Jang Dong Gun 장동건

Admin

November 3, 2010

Jang Dong-gun Promoting In Hollywood

Source: KBS Global

e_101103_01.jpg

Jang Dong-gun has officially entered Hollywood and is starting his active promotional activities!

One of Korea's most recognized actors, Jang has been invited to make an appearance at the Pacific Media Expo 2010 in Pasadena, California with director Lee Seung-moo. He will be staying in the US for a period of six days, giving interviews with American media and press and holding fan meetings.

The project that has officially opened the door for Jang into Hollywood is "The Warrior's Way", starring Kate Bosworth, Geoffrey Rush, Danny Huston, and Tony Cox. It's about a powerful warrior who sees a baby left behind during a fight and decides to change his ways. He moves and settles in the eastern parts of the US, trying to live a quiet life until a group of antagonists come and disrupt the peace.

The film will be hitting about 1,500 screens in the US starting on December 2nd. It will then hit Korean theatres the following day.

November 7, 2010

EXCLUSIVE: 'Speed 2' Producer Looks East for 'Warrior's Way'

by Jonathan Landreth hollywoodreporter.com

Michael Peyser's movie, which stars Korean hunk Jang Dong-gun, Kate Bosworth and Tony Cox, will get distribution in U.S. day-and-date with Korean premiere.

The Warrior's Way, a fantasy-action film in which ninjas battle cowboys in America's Badlands, was written, produced and directed in English by Koreans, stars Korean hunk Jang Dong-gun, Kate Bosworth and Tony Cox, the foul-mouthed midget from Bad Santa. It was made for about $40 million after New Zealand subsidies.

This modern, multicultural mashup would appear to some to be a shift in the career of Hollywood producer Michael Peyser. But then again, Peyser -- producer of films such as U2 3D, Woody Allen's Purple Rose of Cairo and Speed 2 with Keanu Reeves -- has a broad and active imagination, one that lately has turned East, thanks perhaps in part to the ranks of Asian students who enroll in his cinema class at USC.

"Hollywood is the fancy restaurant, but there's no reason we can't have branches all over the world," said Peyser, who describes Warrior's, the film he co-produced with Lee Joo-ick and Barrie Osborne, as being set "somewhere between Sergio Leone and Baz Lurhmann."

Delayed by the financial downturn and then rescued by Ryan Kavanaugh's Relativity Media, Warrior's, from newcomer writer-director Sngmoo Lee, will get distribution on 1,500-2,000 screens across the U.S. on Dec. 3, day-and-date with its Korean premiere. "We want the fanboys and gamers to say this is way cool," Peyser said, noting that his 16-year-old daughter and her friends already like what they've seen. "The girls will love it because not only is there a girl hero, but they'll want to go around the corner with our star Dong-gun. He's a hunka hunka burnin' love. A new Clint Eastwood, a new Johnny Depp."

Jang, the Seoul-born actor who earned critics' praise for his 2000 portrayal of a high schooler who joins the mob in Friend, speaks English well enough to be headed to L.A. for a Nov. 14 appearance at the Beverly Hilton and the Regency Westside Pavilion with co-stars Bosworth and Geoffrey Rush.

"The film's all in English, but there's not a lot of yappin'," Peyser said. "You're not lost if you don't understand English," Kathy Morgan is selling Warrior's at AFM and Relativity will spend $15 million-$20 million on P&A, Peyser said, adding that he expects Korean distributor SKT to gross at least $20 million. Warrior" will release through Alliance in Canada.

Peyser, a transplanted New Yorker and self-proclaimed 3D expert ("Unfortunately, I'm one of only 10 people in the world who really knows anything about it"), is proud to have found a way to transport his career in Hollywood around the globe to Korea and New Zealand. He next plans to spend more time in other Eastern markets where growth is strong.

This despite a disappointment in 2007 in India: Peyser, Osbourne, 3D modeler John LaBrie and FX supervisor Madhusudhanan set up Geon Studios in Bollywood only to walk away after differences with local partner Sahara Studios.

Undaunted, Peyser's looking now at China. After a U.S.-China film summit that drew 500 guests to the Writers Guild Theater on the eve of AFM, Peyser cornered the head of the China Film Co-Production Corp. after a panel discussion that also included the former head of 20th Century Fox.

"Everybody else was trying to talk with Bill Mechanic, but I went right up to Zhang Xun and said, 'I don't speak Chinese, but it's really, really nice to meet you,' " Peyser recalled. "Everybody should be really nice to Madame Zhang. Beyond packing the house, she's going to be paying the bills for the next 50 years."

Peyser expects to be in Shanghai in May -- for what, exactly, he's not quite ready to say.

November 12, 2010

JANG Dong-gun’s The Warrior’s Way gets U.S. release

David Oxenbridge <KOFIC>

The long gestating The Warrior’s Way is finally coming to the big screen with a release in the U.S. The multinational cast who play within the film’s fantastical narrative include Korea superstar JANG Dong-gun (Friend 2001), Kate Bosworth (Superman Returns 2006) and Geoffrey Rush (Shine 1996). G Don-gun joins a host of other Korean actors such as LEE Byung-hun (GI Joe 2009) and Rain (Ninja Assassin2009) who have been making inroads into Hollywood and other English speaking markets of late.

JANG plays Yang, the world’s greatest swordsman, who leaves his home with baby in tow and settles in the Wild West. as a lowly laundry worker in a small town he soon comes in conflict with a gang of vicious thugs who threaten the town and Yang’s hidden identity. his forced to abandon his washing and again pick up his sword and lead the town to battle.

Not only the US$40 million budget but also significant expectation has been invested in the film’s success. ambitious project includes a multi-ethnic cast, a broad genre traversing narrative and is also a multi-national project that was shot in New Zealand with Korea and the U.S. sharing co-production credits. film has taken over two years to reach the big screen since shooting wrapped up in the beginning of 2008. The film is produced by Michael Peyser (Speed 2 1997), LEE Joo-ik (Late Autumn 2010) and Barrie Osborne (The Rings Trilogy 2001,2002,2003) and is being distributed in the U.S. by Relativity Media. film will be released simultaneously in the U.S. and Korea on December 2.

coming201011112308370.jpg

The Warrior's Way to get simultaneous Korea-US release

Nigel D’Sa (KOFIC)

Unveiled earlier this autumn at the Pusan Internationa this l Film Festival, the US $40 million Korea – New Zealand co-production The Warrior’s Way gears up for a simultaneous release in Korea and the U.S. on Dec 2nd.

With Korea’s pan-Asian star JANG Dong-gun in the lead, the fantasy-western is directed by first-timer Sngmoo LEE and produced by Lord of the Ringstrilogy producer Barrie Osbourne. The film co-stars Hollywood actress Kate Bosworth (Superman Returns), playing JANG’s love-interest and marks one of the first cross-cultural romances depicted in a commercial Korean feature.

The film also stars Geoffrey Rush and Danny Huston and was shot in New Zealand using facilities and crew from Osbourne’s Rings trilogy. The film’s soundtrack is by Javier Navarette, who scored the award-winning 2006 Spanish feature Pan’s Labyrinth. Actor JANG plays an Asian warrior who gives up his killing ways to seek peace and love in a quiet western township, until trouble tracks him down.

Guest kdramafanusa

The Warrior's Way on Friday (November 19) at L.A.'s CGV Cinemas

katebosworthwarriorscre.jpg 

katebosworthwarriorscre.jpg

~

Kate Bosworth: 'Warrior's Way' Junket with Jang Dong-gun

kate-bosworth-warriors-junket.jpg 

Kate Bosworth and her The Warrior’s Way co-star, Korean actor Jang Dong-gun, attend the film’s junket panel on Thursday (November 18) at the Landmark Theatre in Los Angeles.

The fantasy action film follows Dong-gun’s character, an Asian warrior assassin forced to hide in a small town in the American Badlands.

WATCH: The Warrior’s Way Trailer

In case you missed it, check out stills from the film, out December 3, featuring Kate and Dong-gun in action!

Read more: http://justjared.buz.../#ixzz15tJtYsEX

katebosworthwarriorsjun.jpg 

Guest kdramafanusa

I like the one he was talking with Kate Bosworth. He looks tall and confident. Btw, is she really 27 years old?

You are right. :)  I just looked up her birthday (January 2, 1983).

Returning to Korea (November 21)

2010112201002128300127521.jpg

2010112201002128400127531.jpg 

2010112201002130400128031.jpg

2010112201002130600128051.jpg

2010112201002130700128061.jpg 

2010112201002131200128111.jpg

2010112201002130800128071.jpg 

SportsChosun

Guest kdramafanusa

[yonhap news]

Hollywood movie 'The Warrior's Way'

PYH2010112207710034400_P2.jpg

Nov. 22, SEOUL, South Korea -- The stars of the new hollywood movie "The Warrior's Way" -- Kate Bosworth ©, Jang Dong-gun (L) -- along with director Lee Seung-moo ® exit a publicity event in Seoul on Nov. 22. The movie, which depicts a warrior named Yang who is forced to hide in a small town in the American badlands, will be released in South Korea on Dec. 2. (Yonhap)

Hollywood star Kate Bosworth and S. Korean actor Jang Dong-gun

PYH2010112207580034400_P2.jpg

Nov. 22, SEOUL, South Korea -- U.S. actress Kate Bosworth and South Korean actor Jang Dong-gun, who star in the new movie "The Warrior's Way," respond to reporters' questions during a publicity event in Seoul on Nov. 22. The movie, which depicts a warrior named Yang who is forced to hide in a small town in the American badlands, will be released in South Korea on Dec. 2. (Yonhap)

Hollywood movie 'The Warrior's Way'

PYH2010112207620034400_P2.jpg

Nov. 22, SEOUL, South Korea -- The stars of the new hollywood movie "The Warrior's Way" -- Kate Bosworth ©, Jang Dong-gun ® -- along with director Lee Seung-moo (L) -- pose for a photo during a publicity event in Seoul on Nov. 22. The movie, which depicts a warrior named Yang who is forced to hide in a small town in the American badlands, will be released in South Korea on Dec. 2. (Yonhap)

Hollywood star Kate Bosworth and S. Korean actor Jang Dong-gun

PYH2010112207600034400_P2.jpg

Nov. 22, SEOUL, South Korea -- U.S. actress Kate Bosworth and South Korean actor Jang Dong-gun, who star in the new movie "The Warrior's Way," pose for a photo during a publicity event in Seoul on Nov. 22. The movie, which depicts a warrior named Yang who is forced to hide in a small town in the American badlands, will be released in South Korea on Dec. 2. (Yonhap)

sooo handsome...

2010112117575910031.jpg

November 23, 2010

The Warrior’s Way’ flashes its mettle

The heat is on Jang Dong-gun, the first Korean actor to star in a major Hollywood film.

22211242.jpg

The highly anticipated film “The Warrior’s Way” was finally released to local media yesterday at a press screening in southern Seoul.

Led by renowned Hollywood producer Barrie M. Osborne, whose works include “The Lord of the Rings” trilogy and “The Matrix” (1999), this computer graphic-heavy Hollywood film has created a great deal of buzz because of its stellar creative team, which includes art director Dan Hennah, who participated in the 2005 version of “King Kong,” and visual-effects art director Christian Rivers, who worked on The Lord of the Rings.

The global cast of A-list actors includes American actress Kate Bosworth and Australian actor Geoffrey Rush. Bosworth plays Lynne, a lady who dreams of killing her enemy, while Rush portrays a former cowboy who is now a drunk.

But what makes this film special for Korean moviegoers is the presence of Korean actor Jang Dong-gun, who is making his Hollywood debut in this film.

Jang got his start in the television drama “Our Heaven” in 1993. Since then, he has risen to superstardom here with roles in hit films such as “Tae Guk Gi: The Brotherhood of War” (2004) and “Friend” (2001).

The film is directed by first-time Korean-American filmmaker Sngmoo Lee, who said the most difficult part of the production process was creating a unique setting entirely through the use of CG techniques.

“I didn’t want to remind viewers of a particular country, because this is an action fantasy film,” he said. “We had to create a fantastic and dreamy world, but it’s all make-believe.”

The film tells the story of a lonely swordsman (Jang) who hides in a small town and learns how to build a relationship with the townspeople.

Even though most people may assume that having to speak in English is the most difficult part of Jang’s new role, Jang said the hardest part was starting all over again in Hollywood,

“Of course it wasn’t easy to act while speaking a different language, but the more challenging thing was that I had to prove myself to people who have no idea about me and what I can do,” Jang told reporters at the press screening.

Jang is not the first Korean actor to cross into Hollywood. Lee Byung-hun played a supporting role in “G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra” in 2009 and is also scheduled to appear in the sequel. Singer-actor Rain appeared in “Ninja Assassin,” also in 2009.

But whereas his fellow actors were cast in supporting roles, Jang is the star of this film, which was reported to have a production budget of $100 million. That means the pressure is all on him.

It also probably doesn’t help that the film has a rare scene in which an Asian man kisses a Caucasian woman.

While that scene, and Jang’s role, could change perceptions of Asian men overseas, some say that Asian actors have a long way to go before that happens.

“Jackie Chan is a huge star in Hollywood and his image as a comedic and action star is what Westerners expect of Asian men - whether they are Chinese or Korean,” said Yu Ji-na, a movie critic and film professor. “There is this fixed idea of what an Asian actor can do. If Korean actors want to appear as something other than a warrior, it’s going to be very hard.”

Culture critic Jeong Deok-hyun agrees.

“I think there should be a wider range of roles for Asian men,” Jeong said. “To change the stereotype that Asian actors face, Korean filmmakers should try to produce a variety of films.”

The Warrior’s Way opens on Dec. 2 at theaters nationwide and on Dec. 3 in the United States.

By Sung So-young [so@joongang.co.kr]

Credit : JoongAngDaily

http://joongangdaily.joins.com/article/view.asp?aid=2928703

Guest kdramafanusa

Yonap News 2010/11/22 22:04 KST

'Warrior's Way' breaks East-West stereotypes

By Kim Hyun

SEOUL, Nov. 22 (Yonhap) -- Making his Hollywood debut with fantasy action "The Warrior's Way," Korean actor Jang Dong-gun said Monday that his biggest challenge was not the language but the self-imposed pressure to prove himself to the Western audience.

Jang plays a warrior-assassin, Yang, who is forced to hide in a small, barren town after refusing to obey a brutal mission.

Also starring Kate Bosworth and Geoffrey Rush and written and directed by Korean director Lee Sngmoo, The Warrior's Way is a rare cross-cultural production where Korea and Hollywood combined their talent and technology.

"I've been in films where I spoke in Chinese and Japanese, but it was the first time I did it in English," Jang, who teamed up with Chinese director Chen Kaige for fantasy flick "The Promise" in 2008, among others, said after The Warrior's Way premiered in Seoul.

"Previously, I worked with staff and actors who are familiar with Jang Dong-gun as an actor. But this movie was going to be seen by the people who don't know me at all. I had to prove myself again from scratch to the actors and the staff when shooting the film."

AEN20101122008300315_01_i.jpg

Kate Bosworth and Jang Dong-gun pose for the camera in Seoul on Nov. 22. (Yonhap)

Yang unexpectedly finds a kindred spirit in Lynne (Bosworth), a rough and spunky circus knife thrower with a painful secret, and begins to open up to the town folks, learning to play, dance and enjoy life. But the peace doesn't last long, with the return of miscreants, led by the deadly Colonel (Danny Huston).

As with the actors, there is a visually intriguing combination of the West and the East in the way bullets fly and warriors clash. While the Western gang uses cannons and wild horses, Eastern warriors, mysteriously wrapped in black overcoats and pyramid-shaped hats, execute powerful martial arts kicks and effortlessly jump their way around.

But the film's true beauty is not only its visual spectacle. The way it builds Yang's character -- a boy trained only in the art of the sword, who had to kill his one friend, a puppy, as a way to deaden his heart -- is a powerful story on humanity.

Bosworth, who starred in "Superman Returns" (2006) and "21" (2008), said the Warrior was a unique experience and that she wanted to repeat it.

"I hope that Korea is proud of this film because I'm confident that the rest of world will embrace this movie and be thrilled and excited by how unique and beautiful it is," she said.

For Bosworth, playing a Western tomboy was a natural fit.

The star was "getting more and more dirt in my fingernails and yellowing my teeth as much as possible" to deliver her role, but it fit her "because I grew up more of a tomboy than anything. I wasn't really very girly when I was growing up."

Director Lee said he wanted to draw an "entirely different world" that has the feel of both fantasy and reality.

"To create a world that has not been seen in any other film was the most interesting and difficult challenge of this film," he said.

"It would have been easier if it was entirely a fantasy. But this film also had to carry the genuine hearts of the characters," he said. "It's set in the East, but I wanted to avoid relating the film to a specific country. The moment the image of a specific country comes up, be it Korea, Japan or China, the fantasy and the progressiveness we wanted to create would crumble away. We wanted to creat an Asia of our own."

The film, co-produced by Barrie M. Osborne, who also produced "The Lord of the Rings," will be released in Korea on Dec. 2 and in the United States on Dec. 3 (local time).

hkim@yna.co.kr

(END)

Kate Bosworth and Danny Huston Interview THE WARRIOR’S WAY

by Christina Radish Posted:November 23rd, 2010 at 1:14 pm

With The Warrior’s Way, writer/director Sngmoo Lee has crafted a tale that explores both Eastern and Western cultures and traditions. In the film, Yang (Jang Dong Gun) is a warrior hero from the East who undertakes an epic journey, meeting other wounded souls along the way. One of those souls is Lynne (Kate Bosworth), a free-spirited carnival knife-thrower who has survived an unthinkable tragedy, in a way that is very reminiscent of a cowgirl from the Old West. When these two cross paths, their chemistry is undeniable, even though they are totally ill-equipped to deal with their feelings, and they work together to defeat the Colonel (Danny Huston), who has been after Lynne since she permanently disfigured his face in an attempt to keep him from raping her when she was just 12 years old.

At the press day for the film, co-stars Kate Bosworth and Danny Huston talked about being attracted to this original fable, training for all of the physical work they do in the film, and working with Korean superstar Jang Dong Gun. Check out what they had to say after the jump.

For more on The Warrior’s Way, you can watch five clips here.

What was it that excited you about doing this film?

KATE BOSWORTH: For me, it started with the screenplay. I was sent the screenplay, and I had never read anything like it. It was incredibly original and really a collision of different genres, all mixed into one. I was just very attracted to the uniqueness of the project. It’s a real kaleidoscope of many different elements, but there’s a very strong through-line of good versus evil and that love conquers all. The dichotomy of the complexity on one hand, and then the simplicity on the other, and a real beautiful poetry interwoven through the whole project, was what was most attractive.

DANNY HUSTON: It’s a fable, in essence, and it’s beautifully, exquisitely told with these Western touches of Sergio Leone and all the interesting Westerns that were made. Our lead is like a Clint Eastwood. There’s this wonderful romantic thread to it that was very exciting to read.

What kind of training did you do, in order to be able to do your own stunt work on the film?

BOSWORTH: We just went into a room and started knocking each other to mini cooper.

HUSTON: I worked with a stunt girl, and Kate worked with a stunt guy. We had a certain amount of time, but not a lot. We felt we could have had more. But, that created a certain anticipation and adrenalin, so when we actually went to shoot the scenes, we were challenging each other for the first time. We knew, more or less, what the dance would be like, but there’s a lot of trust involved, especially when you’ve got somebody like me with a big mask on and not able to see out of one eye, swinging a large sword at you. It’s a real dance. We pushed it as much as we could and we’re proud that it made it into the film, and they didn’t have to cut away to stunt people too much. Maybe 90% to 95% is us.

BOSWORTH: So much of those action sequences were essential to the character’s development, especially between myself and Dong Gun, and that romantic, frantic, wild lead-up to their kiss. I feel like it had to be he and I because it was so essential to their development. And then, similarly, but on the completely other side of the coin, the scene between Danny and I was that moment for both of them, facing off and fulfilling this obsessive attraction to each other. We wanted to do as much as possible, for those reasons.

HUSTON: And, we’re not hanging off of wires or anything. We really did it.

Did anyone get hurt or injured during the fight scenes?

HUSTON: Yes. Usually when you’re working, you don’t really feel what’s going on physically. It’s more when you go back home and you’re like, “My god!,” and you wear the wounds or bruises with a certain amount of pride.

BOSWORTH: When you’re working through the scenes, you’re working on such adrenalin. And then, later, you’re like, “Oh, god, my back hurts. Where did that come from?” Your entire arm can be bruised up, but you don’t even think about it while you’re working.

HUSTON: We had a break over Christmas that broke up that whole sequence and helped us. And, it was very, very hot. It was New Zealand at Christmas, which is summer there and it was extraordinarily hot, for some reason. But, that kind of physical challenge is fun.

With all of the green screen, did you ever lose track of what you were supposed to be seeing or doing?

BOSWORTH: The whole film was shot on this vast stage. There were bits of sets, but the entire thing was covered in neon green, so what we were surviving with was the costumes. The costumes really gave us some kind of visual aid, as to where we were, in terms of character development and physically what would be around us because it was literally a black canvas. We would often say, “What’s happening over there?” It was exciting to see it come together. I think Sngmoo Lee did such a beautiful job.

HUSTON: All of my cowboy guys were full of grit and dirt, and when they came on stage it was astonishing because it was packed with horses..

Does it bring you closer together as performers, when you only have each other to rely on?

HUSTON: I think so, yes, very much. In a way, all actors are gypsies, or much like a traveling circus. So, here we all were, in New Zealand, working on this extraordinary film, and it was easy for us to feel a kinship.

BOSWORTH: We were in New Zealand, which is so far away from everything. Sometimes we would just look around at these crazy costumes on this empty stage and be like, “Well, we’re here together.” You can spiral into a little bit of madness sometimes. I know I did.

Being a Korean filmmaker, did you notice a difference in the director’s approach?

HUSTON: He was very specific, very clear and very concise about what he wanted. At times, there were misunderstandings. Especially with green screen and not really knowing what it is that you’re looking at, you really depend on the director to create that world for you.

BOSWORTH: Also, the nuance of emotion would sometimes be difficult to understand. He would say to me, “I think she’s very angry in this scene,” and I would say, “Oh, wow, that’s quite an intense emotion.” And then, I would play it and he’d say, “Not so angry,” and I’d say, “Frustrated?,” and he’d say, “Yeah, frustrated.” So, it was like an umbrella of an emotion and finding the tentacles of exactly what it was that he was specifically looking for. It was often a challenge, but when you got there, you felt successful finding that specificity together.

Working with a first time director, how much creative involvement did you get to have with your character development?

HUSTON: There was a certain amount of freedom for interpretation, but the character was very clearly delineated. He had a particular world that he was creating around us, so there was little control that I had, in regards to what that world would be. I had no idea what he was going to actually give me.

BOSWORTH: The only head-butt I had on the look of my character was the hair. I wanted her to be a redhead, and I was hellbent on that. I was like, “How can you have this fierce, fiery, crazy, feral woman in the middle of a desert with jet black hair? I love jet black hair, but she has to be a redhead.” So, I fought tooth and nail for that, but I won that battle. It’s very distinct. I had such a romantic idea of her, and I thought it really worked. It really helped define her for me. I know that sounds strange, but with the physicality, sometimes you can get hooked on something that’s important.

Kate, how did you approach establishing the chemistry with Jang Dong Gun?

BOSWORTH: With Dong Gun’s character, we liked each other so much when we first met that it was very easy to get along. The relationship was pretty well planned and structured on the page, and we rehearsed a lot because he wanted to get his English as perfect as possible, so we got to know each other pretty well. It was easy to find that connection with each other and bring it to the screen.

It wasn’t a challenge at all.

What was it like to work with the Korean Brad Pitt?

BOSWORTH: I feel like he loved being in New Zealand so much because he was anonymous for one of the first times in his life, and he just couldn’t believe it. We really felt like we were clinging on the edge of the world in New Zealand.

HUSTON: He’s a very cool cat and working with him was a joy. Mainly, my character was just terrified of him, so there was not a lot of interaction. More than anything, I just run away, as quickly as I can. But, observing him work, I couldn’t help but notice how cool he is and what a gentlemen he is. He’s very reserved.

BOSWORTH: He’s very polite and very sensitive of other people.

credit to:collider.com

Aw, she knows him so well. Love her!

Kate Bosworth says filming with Jang Dong-gun new but not different

2010112318055300597_1.jpg

Hollywood actress Kate Bosworth has said working on film "The Warrior's Way," helmed by a Korean director and starring a Korean actor, was a new experience but not a different one.

Bosworth made the remark during a press screening for the film in Seoul on Monday while speaking to reporters about the pic directed by Sngmoo Lee and featuring Jang Dong-gun as the main character.

"Hollywood is like a group of abandoned gypsies -- it's a hodge-podge melting pot of people so I feel like I’ve come across different culture and societies in different films I’ve done," the actress started by saying.

She then explained, "I felt we were starting from the positive launching pad of wanting to make a beautiful unique movie so I didn’t really feel a difference from working on other Hollywood movies."

Bosworth rather said the movie itself was "like untreaded water" with it being "a cross-cultural cross-genre visual extravaganza of a fable."

"I felt that the script was unique, it was really something that hasn't been seen before....... So I went into this film open-minded, not knowing what to expect," she explained.

In "The Warrior's Way," director Lee incorporates fantasy and comic book-like elements into the story about an Asian swordsman named Yang, played by Jang, who flees to a forgotten American town in the West to escape his bloody past but gets caught up in a battle with a local group of bandits and then the warrior clan that trained him.

Bosworth plays Lynne, a dirt-covered knife thrower who will not hesitate to lunge herself at every chance she has to take down the leader of the bandit who killed her family but the actress said she "very much embraced" the "rough, tumbly, spunky and firey" character.

"I grew up more of a tomboy and I was an equestrian when I was six so in terms of the action sequences, I don’t shy away from physicality," she remarked with a smile.

"The Warrior's Way," produced by Barrie Osborne of "The Lord of the Rings" and "The Matrix" series and also starring Hollywood actors Geoffrey Rush and Danny Houston, is set for simultaneous release in Korea and the U.S. on December 2.

Jessica Kim jesskim@

<ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved>

http://10.asiae.co.kr/Articles/new_view.htm?sec=ent0&a_id=2010112319033147666

Jang Dong-gun brings Asian vibe to Hollywood

1011021401(2).jpg

1011021402.jpg

By Lee Hyo-won

This is not your typical Western. In a village swallowed up by sandstorms, a lone Asian swordsman — rather than a gun-trotting cowboy — awaits a final showdown with his foe.

This is Jang Dong-gun, playing a mysterious assassin from the Far East who is forced to hide in the American badlands in the Barrie M. Osborne (“Lord of the Rings”)-produced movie “Warrior’s Way.” The $40 million project co-stars “Superman Returns” sweetheart Kate Bosworth as Jang’s love interest and Academy Award-winning actor Geoffrey Rush (“Pirates of the Caribbean”) as an alcoholic villager.

“It was the biggest challenge for me,” Jang told reporters about his Hollywood debut piece, following the press preview Monday at Coex, southern Seoul. Having worked in Chinese and Japanese before, language was not so much of a problem — it was rather a struggle within that presented a challenge.

“I had to work with staff and for an audience who are not quite familiar with me, so I had to prove myself anew. But the challenges that an actor faces are quite simple. You meet the audience through the screen, and it’s ultimately just you and the camera. You have to deliver something genuine the moment you’re acting.”

Jang seems to have demonstrated his capacity as an actor in full — “I’m absolutely mad about him,” Bosworth said about her co-star during her first visit to Korea. “As soon as I met Dong-gun I was so happy to know that I would have a scene partner who is so willing to collaborate and excited to find the kind of magic dust you’re aiming to get in every scene.”

She was, moreover, inspired by Jang. “I learned a lot from him. As Westerners what we love to do is to be bigger and comedic (in our acting). And Dong-gun gave such a stoic, beautiful, elegant performance... Geoffrey (Rush), Danny (Huston) and I would do our thing and then sit and watch him breeze in and perform so elegantly, beautifully yet emotive, and we were I think all sitting there a little envious of him,” the actress said, adding that she hopes to collaborate with Jang again in the future.

Bosworth also expressed great enthusiasm in working with first-time director Lee Sngmoo. “Sngmoo is wonderfully specific in what he wanted, and that’s what you hope to get in the most seasoned filmmaker.”

She was drawn to the script that Lee penned because it was unique.

“I’ve never seen anything like it before. It’s like a fable, a cross-cultural, cross-genre visual extravaganza... It’s bold, unique and has a certain poetry to it and Sngmoo brought it out so authentically and delicately.”

The director said he wanted to create a novel fantasy world that was believable, and thus introduced mystical Asian warriors that were not culture-specific. He did however suggest using the traditional Korean percussion music “samulnori” in the soundtrack.

“This is not a movie geared at introducing Korea to the world. I used the music by Kim Duk-soo not so much because it was Korean as much as it was simply great music.” The result is thus a memorable interplay between roaring machine guns and rhythmic percussion instruments.

The action-heavy film enabled the actors to engage in tough scenes. “In the West, Asian actors are mainly known for their martial arts skills, but Korean actors also have a talent in acting. I played my role hoping to show that Korean actors can pull off both action and drama,” said Jang.

Bosworth, an equestrian, said she thoroughly enjoyed her tomboyish role and pulling off the “ballet choreography”-like action sequences herself.

“I don’t think there are so many opportunities for female actors to get down and dirty... I don’t shy away from physicality.”

Jang complimented the actress. “I had a preconceived notion that Hollywood stars are fussy and snobby, but Kate proved me wrong. She is very mature for her age and is very deep, and knows the virtue of humility.”

“Warrior’s Way” opens in theaters nationwide on Dec. 12, the same day as in North America. Distributed by SK Telecom.

Credit : Korea Times

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/art/2010/11/141_76816.html

10asia_logo01.gif

November 25, 2010

[iNTERVIEW] Actor Jang Dong-gun

Lee Seung-Han fourteen @ Photographer: Lee Jin-hyuk eleven @ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim @, Jang Kyung-Jin three @

<Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia 1 l 2 l 3

2010112510233400304_1.jpg

Jang Dong-gun [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

Throughout a time span of three years, the title to Jang Dong-gun's upcoming Hollywood debut film changed from "Sand Warrior" to "Laundry Warrior" and to the current "The Warrior's Way." And during that time, Jang silently waited for the film to wrap up post-production and set a distributor. That is even more so why fans and industry have been curious to how he feels about the movie whose release date has finally been set for December 2 but to him, "The Warrior's Way" was more about how well he fulfills his duties as an actor representing Korea rather than his excitement over the film being released in Hollywood. Below are excerpts from the press interview held after the screening for the film set for a release on December 2.

10: Have you read any of the reviews that people have posted on the Internet of "The Warrior's Way" after watching it at the screening?

Jang Dong-Gun: Not all of them but I Heard people's Opinion Split on IT is. (Laugh) I did expect the movie to somewhat appeal only to certain tastes because it doesn't deliver any particular message or show the meaning to life. I even thought some people may not like it. My wife joked that she thought I'd had a hard time filming the action sequences but that it rather looks like I had fun dating (Kate Bosworth). (Laugh)

10: Your swordsman skills in the movie was impressive. For how long did you practice?

Jang: For Six months but Closer to Four IT's Actually Hurt Because I got midway. And I'm supposed to be Asia's best warrior but not one that displays fancy skills like actors Jet Li and Donnie Yen do in their movies. I paid more attention to making my character look more classy, even if he may swing his sword once, to show that he's someone with a lot of experience.

10: Wasn't it hard playing your part in English?

Jang: I DID have an easier Talk Time Because My Character does not just START with are to Lot. (Laugh) And I had a coach for my pronunciation but I was taught how to pronounce my words in accordance to my character being a warrior from the East, not so that I would speak in an accent that would be easy for Americans to understand. So everyday, I would practice my swordsman skills in the day and my lines in the evening. It wouldn't make sense if I couldn't pull off my lines when I've been given six months. (Laugh)

2010112510233400304_2.jpg

Scenes from "The Warrior's Way" [sK Telecom]

10: The movie was in post-production for over two years so it must feel different to watch your acting from back then.

Jang: Back then I do think I look Younger. (Laugh) But I see some things that I'm embarrassed about and where I could have done better. Of course, it's not to the extent that it feels like I'm watching a TV series I shot when I was in my twenties, but there are scenes I feel I would have played my part differently if I were given the chance to shoot it again now. Both myself and the audience have waited a long time for the movie to be released but I was told we didn't wait that long for a movie that hasn't been shot by a Hollywood studio.

10: You'll be taking your first step into Hollywood with this movie. Do you think the end-product that you see has been worth the long wait?

Jang: The movie had been Originally targeted at specific audience ares. But we couldn't do that once the movie got bigger from increased investment. It became a film which is less deep but can appeal to a wider audience. I'm not saying that's bad. (Laugh) It's just that there are some things which ended up being different from what I had originally expected. It would have been even better if the movie had a higher degree of completion but I'm satisfied with the product in general. And my character has pretty much stayed the same from who he was in the original script.

10: When you say that it was a film that a specific audience would have liked, are you saying it was supposed to me more cruel and maniac?

Jang: That's right. I thought of Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino's movies when I talked to the director for the first time after receiving the script for the movie. I felt that it would be extremely unique. Extremely cruel but not too dark. I think those parts have been diminished a lot.

10: Asian actors are usually seen as the ones who play roles in action movies but in "The Warrior's Way," the element of romance is just as important as the action.

Jang: In The U.S., Asian Actors are usually perceived as 'Action Actors.' I want to be seen as an actor who is not only good at the action sequences but rather as an actor who can 'also' pull off action sequences and someone who can play various types of characters. After filming the kissing scene with Kate, I heard that it's rare that an Asian actor would shoot such a scene with a mainstream Hollywood actress. So I feel that I've taken a step towards expanding the range of characters Asian actors can play.

2010112510233400304_3.jpg

Jang Dong-gun [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

10: You must've been approached by several filmmakers in Hollywood other than this. What are some of the roles you would like to try playing in a Hollywood movie?

Jang: I've been Roles There are some that I'm Reason for declining to Speak About Then why. (Laugh) Movies where I'd take some kind of shot and suddenly turn into Superman. (Laugh) Roles I want to play ... I've realized that from a certain point on, I haven't shot a film wearing normal clothes in a city. (All laugh) So if I get to play such a role, I'm confident I'd be able to do it well.

10: You're a new actor in the US but at the height of your popularity in Korea. Even the Internet is flooded with rumors of your son who is not even six months old.

Jang: I think you suiting Popularity Enjoy Your Age. I can't expect to be popular like idol stars are at my age. (Laugh) I want to stay an actor for a long time but you need popularity to be proud about the job. Popularity is something that your fans will give you but can also take away just as easily. The support of the Korean audience is what served as the basis to me being cast for this film as well. That's why I always feel grateful to my fans. It's the same with people's interest in my child. I sometimes am stressed over the pressure and think that it's good he doesn't know about the situation he's in. But what can you do about it. Both me and my wife agree that we have to accept it to a certain extent. We'll have to control it. (Laugh)

10: Lastly, any words of advice to other Asian actors who are thinking of expanding their career into Hollywood?

Jang: Well, What I think this is advice rather than IT Being. Some people may think it's significant that I'm branching out to a market overseas but the biggest reason this movie has to do well for me is that it was made as an equal joint production - Hollywood bought a plan by Korea. Up till now, they've had Asian actors play easy roles appear in their movies to target Asian markets but I think this movie has set the environment in which we can tell the story that we want. that's the strength this system has and if this can serve as a good example, such forms of collaborations will increase.

2010112516231507316_1.jpg

2010112516203587987_1.jpg

Korean actor Jang Dong-gun poses during a photo session of a round table interview for film "The Warrior's Way" in Seoul, South Korea on November 23, 2010.

2010112516203587987_2.jpg

November 27, 2010

Jang Dong-gun Hopes to Impress U.S Moviegoers in Hollywood Debut

Source: englishnews@chosun.com

2010112700303_1.jpg

Jang Dong-gun (right) with Kate Bosworth

Jang Dong-gun's Hollywood debut "The Warrior's Way" is set to hit the theaters at home and abroad next week. The 39-year-old actor discussed his feelings about the film after a preview in Seoul on Monday.

"It was my third time acting in a foreign language following '2009 Lost Memories (2001)' in Japanese and 'The Promise (2006)' in Chinese," said Jang, who performed in English in the film. "But the language wasn't as big a challenge for me as proving myself to U.S. moviegoers to whom I'm just an unknown actor."

"The Warrior's Way" is a Korea-U.S. joint venture produced by Lee Joo-ick, who also made "A Battle of Wits (2006)" and "Late Autumn (2010)," and Barrie Osborne, a Hollywood producer famous for "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy.

It also stars Kate Bosworth, who played Superman's lover in "Superman Returns (2006)," and Geoffrey Rush from the "Pirates of the Caribbean" series.

In the mixture of Hollywood Western and Asian martial arts film, Jang plays Yang, a warrior assassin who seeks to live an ordinary life in the U.S. Wild West, but is forced to take up his sword again in order to protect his lover. It opens in Korea on Dec. 2 and in the U.S. the following day.

2010112700303_2.jpg

Thanks for posting the news and pictures. I can'ty wait to watch his movie.  One of the korean actors  that i like with good looks and ACTING:lol:.

I was having fun watching this one. Kate Bosworth was eager to say something about Jang dong gun But she was interrupted by Chelsea Handler and the giggles of the audience, then she let it go!\

Kate Bosworth on Scandal, What It's Like to Be a Star in Korea (VIDEO)

by Oliver Miller, posted Dec 3rd 2010 1:50AM

Filed under: TV Replay

Being a celebrity in Korea is different to being a celebrity in America. For example, Korean audiences actually think that scandals are a bad thing. Actress Kate Bosworth showed up on 'Chelsea Lately' (weeknights, 11PM ET on E!), where she discussed this interesting factoid.

Kate is working with one of Korea's biggest stars -- Jang Dong-gun, "the Korean Brad Pitt." They're appearing together in the new film 'The Warrior's Way.' By the way, this movie looks fairly awesome. (Unless you take a strong stance against "Cowboys vs. Ninjas"-related films, which we personally don't.)

Chelsea Handler had Kate repeat her co-star's name several times. "Dong-gun," Kate said. "What is his name?" "Dong-gun." (Okay, we get it, Chelsea). The pair then talked about the nature of stardom in Korea. Apparently, the smallest hint of scandal means that your career there is "done." Chelsea was excited. "We could ship a whole bunch of people over there!"

The host's eyes glittered at the thought, as she clearly visualized the many, many stars -- Kardashians, etc. -- whose careers could be ended by shipping them to the Far East.

Source: http://www.tvsquad.com

*** I want to watch this movie. Also, the little baby is so adorable. I heard Shinee's song was never played in the movie - how come? Will this be played only in Korea showing? blush.gif

Movie Review: The Warrior’s Way

20101203_warriorwayreview_1.jpg

Actor Jang Dong Gun’s highly anticipated Hollywood debut film, “The Warrior’s Way“, opened in theaters across America and Korea today. Here at allkpop, we brought you everything from the Los Angeles red carpet premiere and exclusive interviews, to the final part of our series, the movie review.

It’s hard to tie down “The Warrior’s Way” to any specific genre. While it is most obviously an action western movie, tidbits of romantic comedy and drama are incorporated into this fantasy, graphic novel inspired film. “The Warrior’s Way” tells the story of Yang (played by Jang Dong Gun), a man that was raised and trained to be the greatest swordsman in the world. Upon defeating the greatest swordsman in the world, he betrays his mentor (played by Chinese actor Ti Lung) and his clan, The Sad Flutes, when he is unable to kill the last blood-line of his rival clan, a sweet, smiling baby girl.

In order to protect the baby from his own ruthless clan, Yang flees to a small frontier town in the American Badlands, where he meets the unique carnie townspeople. There he encounters Lynne (played by Kate Bosworth), a fiery red-head knife thrower-in-training who has a lot of angst built up due to a traumatic event that she witnessed in the past involving the cruel Colonel (played by Danny Huston). Lynne and the leader of the carnie gang, 8-Ball (played by Tony Cox), help Yang take care of the baby girl and settle into the town, eventually becoming the town’s laundryman. As he resides in the eccentric town, Yang, who was accustomed to the solitary and emotionless life of a warrior, learns the value of friendship, life, and possibly even love.

Many may criticize Jang Dong Gun for taking on the typical Asian ninja-type role, but I believe his decision was well thought out. Jang Dong Gun’s role allowed him to show his full potential, as unlike the usual quiet emotionless fighters that we’ve seen before, his character, Yang, is full of unseen emotion. The character develops more and more emotions as the film progresses, but due to his upbringing, doesn’t show it outwardly.

As producer Michael Peyser mentioned, Jang Dong Gun has a “terrific presence beyond [his] acting ability.” Jang Dong Gun chose a role that played to his strengths, a role which required him to act through his mere presence. Of course, we all wish that our wonderful Asian actors would make their Hollywood debuts through non-martial arts related films. However, let’s be honest, most of our stars are not the best English-speakers. Their limited and accented English would be overwhelmed by the English heavy scripts of non-typical-Asian roles.

Also, through this film, Jang Dong Gun was able to work alongside Hollywood’s top-notch actors and producers, such as Academy Award winning actor Geoffrey Rush (whom many of you may know as Captain Barbosa from ‘The Pirates of the Caribbean’) and ‘Lord of the Rings’ trilogy producer, Barrie Osborne. This experience may very well open up doors for Jang Dong Gun’s future career in Hollywood.

This film may not be the best western film, nor is it the best martial arts film. It is in a genre of it’s own. If you watch this film as if it were a graphic novel, it does a great job in creating a make-believe world in which the East meets the West, yet without excluding an ultimate battle between cowboys and ninjas. “The Warrior’s Way” might not be added to your list of favorite movies, but it’s definitely a movie worth watching.

So with winter break just around the corner, go support Jang Dong Gun in his Hollywood debut by watching “The Warrior’s Way” with your friends and family at your local theater!

In the past, we’ve reported on the film’s movie posters and a couple movie stills. Here we have some more movie stills below!

20101203_warriorwayreview_2-150x150.jpg20101203_warriorwayreview_3-150x150.jpg20101203_warriorwayreview_5-150x150.jpg20101203_warriorwayreview_11-150x150.jpg

If you haven’t done so already, make sure to check out the official movie trailer and music video, which reveals some behind the scenes footage from the film and features the voices of SHINee. Just for kicks, check out this ridiculously hilarious “Literal” of the official trailer done by Tobuscus on YouTube.

Photos: Relativity Media, allkpop

Video: YouTube

December 10, 2010

Korean ninjas in America

By Jason Lim koreatimes.co.kr

Perhaps it was a part of the renegotiated KORUS FTA package, but until recently, I hadn’t realized that Korean male actors had to transform themselves into ninjas before being allowed to land a movie role in America. But apparently so, judging from Rain’s “Ninja Assassin,” Lee Byung-heon’s “Rise of the Cobra,” and, most recently, Jang Dong-gun’s “The Warrior’s Way.”

To tell you the truth, they all did a fabulous job, and the amount of work that they put in to make themselves seem authentic to the role is certainly admirable. So I wasn’t in the least bit surprised when rumors surfaced about Rain being the leading contender to play the role of Bruce Lee in the remake of the “Return of the Dragon.”

Although each movie will experience varying degrees of mainstream commercial success, there is no doubt that Korean male actors are breaking new grounds when it comes to Asian actors in Hollywood.

Or, are they? On second thought, maybe not; in essence, they are just tramping on the same path that pioneers such as Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan have already blazed. More precisely, they are being herded onto the same path that Lee and Chan blazed.

Not that they have many options to choose from. Growing up, the only Asian male movie roles that I remember watching was Bruce Lee in all his martial arts movies, Jackie Chan in all his martial arts comedy movies, Chow Yun-fat in all his martial arts, action-packed shoot’em ups, and so on.

Also, I looked eagerly forward to a Saturday afternoon special of Hong Kong martial arts movie with titles like, “The Five Deadly Venoms” or “Cranes versus Scorpions.”

You get the point. If you wanted to see an Asian male actor, he was either pummeling or being pummeled in a martial arts film. Even John Cho of the White Castle fame ended up with a katana in his hands in “Star Trek.” The only other option was Long Duk-dong in “Sixteen Candles.” Oh wait, we also had “Odd Job” the psychopathic Korean henchman for Goldfinger. How could I forget his razor edged hat?

Faced with such a history of stereotyped casting, the role choices made by Rain, Lee, and Jang are understandable. I am sure that they were also fully aware of the historical sensitivity and irony of a Korean actor playing an iconic Japanese character in order to land a role in Hollywood. Surely, it was not a decision made lightly.

Nor is this a criticism of the Hollywood establishment. Hollywood movies are very expensive to make. As a business, you want to minimize risk and maximize returns. And a proven business model will always be more reassuring to the investors. A case in point is that a Korea-based talent management agency, Wellmade Star M, invested $10 million in the movie, banking on the cliched but proven male Asian actor as ninja storyline.

Having said that, I couldn’t help but feel a sad, empty disconnect at seeing these great and dynamic actors so outside of their natural elements. When I think of Lee Byung-heon, I think of his nuanced, pained portrayal of a South Korean army officer in “JSA.”

When I think of Jang Dong-gun, I think of his equally arresting portrayal of the morally torn older brother in “Taegukgi, the Brotherhood of War.” And when I think of Rain, I think of dynamic dancing and romantic comedy. I dread to think what weapon Bae Yong-joon will be wielding in his foray into Hollywood. Although, no doubt, the Japanese ladies will be screaming.

To see all these very separate and distinctive Asian actors all of a sudden play essentially the same character wielding the same sword, wearing similar garbs, and speaking with the identical stunted English pained me. Despite their great work, there was a palpable sense of loss.

This wasn’t the entirety of who they were as actors, which was echoed by Jang when he said, “Yes, I do have action sequences in this movie, but I’d like to be known not as an actor who does martial arts but as someone who does those things well along with his acting. I want to be an actor who is remembered for his great acting abilities.”

Coming out of the theaters after watching “The Warrior’s Way,” I was fervently hoping that Jang would one day get his way. It also left me wondering who would be visionary enough to risk casting one of Asia’s great leading men as one of Hollywood’s leading men in a dramatic role. Which Asian heartthrob would also translate as a Hollywood heartthrob without having to decapitate someone first? Who would step up to produce “Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner” for Asian male actors?

The business risk is there, for sure. But so is an indelible place in history.

Jason Lim is a Washington D.C.-based consultant in organizational leadership, culture, and change management. He has been writing for The Korea Times since 2006. He can be reached at jasonlim@msn.com and on Facebook.com/jasonlim2000.

• 1 month later...

January 14, 2011

Photos Kindle Excitement for Jang Dong-gun War Movie

Source: englishnews@chosun.com

Dramatic photographs from the upcoming film "My Way" were released on Thursday, fueling high expectations for the movie.

The movie has been drawing attention since its inception as it marks the first time for actor Jang Dong-gun and director Kang Je-gyu to work together since their 2004 blockbuster "Taegukgi: The Brotherhood of War."

2011011400648_0.jpg

/Courtesy of Yeonghwain

"My Way" tells the story of two men's intertwined destinies and their friendship against the background of World War II.

Shooting started in October with a budget of W30 billion (US$1=W1,114), the largest in Korean film history. The movie, which also features Japanese film star Joe Odagiri and Chinese actress Fan Bingbing, is scheduled to be released in December.

2011011400648_1.jpg

/Courtesy of Yeonghwain