How To Start Conversations

Guest cocopuffs

Guest oh tangerine x

i like meeting new people, but sometimes it's hard to know what to say.

so i usually come up with a random question haha.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Oh, where'd you get that? It's so cute." (gestures to some random accessory or article of clothing)

And then... I'm just STUCK.

Or else I try asking questions about the person just to make conversation but I'm clearly not interested so things get awkward fast.

My replies are usually, "Oh. That's so great."

*nodding my head a little

*starts looking off to the side

*checks the time

*total silence

• 4 weeks later...
Guest bluangrene

hi my name is...what is yours???

after that what ever comes into my head...

then if they reply me and not ignore me after all random things that comes out of my mouth then it would be

...hey wanna be friends...it's okay to say no.. i don't bite =)

i normally talk to people that is around my age (early teens =]) so there is normally a lot to talk about

Guest o w o ♥

''Hey, what's your name?''

Don't ask about what they like straight away because then that person will think your weird.

I'd talk about subjects from school first and how they're going, don't complain about them. They'll think your dumb.

If they start complaining, agree with them so you have something to talk about.

Maybe tell some jokes you know and have a bit of a laugh.

Keep going for about a minute and they'll eventually talk to you and start topic's.

BTW Music is a boring subject to talk about so don't you dare ask.

i absolutely suck at starting conversations.

usually, i just ask "so how's school? (:" they answer and then *silence*

Guest cannotfindserver

i'm not really the one who usually starts a conversation especially not with total strangers. i don't like forcing it coz it'll only get awkward later. sometimes the stranger and I just get along to a topic. sometimes it starts with the stranger asking me a simple question and then it goes from there.

• 4 years later...

I have similar problem, but I would say in general with adults or at work, you shake the person's hand and introduce yourself. I always like to ask other people questions since I find that I'm not good at talking about myself, but if you can get other person to start talking about themselves then you can can start talking about yourself with topics related based on what they said. Like maybe they talked about living in a certain area or traffic on the way..etc. then you can relate to those stories as well. Believe me I was totally shy growing up or a loner and I liked it that way. But in college I was in a new place and a new start and new people. I opened myself up with classmates and it turned into friendships. It's hard now that I'm working and there aren't that many people at work let alone people my age to befriend. Just wait until you have to go through job interviews, I'm still nervous/awkward then too.
I wish I had my mom's personality. She makes friends everywhere she goes, never stops talking.

Guest vampedia

Maybe my blood type personality video can help you.I recently uploaded, how to improve your socializing with others.Click HERE, if you are interested.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest jolive213

cocopuffs said: with new people you meetWhenever I meet new people, iunno how to start a conversations so it's usually only silence xD

What kinds of topics do you talk to new people/friends about to keep an ongoing convo? image

Guest venialia

Honestly, the best way to start a conversation with a girl is, "Sooo... I heard you've had a period before. How's that like?" And with a guy, "Sooo... I heard you sometimes get boners. How's that like?" Opening up to their personal problems is always the way to go! 

Guest wishy-star

After all the formalities I like to ask "If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go?"Everyone wants to travel and it usually opens up a flood of other little questions too! 

Guest mistersoup

Like this
" Hi, I am so Lost, what am I doing here? Can you guys give me directions to where I'm going?"

Archived