Da Vinci Code

Guest ejay

Guest touche`

I'm reading it but it looks boring to me, so i stop AND my sister already read it. The movie does look interesting.. BUt I do have a question. What is the point of this book? Is it trying to say that Jesus and Mary M. got married?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IT WAS ONE OF THE BEST BOOKS I HAVE EVER READ!!

and i cannot wait to go see the movie, the friday that it comes out.

.. i must admit it took me about 2 months to get past the first chapters..

but after that.. i finished it in a week. it was really addicting.

Guest yui_chan

coz i'm a moslem..i agree bout the section said that 'jesus is a human' and 'church made him a god'

not mean of talkin bout religion here, but that's true according my faith.

well, i kinda like that book, but found the end of the story is not very interesting, kinda 'usual' i guess. angels and demons has the same type with da vinci code, the bad guy is the person that u never thought..

but details are awesome

cant wait the movie, is it interesting? i hope

:):)

Guest Jeffversion2

I read it and enjoyed it alot

I'm reading it again before the movie that I am gonna see along with Over The Hedge lol

Guest dadedum

from wat my government teacher told me, Dan Brown didn't plagerized it, he jus used information that was consider "stealing" and add them in his book. my government teacher noticed I was reading the book and began to talk about it for like half the class period. he said that Dan Brown is being sued for using information without permission in the davinci code. the information was from these two books called "holy grail and holy blood" which was documents durnin christ time.

The outcome of the trial was in Dan Brown's favor, he was found not guilty. The court where the hearing was held is actually down the street from where I work lol. I see mobs of reporters that week whenever I passed by it.

The book's alright, it's a page-turner but nothing more. I think when you pair religion with a conspiracy theory and set them against a fictional group of characters, you're bound to draw some attention. And he also happens to pick the largest religion in the world with a big english-speaking population. His stuff on cracking codes is so laughable though, anyone with a decent ounce of knowledge on cryptography won't fail to realise how crude his code writing were.

Bottomline is I think Dan Brown does tons of research and paraphrases a lot of things in his books (I got this impression mainly from the science v. religion preaching in Angels&Demons), he's not a bad storyteller because you're intrigued by what will happen, however I don't think he has that many ideas of his own.

Guest snowberry

i was reading it, but didn't get very far.....And i gave the book away so i dont have it any more..i'm so lazy... guess i'll just watch the movie.. :D

Guest DOVAHKIIN

BUt I do have a question. What is the point of this book? Is it trying to say that Jesus and Mary M. got married?

Precisely. And if it was true, Christian beliefs would be revolutionized.

I heard that he plagerized the book??? Well i'm not sure because I've only heard... I strongly disagree when I hear people say that the movie will make a lot of money because there are a lot of Christians. And although some Christians seem to like the book, most of them dislike it.

I really do believe there are signs in Da Vinci's paintings.

I'm pretty sure it'll reel in the big bucks, controversial or not, it was very successful in terms sales as a book.

About the plagarism accusations:

On April 11, 2005, novelist Lewis Perdue sued Brown and his publisher Random House for plagiarizing his novels The Da Vinci Legacy (1983) and Daughter of God (2000), claiming "there are far too many parallels between my books and The Da Vinci Code for it to be an accident." 2 On 4 August 2005, District Judge George B. Daniels granted a motion for summary judgment and dismissed the suit, ruling that "a reasonable average lay observer would not conclude that The Da Vinci Code is substantially similar to Daughter of God. Any slightly similar elements are on the level of generalized or otherwise unprotectable ideas." He affirmed that The Da Vinci Code does not infringe upon copyrights held by Perdue

In 2005, Brown won a suit against Lewis Perdue the author of The Da Vinci Legacy and Daughter of God. Perdue had made similar claims against Brown, in particular that he plagiarized the major themes of his novel. Courts ruled in Brown's favour, citing that historical events cannot be protected under copyright law and that anyone has the right to write about them

In February 2006, Michael Baigent and Richard Leigh, two of the three authors of The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail, took the UK publisher of The Da Vinci Code to court for breach of copyright, alleging plagiarism [4] Some sources suggested the lawsuit was a publicity stunt [5] intended to boost sales of The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail (a boost which did in fact occur). However, the projected court costs of over 1 million pounds outweigh or at least substantially reduce the financial benefit of the lawsuit [6].

Dan Brown repeatedly said in his defence that history cannot be plagiarised and therefore the accusations of the two authors were false. Leigh stated, "It's not that Dan Brown has lifted certain ideas because a number of people have done that before. It's rather that he's lifted the whole architecture - the whole jigsaw puzzle - and hung it on to the peg of a fictional thriller" [7]. Dan Brown has admitted some of the ideas taken from Baigent and Leigh's work were indispensable to the book but stated that there were many other sources also behind it. However, he admitted that neither he nor his wife had read Baigent and Leigh's book when he produced his original "synopsis" of the novel [8].

On 7 April 2006, High Court judge Peter Smith rejected the copyright-infringement claim by Michael Baigent and Richard Leigh, and Dan Brown won the court case [9]. However, in the published extracts of his judgement [10] the judge criticised the non-appearance of Blythe Brown and the vagueness of Dan Brown's evidence saying "He has presented himself as being a deep and thorough researcher...evidence in this case demonstrates that as regards The Da Vinci Code that is simply not correct with respect to historical lectures"

- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticisms_of_The_Da_Vinci_Code

over rated =__=

i was so disappointed. the only reason it got so much hype is cuz there's so much religion references.

but the thing about the "last supper" painting and the floating hand is pretty cool

Guest because_of_you

i read the book coz i wanted to know wot it was all about before i watch the movie and i have to say the book was very captivating i HAD to finish it and i did it within 2 days but im like that with most books anyway including the Harry Potter books!!

i think wot Dan brown has written is very interesting and controversial and i liked the charcters too in the book, but after reading i was left all empty kinda didn't understand wot all the fuss was about?? i mean within the novel Dan Brown is trying to say Jesus and Mary Magdalene had a daughter but that news wasn't a surpise it seems like everyone within the novel kinda knew anyway it wasn't a big secret since nearly all the historians could have found that out!! so wot was the big deal?? but making Sophie being a part of the Jesus and Mary Magdalene bloodline was good.

I gotta say though the thing about the picture Last Supper do look convincing, but i guess we can never really understand why Da Vinci drew it like that.

im a christian too, although the pastor has said they don't want people to watch the movie, which i kinda understand because some people may think its real and factual but for me personnally i really wanna see the film coz its entertainment for me. but i guess people do have to be careful but just because im watching the film doesn't mean i support DAn Brown or anything.

Guest run_lola_run

wow, this movie is getting slammed hard by critics, I didn't think they would hate it so much. Right now it's at 0% at Rotten Tomatoes and all the reviews are rotten. That's a shock.

Here's the link so you can see for yourselves: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/da_vinci_code/

I think it'll still do good at the box office though regardless of what the critics say. But who knows, Over the Hedge is coming out this week too.

Guest IC_Bananas

I loved the book! i was through with it in 4 days. i also read Demons & Angels too. it's pretty good as well.

but i can't wait til friday when the movie comes out.

Guest CK92842

wow, this movie is getting slammed hard by critics, I didn't think they would hate it so much. Right now it's at 0% at Rotten Tomatoes and all the reviews are rotten. That's a shock.

Here's the link so you can see for yourselves: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/da_vinci_code/

I think it'll still do good at the box office though regardless of what the critics say. But who knows, Over the Hedge is coming out this week too.

Well it's only 7 reviews at the moment, in my book once it hits a minimum of 50 and it's still rotten then I avoid it completely. I'll watch it friday regardless, classes ended today and I'll be glad to join the real world. Film looks interesting and because there is absolutely nothing worth watching in theaters then this'll have to do. :)

Guest DOVAHKIIN

I'd tend to listen to reviews on IMDB.com rather than rottentomatoes.com's

I'd say wait for IMDB's reviews and/or check newspapers and magazines. This is for sure gonna be a movie that will have those going yay and those going nay.

Guest Solly

man... i REALLY want to read this, but my dad won't let me. aaaah~ even though it's fiction and all made up >0<;;; but i will read it one day. same to ANGELS & DEMONS

the news said that a lot of the critics did not enjoy this movie. they said that the movie was confusing and wasn't enough detailed as the book was as in they took out a lot of parts to it. O_O;;; i'm actually not surprised that people didn't enjoy it cause a book that's as popular and so called "good" as this shouldn't be made into a movie and just be left as a novel itself.

a great book doesn't always make a great movie (one of the critics said this)

-S0LLY ^3^

Guest polabola

I read parts of the book and I find it interesting. I can't wait to see the movie :D

To those religious freaks wanting to ban the movie, they must be hiding something because they're so afraid that the movie might change the minds of their followers :lol:

Guest marc3lla

i've read it and have seen the movie. i must say. i really love it.. though they skipped a bunch of sections of the book. but man, it was worth it.

Guest Classic Example

I haven't read it and I'm not planning to see the movie. I don't see a movie without reading the book first. My booklist has Angels and Demons and The Da Vinci Code.

Guest Melyxcious

i've read the book and personally i loved it a lot that when i first started reading it- i just kept reading and reading it.

the ending of the book is slightly confusing at first.. that i had to read it like a few more times to actually get it x.x;;

anywhooo.. i sooo want to see the movie!! >_<;;

and I'm catholic-christian.

I knew that the book is controversial but i still read it and i love it.

i'm glad my orchestra teacher recommended the book haha xP

next week; xmen 3 >XD

Archived