Universities/Colleges in the Philippines

Guest driftwood023

For all those who read the page before this... I finally got accepted into UP!

UP is not all THAT at all. I was actually quite dissappointed.

I had been dreaming of studying in UP since 6th grade, but fortunately, perhaps it was a blessing in disguise which took me 4 years to figure out, I only passed passed USTET.

Back then I had no school spirit whatsoever, not until 2nd semester, 3rd year. Even though it was the most stressful year(thesis), it was then that I discovered how to be happy.

UST has everything! Cheap food EVERYWHERE, CHEAP photocopy, print, computer shops EVERYWHERE, hospital, and most of all everything is walking distance. Everything is just so convenient in UST, plus they're renovating the whole campus for 2011-400 hundred years, so it's quite beautiful especially at night.

As for the quality and standard of education, I see no difference between the teaching skills of the professors I have in UP now and those I had in UST. At the end of it all, it's really not the school.

What does UP have?...the Arcade? Plus, the photocopy is not cheap at all?! what is up with that?

Don't get me wrong; I'm very happy to have passed UP, it's my dream school after all.

I was just a little disappointed because I expected too much.

This thread hasn't been updated in a long time! D;

I'm planning to go to Ateneo - Manila or DLSU - Saint Benilde. I am currently living in the states. I would like to know how hard it is to get in? I heard Ateneo will accept my S.A.T. scores. My scores aren't really that high, but supposedly UP will automatically accept you if you get a 1200, without the writing portion? If that's so, then i guess i don't really need a high S.A.T score? Also, DLSU won't accept S.A.T scores? So does that mean i have to go there to take the test? Ehh, I'll just give up on DLSU... T____T;

I'm trying to major in Graphic or Communication design with a minor in Psychology. Do ya'll know any good schools with that major? Would you have to take pre-requisites like in the U.S.?

How expensive is Ateneo? Because of the exchange rate, i get alot of costs knocked off.. but how bad is it?

Also, age differences. I'm currently 17 and i'm kinda nervous because supposedly in the Philippines i'm supposed to be a 2-3rd year? T______T; I feel so old!

As for you, yes you're correct, we usually enter college at 16, but that is if the high school we went to does not offer 7th grade. I'm sure there will be a couple of you guys in class who are just a year or two older than the rest. It's not really a big deal. Prepare to be surprised though because once or twice, you'll encounter a 14 year old college freshman.

I only know that La Salle offers double major, so you can do that major-minor thing. I'm not sure for Ateneo....I really wonder where people get their readings photocopied cheap without having to go all the way to Katipunan....hmmm.

Not much help, but Good luck and have fun here in the Philippines.

Don't waste your college life, join school activities or whatever.

Don't join those student activist groups. The hot weather here is not good for demonstrations.

Only join when:

1. People are trying to kick the president out of her seat(only because it's exciting, plus you'll get to be part of history, unlike those small gatherings that are always gone unnoticed.)

2. Some famous person died (e.g CORY)- feel the Filipino pride once in a while.

3. There's a noise barrage( it's fun when cars honk at you!)

Other than the 3 I've mentioned, unless you want to suffer from heat stroke, then just follow what I said.

That's it!

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for the information! My cousin just told me not to go to school in Quezon because it's not a safe place to live compared to makati. It's going to be really hard to find a school in the manila area that has a Graphic/Communication Design major. I'm not certain but it said that UP - Manila does not have that major. Is there any other good schools located in the manila area? D;

Thank you for the information! My cousin just told me not to go to school in Quezon because it's not a safe place to live compared to makati. It's going to be really hard to find a school in the manila area that has a Graphic/Communication Design major. I'm not certain but it said that UP - Manila does not have that major. Is there any other good schools located in the manila area? D;

Are you also snackbox? And do you mean Quezon as in the province or the city?

Where exactly in Makati is your cousin referring to? Last I heard it's not really an affordable lodging destination for students. LMAO.

I don't think UP Manila offers liberal arts, fine arts courses. They have Physical Therapy, speech pathology, dentistry...etc, but no arts courses. My sister went there..

I know I said "it'snot the school" blah blah, but be careful too, don't just go to any school in the manila area because some Universities are :ph34r:

Well, I'm not trying to promote UST, but aside from Nursing, we're also "sikat" in the arts department and it's in Manila! It's called CFAD, College of Fine Arts and Design. Their building is really nice and sorta new.

I think part of the whole college experience is being able to go to a school with nice facilities and a beautiful campus. I know for sure that aside from UST, La Salle has both except that the campus is really tiny. Ateneo is quite beautiful too but I find it so inconveniently placed like UP.

If you want to go to a school in the Manila area, those are the only school that I recommend, La Salle and UST.

Guest snackbox

Oh yes i'm both snackbox and Moofia, because my brother has an account and i forgot to sign in.

Well i was going to apply for DLSU-CSB, but they don't accept s.a.t. scores in lieu of the entrance exam. It would make my life so much easier if they did, because its almost impossible for me to go take it. I'm thinking of just applying to ADMU. They have information technology as a major choice, and i'm pretty interested. I know Makati isn't a "student" housing area, but my mom's been wanting to buy a condo there for some time now. I'll just be living with my cousin, who is going to be my nanny. xD The only bad thing about is that i'll have to take the MRT to get there. Which is so tiring. Do you know if it's harder to get into ADMU, if your a foreign student?

I've pretty much finished my application. I finished my personal essay, and all i need is to get recommendations from my school teachers. I was just wondering if you know when school terms begin? Supposedly the next Application Deadline is January 15th. What school term is that for? June 15th? Also, there are 3 different semesters? When are deadline usually for the term around August - November? Ahh, Philippine Schooling.

Thank you so much for helping me out! I'm really nervous about this whole experience.

Guest snackbox

I actually just changed my mind. I'm thinking of applying to DLSU - CSB. It's SDA campus is breath-taking! Plus its closer to the area where my cousin wants to live.

Does anyone know about deadlines? I mean, is there only one a year? For example Ateneo's is January 15 but is that for the next semester or for all 3? 2?

I actually just changed my mind. I'm thinking of applying to DLSU - CSB. It's SDA campus is breath-taking! Plus its closer to the area where my cousin wants to live.

Does anyone know about deadlines? I mean, is there only one a year? For example Ateneo's is January 15 but is that for the next semester or for all 3? 2?

I'm glad you've finally decided on a school!

I found this on google.

"PER YEAR"

1.University of Asia & the Pacific 200,000/year

2.De La Salle-College of Saint Benilde 198,000/year= per sem 48-70k/trisem

3.De La Salle University-Manila 189,000/year = per sem 49-60k/trisem

4.Mapua Institute of Technology 160,000/year = per sem 32k/quarterm

5.Ateneo de Manila University 130,000/year

6.Assumption College-Makati 110,000/year

7.Asia Pacific College 100,000/year

8.St. Scholastica's Collgege 90,000/year

9.San Beda College 86,000/year

10.University of Santo Tomas 79,000/year

Actually if you go to the benilde website, they'll be able to answer your questions.

http://www.dls-csb.edu.ph/default.asp?sect...amp;what=100058

Also, here's an interesting forum for St. Benilde.

http://www.pinoyexchange.com/forums/forumd...&order=desc

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Are they accepting transferee students at UST? because I'm planning to transfer there and take up Fine Arts major in Advertising Arts. :(

Guest distorted-daytime

Deadline is Feb. 17

And don't worry about being old, I entered college at 17 and turned 18 on my freshman year. Most of the students are younger than me, but there are also students who enter the college at 20+.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i'm taking up Information and Communications Technology in San Beda College - Mendiola. :D

Animo San Beda.

I'm glad you've finally decided on a school!

I found this on google.

"PER YEAR"

1.University of Asia & the Pacific 200,000/year

2.De La Salle-College of Saint Benilde 198,000/year= per sem 48-70k/trisem

3.De La Salle University-Manila 189,000/year = per sem 49-60k/trisem

4.Mapua Institute of Technology 160,000/year = per sem 32k/quarterm

5.Ateneo de Manila University 130,000/year

6.Assumption College-Makati 110,000/year

7.Asia Pacific College 100,000/year

8.St. Scholastica's Collgege 90,000/year

9.San Beda College 86,000/year

10.University of Santo Tomas 79,000/year

Actually if you go to the benilde website, they'll be able to answer your questions.

http://www.dls-csb.edu.ph/default.asp?sect...amp;what=100058

Also, here's an interesting forum for St. Benilde.

http://www.pinoyexchange.com/forums/forumd...&order=desc

sir i don't think this is accurate.

in San Beda, tuition is like 105,+++ per year. :]

• 1 month later...
Guest Chae_Rin

I'm taking Fine Arts Major in Advertising Arts at FEU.

at first I was excited to have this course but then my mind change instead I want to take I.T course. I heard that I.T course is in demand.

I don't know what Jobs opportunities for Advertising Arts, does anyone know?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest jellie_kookie

ooh, awesome ;)

College students ^^

I'm Filipina (currently in Dubai) and am not really thinking about going to Philippines for college. I still have a few more years to decide where to go for uni, soo...If I do go to the Philippines for uni I'm gonna apply for Ateneo or UST.

I just came here to see what your experiences in college are like. ;)

Hope you guys don't mind. ^^

Ang daming taga LaSalle (There's so many people from LaSalle)

cpopbaby19 told me to post this here so I can get more replies and information. By the way, THANK YOU cpopbaby19 :)

Hey guys,

I need help regarding the University of the Philippines' UPCAT exam. My senior year in high school will start next month but the UPCAT exam is on August. Is the test really that early? or am I supposed to take the next year's UPCAT?

(And do you know where I can review here in Pampanga?)

Students from UP, please help me

- Trixia.

Guest Moon_

cpopbaby19 told me to post this here so I can get more replies and information. By the way, THANK YOU cpopbaby19 :)

Hey guys,

I need help regarding the University of the Philippines' UPCAT exam. My senior year in high school will start next month but the UPCAT exam is on August. Is the test really that early? or am I supposed to take the next year's UPCAT?

(And do you know where I can review here in Pampanga?)

Students from UP, please help me

- Trixia.

Yes it is that early. You don't actually need to review, well you can but that would be a waste of time and money, in my opinion.

Guest cpopbaby19

^well, if you won't take it seriously then it is truly a waste of money. I tried MSA and did incredibly at school but I failed UPCAT. lol Oh well, that's life. But hey look, I have a degree now so.. :rollseyes: :P

Archived