Sm Audition - About Age

Guest Deremith

Guest Deremith
Am I too old?
I was planning to audition for SM entertainment next year, when i'll be 18. But are my chances too low? would I be too old for them to even consider? or should i consider thinking of another company? (i want to sing btw)

Well, I know that SM takes some pretty young singers since most of their singers debut when they're about 18/19 years old?

I think its the same deal for other entertainment companies, but YG may be more lenient in terms of age (i.e. Park Bom, Big Mama) - but you need to be AMAZING (then again, if you had that talent, SM would take you any other way.

You could try going through Brothers Entertainment first and then go to major companies.

Best thing to do is get a Plan B though.

Most successful singers have already auditioned and signed with a company.

I don't want to sound discouraging, but that's reality (I mean, if you consider the amount of auditioners, then they're going to take a younger singer as long as your singing skills are the same).

I think that many trainees needs a lot of training periods..

Some even trained for 7 years until they debuted.

That is why most of them started training at an early age.

But if you're really good, maybe you'll only need a few years..

There's still another problem though..

The age standard for artists in Korea seems to lower each year..

Like Tae Min for example.. He's so young!!! >.<

But if you're gonna train for a few years and debut when you're in your twenties, maybe you'll be like CSJH?

But personally I think that debuting at an earlier age will have more advantage..

Look at SHINee, Wonder Girls and SNSD, they received more promotions compared to their older sunbaes.

Guest ohbliss

Are you korean? If so, chances are low, but you still have a chance.

If not, I suggest you try a different company. They seem more lenient on age if you're korean, but if you're a foreigner, you also have to learn the language, so it's harder.

• 2 weeks later...

From the stuff that I have read about other people's experiences, SM Entertainment are really picky about looks and ages more than talent.

For instance, a person's experience where they decided to choose some really young girls who could not even sing over someone who could sing.

A friend of mines went to the audition for fun - he doesn't want to be a singer or anything, but he figured it will be fun to go sing and dance.

He was part of the first group and the judges did not bother to ask anyone anything except for two guys who could kind of sing (but not as good as him?).

The reason being that they might have the potential since they looked decent on the cameras.

I guess it is better to start at a really young age since the trainees tend to tend for quite a few years before they can debut (that is, if they can).

Other companies may be a better shot for you since they are not as iffy about people's ages as long as they have the talent.

Even if you don't get accepted, you can always go for fun (and for those super small posters, too) =)

Guest aliks089

under the conditions that you might be super sexy and have a killer voice - your expiration date would be about age 22-23 for auditioning

SM target's the teenyboppers. The 13-16 primarily.

And if you have a killer voice why go for SM? It's better to go to a different Entertainment company.

Guest 15;;1/2

I suggest you focus on getting in to another company since SM prefers younger artists. Most SM singers debut at 17/18. You can still try but I don't think your chances are that high considering that SM usually accepts people around 13/14 years old. There are still a lot of better companies out there. Good luck :)

Guest pris716

it takes normallyaround 3yrs for sm training so you'd be, like, 21yrs old.....sm sorta cares more about age....if it age u worry about then u prob should go to, like, avex ora taiwan company like emi....they care a LOT LESS on age....imean, look at fahrenheit!!!

Archived