[THE OFFICIAL] IU 아이유 Thread

akinahana89

It is very late where I am and I have had a very busy day.  I was lucky enough to check for the video earlier in the night.  Apparently, it was posted less than an hour when I saw it.  I was number 301 or something like that.  I think there were something like 100 comments by the time I saw it.  LIkewise, I noticed that there were almost 1 million views of the YouTube posting of the song with just the still picture (1theK's official posting).  So it looks like 2014 is going to have been one of IU's biggest years (so far) for her singing career.
I have been reading about Seo Taiji.  Interesting character.
When I heard about this two part release idea, I thought that maybe the two parts might be playable together (simultaneously) forming a third version.  Now, I think it is more likely they will be separate and meant to be played one after the other.  Well, we'll see.
Billboard is covering this too:
class="title" id="page-title" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-size: 35px; vertical-align: baseline; line-height: 42px; text-align: center; color: rgb(26, 26, 26); font-family: BrownStd-Regular, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; background: rgb(255, 255, 255);""K-Pop Legend Seo Taiji Enlists IU for Synth Spectacular 'Sogyeokdong'"

The MV was beautifully taken. It will relate better with the koreans but even without us knowing the history, we can feel the tenseness and sorrow emulating from the MV.

Just so that we get a better understanding of it, someone explained this and thought you guys might be interested. Sorry I forgot who wrote this but it was one of the youtube comments

"Hey guys, this music video is quite cryptic and open to interpretations, so I thought I could provide some background story to give more context.
The music video is set in the 1980s Korea. It was a time when freedom of speech was strictly limited and the government put a lot of effort into breaking down student-led protests (to the point of using force and searching/arresting citizens without warrants). Many elements in the video ominously hint the government's power and will to destroy those who disagree with the government... a dysfunctional democracy. 
The voice on the radio (

) announces the government's attempt to break down the student-led protests (which actually involved kidnapping students and brainwashing / torturing them to become spies to watch over other youths and keep them in check).
The origami crane (
) unfolds to reveal a flyer about practicing early curfews in case of emergencies (e.g. bombings, coups... England's Blitz-like analogy) and the girl's hidden message to "meet on the night when the lights disappear." Then the siren goes on (
), announcing that all citizens should stay indoors and the lights go off. The boy gets ready to meet the girl, but can't seem to find her anywhere. The video gives clues to what could have happened to the girl, but more details are to be revealed in the second part of the music video by Seotaiji which will be released on the 10th. "

@akinahana89 Yeah, I read about that, how depressing. But then again those were dark turbulent times for everyone not in power. Also, her house looks like it was raided so it might not have been a suicide but an execution of some sort. Maybe her family were protesters. Or it could just be that her family left in the middle of the night and he was looking up because it started to snow, maybe. People were also saying that the adult version of the girl is IU and that she's a ghost left in the abandoned town sitting in the house that she died in. As @nikki89 stated, it's all speculations until part two comes out.

I am in a rush lately, so I will just ask these questions and hope that someone can answer them or pass them on:

In the MV, there are a few things that I am trying to understand:

1.  The shape of the string of paper dolls that the boy finds looks like it might be a Korean letter.  Or it could even be some other language.  Has anyone mentioned anything about that?

2.  The same comment about the red string.

3.  What is that smoke that is coming out of the truck in front of the taxi?

The cover for Seo Taiji version of Sogyeokdong...

The seotaiji representative said "The girl on the [cover] is a metaphorical representation of purity." The representative continued, "The cover implies and expresses the theme of the entire album by showing a young girl who is both curious and fearful of the world."

But I'll leave the interpretation open to you guys >.<

Media preview
moonroknews.com/news/seo-taiji-releases-cover-art-comeback-album-quiet-night

class="content-title"Seo Taiji: “My Wife Lee Eun Sung Is a Big Fan of IU” Seo-Taiji_IU.jpg

Seo Taiji, who has recently released a collaboration with IU entitled Sogyeokdong, has revealed that his wife, the actress Lee Eun Sung, is a huge fan of singer IU.

At a recent recording of KBS show “Happy Together 3,” the veteran K-pop star spoke in detail about his wife.

Seo Taiji explained that when he was dating Lee Eun Sung, she would often listen to IU songs.

Seo Taiji and IU’s collaboration track, “Sogyeokdong,” is a pre-release track from Seo Taiji’s much-awaited comeback album, and soared straight to the top of several music charts upon its release. Seo Taiji explained that he had not expected the song to be quite as popular as it has been, saying, “I was very surprised that the song hit Number 1 as soon as it was released. I think the fact that IU collaborated on the track is the main reason it has done so well.”

“Happy Together 3,” featuring guest Seo Taiji, will air on October 9 at 11:10 p.m.

Source: Soompi

(I like how the writer used a YTBLSS photo for IU.... Haha.)

Aaaaaand it's out!

Seo Taiji's half of the collaboration~~

edit://

So I guess IU really was supposed to be the adult version of the girl while Seo Taiji was the adult version of the boy. I thought his MV would clear up the story and while in some ways, it has... it was almost like watching the same MV. The song was exactly the same too. Kind of a weird collaboration? He does have a good voice though, but the music was really overpowering his voice - just like with IU.

First of all... :-t Is that Seo Taiji??? :-O :-O
I know he is Korea's Benjamin Button. But I don't expecting he is THAT slim and THAT young :-O Its just totally shocking for me. I thought he is 40 something :-O

SO... about the MV, and the song by him... I say... wow... I'm surprised too that it feels refreshing. The feel is different between IU and him. If I have to describe it... IU's version is like image with bloom and smart blur effect. It created feels like I was in the cloud. Soft, slow, calm, peaceful.
While Seo Taiji's version is like image with deepen effect and more contrast to it. It created feels like mountain stream water. Cold, clear and refreshing at the same time.

Ohh I really love this 2 versions. Its really interesting experience. Singgi ata...

and apparently I was right. IU's versions is more from the boys perspective while ST's is from the girls perspective EVENTHO its much more clear from IU's perspective (the boy) because until the end we can't guess what exactly happened to the girl. We just know that someone taken (captured) from her family and she saw that. But it doesn't show more about her whereabouts so maybe they want to say that she is TOO captured (bc she is student -and that time, it said that gov arrest student without warrant).

class="content-title" Seo Taiji Releases His MV for “Sogyeokdong,” Completes Picture with IU’s MV   Seo Taiji Releases His MV for “Sogyeokdong,” Completes Picture with IU’s MV

On October 10, Seo Taiji finally dropped his version of “Sogyeokdong” from his ninth album “Quiet Night,” along with the music video.

Following up on the release of IU’s music video for the same song, Seo Taiji’s version reveals more of the girl’s point of view, completing the picture with IU’s version, which told the story more through the boy.

Seo Taiji Company said, “If the music video for IU’s ‘Sogyeokdong’ is about a girl in the eyes of a boy, Seo Taiji’s ‘Sogyeokdong’ is about the heart of a girl that captured the heart of a boy.” The agency revealed that there will also be a director’s cut of the music video, to be released on October 11.

Seo Taiji’s ninth album “Quiet Night” is slated for release on October 20, and prior to the release, Seo Taiji will be holding his comeback concert “Christmalowin” on October 18.

Soompi

Well, here is what "Google Translate" has to say about the Korean commentary under the video:

"Sogyeokdong 'followed by IU version of Seo Published October 10' to the original sound of sogyeokdong 'intent and emotion of the song intact damgyeotda sogyeokdong' Seo Taiji is a complete '.

The coexistence of the childhood song about the sadness go away in the background, Jongno vague memories of the childhood spent sogyeokdong Seo is a real place This song.

The Taiji is to express the ambivalent feelings of loss and nostalgia in 'sogyeokdong' the representation of sound in various experiments.  Through the structure of the side chain such that (Side Chain) effect on the entire switch or a minor song in a major Mars Seo feelings of memories Simply described as a bundle of three-dimensional feeling, rather than beautiful. It was found to express the feelings of Seo is a sick sensation of sound memories "sogyeokdong 'sound.  Than what was chemically bound to the sound and space of two days through a variety of current sequencing experiments of the 1980s-style melodies and Seo.

For an idea to compare IU and Seo original version version first published interesting. In fact, the difference between the two sound sources placed near the street, but not less in emotion.

By holding high the pitch of the sound, compared to the original version of IU Seo male vocal melody is holding low key.  Seo Taiji 'sogyeokdong' is boiled add more weight to the dim days of pain for the loss naturally."

Uhhh.  Yeah.  Typical "Google Translate" results.
:-)

A lot to think about.  I did capture a couple of frames.  The red string on the table is sort of a "neat mess".  I think it shows that someone working for him took time to make it look nice, but that was about all.  It does not resemble anything written.  On the other hand, the shape of the string of paper dolls, still looks like it might represent some kind of written letter or word in some language, but it is outside my scope to figure that out.  I still wonder about the smoke from the truck.

I also wonder about the speculation about the girl dying.  Even after seeing both versions, it is still a "maybe".

About his using IU to help his comeback.  Maybe.  From what I have been reading he really is/was popular enough that he could expect his own to sell.  I expect he had a few reasons to get IU involved.  I expect that the main reason was that he liked her voice for the song.  She gave it a dream-like quality.  But there is no doubt that seeing her recent numbers, her version would be popular.  I do believe that he was surprised at exactly how popular though.

I have deliberately avoided saying anything about the sound because of the annoying accusations, but I think it is dying down a bit.  So I will say that I found it a very interesting experience.  The video looks back at the period around the 1980's.  Guess what movie rocked the world in 1982?  Bladerunner.  The synth sound that the trolls have been comparing to "Chvrch's" is actually heavily based on the sounds of Tangerine Dream's work in Bladerunner.  That has another whole layer of connotations.  Please do not bother arguing with them.  From her comments, I think IU would rather avoid unnecessary conflict of this nature.  But I think Seo Taiji probably worked with those sounds specifically to bring in the Bladerunner references.

One other thing I thought about was what does "Seo Taiji" mean?  Just as "IU" is a stage name, so is "Seo Taiji".  It is not his original name.  Google translate did not translate his name into English, but most names mean something, so I wonder about that.

Guest adikkeluangman

Kim Tae Woo's wife reveals that their daughters are huge fans of g.o.d songs
PS14100800123.jpg

On October 8, SBS held a press conference for their variety show 'Oh My Baby' in their building located in the Yangcheon District of Seoul. During the conference, Kim Tae Woo's wife Kim Ae Ri talked about their daughters So Yool and Ji Yool's preference in music and how they favor g.o.d songs.
"During g.o.d's eighth album nation tour, the children went to the concert hall twice. After listening to g.o.d's eighth album a lot, they seem to like it," she said happy that the children enjoy their father's work. She continued, "The eldest daughter even raps to J.Y. Park. She likes the song [g.o.d] sang with IU. They like children songs too, but I think they like g.o.d songs the most."
Kim Tae Woo chimed in, saying, "[When they were born] we put on R&B music in the delivery room. Because of that, my children know how to groove," eliciting smiles and laughs.
Seems like Kim Tae Woo's children are huge fans of g.o.d's latest album 'Chapter 8'. It's sweet to hear that they appreciate their father's music! Check out one of their favorite tracks "Sing for Me" featuring IU from the album in the video below.

http://www.allkpop.com/article/2014/10/kim-tae-woos-wife-reveals-that-their-daughters-are-huge-fans-of-god-songs
I wonder if Taewoo girls have met IU or not.

^@adikkeluangman: I'm pretty sure IU met Kim Taewoo's daughters before since IU attended the first birthday party for one of them a while back.
For some reason I'm curious about what songs Seo Taiji's wife was listening to when they were dating. How big of a fan is she and does she know a lot about IU. I remember seeing her in Epik High's Fan MV and in the drama Que Sera Sera. I'm not sure what factors play into him choosing IU but I think he made the perfect choice. Sure IU is popular, well liked, and is a chart topper but if I were him I would chose IU too regardless of all that because her talents speak for itself. Plus, I think they are well-matched on an artistic level. Both have a unique sound and are multi-talented, versatile, can jump from genre to genre, experimental, unpredictable, set their own trends, and genuinely love to make music.

Here is the "Director's Cut" of "Sogyeokdong"
"서태지 (SEOTAIJI) - 소격동 (Sogyeokdong) (DIRECTOR'S CUT) MV"

Now there are three.  Anyone want a forth?:-)
---[2014-10-13 0:08]
I have been looking at the three videos for the day and I am disappointed in the "Director's Cut".  There does not seem to be anything different between it and the Seo Taiji version.  I think I would have to lot at it frame by frame to find something different.  In that sense it has turned out to be a waste of time.  On the other hand, I have been reading about Korean history and thinking about the videos and I am pleased with them both.
I think that this is a good time for Koreans to look back on their recent history and think about what they want in the future.  The Sewol Ferry accident and the deaths of two members of Ladies Code all come from the singular pursuit of success.  And this whole set of song releases and videos is all about remembering the past -- both the good and the bad.

Guest simplymebeingcrazy

Hello everyone! 

I'm not sure if it's my first time to post here but I am definitely a follower of this thread because I am an avid IU fan.  I think some of my "crazy" friends will recognize me here.  Right @akinahana89 and @edensor ? :D

Thanks for keeping me and the other silent lurkers anything and everything about IU.  Kudos to all of you.

Anyway, I decided to come out today cause I've been searching and searching for any article that might have mentioned about IU's Midsummer Night's Dream being used in the recently finished KBS drama "Discovery of Romance" and unfortunately I was not successful.  Probably because it's a remake.  Still, I was quite disappointed that it was not given even a token credit.  If I had not been an IU fan and knows her unique voice, I wouldn't have known it was her song at all.  To think that it was played both on Episodes 1 & 3, proper credit should have been given.

Omo omo. Who is this? @simplymebeingcrazy? Wow~~~ Hehehe. Nice seeing your post. It's been a while.

I didn't watch Discovery of Romance, so I'm not sure what the situation is. But if an IU song, or any song in particular, was playing in the background, credit or acknowledgement is usually not given. That applies for all dramas. In Fated to Love You, they played three different IU songs in the background as cafe music, but they don't mention it. It's just there.

Guest simplymebeingcrazy

akinahana89 said: Omo omo. Who is this? @simplymebeingcrazy? Wow~~~ Hehehe. Nice seeing your post. It's been a while. I didn't watch Discovery of Romance, so I'm not sure what the situation is. But if an IU song, or any song in particular, was playing in the background, credit or acknowledgement is usually not given. That applies for all dramas. In Fated to Love You, they played three different IU songs in the background as cafe music, but they don't mention it. It's just there.