-- Cast Photos Revealed For Movie Adaptation Of Hit Asian Themed Nickelodeon Cartoon [...but Wtf?&#3

Guest heineken.
Being proactive is key to progression for asian americans!

Very much agree!

The reason why Asians only cast in kung fu movies and dorky teenager roles is because they don't speak out!

In all these family sitcoms - there are Mexican, White, African Americans.. but no Asian families. We're very much invisible to the media.

Jackie Chan, Jet Li, Lucy Liu, Zhang Ziyi, Chow Yun Fat.. where are the fresh faces? When's the last time you've seen a breakout Asian actor/actress? -_- and it's not because there are no Asians trying to get in the entertainment industry, there are tons but no one gives them a chance..

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest flowoftime

Well its THEIR LOSS because look at all the movies that should of casted asians and see how bad their ratings were

- dragonball

- street fighter

lol i cant remember more cus i dont go see movies often but those are pretty recent movies that failed and alot of people

went " wtf" when they looked at the cast

and then see how successful movies like memoirs of a geisha was , believe it or not the general audience in the states likes to

see authenticity in movies it helps the characters seem more believeable which is why its effing ridiculous theres no asians playing

in avatar which i yet to see any of the cartoons that cant possibly be asian.

Guest colloquy

A boycott isn't going to do jack. More Asians need to enter the film industry as actresses/actors/screenwriters/producers/etc. We need Asian-AMERICANS in this industry, we can't solely rely on imports.

As for the reasons why Asians aren't as prevalent in Hollywood, well, just look around you:

1.) Not that large of a population.

2.) Asian parents look down upon these very unstable professions.

3.) Asians don't have the history in this country that the African-American's do, and they also do not share the same language like most of the Hispanics do, making it difficult to have popular cable channel which most Asians watch because their languages are all different.

4.) Little support for Asian American actors, more focus on the actors back home.

I probably wrote this out a lot more eloquently when I made the point a year ago, but that's the basic idea.

Well its THEIR LOSS because look at all the movies that should of casted asians and see how bad their ratings were

- dragonball

- street fighter

lol i cant remember more cus i dont go see movies often but those are pretty recent movies that failed and alot of people

and then see how successful movies like memoirs of a geisha was , believe it or not the general audience in the states likes to

see authenticity in movies it helps the characters seem more believeable which is why its effing ridiculous theres no asians playing

I think Memoirs of A Geisha is a little different compared to these Fantasy type movies.

The casting doesn't bother me TOO TOO much... the thing is... there aren't a whole lot of Asian actors that can ACT... and the ones who can don't want to play into the whole "I'm Asian so I should play an Asian role (and by that I mean martial artist or math geek" ie John Cho and Lucy Liu. I'm always rooting for Asian actors when they do land a role, but the truth is... they usually suck. And so, to be honest, I'd prefer to pay to see a good actor than an actor that looks the part and that goes with ANY movie by any actor. Throwing fits probably won't make too much of a difference. Why not support the really good Asian American actors instead?

Guest chewy130

- dragonball

- street fighter

lol when i saw dragonball z and looked at the cast, i knew it wasnt gonna be good, i knew it was just gonna be made so they could make as much money as possible.

Guest Donyale

This is like what they did with "DragonBall." I do think that they could have used at least some Asians. This movie is probably going to be horrible.

Guest eternitytofu
lol when i saw dragonball z and looked at the cast, i knew it wasnt gonna be good, i knew it was just gonna be made so they could make as much money as possible.

It not about the beeping casts. Get over yourself. If these comic adaptation stop being so rated PG, then we would have an awesome movies. Stop ranting about asain not being casted. American still isn't ready for Asian as the main roles!

Guest aznxmushu

yea i didn't like the fact of this either...

same goes for Dragon ball and streetfighter...

I LOOOOOVE AVATAR... but this in a way ruined it...

i think zuko was hot in the cartoon hehe but honestly... UGH

i'm still gonna go see the last airbender... but haha in the back of my mind i'm just hoping it's not like dragon and street fighter >_>

Guest o1honey

Ridiculous.

But if most people haven't noticed... our entire world is ruled over by Caucasians. CEO's and high positioned people are mostly caucasians. why is that?

Not only is this a slap in the face for the asian community but for every community as well.

but oh well.

there are so many talented asians with potentials out there that could of been casted for this movie but NOOOO they decide to wreck a popular TV show but creating false images and disbelief. Hell... even if they casted the WORST actor/actress in asia.. at least there would some authencity and believability in the movie so there will be a potential in the movie. By casting an all-caucasian crew.. these people lost aobut 70% of their viewers or support.

it doesn't look interesting anyways. Major F L O P!

Guest Orijinalx

^ if they hired the worst actors/actress why bother seeing the movie then? To me race doesn't matter in a movie. It's more of how well the actor/actress can portray the characters they are playing.

If the movie sucks, it's not because there was a lack of asian actors/actress, it's just pain simply because the acting sucked/storyline was bad/etc..

What the mother john tesher....holy mini cooper.......what the john tesh get the john tesh outta here...Asians shall prevail god damn it racist pigs.....

Guest kp1shadow

^

I'm sorry but that made me crack up ^^.

I am so boycotting. I love Avatar the series on Nick but I know that if I watch this movie, I'm going to be very dissapointed.

A boycott isn't going to do jack. More Asians need to enter the film industry as actresses/actors/screenwriters/producers/etc. We need Asian-AMERICANS in this industry, we can't solely rely on imports.

As for the reasons why Asians aren't as prevalent in Hollywood, well, just look around you:

1.) Not that large of a population.

2.) Asian parents look down upon these very unstable professions.

3.) Asians don't have the history in this country that the African-American's do, and they also do not share the same language like most of the Hispanics do, making it difficult to have popular cable channel which most Asians watch because their languages are all different.

4.) Little support for Asian American actors, more focus on the actors back home.

I probably wrote this out a lot more eloquently when I made the point a year ago, but that's the basic idea.

please familiarize yourself with the concept of "boycotts" and while your at it you might want to take note that boycotts have been a part of literally almost every successful battle for equality.

Try google :)

nobody said that one boycott = the answer to everything.

its merely one thing amongst many that needs to be in order for our voice to be heard

all the things you listed from 1 through 4 are all factors as to why Asians are not as prevalent in Hollywood and why we constantly get overlooked, but being passive and negligent by saying that proactive forms of protest "wont do jack" is ignorant

because time and time again history proves your theory wrong. boycotts, letters, anything to bring attention to the matter helps. obviously one boycott and a handful of letters is not going to stop this movie from coming out, but collectively every and anything helps.

and yes we do need to support asian americans in the industry instead of relying on imports, but the fact of the matter is imports help open gates here in America in their own right.

for example in music the popularity of kpop is slowly but surely seeping into the conscious of record labels here in the united states and this will in turn help asian american artists who are looking to come up as well.

the bottomline is, every little thing helps. its only a matter of time before we are recognized for the diverse ppl that we are and represented in such fashion, but things are moving much slower for us than say african americans because like you said we are not unified by language we are divided in culture and language, but thats why its so important that the new generation of Asian Americans are as proactive as possible

u can start by visiting

http://www.RaceBending.com and spreading the word

Guest colloquy
please familiarize yourself with the concept of "boycotts" and while your at it you might want to take note that boycotts have been a part of literally almost every successful battle for equality.

nobody said that one boycott = the answer to everything. its merely one thing amongst many that needs to be in order for our voice to be heard

all the things you listed from 1 through 4 are all factors as to why Asians are not as prevalent in Hollywood and why we constantly get overlooked, but being passive and negligent by saying that proactive forms of protest "wont do jackmini cooper" is ignorant

because time and time again history proves your theory wrong. boycotts, letters, anything to bring attention to the matter helps. obviously one boycott and a handful of letters is not going to stop this movie from coming out, but collectively every and anything helps

Let me clarify my point, a boycott against THIS MOVIE isn't going to do jack. You can prove me wrong, but I'm very doubtful that you'll be able to affect this movie's casting in any shape and form. When has this director ever been sensitive to race and ethnicity? From his movies, I would garner a guess that he isn't. Plus, Hollywood is a business, they aim to sell... they're not the government, racial sensitivity isn't at the top of their things to do, even if their insensitivity may produce a couple angry letters. Do you know how many Germans boycotted Tom Cruise's role in Valkryie... and yup, he was still casted. Anyway, there's no point in me arguing about this, it's up to you to produce any significant results and prove me wrong.

Guest hsin531

The major Hollywood film studios are not going to have an all Asian American cast because it's not profitable enough for them and in the end these studios only care about their profit earnings. Also Asian American actors are still not mainstream enough to carry a movie, they are still sought out as supporting actors or the sidekick in major studio films. While I didn't expect to see an Asian American ensemble cast for this movie, at least they could have had more than one Asian actor. I agree with you that this lack of representation and blatant limiting of opportunities for Asian American actors is extremely unfair and it's good that you're lending a voice to a cause and promoting more awareness towards it. I hope it opens more people's eyes to this unjust situation.

Let me clarify my point, a boycott against THIS MOVIE isn't going to do jack. You can prove me wrong, but I'm very doubtful that you'll be able to affect this movie's casting in any shape and form. When has this director ever been sensitive to race and ethnicity? From his movies, I would garner a guess that he isn't. Plus, Hollywood is a business, they aim to sell... they're not the government, racial sensitivity isn't at the top of their things to do, even if their insensitivity may produce a couple angry letters. Do you know how many Germans boycotted Tom Cruise's role in Valkryie... and yup, he was still casted. Anyway, there's no point in me arguing about this, it's up to you to produce any significant results and prove me wrong.

isnt going to do jack? in regards to what? what exactly do you think the goal is in trying to boycott the movie? what part of my video or post did i say i was trying to stop/affect the casting that has already been done for this movie? please go back and re-read or re-watch do what u need to do because i never even insinuated such a thing.

millions of dollars have already been spent they are almost already done filming the casting has been done. the point of boycotting the movie is not to change the casting. strikes, boycotts, all forms of protest are all powerful tools when conducted collectively. but they arent "overnight magic pills" anyone with a brain knows that.

if a restaurant was racist to asians do you think that if you decided to boycott the restaurant and not eat there that it would really affect the restaurants business? probably not. the restaurant is a business obviously just like hollywood is. they speak dollars not racial sensitivity but if you and your friends and everyone else in your community did not patronize the restaurant , bet ur bottom dollar that SOMETHING is going to change.

and like i said one single boycott against one movie is obviously not the point . the point is for asian americans to send a message to hollywood that our voices cannot be ignored because if we dont speak out and act out then they will forever be overlooking our talents and making movies that either 1.) portray us negatively or 2.) dont portray us at all

Guest colloquy
and like i said one single boycott against one movie is obviously not the point . the point is for asian americans to send a message to hollywood that our voices cannot be ignored because if we dont speak out and act out then they will forever be overlooking our talents and making movies that either 1.) portray us negatively or 2.) dont portray us at all

Yes, and the only realistic way Asians will ever be able to do that in Hollywood is when Asians bring in money. They have to prove it through their wallets and their actions.

This argument has really been done to death. It's been going on in the Avatar: The Last Airbender thread and another thread about Asians in Hollywood in the Other TV, movies, etc section. I really don't see why you had to bring it here. The fact you're trying to tie your little Avatar rant with your boycott on Hollywood until they start portraying Asians and casting Asians is rather confusing to me. Was the remake of a Nickelodeon cartoon that suddenly fueled the fire? This has been going on for decades.

The major Hollywood film studios are not going to have an all Asian American cast because it's not profitable enough for them and in the end these studios only care about their profit earnings.

I see your point but we cannot just say "oh well" and let things be.

if black people just said "oh well hollywood wont consider us to be money makers so we should just play our positions and let things be" we would not have people like denzel washington or will smith both of whom earn top dollar and bring in some of the biggest profits for studios to date. and they both happen to be black. do u know the reason why studios are willing to take on black actors? because black people have acted proactively for many years to be included to be heard to be seen.

as soon as we have ONE breakout asian hollywood star the gate will open, all we need is that one person and we have yet to have one. but when that day comes, studios will indeed realize that having an asian star in a movie can indeed be profitable. like i siad in my video we have a black president for christs sake who wouldve thoguht the american public was so open minded?

little bobby in oshkosh wisconsin could probably give a freak if the lead character in avatar is a real asian kid. just like he didnt care that the cartoon he was watching in the first place- IS COMPLETELY ASIAN TO BEGIN WITH! the only difference is -its a cartoon!

Also Asian American actors are still not mainstream enough to carry a movie, they are still sought out as supporting actors or the sidekick in major studio films.

yep and thats a problem. goofy sidekick. doesnt speak english well. asexual. there for comedic relief (thikn jackie chan in rush hour)

While I didn't expect to see an Asian American ensemble cast for this movie, at least they could have had more than one Asian actor. I agree with you that this lack of representation and blatant limiting of opportunities for Asian American actors is extremely unfair and it's good that you're lending a voice to a cause and promoting more awareness towards it. I hope it opens more people's eyes to this unjust situation.

agreed. i didnt expect to see an all asian american cast for this movie either.

obviously we are not at the point in our culture to have an all asian cast in a big hollywood movie but like u said NOT ONE of the lead characters in this movie adaptation with eastern asian cartoon characters is asian (with the exception of dev patel who is not even eastern asian) and that is absolutely ridiculous.

Archived