Guys, Rate These Occupations For Girls!

StephyT

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest faerie87

Saying you're done for the night.. well thanks for letting me know when mommy calls you off the computer to go to bed :rolleyes:

You conveniently overlook other points I brought up:

- that the majority of households are dual income, so a man's profession/income is not a big deal

- financial habits > profession

- possibility of negative net worth

And yes, occupation does not count for anything. Financial habits and responsibility of a person does:

Take for example the income of a celebrity. The make millions of dollars a year through endorsements, record contracts, advertisements, book deals, whatever. They easily make 10-20 fold the income of a doctor, often times even more.

Consider this list of well known and respected directors, actors and musicians: Francis Ford Coppola, Walt Disney, Willie Nelson, TLC, Kim Basinger, Toni Braxton, Mike Tyson, etc. The list is longer if you look it up but you get the idea. They all pull(ed) in millions of dollars a year but another thing they have in common is that they all filed for bankruptcy due to spending more money than they were pulling in, aka being fiscally irresponsible.

If a guy is a doctor it is a respectful profession because of what it stands for. Being in the med field and hopefully to become one in the future myself, I'm reminded of that every day. However just because a man is a doctor, it does not mean financial security in a relationship. Viewing it as such is a misguided assumption.

i think both of you have a point, however, you are missing a component. although there is probably no data, i'm sure there's some sort of correlation between profession and fiscal responsibility. a person who is irresponsible is probably less likely to become a doctor or lawyer than one who is responsible. because those professions require schooling and schooling requires responsibilities. especially doctors and grad school, which requires applications, good grades, good test scores. etc.

so in general, i think it's safe to assume one who has managed to go through all that is probably more responsible with other aspects of their life, including finances, compared to someone who barely made it out of high school.

yes in general, females have a larger chance to make it up in the work place than before. HOWEVER, males are still predominantly the breadwinner because of society, and male dominance in the work place. women still have a disadvantage. there are reasons why out of the forbes 100 companies, only what, 10 of the CEOs are women?

women get paid less than men in the workplace. and there are valid reasons for this. because women are still the primary caretaker for family in most instances. because they are the one who give birth to their children. and as a future mother, i consider my interaction with my children to be greater than my future husband's. and i expect to place my children's needs, no matter how small, to be above of workplace.

however, a husband isn't going to give up their career for their child. at least it's unlikely. of course there's always the exception to the rule, but it's kind of ridiculous to think of every single exception. i'm speaking in general terms, and for myself. i'm sure there are many women who do not want children, and there are guys who uh, want to breastfeed their child. LOL. but i'm sure there's a majority of women who do want children/family.

so yes, i would care more about a guy's job, and most guys probably don't care because they want to be the breadwinner and they want their wife to manage their family well.

Guest bishie

So just copy and paste the list, then give your ratings. 1 is the lowest, 10 is the highest.

- Doctor: 10. You made it through med school so you're smart. You help make people better. What guy doesn't like that.

- School teacher: 7. You are helping educate the next generation.

- Retail associate: 2. Although you get discounts you're not building up yourself.

- Government position (any): 6. I find people in government are really risk averse. My mother is very senior in government and there are alot of people in government in this town.

- Waitress: 2. Dead end job.

- Massage therapist: 3. Although alot of massage therapists have an associates degree they also tend to view their body as a way to make money.

- Dog walker: 3. Oddly the people I know in this are fairly well off and have other jobs. You also have to have patience for dealing with animals

- Nurse: 7. You have to have empathy for this job. You are helping people get better.

- Biomedical engineer: 10. This is a very hard career to get to. You are designing the medical devices that help save people's lives. I find engineers are often shy and geeky. Which I am too but it seems to be a turnoff to alot of guys.

- Artist (writer, painter, musician): 8. I love creative people. I tend to date alot of musicians haha. That said I don't tend to respect them as much for their intellect as a Doctor or Biomedical engineer.

^^^

You're right, it does seem to take a certain type of person to be able to land a certain job. But however the point is that nonetheless there are so many factors that a lot of women don't think about when they hear a guy is a doctor. All they see is flashing $$$ signs.

As for women leaving work to have children, a lot of women go back to work after a few years when the kids are of a certain age. Some go back weeks after, some years after, and some never go back at all. Although myself I plan to take a few years to make sure their needs are taken care of. From data in 2003, 9 out of 10 women go back to work after having a child. Compared to data in the previous years, the trend is rising. The majority of households revert back to being dual income. Of course there are exceptions to the rule, as with everything else in life.

so yes, i would care more about a guy's job, and most guys probably don't care because they want to be the breadwinner and they want their wife to manage their family well.

And that's fine. I realize there are many different ways people choose to live their lives, to each their own. The thing that triggered the discussion was crazyazn's quote that " if a girl doesn't think a man's occupation is important, then she is stupid". That statement was something that I wanted to address.

imo this is really the best reply in the thread:

i don't really care what a girl does for work as long as she's happy with it and passionate about it. if she doesn't get any fulfillment out of it, i'd rather have her change careers. and i hope they would feel the same way.

As long as people are happy with their jobs, that's what matters. In effect it makes for much happier relationship and marriage no matter how high a person's salary may be.

Overall I'm done with the thread.. it's been an interesting discussion.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest 3kiys

- Doctor--you went through 10 years of study, so your possibly smarter than the guy so..[ 3 ]

but first of all, the girl would have to be at least 28..

- School teacher-- stressed out alot, but has a nice long vacation, hmmm.. [6-7]

- Retail associate--fairly ok..[6]

- Government position (any)-- nice pay, but it should be the guy that provides..[6]

- Waitress-- hmm..[3]

- Massage therapist--would i like my woman touching all sorts of people?? [1]

- Dog walker--wth, is that even a job?? [1]

- Nurse--[8]

- Biomedical engineer--?? w/e [5]

- Artist (writer, painter, musician)--turn onn..[10]

Guest naoto

- Doctor 7-impressive no doubt but my science friends are very different from my arts/business friends. I prefer to date non-science peeps.

- School teacher 5-Normally I would give 9 or 10 but teachers deal with so many problems with kids at school they always bring the problems home and I don't want that. I know you have to be a nice person to teach that is true.

- Retail associate 6-meh.

- Government position (any) 9-because that's what I want to do :)

- Waitress 8-I have no problems with this at all.

- Massage therapist 5-I don't want her touching anybody.

- Dog walker 7-low pay, but that's fine.

- Nurse 8-wonderful.

- Biomedical engineer 5-meh.

- Artist (writer, painter, musician) 10-perfect.

10-dog walker

9-biomedical engineer

8-school teacher

7-doctor

6-nurse

5-massage therapist

4-waitress

3-government position

2-retail associate

1-artist (they starve too long before they actually become successful; not a guaranteed profession)

Guest Champagne*kisses

Hey that's not true :ph34r: I think it just depends on what kind of nurse she is...the nurses in the family practices are always cheery :lol: I interned in the fall in a surgery room and sometimes people did die on you but really just depends on you personally. A lot of the nurses can put aside their work when they leave and not let it interfere with their daily lives- there's really only a handful that brings the mood of the work with them...LOLL~

agreed ^_^

Being one myself and having other family members and friends who are nurses as well, we don't really bring the mood from work into our personal life :huh:

Yeah there are a few that do but can't say it is all of us.

• 1 year later...
Guest Junichi

<br />Biomedical engineering is the  field of engineering where you have highest percentage of female graduates comparatively to other fields . They also earn some serious money in this field . <br />

A friend of mine went info biomedical engineering. Right now he's working with a pharmaceutical company that makes insulin from

bacterias that has human DNA embedded to them. Of course they use these insulin for diabetes.

Doctor degree is pretty attractive. But I'm more interested in girls who can think outside of the box. Like a computer engineer or a

female mechanic. I graduated with a computer science degree and there wasn't even one girl in my department that graduated with me.

In fact, I think there were only like two girls in my calculus III / differential equation / advance linear algebra I and II / advance algorithm classes.

Female hackers are a myth ...

Guest hippocampus

I dig -female engineers as well. I prefer them to be in physical sciences more so than biological sciences. Math and physics turn me on.

Guest nobody knows

dang

did not think that that many guys liked artists

I'm glad I'm an art student now hahaha

and a business student :x

Guest aiyan

Why was this thread revived? I was reading it, and to my surprise saw one of my posts from two years ago! XD

This thread has been interesting anyhow. ^_^

Archived