephant" has been invited to several international film festivals, according to the film's producer Big House-Vantage Holdings.

The film, which opens November 5, received official invite from film fests in Poland, Sweden, Brazil and England, Big House announced in a press release on Tuesday.

"Elephant" will be presented in the competition category at the 25th Varshava International Film Festival, held in Poland, as well as the Stockholm International Film Festival, the biggest competitive film fest in Scandinavia.

"["Searching for the Elephant"] is a very important film that explores modern people's worries and problems in very unique, cinematic ways," an official at the Stockholm International Film Festival was quoted as saying.

Previous winners at Stockholm include Hollywood director Quentin Tarantino, who won back-to-back with "Reservoir Dogs" and "Pulp Fiction", and Korean filmmaker Park Chan-wook, who won the Audience Award in 2004 with "Old Boy".

The film will also shown at the Sao Paulo International Film Festival in Brazil and Leeds International Film Festival in England.

"Elephant" is about the intimate personal lives of three thirty-something men struggling with schizophrenia, sex addiction and infidelity. The movie stars Korean actors Jang Hyuk, Jo Dong-hyeok, Lee Sang-woo and Lee Min-jeong.

Kim Ji-woon, Brian Singer meet and greet at PIFF

2009101319251493942_1.jpg

Hollywood director Byran Singer and Korean director Kim Ji-woon attend an open talk session at the 14th

Pusan International Film Festival on October 11, 2009 in Busan, South Korea. [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

South Korean director Kim Ji-woon and Hollywood director Bryan Singer are alike -- both producing seemingly completely different movies every time yet sealing each one their own.

Singer's stories range from shockingly twisted plots to mystery thrillers to superhero action flicks. It is quite difficult to think that "The Usual Suspect", "X-Men" and "Superman Returns" were all created by the same person, but Singer has established a brand of his own which is trusted because his stories are "all about mankind", as he says.

Kim too has always approached the audience with new genres -- from comedy to noir to western -- with "The Quiet Family", "The Foul King", "A Tale of Two Sisters", "A Bittersweet Life" and "The Good, the Bad, the Weird".

These two directors do not separate their creative activities according to their genre, nor do they have any fear in doing so. Were it not for the 14th Pusan International Film Festival (PIFF), we may have never found out that they both think "The Exorcist" is the best film ever made and that they both make the same evaluation about each other.

Below are excerpts from their press conference held in Busan, South Korea on Sunday.

2009101319251493942_2.jpg

Hollywood director Bryan Singer [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

Q: The PIFF is vibrant everyday with its various events but

Saturday night is the hottest. How did you two spend your Saturday night?

Kim Ji-woon: Yesterday wasn't a 'hot' night for me. I had a cold night and slept early because I didn't have anywhere to go. (laugh) But as much as the PIFF is often called the sea of films or sea of drinking, I drank with Bryan Singer. Of course, we couldn't talk much because of my English. (laugh) But Bryan Singer really drank vodka endlessly.

Bryan Singer: I did drink a lot of vodka but so did Kim Ji-woon.

Kim: I drank water which looked like vodka. (laugh)

Q: It hasn't been that long yet but your memories are faltering. (laugh) I understand that you both greatly enjoy each other's films.

Singer: What is surprising about Kim's films are that they are different every time. If I had to pick my favorite, it would be "A Bittersweet Life". But I respect him so much that it's difficult to just choose one.

Kim: I think I've seen every one of Singer's movies except for his debut film "Public Access" which won an award at the Sundance Film Festival. What's amazing is that he is always successful in changing the genre and size of every film he makes. He might have the 'Midas touch'. Most of you may know him from "The Usual Suspects". I usually don't go back to watch films which have surprising twists but I realized what Singer is really about the second time I watched "Suspects". You'll be able to experience genius producing watching it. When I first heard he would be directing "X-Men", I thought he would develop on his style like Guy Ritchie but I was very surprised because it was unexpectedly very serious. The surprise was as strong and refreshing as if Michael Bay were to make a film about the human rights of colored races or Quentin Tarantino were to remake "The Sound of Music". He made "X-Men" into a film where he maintains his own style, yet outstandingly depicts the dilemma of the minority rather than turning it into a simple and stupid blockbuster. He endlessly describes how the minority collides with, and then makes peace with the tough existant world. I think Bryan Singer is not just a blockbuster director but a genius director with serious themes.

Q: We heard that you just completed a scenario for a Hollywood film and are meeting with a lot of people there to prepare for it. How are they different from Koreans in the movie industry?

Kim: It's impossible to predict the next step you'll get to take with Hollywood films. It's because of the difference in systems, or because I don't know their industry well enough. But I think all filmmakers have similar dispositions -- taking a liking to good movies and wanting to invest in movies that will make it big.

Q: You met actively with Korean filmmakers when you visited Korea this spring with "Valkyrie" and this time again at the PIFF. We're curious to know what the difference is between the Korean filmmakers and those in Hollywood that you've met.

Singer: The biggest difference is that Korea gives its directors more authority over the final edited version of the film. I think that in the Korean film industry, directors or the people who make films are given more freedom. A huge budget is invested into Hollywood films to there's a big risk to leaving everything up to the director. Therefore, the director's job is not just about making a good film but you also need additional skills to earn trust for your project from the studio. Kim said I'm unpredictable but I too can't make any predictions for myself. There are so many oarsmen that you never know where your ship will go.

2009101319251493942_3.jpg

South Korean director Kim Ji-woon [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

Q: You both share the similarity in that you work within the framework of genre films. Is there a reason you like making genre films or any advantages to working on them?

Singer: I like science-fiction (SF) or fantasy because they fundamentally talk about mankind. We hear the normal stories about humans everyday so it's boring, but if you transform them in SF films, you can see new sides to them which you had never seen before. For example, "X-Men" touches on the issues of the structure of society and human relationships but also entirely new things which are impossible in the human world. It's fun achieving what is impossible in reality and also deceiving the audience. The audience think "X-Men" is a spectacular action film but it actually contains your story and my message.

Kim: If you have a genre, it means you've chosen your theme. If it's noir, it'll be about destruction, if horror, then fear about the world you can't see, and if love, then you'll talk about the fear and joy after you lose something. I believe genres themselves contain the theme. And there's the pleasure in reworking the cliches in genre films. Good films contain new cliches.

Q: A lot of people think directors are like superman on set but they actually aren't in real life. Sometimes they even seem lazy (laugh). Are you very different as a director versus the normal you?

Kim: I don't think there's much of a difference. (laugh) I'm not the type that is usually benevolent but turns into a tyrant like James Camron or Michael Bay on set. But I occasionally think I am more tougher on set. Usually, I'll wear layers of clothes even if I'm just a little cold and I agonize greatly over the pains I get from human relationships but I think I oversee those on set. It's like I become a superhuman who doesn't get hurt no matter what happens and just heads towards completing his film. It may be because of the sense of responsibility or to keep my promise with the actors, staff, audience and producers.

Singer: Normally, and on set, I have an obsession over control. It's not as bad as Michael Bay or James Cameron but I do think I'm tyrannical to an extent. (laugh) Like Kim said, I think the will to control comes from a sense of responsibility. I do try to rid myself of it when I come back to my daily life but it's difficult because I can't differentiate between the two. I even have my work in my hands when I go to sleep when making films so it's difficult to draw a line between the two worlds.

Q: A lot of people think it's a pity that Bryan Singer made "Superman Returns" instead of "X-Men 3".

Singer: I'm sorry I didn't make "X-Men 3". (laugh) I wanted to make it too but I really wanted to try making one of the "Superman" series. The first and second series of "X-Men" combined took six years to make although only four hours to watch. You only live life once anyway and I wanted to try as many things as possible so I chose "Superman Returns". But I'm currently in talks about returning to the "X-Men" series. I really love the cast including Hugh Jackman so I would really want to try it again.

Q: Kim, a remake version of your film "A Tale of Two Sisters" was released in Hollywood but it wasn't on a level which could satisfy the audience as well as the original film. What is the reason that, although Hollywood is creating remakes of so many Korean films, they aren't on the same level as the original?

Kim: Why do you have to ask me that... (laugh) There are probably many reasons but to take "Sisters" as an example, the theme was that one's memories were awakened by certain objects or spaces, although she did not want them to be. In some ways, such elements are not comprehensible and unacceptable in western ways of thinking. But more than anything, I think they failed to perfect how they deliver the story to the general public. I think they made an error in trying to explain the abstruse points within the film in a logical way. Just like when people lose the intial strong feelings and interest they had in a story when they start telling it to others. I think Martin Scorsese's remake of "Infernal Affairs" into "The Departed" is what could be called a real remake.

Q: Directors or actors often talk about the great food the country that they're visiting has. But that's cliche so I would like to ask each of you what food you don't like about each other's country.

Kim: I usually eat most things except cow intestines but the food I hate the most are hamburgers. Especially super-size hamburgers. It's so runny and keeps dropping onto your clothes. (laugh) I haven't tried a hamburger since I was in my 20s.

Singer: This question isn't fair. I'm the only American here and you're asking that question in front of so many people. (laugh) There's a lot of scary food in Korea. I tried sea cucumber yesterday in Busan and it was really weird.

Kim: I'm going to make him try 'gaebul' today. (laugh)

Reporter : Lee Ji-Hye (seven@10asia.co.kr)

Photographer : Chae ki-won (ten@10asia.co.kr)

Editor : Jessica Kim (jesskim@asiae.co.kr)

"Maybe" set out to mend hearts

2009101413582721761_1.jpg

From left, actor Jang Hyuk, actress Sung Yu-ri and director Ju Ji-hong pose during a photo session of a press

conference for film "Maybe" at Lotte Cinema in Seoul, South Korea on October 12, 2009. [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

Korean actress Sung Yu-ri hopes her debut film "Maybe" will heal hearts which have been broken or wounded.

The singer-turned-actress made the remark during a press conference held Monday after a screening for the melodrama pic co-starring actor Jang Hyuk which is set for release next week.

The movie, helmed by Ju Ji-hoon, is the South Korean director's first film in his home country. His activities were mostly based in France after graduating FEMIS in France and winning a scenario contest of the CNC for his first feature film "Le Mal de Dent".

Sung plays character May who returns to Korea to find her birth parents and childhood memories after being adopted overseas when she was four.

Her encounter with En-seol, played by Jang, starts the moment he grasps her hand as he is suddenly overcome with physical pain. En-seol is a taxi driver who suffers from a rare cardiac condition where the heart will stop for several seconds without any notice.

From then on, their meetings occur by chance or necessity. They occasionally meet at the right timing and En-seol at times, quite shamelessly, takes care of May who constantly tries to reject him, until the two realize their pain and sincerity.

Below are excerpts from the press conference.

2009101413582721761_2.jpg

South Korean actress Sung Yu-ri [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

Q: A variety of melodrama films are being released in time with the start of autumn. What sort of love story is "Maybe" about?

Ju Ji-hong: I think it could be called an 'emotional melodrama' which shows the process of how two souls which have been hurt, meet by fate, love each other, then start to be healed. Their suffering could have been portrayed in more of a new-school method but I personally wanted to use a new form of analysis to depict the emotions.

Q: It's quite hard to understand the setup of having En-seol, suffering from a heart disease, work as a taxi driver.

Ju: His condition is a symptom which causes heart attacks rather than itself being a disease. In En-seol's case, the symptoms appeared the moment he got in a car accident as a child, so it took 30 years for his heart to reach the extreme condition of halting during his daily life. But I wanted to portray En-seol as someone who doesn't giving up on his daily activities just because he is sick. His character is a taxi driver who rests when he gets sick and goes back to work when he feels better.

Q: You've worked with several foreign actors including Kristin Scott Thomas from "The English Patient" and up and coming French actress Laura Smet. Then you did your first Korean film with Sung Yu-ri. How was it?

Ju: When I shot my first feature film in Paris, I worked with an 18-year-old actress who was also new to the scene. She had a really hard time and was very nervous, but I realized through experience that it is much easier for the actor to work on a film if he or she really digs into the character's emotions. Sung Yu-ri of "Maybe" wasn't as nervous and I am satisfied with how she made her character May her own with her sincerity, effort and her innate innocence.

Q: What do you think, Sung Yu-ri. And how is it seeing your face on the screen for the first time?

Sung Yu-ri: I honestly was under a lot of pressure and was nervous before going into shoot because May's character was completely opposite from the roles I had played before. But I think I was able to do okay because I talked a lot with the director and everyone else on set, including the staff and Jang Hyuk helped me out a lot. In a way I still feel a bit awkward seeing myself on screen but right now, I'm very happy just with the fact that I shot a movie.

Q: I noticed that your name was under the credit for wardrobe.

Sung: I had prepared several clothes for the film and showed them to the director because it was my first film and I was very excited. Thankfully enough, the wardrobe manager allowed several of my clothes to be used for the film. I think it was because of the thought that an actor best harmonizes with his or her character when wearing the most comfortable clothes so I'm happy but also very thankful that my name was mentioned. (laugh)

2009101413582721761_3.jpg

South Korean actor Jang Hyuk [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

Q: May speaks Korean very well although she was adopted to the United States when she was only four. Is there a reason for this setup?

Sung: It was decided on after discussion with the director. I thought about it and I settled on the reasoning that May always had questions about her past and was determined to go to Korea to find memories of her parents and her past. Therefore, she would've studied Korean harder than anyone else.

Q: Jang Hyuk, your character En-seol has both humorous and contemplative sides to him. This is a slight change from the rebellious roles you normally took on during your 20s.

Jang Hyuk: En-seol's character was one that could be expressed only because he has those two sides to him. When I first decided to take on "Maybe", the director and I said we should portray En-seol as a normal person when his symptoms do not surface, rather than a patient. And I think my thoughts and tastes have changed from when I was in my 20s.

Q: You're showing us a variety of sides to you -- in your previous film "Five Senses of Eros" this year and most recent pic "Penthouse Elephant".

Jang: I shot a series of films because I wanted to play various characters but their distribution or release dates have ended up different from the order they were shot in. Since I was young, I've dreamed of becoming an actor who, in between his mid-30s to mid-40s, give off a manly feel. I'll be entering my mid-30s next year and I'd been preparing a lot for it so I think I did a lot of films this year.

Q: Towards the end of the film, the setup of having En-seol and May share the same emotional pain since they were young, may seem a bit unreal.

Ju: The 'red rabbit' that En-seol looks for in the film is part of his past memory he had forgotten about, and May's desire to look for her parents is also part of her pain in the past. I thought that that pain is the turning point in May's life so I believed I should show it with sincerity. I also wanted to let the audience know once again that the meeting between the two characters was fate from the very beginning. Their relationship starts when they hold hands. I wanted to put meaning into this by showing that setup.

Q: What would you like to say to viewers who will watch "Maybe"?

Ju: I think you will be able to love the characters's emotions more if you look into the details of these actors since this is a film which delivers emotions through eye and facial expressions rather than through the story itself or the lines the actors say. The movie was made under difficult circumstances and many people had a hard time because I shot the film in 35mm thinking it would express what I wanted to the best. Anyhow, I really worked hard to show a new form of understanding to emotions.

Sung: The first message the director told me was 'healing'. I hope those of you that watch this will able to be cured of your pains or emotional hurt.

Reporter : Choi Ji-Eun five@10asia.co.kr

Photographer : Chae ki-won ten@10asia.co.kr

Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr, Jang Kyung-Jin three@10asia.co.kr

Actor Lee to build houses with Jimmy Carter

2009101417225336429_1.jpg

Korean actor Lee Seo-jin [Asia Economic Daily]

Korean actor Lee Seo-jin is set to meet with former U.S. president Jimmy Carter for a charity project that builds houses, according to a report on Wednesday.

The actor will participate in the "2009 JRCWP: Jimmy and Rosalynn Carter Work Project", which will take place in five countries in the Mekong River region from November 11 to 15.

Famous participants this year include Chinese martial arts actor Jet Li, Hong Kong actor Daniel Wu and other celebrity PR ambassadors for Habitat.

Lee is scheduled to volunteer for six days at the Habitat site in Chiang Mai, Thailand where 82 houses will be built. He will also attend the dinner hosted by Carter on Friday.

The "Mekong Project" will build a total of 174 houses in five countries along the Mekong River including Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam and China.

Habit for Humanity Korea will donate 44,000 dollars to the project from the funds it has collected from Habitat Korea, KOICA, Binggrae and other organizations.

The Carter Work Project began in 1984 with their involvement in Habitat for Humanity International, a volunteer program that builds houses for families in need of shelter. It takes places at a different location each year and attracts volunteers from all over the world.

Reporter : Kang Seung-hun tarophine@asiae.co.kr

Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr

Bong's new pic most-requested at PPP

2009101417301267984_1.jpg

South Korean director Bong Joon-ho [Asia Economic Daily]

Critically acclaimed South Korean director Bong Joon-ho's upcoming movie was the most requested film during the Pusan Promotion Plan (PPP) this year.

"Bong's next film, tentatively titled 'Le Transperceneige', received the most attention, meeting with about 40 producing and financing companies over the three-day period of the event," said Nam Dong-chul, who overseas the PPP and the Asian Film Market.

Nam added that Focus Pictures and Sony Studios were amongst the several Hollywood producers who showed interest.

Bong, who helmed 2006 smash hit "The Host", teamed with two-time Cannes award-winning director Park Chan-wook to create the big-budget film based on a French comic. They are reportedly said to be aiming for its release in 2012.

The PPP, into its twelfth year, is a platform aimed at introducing filmmakers to potential co-producers, financers and distributors.

A total of 30 projects were selected to take part at this year's PPP which takes place during the Asian Film Market and Pusan International Film Festival every year.

Reporter : Ko Kyoung-seok kave@asiae.co.kr

Lee Jun-ki's "Hero" premiere date pulled up

2009101500362874136_1.jpg

A scene from Lee Jun-ki's new TV series "Hero". [MBC]

South Korean actor Lee Jun-ki's new TV series "Hero" will show a week earlier than expected, according to a broadcaster on Wednesday.

"The drama will air on November 11, pulling up the ending date for 'No Limit' which has been seeing low ratings," said an official at MBC.

The production company for "No Limit" said the issue had not been settled on as of yet.

A couple of South Korea's top stars, including idol group TVXQ member Chung Yun-ho and popular actress Ara, star in the sports drama which has been seeing ratings of around five percent.

"Hero" will star 27-year-old Lee who became a household name in 2005 playing a woman-like clown in the hit film "The King and the Clown" and was recently voted the most popular Korean Wave star in China.

Reporter : Lim Hye-seon lhsro@asiae.co.kr

Kim Ha-neul to promote film "Agent" in Asia

2009101510061208155_1.jpg

The official movie poster for "My Girlfriend is an Agent" released in Singapore. [J. One Plus]

Hallyu star Kim Ha-neul is set to tour Asia to promote her film "My Girlfriend is an Agent", according to her agency on Thursday.

The actress will leave for Vietnam on Saturday, where she will attend a red carpet event a day ahead of the release of the film in the country, then attend premieres and hold press conferences afterwards, J. Plus One said in a press release.

From October 26 to 31, Kim will visit Singapore and Hong Kong, where she is scheduled to give a stage greeting to fans and hold interviews with the media.

"This promotion tour will be an opportunity for the long-awaited Asian fans to communicate with Kim Ha-neul and for Kim herself to develop herself in becoming an international star."" an official at J. One Plus was quoted as saying.

The 31-year-old actress shared her hopes as well. "I'm already excited about meeting the fans in Asia. I hope the tour will be a chance to show the power of a Korean actress."

Kim, one of the most successful actresses in Korea, has starred in numerous hit TV dramas and movies, including SBS TV series "On Air" last year and hit film "My Tutor Friend" in 2003 with fellow Hallyu star Kwon Sang-woo.

"Agent", a comedy action film co-starring Kang Ji-hwan, is about a couple who are both hiding from each other about being secret government agents.

------------------

Kim Ha-neul on Asian Tour to Promote Film

091015_p15_kim.jpg

Actress Kim Ha-neul

Korean actress Kim Ha-neul, 31, will visit Vietnam, Singapore and Hong Kong to promote her hit film ``My Girlfriend Isn't an Agent'' and also meet local fans.

``Expectations are high in Asia regarding Kim's future career. This promotion tour will give her the chance to meet her Asian fans in person, communicate with them and further carry out her plans to become an international actor,'' her agency J.One+ Entertainment said.

Kim will leave for Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi, Vietnam, Oct. 17 and attend an event for the release of her film. She will meet fans and the press to talk about her career and the movie.

On Oct. 26, Kim will fly to Singapore and Hong Kong where a tight schedule awaits her, including fan meetings, press conferences and promotional events.

``I am nervous and excited to meet my Asian fans. I hope this will be the chance to show what Korean actresses have to offer to the world,'' Kim said.

Making her debut in 1996 as a model, Kim has enjoyed steady popularity with her friendly smile and reliable acting. Her drama ``On Air'' (2008), where she starred as the stubborn and bossy top actress, was a big hit both here and abroad, while ``My Girlfriend Isn't an Agent'' managed to attract more than 4 million moviegoers.

Credits : Han Sang-hee (sanghe@koreatimes.co.kr)

Archived