Da Vinci Code

Guest ejay

Guest pyunghwa

I personally think this book is overrated, yet at the same time I understand why it's so popular. Talk about controversy. Dan Brown had done a great job in attracting people's attention, I'm a Christian myself but I could never understand why Christian people are making a big fuss over just a piece of fiction. To me, it's just fiction, no more no less, though some parts read like real historical segments. One bad issue I have with Brown's books is that his books are not capable to keep my attention throughout. I always *always* lost interest in the book after I got through the first 3/4 of the book. In the case of "Da Vinci Code", I got bored even sooner, read half the book and that was it, couldn't find the interest to continue anymore. "Angels and Demons", an earlier work by him is a better book, imho, though I didn't finish it either.

Christians are making a big deal out of this book because although Dan Brown classifies his book as a work of fiction, there is a little note at the beginning where he describes that his subjective interpretations of art work, religious orders, etc, are actually "fact". Furthermore, there are alot of ignorant people out there that believe his crock and bull as fact. Anyone with any education in art , religion, or history knows that his assesments are ridiculous. His book is almost entirely based on gnostic gospels which were already dispelled as invalid, hundreds of years ago.

The book was mildly entertaining for it’s plot but almost unbearable due to artistic, religious, and historical innaccuracies. Anyone else who’s read Angels and Demons and have some knowledge in science will realize how ignorant Dan Brown is when they read his description of anti-matter.

I mean it’s okay to enjoy works of fiction as long as it’s accepted as such. Tolkein never claimed that elves or hobbits existed. Dan Brown on the other hand totally believes most of what he writes in the "DaVinci Code".

And one further note to the testament of Dan Brown’s ignorance: DaVinci was not Leonardo’s last name. It means "of Vinci" or "from Vinci". DaVinci simply tells of where he was from. If Brown can’t even get minor details right, how much has he messed up on the major ones.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SkyRunner

I liked Angels & Demons but DaVinci Code did NOT live up to the hype at all imo. I was interested in the movie before I read the book. Now, I don't want to see it.

Guest jmidou

I loved the book and the movie looks pretty good but for some reason Tom Hanks doesn't look like he fits the part of Langdon

I just finished the book today after beginning it last night. The first time I opened the book I couldn't get through the first three pages, it was just so boring but because the movie's coming out and all of the hype (the reason I bought it in the first place) I made myself finish it. The story was good, I felt let down though. With so much "conspiracy" surrounding it, I just don't get it. I don't see what's so bad about it? People make a big deal out of nothing, and seriously, considering where they ended up in the end, it was really nothing special.

Guest PizazzPizza88

i never read it..maybe i will soon

i might watch the movie soon and it's better to read the book before

i reckon the book is better than the movie

Guest run_lola_run

Haven't read it yet but I'll watch the movie anyways. Audrey Tautou is in this...yaY!!!!

Guest tengteng

I loved the book and the movie looks pretty good but for some reason Tom Hanks doesn't look like he fits the part of Langdon

I think it's ok, at least he can act.

I heard that he plagerized the book??? Well i'm not sure because I've only heard... I strongly disagree when I hear people say that the movie will make a lot of money because there are a lot of Christians. And although some Christians seem to like the book, most of them dislike it.

I really do believe there are signs in Da Vinci's paintings.

from wat my government teacher told me, Dan Brown didn't plagerized it, he jus used information that was consider "stealing" and add them in his book. my government teacher noticed I was reading the book and began to talk about it for like half the class period. he said that Dan Brown is being sued for using information without permission in the davinci code. the information was from these two books called "holy grail and holy blood" which was documents durnin christ time.

man I cannot wait for the movie to come out! so excited the whole week :D

Guest sky.xo

I liked it, I think this book and Angels&Demons are his best work. :)

I can't wait for the movie.. hope it doesn't ruin the book.

Guest tengteng

The book was mildly entertaining for it’s plot but almost unbearable due to artistic, religious, and historical innaccuracies. Anyone else who’s read Angels and Demons and have some knowledge in science will realize how ignorant Dan Brown is when they read his description of anti-matter.

You seem very anti Dan Brown. For me, i think it's okay if you don't look too seriously into the anti-matter, after all, it's just fiction, he's ain't no science teacher, and not everyone reading that book, maybe even science teachers themselves would so much.

It's just fiction.

Guest i3lu3fun

i'm just starting reading it, on chap. 5 right now. :D hope i could finish it b4 the movie was out :P. i wanna see Tom Hanks, haha!

Guest sweet_treats1812

im really looking forward to this movie coz i loved the book so much~ i know there's many controversies about it but regardless of that, i still enjoy the story and the plot..im catholic myself but reading the thing doesnt shake my faith or anything..i guess it jst depends on people and how they look at things..

anyways..looking forward to watching this ;) i hope it measures up to the book too...

Guest teeny

the book was a great page turner, but the conspiracies and accusations were just a load of bull to me~

Guest mwtk

yeah, I imagine Robert to be someone else when I read the book and Tom Hanks kinda is a let down in terms of appearance.

Read Angels and Demons before i read da Vinci code.

Both books are interesting but i really thought that the DV code was overrated in terms of stylistic writing, good analyzation of the art pieces but other than that nothing too special or what was so popular about it aside from the controversey over Mary Magdalene and her importance.

Overall, not too impressed with his works

Guest jmidou

yeah, I imagine Robert to be someone else when I read the book and Tom Hanks kinda is a let down in terms of appearance.

yeah like Tom Hanks can act and everything but appearance wise.. I wasn't seeing him as Langdon but it's ok we'll see how it turns out :] maybe we'll be surprised

Archived