-- Cast Photos Revealed For Movie Adaptation Of Hit Asian Themed Nickelodeon Cartoon [...but Wtf?&#3

lol that reminded me of DBZ so much

especially with goku played by a non asian

i kinda think you guys are making a big deal out of this though

seriously does it really matter?

as long as the movie is good, i really could careless who the actors/actresses are

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest arandomasian

Well, this doesn't upset me because the cartoon is American made and they basterdize asian culture. However, that mini cooperfest Dragonball film with its all white cast was really a slap in the face.

Guest Atmosphere.

Even though they aren't Asians, even SPEED RACER! They didn't choose an Asian for lead role.

I think they chose great casting, I like how they chose Jackson Rathbone! He looks really good with that haircut!

Guest GorillaBaby

Wow so much heated dispute over this.

Heres a solution: Start making babies (fellow asian folks) and train them in the acting business. So there will be more people in hollywood other than like...Brenda song..ugh

But seriously, my problem is on how a great cartoon series like Avatar the last airbender could turn into this.

I seriously believed in Avatar (I was one of those freaks that watched the whole 3 chapters 10 billions times) and now I feel down just because my portrayals of the characters does not match (at all) the real actors.

I don't think Asians aren't gonna make it big unless there's a greater population in America. But I don't understand why people keep saying that Asian actors dont APPEAL to the general audience, what makes them a turnoff to America? Whats wrong with lets say a white person watching an asian person on tv or in the movies?? Are they going to be like, "Wow, that man in the movie i was going to see is asian. Too bad though, the movie plot was great."

No they are not, so why are you guys saying that asian people suck at acting and are unappealing to the general audience. You're all saying, why don't you give these non-asian people a chance or its not about the looks its about how good you act and I'd rather have a good, white actor than a bad, asian actor. How do you know if the asian actors are all bad and should not be casted?

Yes, I think Brandon Soo should have been chosen to be aang, not because he's ASIAN but he has more talents and abilities to offer than someone (noah ringer) who was chosen just because he was white. Well what about his martial arts skills? <- a facade of the real reason he was chosen. Brandon Soo has a black belt too AND he has more tv and movie experience than this unknown. So what's going on here?

Am I going to watch it? No, apparently Zuko's transformation from a handsome, dreamy asian guy (as in oriental) into ....slumdog millionaire has made me feel like i had been cheated from my future fantasies and dreams.

To me, Sokka (the actor) looks like an old bruno-looking weirdo. He's suppose to be young and funny and can make funny faces. This guy here does not look funny at all. Everyone else is just in love with him because he is handsome.

as for katara, just looking at the actor's picture, I can tell that shes too young looking and not motherly enough. Katara is suppose to be mature yet beautiful, yet i only see a girl who was in those miley cyrus videos. God gross..

Aang would totaly look better with brandon soo hoo.

n40902162_30812638_3956.jpg

Credit:

Read the whole debate between brandon Soo and Noah Ringer

http://community.livejournal.com/racebending/49431.html

Guest migato

They should just do what they did for the harry potter films and have nationwide open casting calls. Lol. Well it seems to work, you don't see a white girl playing the part of cho-chang anyways, and everyone looks just like they're suppose to. I think choosing actors is super important in keeping the authenticity of the original book/anime etc. Open casting calls, that is the solution, then maybe one of you guys can get a part in movies like this, we seem to type english just fine here one soompi, so we'd probably speak it just as fine...lol

Well, this doesn't upset me because the cartoon is American made and they basterdize asian culture. However, that mini cooperfest Dragonball film with its all white cast was really a slap in the face.

how does Avatar "Basterdize" asian culture? if that's the case arguments can be made that the same can be said for Dragonball.

Speed Racer and Dragonball should not be mentioned!

1. Speed is modeled after Elvis Presly..who is a white man

they casted Emile Hirsch because he looked and had the chops to potray Speed.

2. Goku is a john teshing ALIEN HE DOESNT HAVE A RACE!

3. These whining threads are annoying as hell

Yes, I think Brandon Soo should have been chosen to be aang, not because he's ASIAN but he has more talents and abilities to offer than someone (noah ringer) who was chosen just because he was white. Well what about his martial arts skills? <- a facade of the real reason he was chosen. Brandon Soo has a black belt too AND he has more tv and movie experience than this unknown. So what's going on here?

You never saw Noah act therefore you should not judge him

they chose Noah because of his martial arts skills not because he was white.

Just because someone has more experience in hollywood doesnt mean they fit the part.

And Dev Patil isn't Asian because he's Indian?.....

edit: India, to the shock of many of you, is an Asian country. Don't player hate the brownies.

It doesn't matter if they're "Asian" or not. As long as they look like the cartoon characters in even a tiny sense would help a lot. I'm not racist, but I'd think a light-skinned, slanty-eyed chinese/japanese/korean actor would make a good Zuko since Zuko is deathly pale and has slanty eyes. Hey, if they found a pale Indian who had Zuko features, I wouldn't be complaining. If Zuko were dark-skinned, had large eyes, and typical Indian features in the cartoon, I'd be complaining if he were casted as a pale-chinese boy.

how does Avatar "Basterdize" asian culture? if that's the case arguments can be made that the same can be said for Dragonball.
True. Avatar at worst embraces Asian culture.

I bet even the creators of Avatar, who are white, would rather have people who actually look like their characters casted. I'm sure there are hundreds of people who know martial arts and resemble, even a tiny bit, the Avatar characters.

Just because someone has more experience in hollywood doesnt mean they fit the part.

Well, from the looks of the trailer, he didn't look like a very convincing Aang (maybe it's the Director's fault. Who knows?). Let's hope he's better throughout the movie.

I hope the movie will be good regardless of its effortlessness to stick to the cartoon. I just have no expectations at the moment because the trailer looked particularly lame. Prejudgment ends here >D. I'll judge more after I watch the movie.

Well, from the looks of the trailer, he didn't look like a very convincing Aang (maybe it's the Director's fault. Who knows?). Let's hope he's better throughout the movie.

I hope the movie will be good regardless of its inability to stick to the cartoon. I just have no expectations at the moment because the trailer looked particularly lame. Prejudgment end here >D. I'll judge more after I watch the movie.

You cant judge from a trailer

hell he didnt even get a chance to do much.

You guys are reaching :angry:

You cant judge from a trailer

hell he didnt even get a chance to do much.

You guys are reaching :angry:

That's why I said I hope he is better in the movie and that it's perhaps the director's fault the trailer sucked. Do you notice how close-minded you are being? I'm trying to see both the pros and cons of the movie, but really, in my opinion, which is different than yours (I respect your opinions and I can only pray you respect mine), there are definitely more cons at the time being.

Guest emc123

i am such a huge fan of the avatar series and was definitely bummed when i first saw the actors. I mean sokka and katara are supposed to be african? or darker def not caucasian and AANG IS AN ASIAN MONK!!!! ARGGGG

anyway i'm afraid i'm still going to watch the movie because i loved the series but it sure is a disappointment.

Even the director (m night shamalan) is a person of color/not caucasian. you'd think he'd have cast a more diverse set of actors.

o nice...this reminds me of how they cast the main actor in the dragonball adaptation as non-asian. i wonder why they choose to do this, i mean there is a fan-base expecting asian actors, isn't that kind of a letdown? why NOT asian actors anyway? makes more sense and makes less sense why they didn't. did they think it'd appeal more? does it appeal more? is it any good this way??? arrrggghhh, i just don't know...will have to see to judge!

Guest wakeupluv

I can totally understand that there should be some asian actors playing them. But to look at it another way, in my opinion of course, the storyline doesn't have the actual countries like asia and the americas and stuff. Yes, it is totally asian influence, there is no doubt about it but their "races" i guess goes by different element tribes. To be honest, I was a little disappointed when there were no asians casted, well actually the guy who plays zuko is asian right? But to me i personally think that it doesn't matter who is casted just that they get the story and personalities right because that was what brought me in to watch this show. If that is not done right, i would be sooooo disappointed!! hahahahahah i just hope they do the show some justice because i think it's a great story!!!

I don't like the cast. It's mostly because this is an asian cartoon, they should've at least has someone that look a bit more asian. Not really warming up to the cast.

Hollywood is Hollywood, you would think they learn from the fail of Dragon Ball Z?

But anyway, don't like then don't watch. That's what I'm going to do.

Guest inyeon.

That's why I said I hope he is better in the movie and that it's perhaps the director's fault the trailer sucked. Do you notice how close-minded you are being? I'm trying to see both the pros and cons of the movie, but really, in my opinion, which is different than yours (I respect your opinions and I can only pray you respect mine), there are definitely more cons at the time being.

lol. pwned.

kidding. but seriously, lucasbunny, although I totally get what you're saying about the speedracer and dragonball thing...

Well then that wouldnt make sense, as Brandon S.H. has more martial art skills than Noah. And I dont see how BSH wouldnt fit, as the fact that he has experience with top movies, he has more martial arts skills, they look the same age, and hes actually asian.

Yes, sometimes these whining threads are annoying, I agree as well. But then you gotta realize its for a reason. I mean, imagine the sense of people remaking Memoirs of a Geisha with white people. Its just kinda like....wth :huh: . People obviously want it to pay respect to the original. Its not like people want to replace the while cast with all fobby asians. They just want some asian-american casting, which obviously the film-makers are avoiding so it can appeal more to the public.

I think this is such a big issue because Avatar, even though it was created by Americans and also voiced by many White people, is clearly showned to be heavily influenced by Asian culture. So it really sticks out that a majority of the cast isn't Asian.

It could be a pretty cool movie if they make it right, and I don't think they're going to.

o nice...this reminds me of how they cast the main actor in the dragonball adaptation as non-asian. i wonder why they choose to do this, i mean there is a fan-base expecting asian actors, isn't that kind of a letdown? why NOT asian actors anyway? makes more sense and makes less sense why they didn't. did they think it'd appeal more? does it appeal more? is it any good this way??? arrrggghhh, i just don't know...will have to see to judge!

Who says Goku is asian?

Well then that wouldnt make sense, as Brandon S.H. has more martial art skills than Noah. And I dont see how BSH wouldnt fit, as the fact that he has experience with top movies, he has more martial arts skills, they look the same age, and hes actually asian.

Yes, sometimes these whining threads are annoying, I agree as well. But then you gotta realize its for a reason. I mean, imagine the sense of people remaking Memoirs of a Geisha with white people. Its just kinda like....wth :huh: . People obviously want it to pay respect to the original. Its not like people want to replace the while cast with all fobby asians. They just want some asian-american casting, which obviously the film-makers are avoiding so it can appeal more to the public.

How do you know he has more MH experience?

and just because you know karate doesnt mean you are best for the part.

Suppose they wanted to remake Enter the Dragon and they chose Jet Li

how you feel?

Guest inyeon.

How do you know he has more MH experience?

and just because you know karate doesnt mean you are best for the part.

I know he has more experience because I know the dude personally, and he is very skilled.

His resume also states his experience, if you would like to search it up.

okay...then what WOULD make a person better for the role?

Guest poopoo

^ if you're not asian-american i don't think you really have an opinion unless ITS SUPPORT

seriously! i can't believe you don't understand. this is def not WHINE. there needs to be more asian-americans in movies, we're all over the corporate america and more! so what if we represent only 5%?! i don't think its 5%.

TO LUCASBUNNY, how would you like it if someone cast all white actors and actresses for a Black novel or cartoon!? i don't think you get the point of this whole thread.

edit**

just wanted to bring up the movie 21. i think it was mentioned hereee but yeah. a story about asian americans, but the leads were white men.

remember institutional racism and white privilege?!

Archived