-- Cast Photos Revealed For Movie Adaptation Of Hit Asian Themed Nickelodeon Cartoon [...but Wtf?&#3

Guest ellopauline

That's messed up especially with the Sokka thing.

He was my favorite character. how lame

its gonna fail just like dragon ball. -_______-

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, and the only realistic way Asians will ever be able to do that in Hollywood is when Asians bring in money. They have to prove it through their wallets and their actions.

make up your mind because earlier you said that boycotts dont do jack . and now u are saying asians should prove it through their wallets and their actions (which is exactly the point of a boycott to not patronize the movie to prove it "through their wallets" )

The fact you're trying to tie your little Avatar rant with your boycott on Hollywood until they start portraying Asians and casting Asians is rather confusing.

"boycott on hollywood" where did i say we should boycott all of hollywood? i said boycott the film. you keep misquoting me and putting words in my mouth from insinuating that i suggested that a boycott is a magic pilll to now boycotting hollywood.

and what part of it is confusing? you are confusing yourself by not being able to keep track of what has and hasnt been said. the insult that is the casting for avatar is in direct correlation with the casting/portrayal of asian americans in hollwyood. they are parallel -they go hand in hand theres nothing confusing about it. if you actually took the time to read/watch what is being said instead of speaking and commenting prematurely then u wouldnt have this problem of "confusion"

:rolleyes:

Guest tirahbunny

the kid who plays Aang isnt adorable at all, like Aang is suppose to be!!!!

I have no idea who that girl is that plays Katara. She's like 8 shades lighter than the actual Katara. LOL

I like Dev Patel though, he looks good. and yes he IS Asian. Let's not forget India is in Asia.

for the other roles they could have casted Aaron Yoo, Justin Chon, Leonardo Nam, Shin Koyamada

I like Dev Patel though, he looks good. and yes he IS Asian. Let's not forget India is in Asia.

yeah thats 1 thing im glad about. originally they were going to cast blonde hair blue eyed Jesse Mccartney for dev patel's role , but after some rallying by fans (see it can make a difference) they decided to cast someone with darker features.

Guest colloquy

make up your mind because earlier you said that boycotts dont do jack . and now u are saying asians should prove it through their wallets and their actions (which is exactly the point of a boycott to not patronize the movie to prove it "through their wallets" )

Yes, NOT spending money is just a passive action, and not what that saying means. SPENDING money on Asian-American entertainment would be proactive. What I'm saying is being a tad bit proactive may be more effective for your movement.

"boycott on hollywood" where did i say we should boycott all of hollywood? i said boycott the film. you keep misquoting me and putting words in my mouth from insinuating that i suggested that a boycott is a magic pilll to now boycotting hollywood.

and what part of it is confusing? you are confusing yourself by not being able to keep track of what has and hasnt been said. the insult that is the casting for avatar is in direct correlation with the casting/portrayal of asian americans in hollwyood. they are parallel -they go hand in hand theres nothing confusing about it. if you actually took the time to read/watch what is being said instead of speaking and commenting prematurely then u wouldnt have this problem of "confusion"

:rolleyes:

... But, why not boycott all of Hollywood and their behavior towards your race? In my opinion, that would be more effective and make a hell lot more sense than simply boycotting 'Avatar: The Last Airbender.' You said that you hoped that your boycott against Avatar will affect future casting... what, after Avatar stops airing in theaters, you're going to call it quits? Organizations and movements are more effective when they have a broader mission than a very, very narrow one, and as we know discrimination of Asians in Hollywood did not begin and end with this one movie.

I was simply suggesting the most effective and perhaps only way Asians will ever gain foothold in the movie industry... I never said the following: "Boycott is (not) a magic pill," I was questioning the effectiveness of your proposed actions.

Guest chewy130

It not about the beeping casts. Get over yourself. If these comic adaptation stop being so rated PG, then we would have an awesome movies. Stop ranting about asain not being casted. American still isn't ready for Asian as the main roles!

I didnt say the cast was the only reason, but looking at the movie and the cast it looked like it had "hollywood" all over it, it seemed like it was just a money maker using the good name of a franchise and then putting a white main character just to please a large demographic of people

and its rated PG so kids can go and drag their parents to see this movie. when movies are made in this formula, they are never good.

and thats what i think their doing with avatar, using a good name of a franchise, making it rated PG and have a cast that pleases a large demographic just to get viewers up.

and judging by previous movies, avatar is gonna be a failure

Guest adorkiable

I will just stick to watching the cartoon series unless the Japanese do their own live action.

When Hollywood attempts to do a live action out of a cartoon series, they fail miserably.

Guest chewy130

the kid who plays Aang isnt adorable at all, like Aang is suppose to be!!!!

I have no idea who that girl is that plays Katara. She's like 8 shades lighter than the actual Katara. LOL

for the other roles they could have casted Aaron Yoo, Justin Chon, Leonardo Nam, Shin Koyamada

if u like patel as a actor fine, but liking him jsut because he is Indian makes you just as bad as the people who made the cast for this movie.

And althought India is in Asia, they are not Oriental, which is what the whole setting and premise of avatar is about

Guest shotamerican

hrmm. i think it's more of the fact of everyone is under the impression that they seemed to have avoided asian actors all together, not so much that they picked mostly white actors.

i feel like that's what they did, too.

but then again, stuff like this happens with any comic/animation made into live action movie.

death note, for example. the main character was supposed to be this tall, suave, charming guy.

instead they casted a mousy looking dude just cause he's famous for playing weird roles.

i was totally turned off.

i agree with looking the part, no matter what ethnicity, but some of them don't look anything similar.

and with that kind of art style, there's a lot of freedom to choose here.

hopefully this means there was something in the character's acting that really brought out the original characters' personalities during auditions.

if there were auditions? i didn't really research this whole thing thoroughly so don't take my comments as fact.

personally i think the kid picked for aang looks like aang.

and until we see some acting flaws we really can't say anything bad about him.

Guest meiimei7

my friends and I have been following the avatar since it started, and we were more than ecstatic when we heard there was going to be a film adaptation on it! But then epic fail after epic fail came.

First, M. Night? Seriously?? Since the 6th sense he's done nothing but mini cooper out horrrrrible movies. Second of all, the entire series is based IN ASIA! We can see all different types, not just like, say China, or if it were Japan. There could even be Inuits as the water tribe, for fire it could be like northern asia (korea or japan) and earth bending could be seen as south asia (cambodia, vietnam, some parts of china) and air bending, well since it's only aang, could be chinese. I am beyond angered that the cast list has perhaps one or two asians that aren't even main roles. M. Night might be trying to 'culturally diverse' by including indians, and jewish people, but heck, excluding asians from a dominantly asian show is ridiculous. I saw the preview, and I am still looking forward to it, but the fact that they couldn't even include even a few asian people in the main cast is just plain stupid.

oh well.

'coulda shoulda woulda'

let's hope it isn't completely terrible. -___-;

fricken raised my blood pressure over this.

Guest ovaltinejenkins

oh good grief. not this again. stop complaining and just don't go out to watch it.

then you would you guys choose for these roles? someone from asia with a terrible accent so asians could be mocked even more?

though i'm going to say that little boy from tropic thunder would have been a great aang. brandon soo?

and jackson kind of looks like sokka... the way he's smiles goofy...

anyway,... how about YOU make your own last airbender movie instead of whining about it.

shoot, all of you acting like little kids because you aren't getting what you want.

btw, I'M KOREAN >:[

Guest Malice_Kaiser

yeah thats 1 thing im glad about. originally they were going to cast blonde hair blue eyed Jesse Mccartney for dev patel's role , but after some rallying by fans (see it can make a difference) they decided to cast someone with darker features.

The only reason they didn't cast blonde-haired blue-eyed Jesse MacCartney was because of scheduling conflicts with his tour. <_<

Guest .diana.

if there weren't any good Asian actors out there and the casting directors tried to give each race an equal opportunity, this would be understandable, but it seems like they preferred Caucasians over other races.

from the Racebending website:

castinglead.jpg

I know it says "or any other ethnicity," but that kind of makes other ethnicities seem second to Caucasian.

Guest bluberri_oreo

Those who are in charge of casting aren't trying to be racist, but its about selling movie tickets. Having an all Asian cast will most likely not make the movie a box office hit because moviegoers are used to watching White or Black actors/actresses are screen. In order to attract an audience they need actors that people are interested in. As much as it sucks to hear this, the reality is that not everyone is ready to see an all Asian cast. However, directors are slowly including Asian American actors/actresses, which is a step forward for all of us.

On another note ... I love the Avatar series, but once I saw the preview, I was extremely dissapointed that there were no East Asians casted. I mean ... clearly the characters in the series are East Asian (chinese characters were used in the series so I assume they are East Asian) and they could have least included one. BUT whatevers ... I plan to watch it online.

Guest SHaZZy

Omg wtf. I imagined Zuko to be this really sexy, Asian hottie bad-richard simmons. --

...I think I'm going to stick to the cartoon.

Archived