Non-asian Auditioning For Sm?

Guest InspiredCat

Guest InspiredCat

Any others?!
Just curious if there's any other non-Asians out there auditioning for SM??

If so, singing in English or Korean or some other language?

I'm not sure if I will bother going now, just because I will be travelling for it and I don't know if it will be worth the money to go. A lot of people are telling me they'll only take Asians even if they let you audition anyway.

Guest a_dreamer143

I'm not sure if I will bother going now, just because I will be travelling for it and I don't know if it will be worth the money to go. A lot of people are telling me they'll only take Asians even if they let you audition anyway.

hey u know i think it should be worth a try :] after all we dont really know whats going on in their heads ^^ one minute they might want an asian gal but next thing u know they get a non-asian gal you get me? so just try it should be worth it :]

I'm trying out but I'm pretty sure they are not looking for non-asians lol. But from what I heard, they do let you audition and will be impressed to see non-asians singing well in Korean. But, even if they like you they probably won't pick you because the judges were sent here to find talented Asians, not non-asians. :(

So why am I doing it? I'm really doing it just for the experience (plus, I'm not doing anything on that day :sweatingbullets: ) and to help prepare me for future auditions with Japanese and American companies...but I'm still going to be serious about this audition since it will be my first ever (plus, it would be great if they did pick me! ^^).

I'm preparing a Korean song and an English song. I already know a Japanese song just in case they want to hear that too.

But like what the other person said, it is good to try b/c you may never know what the judges are really thinking...but if you have to travel for it and use a lot of money then I wouldn't do it personally.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest molukku

NON asians can Just audition I think :o

Do you got some kind of asian look, then you might be okay :P.

Give the crowd what it likes :D!

If you look ASIAN but you are LATIN :P just say your asian . just kiddin xD

But thats how it works in the world of modelling xD

Guest happy619

Ok, i really understand that people who arent asian that want to auditon. I really think its cool that others are interested in Korean culture and music. However it be really hard fo ranyone not asian to make it. It doesnt work like that. ITs Korea, its not like the US. Even in the US asains debuting here have low chance of evr making it big. BUt you never know, thats why people like JYP are trying to help expand the musci industry. Good lUCk

All of the non-Asians auditioning for SM or any other Korean entertainment company ALREADY know that its going to be a lot freaking harder for them to make it in the Korean industry. No need for other people to keep constantly reminding us.

Guest Kiseki_Yoona

If you (like me, I'm not asian at all) are going to an audition for a Korean company- and you really want to get their attention, you should sing IN KOREAN. You have to look at it from their perspective too, if you want to be in a Korean company, you have to be able to sing in Korean.

I went to the SM Auditions before, and I was one of a small handful of non-asians there. But, none of the others sang in Korean. I got interviewed and got to meet Henry (I think, the one who plays the Violin?) from SM last year. It is a rewarding experience, and they weren't mean or rude or anything. I don't think they are particularly looking for non-asian stars right now, but not many companies will ignore a great singer. Give it your best, because you never know! (I know auditions are over for now, but just so you know for next year, you aren't the only one giving it a try! ^^ )

Guest Maikeru

Ok, i really understand that people who arent asian that want to auditon. I really think its cool that others are interested in Korean culture and music. However it be really hard fo ranyone not asian to make it. It doesnt work like that. ITs Korea, its not like the US. Even in the US asains debuting here have low chance of evr making it big. BUt you never know, thats why people like JYP are trying to help expand the musci industry. Good lUCk

as if they're looking for stars to debut in Korea...

right now the main goals are China and USA

As long as they have a few acts going on in Korea, and some in Japan to actually earn some money...

but SM has trainees from all the Asian countries, Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, Korea, you name it they've got a trainee

so I don't think it's so important that foreigners (including Westerners) "can't make it in Korea" because it doesn't really matter

foreigners can make it in China (there are famous chinese-language foreign singers there), and Japan (foreigners here too), and the USA, and those are the places that SM concentrates on the most right now

so whether or not SM /wants/ to find foreign performers, now that's a different story, and no one knows the plans inside Lee Soo Man's head

no one thought boa was gonna debut in the USA, but out of what seemed no where the plan just appeared

but in reality they had been preparing for 3 years

who knows, SM could already have been training some westerners but kept it secret... all these things we can never know for certain unless you're Lee Soo Man's buddy

Guest happy619

as if they're looking for stars to debut in Korea...

right now the main goals are China and USA

As long as they have a few acts going on in Korea, and some in Japan to actually earn some money...

but SM has trainees from all the Asian countries, Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, Korea, you name it they've got a trainee

so I don't think it's so important that foreigners (including Westerners) "can't make it in Korea" because it doesn't really matter

foreigners can make it in China (there are famous chinese-language foreign singers there), and Japan (foreigners here too), and the USA, and those are the places that SM concentrates on the most right now

so whether or not SM /wants/ to find foreign performers, now that's a different story, and no one knows the plans inside Lee Soo Man's head

no one thought boa was gonna debut in the USA, but out of what seemed no where the plan just appeared

but in reality they had been preparing for 3 years

who knows, SM could already have been training some westerners but kept it secret... all these things we can never know for certain unless you're Lee Soo Man's buddy

Where are u getting this at?

They can't stop you from auditioning, but they won't pick you probably

BUT! If you're mixed (example: Chinese French) and really pretty then I think you can ^^

Guest oddlykara

You would probably be better off auditioning for avex.

Guest divinexoath

no non-asians can audition. sm rules.

Er...

...have you watched recent audition clips?

Plenty of non-asians auditon. o_O;

Anyway,

I'm going to audition, as well.

Right now I'm not the most amazing singer ever, so I'mma work on it,

but I have plenty of time (like possibly over a year).

Plus, I'm pretty confident in my dancing, rapping, and acting skills...

...so I'm hoping if they see I can pretty much do it all, they'll want to take me. xDDD

• 1 month later...

hi!.....i send pictures of me and i think a video of me singing...in like a month or so i recive a email of SM telling me that they inform me the date and everything about the audition, but i think they just try to be kind on me, because i recent know that the audition ends.....i look like an asian girl because i have chinesse descendense.....:( you think that they just send me the email just for be polite...?

Guest Snakes10

Honesty Below:

The Korean Entertainment Business is looking for Asians. When they say Asians, they mean East Asians.

I am really sorry to say it, but the word "Asian" is mentioned only because they are trying to avoid being discriminatory towards other races.

SM Entertainment is notorious for this, much more so than other big companies like DSP, JYP, or YG.

Lets see why the Hallyu has taken over by storm.

Korean Singers are known for two things, their exceptional looks and their unique singing. The K-Pop image can only fit with East Asians. Why would SM have trainees from Thailand or Cambodia? They do not fit in with the popular Hallyu.

I guarentee that if a Thailand Singer were to debut here, they would fail. Koreans are VERY strict when it comes to the image of their singers. There is no leeway with this otherwise one would have debuted already.

There ARE SOME exceptions, but they are so unique that they dont fall under any of this. Those two being Nick Khun from 2PM and the girl from MISO. Nick Khun is a mixed blood, and he got almost everything right with the physical gene pool. His looks are what got him in the industry, I guarentee that. Unless you are EXTREMELY good looking, dont even try if you are one of the non-East Asian nationalities. And the girl from MISO, she was raised in Korea and can speak Korean and sings very very well. I highly doubt that many of you fall under either of these categories, and if you do, then you should def. audition.

If people never knew any of this, then you are naive. If you cannot realize this, then you dont understand the Korean Entertainment business enough to have any sort of impact in it.

Im sorry if I hurt peoples feelings to much, but thats life and this is a business that thrives on recognition.

Guest cynstar.

like what Snakes10 said above, certain realities have to be faced.

if your not asian, part asian, or even look asian, its not going to happen.

you would have to at least know the language or be amazingly talented.

and if you are that talented, why the asian entertainment industry?

i think one of the only artists that have done this is crystal kay,

shes of african/korean decent and debuted in japan.

but, even though shes dark skinned, she has a mixed asian look,

great voice, and fluent in japanese. but then again, jmusic is much more open

to foreigners than the kpop industry.

Guest Onizuka

I think non asians should try pursuing the American Industry. I don't think there's chance in the Asian Industry.

Besides, if you're so darn talented, why Korean industry? American industry earn x1000 times more than Asians.

I do think Eurasians still have chance though. Because with some mix of european, the person will look more attractive and unique. But they have to look more on the Asian side.

Archived