Non-asian Auditioning For Sm?

Guest InspiredCat

I don't have time now to read all the replies to this thread, so I'll do it when I get home~

But I wanted to reply now XD

I'll be auditioning in either Japan or Korea this spring or summer. I'm positive that if I were Asian, they'd sign me. However, since I'm white, it's iffy. It'd be hilarious if I went all teh way to Korea, auditioned, and they signed me to SM USA and sent me back to America XD

Hilarious in a sad way ;-;

lol

I've seen a white person audition before, so I know that they let non-Asians (or at least white peeps) audition. Don't give up on your dreams! :D

lol~ :D

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Kawaii_Cyber_Kitty

i think that sm should be open to non-asians that audition. Maybe if sm is open to non-asians, then the american market will actually allow asians to become popular in the U.S.. That way asians will not hae to go to asian companies in order to become popular, thay can actually become popular in the country they live in!!! ;D

Guest Sweet_Asian819

Korean Industry = HARD !! If you're not a talented East Asian =.= You know with the whole black thin hair, light skin, and distinct ASIAN eyes.

Japanese Industry = Kinda hard >.> The Japanese are more open if you know what I mean

I'm Filipino and want to audition for both countries and Philippines industry ^-^;;

I think everyone is created equal :D So if you're a Non-Asian, give it a try :)

Though, I always wondered.... What's your reason for auditioning for Asian companies? Is it to meet stars like DBSK? You've been so into the Asian culture that you just love it? Your type of music is in the Asian side?

I'm sorry to be pushy, but I'm curious ^^; (geez... maybe that's why my mom thinks I'm annoying with asking questions =.=')

Guest aiko_da luv child

I'm a non-asian auditioner as well and people always ask... "Why Korea? Why Asia?" but

the real question is "What is so great about Asia?" I could seat around all day and name

all the glorious things about Asia and why Asia is the reason I've decided to persue a career

in music. This is why I, a non-asian auditioner, want to audition for a Korean entertainment

and not an American one (I mean seriously, what is America putting out that's better than

K-pop).

Jei<3

Guest kissmexkillme

i'm a non-asian but i do like to think about auditioning for SM xDD like you've all said already, it would be pretty hard/near impossible, but. ever since i was in 6th grade i've had more of an attraction to the asian music industry than the american one -- america seems to thrive on the 'sexy' image, at lease for most females. i also have the impression that asian artists work so much harder for their fame... like, to be able to sing and dance at the same time, i mean xDDD i'm a fairly decent singer, but i think i'm a better dancer, so i'd love to be able to do both at the same time. i don't know of any american artists that dance very well...

if i were to decide to actually audition for SM (i'm trying to force myself to think 'why would they make a permanent company in the US if they aren't willing to even TRY non-asians?'), i wouldn't be doing it anytime soon xDD i'm nowhere near what they're looking for right now, but maybe after a year or so, if 16 isn't too old, i'd like to give it a go :D there's nothing to lose by doing it, anyway.

• 2 years later...
Guest SweetBananaMilk

Hi ^^ First of all, I'd like to say, I really really admire your ambition! Before I saw this, I thought me and two of my friends seemed to be the only people who were even prepared to give it a shot despite our nationality!

Now here's the honesty bit! You have a better chance of getting considered if you have an 'Asian look'. Not actually looking Asian, but the look that Korean and Japanese people think of as 'Western beauty' - big eyes, fluffy hair, small figure, little mouth and such - but you'd also have to have a considerable amount of talent in the areas of singing/dancing/rapping or you won't be considered, but that sort of appearance would definitely help. This is the sort of marketable look, but there's a story behind this girl:

http://beckii.co.uk/gallery/view/id/7/photo/39

That girl is Beckii Flint, whose ideal looks made her a curiosity in Asia. Whilst she managed to start a pop career in Japan, her management tried and failed to launch her in Korea, but - no matter what she looked like - she just didn't have the talent back then. (Although, as a fan, I think she could actually make a go of it now, since she got better!)

If you think you have the look and talent, definitely go for it! If you're unsure, still go for it! What harm can it do? ^^ With the rise of the Hallyu wave, it's likely that SM will want to move on to non-Asian artists! They just need to find the right person to kickstart it and help them move forward - it could be you!

Finally, to those saying a non-Asian act would certainly fail in Korea: let's think of it like this- if a world-famous artist, let's say Lady GaGa, released a terrible song, people would still like it because of who she is! Following this, if SM Ent. debut a non-Asian act, many Koreans, especially teenagers, would still support it, because they'd think "If SM has hired them, they must be really cool"!

So, I hope I've helped! If you do audition, please go on my Twitter @CuteBananaMilk and tell me how you get on! I'd really like to know! ♥

Guest ShrimpCrackerrr

Hi ^^ First of all, I'd like to say, I really really admire your ambition! Before I saw this, I thought me and two of my friends seemed to be the only people who were even prepared to give it a shot despite our nationality!

Now here's the honesty bit! You have a better chance of getting considered if you have an 'Asian look'. Not actually looking Asian, but the look that Korean and Japanese people think of as 'Western beauty' - big eyes, fluffy hair, small figure, little mouth and such - but you'd also have to have a considerable amount of talent in the areas of singing/dancing/rapping or you won't be considered, but that sort of appearance would definitely help. This is the sort of marketable look, but there's a story behind this girl:

http://beckii.co.uk/...w/id/7/photo/39

That girl is Beckii Flint, whose ideal looks made her a curiosity in Asia. Whilst she managed to start a pop career in Japan, her management tried and failed to launch her in Korea, but - no matter what she looked like - she just didn't have the talent back then. (Although, as a fan, I think she could actually make a go of it now, since she got better!)

If you think you have the look and talent, definitely go for it! If you're unsure, still go for it! What harm can it do? ^^ With the rise of the Hallyu wave, it's likely that SM will want to move on to non-Asian artists! They just need to find the right person to kickstart it and help them move forward - it could be you!

Finally, to those saying a non-Asian act would certainly fail in Korea: let's think of it like this- if a world-famous artist, let's say Lady GaGa, released a terrible song, people would still like it because of who she is! Following this, if SM Ent. debut a non-Asian act, many Koreans, especially teenagers, would still support it, because they'd think "If SM has hired them, they must be really cool"!

So, I hope I've helped! If you do audition, please go on my Twitter @CuteBananaMilk and tell me how you get on! I'd really like to know! ♥

sorry to burst your bubble, but talent is not as important as you make it seem (if you have the looks).. she failed cause she wasn't what korea wanted. i am a HUMONGOUS yoona fan, like i love her and she will always be my bias, but she can't sing. her voice is cute and stuff, but just not meant for singing. she can dance well, but she's not the best. she does not have a lot of talent yet she is still one of the most popular members in snsd. as long as korea wants you, they will accept you. they just didnt want that becki girl.

and i don't think becki is exactly what korea likes.. i think if a non-asian could make it, it would be dianna agron. she is so pretty, she has all the things asians like. when i saw her close ups on the movie "i am number four" or something, i was like speechless. she was SO pretty, i was willing to overlook the fact that she wasn't asian. OMG LOL and she sings like a disney princess.

Dianna_Agron_300.jpg

this picture does her no justice, but i just wanted to post what she looked like.

look at this video if you want to see how pretty she is: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=ATz3Ff0ieH4

also, uhh, no. just because lady gaga is very famous, that does not mean every single song she releases will be popular. and not all groups that debuted under sm are popular. csjh is so underrated. have you ever heard or iconiq? or black beat? just because sm releases something, it does not mean instant success.

• 1 year later...
Guest winterchild036

Onizuka said: I think non asians should try pursuing the American Industry. I don't think there's chance in the Asian Industry.
Besides, if you're so darn talented, why Korean industry? American industry earn x1000 times more than Asians.
I do think Eurasians still have chance though. Because with some mix of european, the person will look more attractive and unique. But they have to look more on the Asian side.

Archived