[News] Drama, Movies, Actors & Actresses

Guest CindyW88

October 09, 2009

Korea’s Prolific Production of Gay Themed Cinema Continues

A soon to be released feature is about to join the ranks of Korea’s burgeoning cannon of queer cinema. Hello My Love, KIM Aaron’s debut feature, comes at an end of a decade that has seen a relative explosion of new queer cinema. In this short space of time highlighted by such films as Bungee Jumping of Their Own (2001), King and Clown (the number one box office hit of 2005) and even No Regrets (2006) the first gay film directed by and out gay director, Korean audiences have embraced this relatively taboo topics at least on a cinematic level.

Hello My Love, like a lot of other Korean gay themed films presents the thorny issue of homosexuality through the well worn romantic comedy genre with a generous amount of melodrama and acceptable, comic stereotypical characters. This typical trendy take on the familiar threesome happens when popular radio host Ho-jeong welcomes back her childhood sweet heart, Won-jae from a two year trip in France. In tow however, is Won-jae’s ‘friend Dong-wha who is in partnership with Won-jae to start up a wine restaurant inspired by the cultured delights of France. The two, both professionally and personally, never seem to leave each other. Ho-jeong’s world turns upside down however, when she spots the two getting intimate but even then that won’t stop her as she tries to ‘change’ Won-jae via a one month dating period.

Like King and Clown and the sexually charged A Frozen Flower (2008), Hello My Love looks set to take advantage of a generation who see such issues as part of a more general trend setting sexual wave rather than an investigation of sexual minorities in Korea. The film which showed at this year’s Jeonju International Film Festival opens in October 8.

Credits : David Oxenbridge (KOFIC)

• Replies 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

October 09, 2009

Hartnett and fellow Asian heartthrobs charm Pusan

2h3zddv.jpg

2r7x7yv.jpg

U.S. actor Josh Hartnett, left, and South Korean actor Lee Byung-hun pose in an opening

ceremony of the Pusan International Film Festival in Busan, South Korea, Thursday, Oct.

8, 2009. One of Asia's top film festivals opened Thursday by taking a lighthearted look at

the South Korean presidency.(AP Photo/Ahn Young-joon)

By MIN LEE (AP)

BUSAN, South Korea - Josh Hartnett charmed one of Asia's top film festivals on Friday with his knowledge of Korean food.

The 31-year-old "Pearl Harbor" star was at South Korea's Pusan International Film Festival promoting his new thriller "I Come with the Rain." Co-starring with Hartnett in the story about an American detective hired to track down a rich Chinese businessman's son are Japan's Takuya Kimura and South Korea's Lee Byung-hun. Lee recently made his Hollywood debut in "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra." Vietnamese-French filmmaker Tran Anh Hung, the 1995 Venice Film Festival winner for "Cyclo," directed.

Hartnett, whose credits also include "Black Hawk Down" and "The Black Dahila," showered his co-stars with praise at a news conference.

He recalled meeting Kimura on location in the Philippines after the Japanese actor spent the day shooting covered in mud. "I was impressed by his professionalism," Hartnett said.

Kimura, meanwhile, admitted to being star-struck when he met the American. "Wow, it's Josh Hartnett!" he said he thought, but added that Hartnett was approachable. "I felt that he has a very big heart, and he is a very nice person."

Hartnett, too, confessed to feeling a bit taken aback when he met Lee. The South Korean was in his gym clothes at the time, showing off a bulky build. "I was intimidated," Hartnett said.

But Hartnett wanted to set the record straight on a dinner he shared with Lee — at which the South Korean treated.

He joked that Lee thought he was clueless about Korean-style sushi when the American went for the cheaper sashimi.

"He's wrong. I was just being polite," he said, adding he frequently has Korean food in New York City.

Tran said the diverse cast made for a stimulating shoot because each actor brought a unique perspective.

"It was very interesting and very fun for me," he said.

Copyright © 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Source : The Associated Press

October 09, 2009

headline_01.gif

headline_02.gif

Korean Film Council (chairperson, CHO Hee-moon) participates in Asian Film Market from October 11 to 14, 2009, during the 14th Pusan International Film Festival (PIFF).

KOFIC Booth

During the market period, KOFIC will operate booth at suite 807 of Hotel Seacloud, the official venue of Asian Film Market, and conduct active marketing campaign of Korean cinema. On display are such publications as Pusan Special Edition of Korean Cinema Today (magazine), Korean Cinema and Director's Series, in addition to recently published Who's Who - Actor.

Tel : +82 51 933 1511

International Co-production Seminar

KOFIC, along with Producers' Guild of Korea and Asian Film Market, is co-organizing international co-production seminar. For two days from October 12 to 13, seminars will take place at Sicily Room of Paradise Hotel, where the participants can obtain essential information on such topical issues as film financing tool and case study on international co-production.

headline_01.jpg

AFIN General Assembly

On October 13, the general assembly of AFIN (Asian Film Industry Network) will take place at Paradise Hotel. This year's presiding nation is Japan with a total of five nations participating in the assembly, including UNIJAPAN, KOFIC, Vietnam Media Corporation, Singapore Film Commission and The Federation of National Film Association of Thailand, to discuss various co-promotion strategies for the Asian cinema.

KAFA Special Showcase at PIFF

Korean Academy of Film Arts (KAFA) commemorates 25th year of its establishment with '25th Anniversary Showcase' at Vancouver International Film Festival and PIFF, respectively. 25 Short films by KAFA graduates, including student works by leading filmmakers BONG Joon-ho, HUR Jin-ho and IM Sang-soo, will be screened in six sections at Haeundae Megabox for two days from October 12 to 13, 2009.

Source : KOFIC

2009/10/10

Korea, Japan, Thailand to create omnibus film based on Busan

BUSAN, South Korea, Oct. 10 (Yonhap) -- Top filmmakers from South Korea, Japan and Thailand will create an omnibus film based on the South Korean port city of Busan, hoping to present it to next year's Cannes film fest, producers said Saturday.

The 1.5 billion won (US$1.3 million)-project will be produced by Kim Dong-ho, executive chairman of South Korea's Pusan International Film Festival (PIFF), and joined by Korean director Jang Jun-hwan, Japan's Isao Yukisada and Thailand's Wisit Sasanatieng.

20091010135335_bodyfile.jpg

The project was announced during the ongoing Pusan film festival, one of Asia's most influential film fests, titled using the old Romanization of Busan city's name. The event runs through Oct. 16, featuring 355 films from 70 countries as the largest of the annual event to date.

"I decided to participate as a way of paying back respect to PIFF," said Japanese director Yukisada during the press conference here. "I would not be who I am today without the Korean film festival."

Yukisada has a strong fan base in South Korea as the creator of "Crying out Love, in the Center of the World (2004)" and had several of his works screened during the previous PIFF events.

"I have always dreamed about creating a film across national borders," he added. "I am currently focusing on finding a location in Busan city that is more active and lively than the city that I know. I am frankly a little burdened about portraying the dynamic aspects of the city."

As a "pan-Asia love story," the project will help Busan increase global recognition as a central location in Asia, producer Kim said.

Yukisada's story features a strange love story between a cameraman and a woman who always walks bare feet. South Korea's Jang, the creator of "Save the Green Planet (2003)," is to base his film on an ex-archery player who searches for love in a hospital. Thailand's Sasanatieng, the director of "Citizen Dog (2004)," will create a movie based on time travel.

Credits : Shin Hae-in (hayney@yna.co.kr)

Source : Yonhap News

Actress Moon's Sigh of Relief

a490np.jpg

Actress Moon Geun-young can breathe a sigh of relief as an ideologically-motivated legal battle involving Moon and her family finally came to an end Thursday.

The Seoul Central District Court handed down a ruling in favor of Jin Joong-kwon, a liberal scholar who worked for Chung-Ang University, in a suit brought to the court by ultra-conservative commentator Ji Man-won over remarks made by Jin.

Judge Seo Ki-ho said in the ruling Jin's remarks couldn't be seen as insulting, dismissing all charges against the liberal scholar. "Ji's remarks were regarded as a sort of satire on society," the judge added.

The dispute was triggered late last year when it was revealed that the 22-year-old actress, nicknamed the country's "kid sister," made a big donation.

Moon wanted to remain anonymous but Community Chest, which received her donations, revealed her identity as it was under pressure by the inquisitive media.

The Seoul-based charity group announced she had anonymously donated more than 850 million won ($730,000) over the past six years, making her one of the biggest individual givers in the country.

But the announcement put her in the middle of a rekindled ideological fight.

In an online chatroom, the 67-year-old conservative scholar Ji called the good deed

"communist-led psychological warfare" aimed at spreading communism, pointing out that the actress's late grandfather was a communist sympathizer.

Her late grandfather was a pro-communist guerrilla in the South during and after the Korean War (1950-1953).

The liberal scholar Jin attacked Ji by saying, "He is mentally ill and can get treatment free of charge, the next time the liberal government takes power." The rightist sued Jin over the comment.

The spat pitted political parties against each other. In reaction, the progressive Democratic Labor Party defended Moon, saying, "Her grandfather was a victim of our heart-wrenching history. We should not use it as a means to criticize those with different ideology."

Credits : (pss@koreatimes.co.kr)

Source : The Korea Times

Tablo, Kang to Wed on Oct. 26

vdnv2x.jpg

Hip-hop group Epik High leader Tablo and actress Kang Hye-jung will hold their

wedding ceremony at 2 p.m. Oct. 26.

This was revealed by Gill of Leessang, the famous hip-hop duo, who is close to Tablo, during a cable TV entertainment show Friday. LeeSsang is to sing their congratulatory song during the wedding ceremony.

The couple reportedly plan not to open their wedding ceremony with only a handful of close relatives and friends attending.

Last month, Tablo's agency said, ``Tablo is preparing for an October wedding. The couple will become father and mother next year."

They had planned to wed next year but Kang's pregnancy caused them to advance the wedding date.

Tablo, 29, and Kang, 27, have been dating since they first met at Epik High's Christmas concert last year.

Unlike other celebrity couples who usually keep their love stories secret, Tablo and Kang have talked about their relationship through various TV shows and press interviews.

Tablo is a leading Korean hip-hop musician, rap artist, songwriter and lyricist.

Kang made her debut as a magazine model while attending high school. She gained fame through her role as ``Mido'' in ``Oldboy,'' the critically acclaimed film directed by Park Chan-wook.

Source : The Korea Times , Chosun Ilbo

2009/10/11

Film critic produces feature of her own

BUSAN, Oct. 11 (Yonhap) -- The search for a missing sister begins with a misunderstanding, a theme that runs throughout the movie "Viewfinder (Gyeong)."

An elder sister acting as mother to her younger sibling isn't aware of the fact that her sister hasn't gone missing at all, but has in fact left home in order to escape her overbearing and overprotective ministrations. Despite the many frustrating or embarrassing situations, the film's characters remain calm and expressionless, silently mirroring events like "viewfinders" passively projecting images.

Abandoning her role as Kim So-young, famed South Korean movie critic, the renowned film expert has ventured into her first drama under the alias Kim Jeong.

"Viewfinder" is one of 10 Korean films invited to the Pusan International Film Festival's Vision section this year, designed to demonstrate the breadth and future direction of independently-produced feature films.

Kim's film was among the works "most looked forward to" by film experts at the Pusan film fest, along with "Cafe Noir," another feature debut by critic-turned-director Jung Sung-il. Both movies will explicitly demonstrate how interpreting a film affects the creative process behind it, they said.

Different "viewfinders" appear throughout the films sequences, such as when the elder sister Jeong-gyeong (Yang Eun-yong) encounters people at a highway restaurant while searching for her sibling (Lee Ho-young). Just as in modern society, where people are "projected" by something or someone while seeking connection, each individual in the scene looks blankly into their own screens -- a mobile phone, a computer or a camera.

"I wanted to reflect that aspect of contemporary life, in which people are so strongly influenced by the media that they never let a second pass by without a 'frame' to link them and project them to the rest of society," director Kim said ahead of the movie's screening.

Wandering aimlessly along the highway, the film's main characters appear lonesome and haunted by the memory of family and their deceased mother, which serves as the link between the two sisters.

"I don't have a sister so I was keen to know more about what that was like," Kim said. "Along with motherhood, sisterhood is an interesting tool to express femininity."

"These sisters have their own ways of accepting their mother's absence and grieving over her death," she added. "I wanted a link to connect them through the journey."

Currently a professor at Korea National University of Arts, Kim studied filmmaking at the Korean Academy of Film Arts and also directed "Koryu: Southern Women/South Korea (2000)," a documentary trilogy highlighting the historical role of women in South Korea, as well as "I'll be seeing Her (2002)" and "New Woman: Her First Song (2004)."

Her works have received international attention and were invited to several domestic and international film festivals including the Seoul Women's Film Festival, Yamagata International Film Festival, Pesaro Film Festival, Melbourne Film Festival and Hong Kong International Film Festival.

Kim also directed several short films including "A Runner's High (2004)."

Heartthrob Trio Takes Busan by Storm

2ikz8s0.jpg

From left, "I Come With the Rain" co-stars Takuya Kimura, Lee Byung-hun

and Josh Hartnett appear before fans Saturday at the 14th Pusan (Busan)

International Film Festival (PIFF). / Courtesy of PIFF

BUSAN ― An international trio of heartthrobs ― Hollywood's Josh Hartnett, South Korea's Lee Byung-hun and Japan's Takyua Kimura ― stormed through Asia's largest film festival this weekend.

The three actors visited the 14th Pusan (Busan) International Film Festival (PIFF) to promote the new thriller ``I Come With the Rain,'' directed by acclaimed Vietnamese-French filmmaker Tran Anh Hung. Tickets for the screening sold out in just 38 seconds ― breaking the record set by Lee Myung-se's ``M'' in 2007 ― when online sales opened.

Hartnett stars as an American detective hired to track down a rich businessman's missing son (Takuya) who has fled with the wife (played by Tran's wife, actress Tran Nu Yen Khe) of a Hong Kong mafia boss (Lee).

On Friday, chaos ensued as reporters from near and far struggled to enter the small press conference venue, which then became a battleground for frenzied coverage.

``It's my first time here and I wouldn't have been here if it were not for Mr. Lee Byung-hun. We felt very welcomed and hopefully we'll get more American actors out here next year,'' said Harnett.

Kimura said he was awed by the fervor of the festival, and his second visit to PIFF was particularly special because he was invited by Lee, a friend he felt proud of. The two met when Lee played a cameo role in Takuya's movie ``Hero.'' The Japanese actor said that he was initially hesitant about the project but such deliberation would have been unnecessary had he known that Lee and Hartnett would co-star.

Kimura said he felt star-struck when he met the 31-year-old ``Pearl Harbor'' star. Hartnett recalled meeting Kimura on the set in the Philippines after the Japanese actor spent the day shooting a scene buried in mud. ``I was impressed by his professionalism,'' said Harnett.

He said he ``was intimidated'' when he met Lee, who was at the time sporting gym clothes that revealed a muscular build. But he wanted to set the record straight about a Korean-style sushi dinner Lee treated him to, teasing that it was due to politeness rather than lack of knowledge that he chose cheaper sashimi. ``I was being polite,'' he said, adding that he enjoys Korean-style BBQ in New York.

Lee also showered his co-stars with compliments, saying that Harnett is a very down-to-earth person with a knack for making other people feel at ease and Kimura has very special charisma.

Tran, a winner of the 1995 Venice Film Festival for ``Cyclo,'' expressed great satisfaction about working with the cast. ``In the past I've only worked with actors I knew well. We spoke different languages, but it was not a problem. It was interesting and I made new discoveries as a director,'' he said.

Even though the international project was ``like a nightmare'' in the troublesome production process, he said he was able to pull through thanks to the actors. ``The humanity that emerges from an actor is most important in casting,'' he said.

Kimura, meanwhile, said the film is unique in that it stimulates not only sight and sound but also taste and touch.

On Saturday, the men met fans in Open Talk, to discuss the movie and answer questions. Hordes of fans waited by the Haeundae Beach outdoor stage hours prior to the start of the 1 p.m. event. Many young women were seen camping out with sleeping bags since the night before.

``I Come With the Rain'' opens in theaters nationwide Oct. 15.

Credits : Lee Hyo-won, Staff Reporter (hyowlee@koreatimes.co.kr)

TV Actress Song Ties Knot With 5-Year Younger Dentist

2elt352.jpg

TV actress Song Hee-ah, 30, tied the knot with a 25-year-old Korean dentist in the United States in southern Seoul Sunday evening.

The bridegroom, identified only with the family name Shin, is a school junior of Ahn Sang-hoon, the husband of TV celebrity Suh Min-jung. The couple held the wedding ceremony at Billade Vailley Wedding Hall in Nonhyon-dong at 6:30 p.m.

They held an engagement ceremony last January after dating for several years.

“I think we met as best friends, a couple and family to each other. While loving each other, we hope to share this love with others,” Song said when she released a photo of her alongside her man in July. “My would-be husband respects me and has a special interest in my job and study as much as his job,” she said. “I plan to work at a Korean run broadcasting station, while living in the United States, after marriage. When requested to work in Korea, I will shuttle between the two countries.”

She also said that she plans to study further in counseling at a graduate school in the United States. “I think counseling is my second job after acting.”

Song won the bronze and special award in the Top Actors and Actresses Contest organized by SBS in 1997. She has appeared in movie “One Day” (2000) and soap opera “Condition of Queen” (2005) on SBS, as well as “Forgiveness” (2004) on KBS 2TV. She played Subin, sister of Chung Gyo-bin (Byon Woo-min), on the SBS hit soap opera “Temptation of Wife” (2008-09) in the first half of the year.

Credits : (mook@koreatimes.co.kr)

Quartet of dramas revamps fall line-up

200910110020.jpg

The latest fall line-up adds fuel to this season's ratings race.

KBS' "IRIS" -- an espionage thriller of cinematic proportions -- stands out from the crowd. Backed by an all-star cast, three scriptwriters and two directors, the much-talked-about series promises to live up to its hype and nab top notch ratings when it starts it 20-episode run on Wednesday.

Starting tonight, SBS' much-hyped "Angel's Temptation" may relive the success of its scriptwriter's previous blockbuster "Cruel Temptation" a.k.a. "Temptation of Wife." A new timeslot -- it airs at 8:50 p.m. instead of 10 p.m. -- enables it to sidestep the formidable MBC Monday and Tuesday night series, "The Great Queen Seondeok."

This Saturday, both KBS and MBC revamped their weekend line-up with two new series. KBS' "Yeolhyeol Jangsaggun" charts the highly ambitious escapades of a car salesman. MBC's "Seeking Love" orchestrates an unlikely romance between a lawyer and a doctor.

Amongst the new kids on the block, "IRIS" is the one to watch out for.

A press conference last week -- "IRIS" actor Lee Byung-hun says it's their third -- unveiled a near 50-minute preview of a complex and multi-layered take on the world of espionage that incorporated three overseas filming locations (China, Hungary, Japan) and high stakes action.

Set up against the classic frame of tense relations between North and South Korea, two groups of agents -- one represents the South and the other the North -- get entangled into the warped politics of a secret organization called IRIS.

A talented South Korean agent, played by Lee Byung-hun, becomes a pawn in a greater game for power that involves his frenemy-and-fellow agent, the love of his life, a North Korean spy who defects for him and a ruthless assassin who is hot on his trail.

"Love Story in Harvard" sweetheart Kim Tae-hee plays his love interest. "Marrying the Mafia" star Jung Joon-ho plays the frenemy agent. "Sikgaek" actress Kim So-yeon channels "Swiri" as a North Korean spy who falls for someone from the other side. And K-pop icon Choi Seung-hyun a.k.a. T.O.P of boy band BIGBANG showcases his sniper skills as a skilled assassin.

At the press conference, "G.I. Joe" actor Lee revealed his take on his role as NSS agent Kim Hyun-jun: "In the drama, there are set circumstances. There are around two extreme situations. So, what kind of changes does my character undergo because of these situations?"

"There is a lot of practical action," Lee fielded a question about the type of action to expect from "IRIS." "I think you will be able to see a lot of action that is similar to that of a Bond series."

Espionage, drastic events and gritty action, however, does mean that "IRIS" should be pigeonholed as a dark and heavy piece. According to co-star Jung Joon-ho, the series is not entirely devoid of humor.

"We deliberately tried to go a bit light and fun," said Jung, who added that in the scenes where he and Lee are in training, they did a bit of comedic ad-libbing.

The bantering between co-stars Lee and Kim Tae-hee also merited a few laughs during the preview screening last week. A scene where Kim's character, NSS profiler Choi Seung-hee, outdrinks Lee's Kim Hyun-jun, in particular, elicited a positive reaction from the audience.

"I think the charm of my character is that even though she is an agent, she still pouts and gets into childish love fights," Kim Tae-hee said after revealing that during a close-up shot of Lee in the drinking scene, real soju was accidently imbibed.

While the blossoming romance between Kim's and Lee's characters promises to add some spice to the series, it is the interplay between agents and the covert operation orchestrated by IRIS that promises to be the centerpiece of the upcoming series.

Meanwhile, SBS' new Monday and Tuesday night series is bringing back some good old-fashioned revenge with "Angel's Temptation."

Oft-referred to as a male version of scriptwriter Kim Soon-ok's "Cruel Temptation," Kim's latest work incorporates a near fatal car accident as the impetus behind the hero's transformation from sweet loving husband (initially played by "My Too Perfect Sons" actor Han Sang-jin) into a vindictive Monte Cristo type (played by "Brilliant Legacy" heartthrob Bae Soo-bin).

The use of two actors to portray one hero -- "Cruel Temptation" had one actress play the pre- and post-accident heroine -- and a timeslot that enables it to avoid direct competition with "The Great Queen Seondeok" may be enough to ensure the series a steady run.

With the highly successful KBS series "My Too Perfect Sons" now over, MBC's latest weekend series "Seeking Love" can compete for the top weekend ratings spot. Headed by former girl group S.E.S member-turned-actress Eugene, "Seeking Love," which is based on a romance novel, aired its first episode on Saturday.

Playing a Korean immigrant living in Australia who announces that she wants to marry her Caucasian boyfriend, Eugene revealed that her character is consequently shuttled off to Korea at a press conference last week.

"Then she meets a Korean guy and tries to avoid having to marry him," Eugene added.

"Terroir" actor Ki Tae-young will be playing the doctor who is set up with Eugene's lawyer.

In a less romantic vein, KBS' new weekend series "Yeolhyeol Jangsaggun" charts a car dealership employee's struggle for success. "East of Eden" actor Park Hae-jin heads a cast that includes "Cain and Abel" actress Chae Jung-an and "My Wife is a Superwoman" actor Choi Cheol-ho.

"IRIS" airs on Wednesday night on KBS 2 TV at 9:55 p.m.

"Angel's Temptation" airs tonight on SBS at 8:50 p.m.

"Seeking Love" airs on Saturdays and Sundays on MBC at 7:55 p.m.

"Yeolhyeol Jangsaggun" airs on Saturdays at 10:15 p.m. and Sundays at 10:25 p.m. on KBS 2 TV.

Credits : Jean Oh (oh_jean@heraldm.com)

Source : The Korea Herald

2009/10/12

S. Korean movie 'Night and Day' to be released in Japan

SEOUL, Oct. 12 (Yonhap) -- "Night and Day," the eighth feature by internationally renowned South Korean director Hong Sang-soo, will be released in Japan this week, a Tokyo distributor said Monday.

The movie, featuring an artist who meets his ex-girl friend and other bizarre women in Paris, was invited to the New York Film Festival and the Berlin International Film Festival last year, as one of the most light and humorous creations of Hong.

The movie will be released in Tokyo Oct. 17 under the Japanese title "Aventure in Paris," and hit theaters in other Japanese cities later this month, Japan's Bitters End said.

Hong, 49, won two international honors with his debut "The Day a Pig Fell into the Well" and is considered one of the most widely recognized South Korean directors in the global film society. Hong served as a jury member for the Locarno International Film Festival this year.

Credits : hayney@yna.co.kr

Hartnett says would like to act with Lee Young-ae

2009101212203756591_1.jpg

Hollywood actor Josh Hartnett [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

Hollywood heartthrob Josh Hartnett said he would like to try working with Lee Young-ae if given the chance to act with a South Korean actress.

The 31-year-old heartthrob made the remark during a press conference on Friday for his thriller invited to show at the Gala Presentation category of the 14th Pusan International Film Festival (PIFF).

He starred in the thriller helmed by Vietnamese-French filmmaker Tran Anh Hung, 1995 Venice Film Festival winner for "Cyclo", set for release on October 15.

Below are responses from the press conference by the "Pearl Harbor" star.

2009101212203756591_2.jpg

Q: We understand that this is your first time to Korea. How does it feel attending the PIFF?

Josh Hartnett: First of all, I'm thankful to the organizers who invited me here. I know that this is the 14th year and I'm happy to be here. This is my first time to Pusan and I came because Lee Byung-hun invited me. So I want to thank him again also. I am thankful that so many of you welcomed me so warmly. I hope more actors will be able to join in next year.

Q: What was the first encounter between you three like?

Hartnett: I met Takuya Kimura for the first time on location in the Philippines and I didn't recognize him because he had been shooting for the past 14 hours covered in in mud. I almost mistook him as a strange person. (laugh) But I was impressed by his professionalism. My first meeting with Lee Byung-hun was on set too. He came on set at night with his manager in his gym clothes and sneakers and I saw his muscles and thought 'Did he just come back from working or is he on his way?' I was a bit intimidated too. (laugh)

Q: There are many beautiful actresses in Korea. Is there anyone you would want to act with by any chance?

Hartnett: I actually don't know that many Korean movies but I watched "Sympathy for Lady Vengeance" a few years ago. The film left a very strong impression on me and actress Lee Young-ae's acting was great. I would want to try working with her.

Q: Is there any Korean food you like in particular?

Hartnett: Lee Byung-hun took me to a Korean-style sushi restaurant last night. He thought I was clueless and keeps saying I like the cheaper sashimi. He's wrong. I was just being polite. It seemed Lee's chopsticks were going to the more expensive sashimi so I ate other ones on purpose. (laugh) I live in New York so I usually eat a lot of Korean food. Korean-style barbeque too.

Q: Did you by any chance last night, try eating live octopus like they do in the movie "Old Boy"?

Hartnett: I couldn't last night but I think they have it prepared behind stage. I'll try it after the press conference (laugh).

2009101212203756591_3.jpg

Editor : Lee Ji-Hye seven@10asia.co.kr

Photographer : Chae ki-won ten@10asia.co.kr

Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr

<ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved>

Source : Asia Economic Daily

Lee to do best to impress "Rain" co-stars

2009101211425445552_1.jpg

South Korean actor Lee Byung-hun [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

Korean actor Lee Byung-hun said he will do his best to leave a good impression of South Korea on Hollywood actor Josh Hartnett and Japanese actor Takuya Kimura -- co-stars of their film "I Come with the Rain".

The 39-year-old actor made the remark on Friday during a press conference for their film "Rain" officially selected to show at the Gala Presentation category of the 14th Pusan International Film Festival (PIFF).

The pic, helmed by Vietnamese-French filmmaker Tran Anh Hung, the 1995 Venice Film Festival winner for "Cyclo" is set for release on October 15.

Below are responses from the press conference by Lee, who tended to his visitors Hartnett and Kimura as if he was their older brother.

2009101211425445552_2.jpg

From left, Josh Hartnett, Lee Byung-hun and Takuya Kimura. [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

Q: How do you feel coming to this year's PIFF?

2009101211425445552_5.jpg

From left, Josh Hartnett, Lee Byung-hun and

Takuya Kimura. [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

Lee Byung-hun (Lee): The PIFF is a place where South Korean actors come to enjoy themselves after working hard on their films. But I'm quite pressured this time because I came to the fest as a host since I invited two friends from overseas. I feel the obligation to give them a really good impression. So I don't think I'll be enjoying a lot of the fun parties or events at this year's PIFF. I'll try my best, till the very end, to leave a good impression on them about Korea.

Q: What was the first meeting between you three like?

2009101211425445552_6.jpg

From left, actors Josh Harnett and Lee Byung-

hun. [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

Lee: Josh Hartnett said I looked like an athlete when he first saw me but there's a reason I appeared like that. At the time I was going back and forth between Hong Kong and China to shoot "The Good, the Bad, the Weird" and "Rain". I had to go on a long flight from China from shooting "Good" ahead of my first meeting with Josh Hartnett so I had to be in comfortable clothes. So I was in those clothes because I went right to the set after arriving there. (laugh) Josh Hartnett was very friendly to me on our first encounter so I thought 'Why is he being so friendly?' but it turned out he had been watching my film "A Bittersweet Life". So I think he was happy to see someone he had just been watching on screen in real life. (laugh) I met Takuya Kimura while making a cameo appearance on "Hero". I thought he would be a very funny person before I got to meet him. But in person, he turned out to be charismatic. He seemed different from how I had seen him on TV. He has dual sides of attractiveness to him.

Editor : Lee Ji-Hye seven@10asia.co.kr

Photographer : Chae ki-won ten@10asia.co.kr

Kim Wins Best Actress Award at Spain Fest

2qwlo5f.jpg

Kim Ok-bin

Actress Kim Ok-bin has won the best actress prize, along with her Spanish contemporary Elena Anaya, at the 42nd Sitges International Film Festival in Spain for her starring role in ``Thirst,'' directed by Park Chan-wook.

The festival's secretariat announced Sunday that Kim, 23, had been selected as the best actress along with Anaya who starred in ``Hierro.''

In 2005, actress Lee Young-ae won the award for her role in ``Sympathy for Lady Vengeance.''

Kim made her debut in an online beauty contest hosted by Internet portal Naver in 2004. She was cast for ``Voice'' in 2005 and ``The Accidental Gangster and the Mistaken Courtesan'' in 2008.

The Sitges film festival, founded in 1967, takes place in early October every year in the Catalonian coastal town of Sitges, some 40 kilometers south of Barcelona, and specializes in fantasy films.

In ``Thirst,'' Kim plays the role of Tae-ju, who is treated coldly by her sick husband and mother-in-law, and falls in love with Sang-hyun, a devoted priest who volunteers to be part of a medical experiment, receiving a blood transfusion.

Meanwhile, British director Duncan Jones, the son of rock legend David Bowie, won several prizes at this year's Sitges film festival for the science-fiction thriller ``Moon,'' his first feature film.

The film, starring American actor Sam Rockwell as an astronaut living alone in a Moon base, won the prizes for best film, best screenplay and best actor.

Guest mimerita

The Hollywood Reporter

Won Bin becomes 'This Man' in 2010

'Mother' star plays dark hero in upcoming blockbuster

By Patrick Frater

Oct 10, 2009, 12:20 PM ET

BUSAN -- Won Bin, one of Korea's elite leading men, will next star in United Pictures' "This Man," an action drama set to be a summer 2010 blockbuster.

The $4 million film, now in pre-production, sets Won as a man with a dark past in a desperate quest to save a young girl who is his only friend. Producers Opus Pictures are currently considering a newcomer for the role.

The film is written and scripted by Lee Jeong-beom whose debut effort 2006's crime drama "Cruel Winter Blues" was a critical success. Lee said the film will have a look and feel somewhere between "Leon" and the Bourne series.

Production is scheduled to get underway in December with delivery for summer next year. International sales are handled by United Pictures.

Won was star of the super-hit "Taegukgi" and Bong Joon-ho's Cannes film "Mother."

Producer Lee Tae-hun is also in Pusan attending the PPP with Bong's project "La Transperceneige."

Source: www.hollywoodreporter.com

"Sons" see triumphant end over "Queen"

2009101209511637998_1.jpg

KBS drama "My Too Perfect Sons" [KBS]

Television series "My Too Perfect Sons" made its final sprint over the weekend to take the top spot on TV ratings charts in its last week of showing.

The KBS2 drama scored an average 43.8 percent viewership rating for the week of October 5, compared to MBC's historical drama "Queen Seon-deok" with a 39.5 percent rating, according to statistics released by TNS Media Korea on Monday.

"Queen" had reclaimed its place atop the TV chart the previous week after giving way to "Sons" for the first time the week of September 21.

KBS's daily soap "Jolly Widows" and SBS's "I Love You Ten Million Times" trailed behind with a 21.4 and 19.2 percent, respectively.

In the non-drama category, KBS2 TV's "Happy Sunday" took No. 1 with a 23.3 viewership rating while the FIFA U-20 World Cup match between South Korea and Ghana came in second at 21.8 percent. Comedy show "Gag Concert"(KBS2)followed with a 21.2 percent rating.

Reporter : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr

<ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved>

"Heaven" tops box office for third week

2009101210360150091_1.jpg

Current No. 1 movie "Closer to Heaven" [Zip Cinema]

Korean film "Closer to Heaven", starring Kim Myung-min and Ha Ji-won, remained the No. 1 movie in Korea for the third consecutive week.

"Heaven" continued its runs atop the box office attracting 179,293 viewers over the weekend of October 9-11, according to estimates released by Korea Box Office Information System (KOBIS) on Monday. The film has accumulated over 1.8 million viewers since its opening on September 24.

Historical pic "The Sword with No Name", starring Cho Seung-woo and Su-ae, followed in second place with 160,143 viewers over the same period. The film's total number of viewers was counted at 1.4 million.

New film "Where is Jeong Seung-Pil", starring Lee Beom-su, came in third with 148,188 viewers over the weekend while Bruce Willis vehicle "Surrogates" trailed behind with 130,254 viewers.

"A Good Rain Knows", starring Korean actor Jung Woo-sung and Chinese actress Gao Yuan Yuan, opened at No. 5 with 115,734 viewers.

Guest mimerita

Screen International

Won Bin is the Man for United Pictures

11 October, 2009 | By Liz Shackleton

Korean actor Won Bin, who recently starred in Bong Joon-ho's Mother, has been cast as the lead in action drama This Man (working title), which is being sold internationally by United Pictures.

Produced by Lee Tae-hun for Opus Pictures, the film is the second feature from director Lee Jeong-beom whose debut Cruel Winter Blues was critically acclaimed.

Won plays a man with a dark past attempting to save a young girl who is his only friend. Production is scheduled to start in December for tentative release in summer 2010.

Producer Lee Tae-hun is attending this year's Pusan Promotion Project with Bong Joon-ho's new project, Le Transperceneige, which he is producing with Park Chan-wook.

Also at Pusan's Asian Film Market, United Pictures is screening Yun Jae-yeon's horror fantasy Yoga, which was released in Korea this summer, and Park Jin-pyo's melodrama Closer To Heaven, which is currently number one at the Korean box office.

The company is also introducing Lovers Vanished, the second feature from Cho Chang-ho (The Peter Pan Formula), which is in post-production, and oriental action fantasy Woochi, drected by Choi Dong-hoon (Tazza: The High Rollers).

Source: www.screendaily.com

-----------------------

Variety, Oct 11, 2009

Won Bin set for 'Man'

Pic eyes summer 2010 release date

By HAN SUNHEE

Koreanwave star Won Bin ("Mother") has been cast in "This Man," an action drama produced by Lee Tae-hun of United Pictures.

Helmed by Lee Jeong-beom, pic tells a story of a man with a dark past struggling to save a young girl.

International sales will be handled by United Pictures.

At this year's Asian Film Market, United Pictures presents "Lovers Vanished", a melodrama by Park Jin-pyo ("You Are My Sunshine") which currently dominated the boxoffice in two consecutive weeks.

"This Man" is set to shoot in December, eyeing a summer 2010 release date.

Source: Variety

2009/10/12

S. Korean starlet awarded best actress at Spain fest

SEOUL, Oct. 12 (Yonhap) -- Emerging South Korean actress Kim Ok-bin was given the best actress award at Spain's Sitges International Film Festival for her role in "Thirst," sharing the honor with a Spanish colleague, the event's Web site said Monday.

Kim, who played an impressive leading role in the recent creation by Park Chan-wook, which won the Jury Award at Cannes, will receive the award with Elena Anaya of Spain, according to the Web site.

20091012171759_bodyfile.jpg

Kim Ok-bin(L), Park Chan-wook®

Kim, 23, is the second South Korean actress to be named best actress by the film fest following Lee Young-ae, who won the award in 2005 for her role in "Sympathy for Lady Vengeance," another creation by director Park.

The Sitges film festival, founded in 1967, is considered one of the world's three iconic fantasy film events along with Portugal's FantasPorto and Belgium's Brussels film fest. The event opens in early October every year in the Catalonian coastal town of Sitges, some 40km south of Barcelona.

Kim made her debut in 2004 through an on-line beauty contest, a popular trend in South Korea, and has already built a reputation as an actress of strong character.

Making a screen debut in 2005 with "Voice," Kim played the role of Tae-ju in "Thirst," a bored and doleful housewife who lures a devout priest to take part in her deadly game.

Also at Sitges, British director Duncan Jones, son of rock legend David Bowie, won several prizes for the science-fiction thriller "Moon," his first feature film.

The film, starring American actor Sam Rockwell as an astronaut living alone in a Moon base, won the prizes for best film, best screenplay and best actor.

----------------------------

Kim Ok-vin wins Best Actress at Spain film fest

2009101217090729603_2.jpg

Korean actress Kim Ok-bin [Asia Economic Daily]

Korean actress Kim Ok-vin has won an award for Best Actress at a film festival in Spain.

Kim and Spanish actress Elena Anaya of "Hierro" were announced as winners for the best actress prize at the 42nd Sitges International Film Festival on Sunday, a European film fest which specializes in fantasy genre films, according to its official website.

The actress starred as a lonely housewife who falls in love with a vampire in the controversial "Thirst", helmed by critically acclaimed director Park Chan-wook and co-starring Song Kang-ho.

Korean actress Lee Young-ae also won the same award in 2005 for her role in ``Sympathy for Lady Vengeance", also directed by Park.

Kim, who was first discovered in 2004 in an Internet beauty contest, had appeared in several films and TV dramas before getting her breakthrough role in "Thirst", which won the Jury Prize at Cannes earlier this year.

Source : Asia10

2009-10-12

Park Rejected Thrice to Win Drama Role

[TV Report] On KBS2's "Happy Together-Season 3," actor Park Hae-jin talked about how he secured the lead role for the new KBS drama "Hot Blood" which succeeds the long-running historical series "The Iron Empress - Special." The four cast members of the new drama--Park, Choi Cheol-ho, Chae Jung-an, Jo Yun-hee--were guests on the Happy Together episode that aired Thursday.

231_613_l.jpg

Based on the comic series by Park In-gwon, Hot Blood will be a witty drama version of the story of car salesman "Ha-ryu," covering his career, love and life.

Park, playing Ha-ryu, takes up a commanding portion in the drama, appearing in over half of all scenes.

This is his second lead drama role. But it came with painful effort and many rejections. He met three times with the director, who would always promise he would give Park a call.

A week after the meetings, Park finally received the call of approval. He said, "My casting was rather sudden, so I feel a lot of pressure." Chae then cut in, saying, "I told the director that I won't do the role if it were not opposite Park. That's how Park got the role," to which everyone laughed.

Hot Blood aired its first episode Saturday at 10:15 p.m.

Internet broadcast media for "Guide & Review," TV Report

Email reports to pi@pimedia.co.kr <Copyright ⓒ Pimedia TV Report>

Writer: TV Report

Copyright ⓒ KBS & KBSi

Source : KBS Global

Archived