少女時代 Girls' Generation / SNSD (소녀시대) Official Thread [Ver.3] GIRLS 6ENERAT10N | HYO 4th Single "Dessert"

kimlees

Guest ice_soshi

I think... sales number speaks for itself... don't worry about ranking. I think they're doing well as a foreign group. O_o... 

Imho, SM don't need them to be #1 in Japan... and its not realistic to expect them to outsell the Japan's own groups like Arashi/Glay/AKB48 not to mention even more veteran ones like SMAP/V6 etc. ... These are incredibly established artistes with huge amount of fans and recognition from japanese public. The competition is on a different level compared to korea. 

Through general readings on japanese websites, i get the feeling that generally the influx of kpop groups is seen as a fad at the moment. However, if there is enough fans convinced and they continue to support the girls, in a longer run the pool can grow. It may take a while (or a short while...) but its a new road and a new marketing strategy so... we will have to see the results after a few months.

SM expects big from the girls but it could be part of advertising methods. So far I've yet to see them market any group they hold overseas as anything but Asia's No.1 ^^;;;; Its business common sense.

Anyway, i got my discs~ got yuri as the random card~ 

and love taeng for being so kind... thanks for the fan acct share

edit:

About UMJ/SM is half-assing the promotions... base on what are you stating this on?

For a new foreign group, the amount of adverts and coverage that was made for the girls is pretty huge... Billboards, HMV store front LCD screens, posters in cafes, posters in train stations etc.. advertising on this scale is not cheap and nowhere near 'half-richard simmons'.

As for tv shows and such, wait 2 months before passing judgement.

@labelle 

Mm.. 1 possible reason is that there's already alot of requests from organisers from various countries for SNSD. especially SEA where they're huge. Some of these requests are not sudden and could be from early in the year. It is possible that SM took these into consideration and thus did not want SNSD to stay in Japan too long. 

Another line of thought... didn't they plan SMTown as early as last year? then there is also the possibility that SM did not even wanted the girls to go Japan until UMJ offered. (i read that it was UMJ that approached SM not the other way round ^^ )

just some thoughts.. 

Guest TheLaughingMan

are they trying to kill snsd? i already so sad thinking how the girls forced themselves not to sleep to adjust the korea-japan time ugh -_-

there is no time difference between japan and korea. but the time needed to travel must be really tiring ~__~ just riding a bus for 2 hours is already killing me xD

^

yeah hahaha i know there's no different time between korea-japan XD just saying lol XD

IKR even in faster ride like motorcycle it's tiring lol

when SM said they will have parallel activity

it does sounds great backthen since we dont want to miss snsd in korea

but now looking at how the girls doing, i suddenly dont like the idea @_@

because they're not only going back forth korea-japan but also other country and the short time wew

they should just focus in 1 country at a time

as for the promotion in japan let's just see how it will go till the end of this year

from what SM said they expected THAT MUCH from snsd even w/o them promoting the girls heavily

so let's just wait and see then

V yep it's "i know right" hehe ^^

@eyeless Hi ~Are you a new sone because i have never seen you here before.

Anyway i don't think UMJ is at fault since SNSD has SMTOWN last week and SMTOWN next week.They probably will focus more on Japan after their SmTown concert/ their own ITNW concert.

11.1k is just what most of us expected.

I think we Sones need to revert back to rookie mentality .It is time to become rookie fans once again .

We enjoy seeing SNSD climbing up the ladder slowly as it makes the fruit of labour sweeter.

PS:Anyway what is IKR??Is it "I know right"?

Guest eyeless201

About UMJ/SM is half-assing the promotions... base on what are you stating this on?

I always interested in K-Pop group release in Japan. So I followed Kara [mister] release as well. Both of them are represent by UMJ, but the promotion vibe is different. I'm not into details here (you can always check Kara's thread or karaholic), but mister promotion is almost an AKB48 level promotion in Japan.

Sorry if I'm being a party pooper here, just trying to be realistic and I could probably just wrong.

@Enos: Hi, I don't usually post anything :P but yes I'm kinda new and just lurk around since I join soompi. I'm at J-Pop fandom for quite a long time so I know a bit about their music industry and I like to share it with you all here

Why are some people so worked up over the sales ? 1,1K for ONE day is a very good number. It's just the first day, let's judge at the end of the week before we start saying anything. I think if they have constant sales like this they'll be able to achieve great sales.

Don't forget that SNSD never disappoints.

Lately, I've noticed that some fans here have doubts about the girls everytime they release something. It started with 'Genie'. Some S♥NEs were like "Oh... It's not as strong as 'Gee', they probably won't do as well but it's ok". Then came 'Oh!', and people thought the same thing "Oh, it's not as impressive as 'Genie', I don't know if it'll be successful" etc...

It seems like people aren't confident enough (despite what that one person said in a previous post). Doesn't SNSD always live up to the expectations ? Please, believe in them. :) I know it's bad to be overconfident but if even their fans aren't here to say and think "SNSD can do it !", who will ?

If they don't do as well as KARA or if they don't sell 30,000 copies, so what ? They just debuted in Japan. It's basically a fresh start. They are just lucky to debut with something already etablished because a few people already know them there and they have a little solid fanbase already.

That's why I deeply think 'Genie' will have great sales, even if it starts slowly, even if they don't promote. People in Japan are not fascinated by SNSD for nothing. They have what it takes to be successful there. 'Genie' is a powerhouse, people noticed the girls, that's basically what a debut song is for. But beyond that, the DVD sales make me think that the single itself will do great too.

And the rumor says 'Gee' is coming next. Do you know what 'Gee' represents to the girls ? South Korea couldn't resist, and Japan can't escape it either. Just... If you expect the girls to sell 200,000 copies, just give up. Because they won't. They'll just do well for a Korean group, and that's already so much.

SM's goal for SNSD is not to be Japan's #1 Group, but Asia's #1 Group. They even said that they don't plan to overly promote SNSD in Japan. SNSD is going to be busy flying all over asia for concerts and other promotions, they don't have as much time to go on Japanese variety shows and programs like Kara. I'm not dissing on Kara, but they're main focus right now is Korea/Japan and SNSD's is ASIA. The way that SM strategizes and markets their singers is really smart. I wouldn't underestimate them, even though they are overworking the girls.

Guest usagi713

i'm sure sm/umj are doing everything in their powers to help our girls have a successful japanese debut because look at this:

SNSD Genie @ Shibuya

cc: uploader

How awesome is this. Genie playing in the middle of Shibuya, it couldn't get any better than this. Furthermore, our girls are starting off great for their japanese debut.

Quick question: I know that the Genie Limited Press Edition was sold out sometimes ago, but will these sales apply to the oricon charts? if so, when?

edit:

silent_scream thanks for sharing those fan accounts. taengoo defending sones...wow this why i love SNSD. always having our backs when needed. kid leader has a genuine heart..love her. usually it's the fans that are protective of their idols, but in this case SNSD and SONES are mutually caring for one another. i'm glad i joined this fandom.

v

thank you

소원을 말해봐 Genie - #58

Oh! - #72

i'm sure sm/umj are doing everything in their powers to help our girls have a successful japanese debut because look at this:

SNSD Genie @ Shibuya

cc: uploader

How awesome is this. Genie playing in the middle of Shibuya, it couldn't get any better than this. Furthermore, our girls are starting off great for their japanese debut.

Quick question: I know that the Genie Limited Press Edition was sold out sometimes ago, but will these sales apply to the oricon charts? if so, when?

Yes those sales will be counted, but I'm not sure at which point of the week. Some have said the sales will receive a boost from these sales at the end of the week, while some have said these preorder sales are added on the first day.

rarely post here(more of a lurker) :sweatingbullets: but I would just like to say, congrats to soshi they did really good for their debut on the oricon charts. I think it was a brave move for UMJ to release genie on the same day as Glay and arashi and akb48 sub group. Its a good marketing startegy and the girls fared really well against other more established j-pop artist for a first official debut.

Don't worry about the rankings and number, because I am sure if the girls and SM wants to focus solely on the j-market they would definately be able to conqure the charts and the hearts of j-pop fans in time.

Warning--- rant-----

Just to share my thoughts ,What kind of worries me though is what exactly are SM's plan for the girls? yes i know to conqure Asia, but i think its safe to say that snsd is one of the most recognizable and the most popular kpop group in Asia, their fanbases are very strong in countries such as Thailand, China ,Taiwan, Philipines ,Singapore ,Malaysia etc. They are already established in Asia (east Asia mind you). So as much as I am glad that SM wants to focus on these market ,the real challenge i think would be for them to really establish themselves in the music industires hardest market i.e either Japan or US (since US and Japan ranks as the 1st and 2nd most lucrative must industry). If they truly want to conqure Asia it must begin with Japan first, because that is where the respect and recognition is earned for them to be Asia's No.1 group.

SM i am sure is not half assing their debut . Because this is SNSD we are talking about, SM won't neglect their debut here in Japan. But they are also not following the conservative road of debuting as seen from their sunbaes. I hope SM knows what they are doing because i hate for them to overworked the girls too much and end up not getting the desired results and hurting the girls.

I believe in the 9. They can conqure the world if they want to (although i do feel they have achieve that in a small way amongst the fan because i believe that in all the countries in the world there is at least one sone there) but they need the right push from SM and UMJ to make that dream a reality.

end rant--sorry

this is very disappointing and shameful for snsd. they've got beaten up by an AKB48 "SUBGROUP" in the first day of their debut single in the most richest country in asia (insert facepalm icon here). where are the k-sones? the international fans? the hype that they're creating overseas? it is definitely not visible today. i hope more sones will get fired up with these low sales numbers and buy the single in the next day. no.1 in thailand? philippines? taiwan?  pfft  they've got to get their feet up in japan first because there is where all the international recognition are.excl.gif

Warned for artist bashing.

I think SNSD will have full promotions in Japan next year. Maybe after their Korean comeback. SM doesn't plan to have SNSD in both Korea and Japan forever. I'm pretty sure they will make SNSD focus in Japan sooner or later.

They probably doesn't feel the need to keep SNSD in Japan right now because they only release Korean songs. The serious business will start when they'll have original songs and I think from that moment SNSD will 100% focus on the Japanese market, no matter what SM keep saying right now.

Honestly, I think SM tells fans that they will go back and forth to reassure K-SONEs who don't want to see the girls go and make them wait. It's ok to say that now that their full promotions are not exactly around the corner, especially when they already have scheduled a Korean comeback.

But Japan brings more money and the response there is explosive. They'll probably follow DBSK's foosteps and I think everyone expects it. SNSD's promotion in Japan is light right now because it's not necessary to overwork the girls for a remake song. It's like... they are testing the audience, you know ?

I think SNSD will have full promotions in Japan next year. Maybe after their Korean comeback. SM doesn't plan to have SNSD in both Korea and Japan forever. I'm pretty sure they will make SNSD focus in Japan sooner or later.

They probably doesn't feel the need to keep SNSD in Japan right now because they only release Korean songs. The serious business will start when they'll have original songs and I think from that moment SNSD will 100% focus on the Japanese market, no matter what SM keep saying right now.

Honestly, I think SM tells fans that they will go back and forth to reassure K-SONEs who don't want to see the girls go and make them wait. It's ok to say that now that their full promotions are not exactly around the corner, especially when they already have scheduled a Korean comeback.

But Japan brings more money and the response there is explosive. They'll probably follow DBSK's foosteps and I think everyone expects it.

A Korean comeback has been scheduled? oooo exciteddd

Guest mirabar

Some newscut about shojou jidai ^^

Dont think if it was posted yet but not sure cause,

Ive watched so many news with them witgout understanding anything xD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYpMcMHk5qE&feature=sub

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7zvvAkUCcc&feature=sub

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0M5xG-hnAw&feature=sub

And pls Sones believe in the power of nine, in our girls

cause if even Sones wont believe in their succes who will then?

Guest silent_scream

(Sep 8, 2010) UFO Star Call - SNSD Yoona

Hi, Its been a while.

To the many people waiting for “Im Actress”

(alligator laugh)

Uhh… I really want to act as well but,

I haven’t prepared yet

And I have been wanting to fulfill my SNSD activities

So for now i’ll be doing so

And when there is a good production and my skills have improved

At that point, I will again, come back to you as Im Actress.

I have to improve and will take a while since I have yet to even start preparing.

So just wait please and watch the SNSD activities. Bye~~~

Translated by: Taengoo@snsdkorean

[09.09.10] Son Anna and SoShi's Yuri are Close SM Friends

2010090812839578030.jpg

On the show, "The Qualities of a Man," Son Anna was disqualified for the  choir they were recruiting for. However, Son Anna will be debuting as a  singer soon under the name Anna. Her photo with SNSD's Yuri was  revealed on the internet.

Anna gained a lot of interest from the netizens since her appearance on  KBS 2TV's "Happy Sunday - The Qualities of a Man," and her pictures from  her trainee days were revealed.

One of those pictures shows herself with SNSD's Yuri, and is gaining explosive interest.

In 2000, while Son Anna was still in middle school, she won the prize  for SM's singing contest, and was a trainee at SM until 2004. At the  time, she went through tough times and built friendships with SNSD's  Yuri, Sooyoung, DBSK's Jaejoong, and others.

They are close enough for Yuri to mention Anna's name in one of her  album "Thanks to" sections. They say that Yuri was apparently also the  most active in supporting and encouraging Anna for her debut.

Son Anna's management company said, "Anna is a newcomer with 10 years of  training with vocal skills, dancing skills, and good looks. She has a  good foundation with her explosive vocals, and adding her other skills  and charisma on top, she is going to dominate the stage."

Son Anna featured in Crown J's "Kevin is a Player" in 2008.

Anna's title song, "Just 5 Minutes" and her couple song, "Live, Can't Die" will both be revealed on September 10th.

Source: ENS

Translation: taengbear@soshified.com

Maybe some sones are pressurized for SNSD to do well because they believe that SNSD has always done well. This is not the case. Having been a fan even before their debut up till now, I can say that their success was not INSTANT. They may have had a good amount of fans during their debut compared to girl groups back then, but they were not as popular the moment they debuted. However, as time went on, they just garnered more fans. Why do you think that is? It's because people got to know them through variety shows, bts videos, stage performances etc.

However, we can't expect SNSD to instantly do well when they are not fluent in the language. That barrier can prevent them from fully expressing themselves. When they can get used to it (the culture, the language), they will become more comfortable, more playful, more unafraid to show their skills, and eventually the Japanese music fans will see what we have seen.

I like SNSD that much more because of the fact that they weren't just an instant hit. They had to prove themselves. SNSD are kids at heart, but they are kids who are curious and ambitious. I hope SONES can stop trying to put too much pressure on their success in Japan. If the fans are too preoccupied with success, who else is going to protect and cheer them on?

-edit-

Wait a second, am I reading right? Their sales today was 11 100?! That's FCAKING amazing! From what I remembered even their debut single ITNW didn't sell as much on the first day. It was around 10 000 or something (higher, lower I don't remember), and THAT on itself is a feat [during that time idol girl groups were barely existing in the industry because none of them were given much attention).

If the numbers hold true, I think it's amazing, I have no idea why people are so sad about it. We need to go back to our roots. Even Gee sold 23 000 on its first week. GENIE is not even new and the people of a foreign country bought half of that in one day. How is that not amazing?

oh, and thanks Nouciel for provide us with the information! I appreciate it very much!