Song Joong Ki 송중기 - [Upcoming Movie 2024] My Name Is Loh Kiwan

gm4queen

[Hallyu Power] Song Joong-ki is more than good looks

This is the 12th article in a series that explores the driving forces behind hallyu and the global rise of Korean pop culture. -- Ed.

Though many have come to know him as the dashing Army Capt. Yoo Shi-jin in the recent hit series “Descendants of the Sun,” actor Song Joong-ki has actually tried his hand in diverse acting roles since his debut in 2008. 

When it comes to his acting career, Song is not shy about his ambitions, he revealed in a group interview at the Grand Hyatt Seoul on April 15. 

“There are so many characters I want to play,” the 30-year-old actor said. “I’m greedy about acting.”

Song has primarily been in the spotlight for his pretty-boy image, milky-white complexion and elite education background. He majored in business administration at the prestigious Sungkyunkwan University. However, his past works hint at an actor who is willing to take on substantial challenges in his craft. 

In his first film, “A Frozen Flower,” he starred as a military commander’s bodyguard, a role that initially had no lines. Song was injured during the shoot when he fell off a horse, but continued filming through the pain. Director Yoo Ha, impressed by Song’s tenacity, decided to give him a short scene with dialogue, reports say. 

In “A Werewolf Boy” (2012), Song played a half-man, half-wolf creature, raised among wolves, who becomes devoted to a girl who cares for him and teaches him the ways of human life. Song received positive reviews for his portrayal, which viewers said offered a skillful blend of wolfish habits, innocent boyhood and the unconditional devotion animals show toward humans. 

The versatile actor also made his mark in television through his roles in the dramas “Sungkyunkwan Scandal” (2010) as cocky playboy Goo Yong-ha, and in “Deep Rooted Tree” (2011) as a young prince. 

According to Jo Sung-hee, the director of “A Werewolf Boy,” Song was as fastidious in his acting technique as he was gregarious with the filming crew.

“Song prepares a lot and practices his scenes extensively,” Jo said at a press conference for his new film, “Detective Hong Gil-dong” on Monday. “He trains very hard. He’s also very talkative and energetic on the set.”

For his next project, Song has chosen the film “Battleship Island,” set in the period of the Japanese occupation of Korea. Song is to play Park Moo-young, an independence fighter who infiltrates a Japanese island to rescue a group of captured fellow Korean fighters. The role is a dream come true for him, Song said.

“I really wanted to do a period piece set in the Japanese occupation era,” he said. “With this film, I’ve cleared one longtime goal.”

Going forward, Song wants to steer away from the chivalrous boyfriend role that has earned him massive popularity.

“I want to play a character that is cold,” he said. “I think there are sides of me that are like that. I’m a fan of the actor Edward Norton, and if you see his early works, he plays a lot of those roles. A thriller could be fun, too.”

On his acting approach, Song said he likes to “go by the book” and prioritize the script over anything else.

“I read the script very carefully and I try to imagine, from the writer’s point of view, why a certain line of dialogue was placed in a certain scene.”

At the same time, he says it’s inevitable that his own personality comes through in the characters he plays. 

“I’m not a fan of gushing emotions,” he said. “I think that probably shows in all of the characters I play. I try to reinterpret the characters in my style.”

For his role as Yoo in “Descendants,” for example, Song was lauded for convincingly delivering romantic dialogue that could otherwise have been cringe-inducing, striking just the right balance between the cool and the emotional.

His time in the military was a significant turning point in his life, Song said.

“I was told I would never get another chance to rub shoulders with ordinary soldiers and live a normal life. I felt I would be able to learn a lot not only as an actor, but also as a young man.”

By meeting people who had come together for Korea’s mandatory military service, Song said he realized he shouldn’t complain about his own hardships. 

“There were people from all different backgrounds. I thought to myself, ‘Things that I consider stressful aren’t anything to some people,’” he said. “I felt so many things in the military. I think that shows in my acting now.”

Now that his popularity has rocketed to superstardom -- at least for the moment in Korea’s ever-churning celebrity scene -- Song says he feels burdened with responsibility.

“I have to work hard at my job so that my company employees can take home their pay,” he said. “And I’ve gained international fans who are supporting me. I think I absolutely shouldn’t disappoint them.”

The best way to live up to these expectations, Song said, is to focus on his craft. 

“I’m an actor, so the best thing I can do is to show myself through a good project.”

When asked if he wants to abandon his pretty-boy image, as most “serious” actors are wont to do, Song replied, unexpectedly, with a resolute “No.”

“Realistically, looks offer an advantage to an actor,” he said. “I’m going to work hard to maintain my skin. I’m going to prevent aging as much as possible. And I will keep trying to become a better person on the inside as much as I spruce up the outside.”

By Rumy Doo (doo@heraldcorp.com) 

~~~~~~~~~~~

Park Bo Gum compliments Song Joong Ki

tumblr_o68humelzr1tjt42ro7_1280.jpg

Park Bo Gum was featured as a cover model for the first time on 'The Star' magazine! 

He engaged in an interview following the photo shoot and talked about fellow Blossom Entertainment actor Song Joong Ki. He said, "I learned a lot from watching 'Descendants of the Sun'. If I were given that role, I would not have been able to do as well as Song Joong Ki hyung. I want to act as brothers with him if given the chance in the future. I also want to shoot pictorials with Blossom family members." 

http://www.allkpop.com/article/2016/04/park-bo-gum-compliments-song-joong-ki-reveals-one-thing-he-cant-give-up-even-as-a-celebrity

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Chellsee said:

<snipping the article>

"Going forward, Song wants to steer away from the chivalrous boyfriend role that has earned him massive popularity.

“I want to play a character that is cold,” he said. “I think there are sides of me that are like that. I’m a fan of the actor Edward Norton, and if you see his early works, he plays a lot of those roles. A thriller could be fun, too.” "

THIS! This was enough to drag me out of lurk mode to say how much I admire this young man and sooooo looking forward to following his career! Wow, Edward Norton --- of all actors in the world to give a special shout out too. This dude is deep and so, apparently, is SJK. Those are some huge shoes to fill and may the wind always be at SJK's back blowing him to his goals.

A side note: Edward Norton played an uncredited role in Ridley Scott's Kingdom of Heaven that stole the whole movie!

• Like 3

Song Joong Ki’s charitable action helps children with childhood leukemia

South Korean actor Song Joong Ki plays the lead character of Captain Yoo Si Jin aka Big Boss in KBS' 'Descendants of the Sun.'

It has been revealed that Song Joong Ki has been making donations in secret. In early March, Blossom Entertainment humbly confirmed the claims and admitted that the actor has been donating regularly since 2011.

"Song Joong Ki wanted to do this quietly. So he has been donating steadily without revealing it to other people," a representative from his agency said, as cited by Naver TV. "But it seems like it was revealed through the blog post."

"Descendants of the Sun" star has been secretly making donations to the Korean Childhood Leukemia Foundation (KCLF) for the past five years. His charitable actions were revealed when the foundation decided to announce it.

The 30-year-old Hallyu star became involved with the foundation when he took an interest in the "Yellow Ribbon" campaign in a bid to raise awareness about pediatric cancer in early 2011. Since then, Song has donated all the rice wreath collected at his screening events and his entire commission earned from narrating MBC's award-winning documentary, "Tears of the Antarctic."

Even when he was in the military, the actor used his personal money to donate 10 million won for the foundation. In the past, Song also donated around 100 million won ($83,000) through UNICEF in order to assist the victims and families of Nepal earthquake, Destination K-pop has learned.

Although both the foundation and his agency declined to disclose the exact amount, it has been learned that more than 10 children have received medications for childhood cancer with the funds Song has provided anonymously throughout the years.

Song has catapulted his name in the industry, both in Korea and China for his role in KBS' mega-hit drama, "Descendants of the Sun." While the well-loved TV series has already concluded on April 14, the show has paved the way for countless advertisements and offers for the actor.

According to reports, the actor is at present caught up preparing for his next project, as he will soon be braving the silver big screens in the upcoming historical-war based movie, "Battleship Island." The actor also revealed his plans to shave his head for his role in the film.

The upcoming film is based on the real-life events in the midst of the Japanese colonial era. It highlights the concealed history of Japan's Hashima Island and the countless lost lives of the South Korean laborers, who was drafted into forced labor. It stars Song, So Ji Sub, and Hwang Jung Min and is intended to be released in early 2017.

Check out the video below:

• Like 3

4 hours ago, miss sojisub said:

Hi.... is the Running Man Special China Korean with SJK on it already on screen? Where can I watch it by streaming? Thank you

As i know there is no news saying that RM Special China Korean with SJK already on screen. I'm sure there will be official information or news if it's already on screen.

yebaba_j IG update with SJK

He's so handsome in suit :heart:

13092329_1710649062523938_105899186_n.jp

• Like 3

Song Joong Ki and Park Bo Gum to model together for 'Domino's Pizza'!

song-joong-ki--park-bo-gum_1461719631_af

Two of Korea's hottest actors will be working together for 'Domino's Pizza'!

On April 27, it was announced that Song Joong Ki  and Park Bo Gum have been chosen as the new models for the pizza brand!

This is the first time since 2011 that two male models will promote 'Domino's Pizza'. Previously, Gong Yoo and Suzy worked together, followed by Kim Woo Bin and Kim So Hyun. Now the two actors from Blossom Entertainment are partnering up to present a brand new, delicious CF!

Are you also thrilled to see the new hot models for 'Domino's Pizza'?

http://www.allkpop.com/article/2016/04/song-joong-ki-and-park-bo-gum-to-model-together-for-dominos-pizza

• Like 2

"Descendants of the Sun" Song Joong-ki and Song Hye-kyo smiling together

photo718269.jpg

Song Joong-ki and Song Hye-kyo look tight.

Song Hye-kyo posted a picture from the set of "Descendants of the Sun" on her Instagram on the 26th.

In the picture, Song Hye-kyo and Song Joong-ki are standing close to each other. Their faces are covered with black dirt but they look happy.

Song Hye-kyo's fans are glad to see the picture.

Meanwhile, Song Hye-kyo and Song Joong-ki played a doctor and a soldier in "Descendants of the Sun" and earned the nickname 'Song-Song Couple'.

source: hancinema

• Like 1

Song Joong Ki got netizens debating over alleged “ghost” picture

http://www.dispatch.co.kr/499505

Song Joong Ki is in middle of a big debate online after his pictorial with an alleged ghost figure in the background went viral. 

For the past few days, fans have been constantly commenting about a post highlighting a shadowy figure behind Song Joong Ki in one of his shoots in Hong Kong. The post, which originated from Sina, eventually spread through various media outlets in South Korea.

At first glance, it looked as if Joong Ki had an unknown shape in the background as he posted. However, Dispatch released two photos depicting that the said viral photo was edited, suggesting it to possibly have been a prank made by netizens.

In the original photo shot in Hong Kong released by Harper’s Bazaar, it was pointed out that the smoky figure being discussed was not there. It was concluded that with a play of lighting, along with the cracks on the wall and reflection, made it seem that there was a ghost in the background.

song-joongki

http://www.koreaboo.com/news/song-joong-ki-got-netizens-debating-over-alleged-ghost-picture/

• Like 1