Birth Control

Guest Jamila

Guest cerulean.skies

My girlfriend and I are planning on becoming sexually active (we're both virgins, and 18). We decided that Ortho Evra is the best option for us, since there's no chance of STDs being passed between us and the pill seems like a hassle.

For those who might have misunderstood the sentence at first like I did - Ortho Evra patch does NOT protect you from STDs. At first, I understood what you wrote as "ortho evra" being protective against STDs, but then I read it again and realized you might have meant that there's no chance of STDs being passed between you two because you're monogamous and healthy, so a non-condom option is not out of the question... at least I hope that's what you meant! Only condoms will work against preventing STDs. The patch, like the pill, does not protect against STDs.

Most males don't enjoy using condoms because they only care about how it feels for them (but likewise, it feels better for the female without a condom as well, I just don't think it makes as big a difference as for the male), so I would suggest that if you're not going to use a condom with the patch that you both get tested before you start becoming sexually active. And be HONEST with each other in the relationship... not that I'm doubting you or your girlfriend, but it kind of defeats the point of getting tested if you're going to be sexually active with other people (orally, anally or through vaginal penetration) and keep it from your partner (AKA Cheating. Hey... it's college. Who knows what you guys/girls will do?). That way, you'll both probably end up getting STDs.

Aside from that, please take other precautions... be considerate. I know it's your first time and all, but please pull out before you ejaculate even if she's on BCP, or at least don't make it a regular thing... I don't know about your girl, but most girls don't want that gunk building up inside their vagina. Otherwise, she'll have more concerns, like douching, which is very unhealthy for a girl.

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest felinius

Bumping thread since someone is wondering about birth control.

If anyone has any birth control related questions, send em my way and I'll try to answer. Currently I'm doing work with a women's clinic and educating on birth control.

Guest yoosufan

BIRTH CONTROL YOU'RE USING: Estelle something

HOW LONG YOU'VE BEEN ON BIRTH CONTROL: used it for about 5 months

POSITIVE SIDE EFFECTS (and how long it took to notice them): lessening of period, less cramps, less acne - the acne started clearing up in about 6 weeks but that might've been cause i was on antibiotics too

NEGATIVE SIDE EFFECTS: WEIGHT GAIN!! Gained about 9 pounds when I used it. Couldn't take the weight gain anymore so I stopped taking them

WHAT YOU THOUGHT/HOPED BC COULD/WOULD DO: clear up my acne, lessen periods cause I was living in a dorm.

OTHER INFO: you get major weight gain if you're lucky.

Guest PinkNekoLelu

BIRTH CONTROL YOU'RE USING: Depo-Provera Contraceptive Injection

HOW LONG YOU'VE BEEN ON BIRTH CONTROL: 8 Months

POSITIVE SIDE EFFECTS (and how long it took to notice them): After 3 months my period was almost completely gone, before I had a heavy period for 7-10 days! Now every other month I get a brown discharge that lasts for only a few days and it's very light. Also at the same time it completely got rid of my cramps and my cramps use to be so bad that I had prescription medicine to alleviate the pain (Naproxen). There's no pill you have to take everyday there's no patch you have to change there's basically nothing you need to remember except to go get it every 3 months. I live at home with my very conservative parents and they would kill me if they found out I was having sex. With this shot its virtually impossible for them to find out.

NEGATIVE SIDE EFFECTS: IT'S A SHOT D: After 2 years my doctor told me I have to change to a different birth control because some studies have found to lower bone density.

WHAT YOU THOUGHT/HOPED BC COULD/WOULD DO: My only problem is that there's a possibility of having my bone density lowered but I take calcium with vitamin D everyday it's good for my bones and women in general should be taking it, and as it bonus it hardens your nails.

OTHER INFO: It's free at planned parenthood

Guest fierrry

BIRTH CONTROL YOU'RE USING: Currently using the NuvaRing.

HOW LONG YOU'VE BEEN ON BIRTH CONTROL: 2 years now.

POSITIVE SIDE EFFECTS (and how long it took to notice them): Bigger breasts! Hahhaha. And an ultra short period! Mine is only 3 days maximum.

NEGATIVE SIDE EFFECTS: I get the munchies reallllly badly! And occasionally I get stomach muscle cramps/spasms. And I think the hormones make me break out (just slightly, a pimple or two here or there). I used to have really clear skin! Oh, and I forgot to add-- my bf gets sore if I leave my ring in while we have sex so I just take it out (I can take it out for 4 hours max).

WHAT YOU THOUGHT/HOPED BC COULD/WOULD DO: To keep me from getting pregnant.

OTHER INFO: I first started on Ortho Tricyclen-Lo and these pills made me drrrrry, even if I was turned on I could not get dry. It frustrated me and the bf to no end! After two months I gave up on it and as soon as I got off the pills it was easy to get wet again. Sorry if that's TMI! I thought it was just Ortho and went on another brand for one month and same thing! So I just gave up on pills. Not to mention it's such a hassle to remember to take the pill at the exact time every day! Hahah.

Then I went on the patch and as soon as I got on the patch within the day I started getting dizzy and nauseous. I figured maybe it was just my body adjusting so I gave it a month... nope! Didn't change my side affects so I quit that too.

I am now on NuvaRing and it's fantastic! I put it in and forget about it for three weeks, then take it out for a week, and that's it! No fuss. And no side effects other than bigger breasts. Hahaha.

Guest fierrry

is it true that BC makes your boobs bigger? o___O I see alot of people writing that...

My Ring made mine bigger but nothing too incredibly miraculous though. Lol. Kinda like if your breasts get bigger during your time of the month (maybe half a cup?). That's about it though.

:lol:

BIRTH CONTROL YOU'RE USING: Ortho Tri-cyclen

HOW LONG YOU'VE BEEN ON BIRTH CONTROL: about 8 months

POSITIVE SIDE EFFECTS (and how long it took to notice them): period only lasts 3-4 days, semi-lighter flow, "fuller" breasts (although my breasts haven't grown much), less acne or just none (never really had any to begin with)

NEGATIVE SIDE EFFECTS: first couple months of use I endured: nausea, mood swings, stomach cramps, sometimes back pain, dizziness

WHAT YOU THOUGHT/HOPED BC COULD/WOULD DO: bigger breasts (didn't work out so well), lighter periods (which did happen)

OTHER INFO: anti-prego.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest fur_elise

i just want to ask if its ok for me to use BC pills even if i dont have any problems with my menstrual cycle and i dont really have that much pimples, and no i wont use it for contraception purposes,i just want the increasing breast size effect and a clearer skin. :P so if anyone could tell me tnx :D

Guest felinius

i just want to ask if its ok for me to use BC pills even if i dont have any problems with my menstrual cycle and i dont really have that much pimples, and no i wont use it for contraception purposes,i just want the increasing breast size effect and a clearer skin. :P so if anyone could tell me tnx :D

It's not even guaranteed that you'll get clearer skin or increase in breast size from birth control. What happens as a result depends from person to person.

Guest fur_elise

It's not even guaranteed that you'll get clearer skin or increase in breast size from birth control. What happens as a result depends from person to person.

your right, i just read a while ago the effect/comments and some of them their skin become worst.i was planning to buy diane35 but am scared to use it now :o

Guest Eun_neptune_Him

BIRTH CONTROL YOU'RE USING: Yaz

HOW LONG YOU'VE BEEN ON BIRTH CONTROL: for almost a year

POSITIVE SIDE EFFECTS (and how long it took to notice them): in about 2 months I started loosing weight (still as of today) and the way that i eat has change greatly, my face is all cleared up, I used to have a face full of pimples, but now it's clear and my skin is lighter.

NEGATIVE SIDE EFFECTS: didn't have any

WHAT YOU THOUGHT/HOPED BC COULD/WOULD DO: I needed to take this medication to adjust my hormones. "that time of month" before would go on and would only stop for 3 days a month. I gained a lot of weight because of it. And now I feel really good after loosing 58 lbs so far.

OTHER INFO: my mom was against it at first, but after being convinced by a women gynecologist she's really happy with the results.

Guest emma007

I am curious if any of you know that hormonal birth control, such as birth control pills, can cause abortions? Most people do not know this information, so I thought I would shed some light on it. The pill is suppose to work by preventing ovulation from occurring, however, it has back up mechanisms for when that fails. One way it works is by changing the cervical fluid, which makes it harder for the sperm to reach the egg. The other way it works is by making the womb hostile to a fertilized egg, and won't allow for implantation...aka abortion.

Don't believe me? The information is out there. Go to a site like drugs.com and look up your birth control information. For example, I looked up Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo and it stated, "Ethinyl estradiol and norgestimate contains a combination of female hormones that prevent ovulation (the release of an egg from an ovary). This medication also causes changes in your cervical mucus and uterine lining, making it harder for sperm to reach the uterus and harder for a fertilized egg to attach to the uterus."

Most people are totally unaware of this.

Guest felinius

I am curious if any of you know that hormonal birth control, such as birth control pills, can cause abortions? Most people do not know this information, so I thought I would shed some light on it. The pill is suppose to work by preventing ovulation from occurring, however, it has back up mechanisms for when that fails. One way it works is by changing the cervical fluid, which makes it harder for the sperm to reach the egg. The other way it works is by making the womb hostile to a fertilized egg, and won't allow for implantation...aka abortion.

Don't believe me? The information is out there. Go to a site like drugs.com and look up your birth control information. For example, I looked up Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo and it stated, "Ethinyl estradiol and norgestimate contains a combination of female hormones that prevent ovulation (the release of an egg from an ovary). This medication also causes changes in your cervical mucus and uterine lining, making it harder for sperm to reach the uterus and harder for a fertilized egg to attach to the uterus."

Most people are totally unaware of this.

No, hormonal birth control canNOT cause abortion. If you are pregnant, it will not cause an abortion. It will prevent you FROM getting pregnant. This is the exact same mechanism as the morning after pill -- if you are already pregnant, the morning after pill will not work. The reason is that morning after pill is just a hormonal birth control in a very large dose.

So, I would like to say it's obvious you don't know what an abortion is.

The administration of mifepristone, which is taken orally, takes place in a clinic under medical supervision. Mifepristone, also known as RU-486, blocks the hormone progesterone, which is essential to the buildup of the uterine lining that will support the embryo in the womb. The dose of this drug causes the lining to break down, and bleeding similar to a menstrual period occurs.

The hormones in BIRTH CONTROL are: progestin and estrogen. They are TOTALLY different hormones than the RU-486.

Hormonal birth control works to:

1. Stop the egg from being released

2. Thin the lining in the uterus

3. Make the environment more harmful for sperm

:ph34r:

Guest plumplum

BIRTH CONTROL: Ortho Tri-cyclen.

HOW LONG YOU'VE BEEN ON BIRTH CONTROL: About 9 months (this one, about 5 months)

POSITIVE SIDE EFFECTS: Fuller breasts, clear skin, no baby.

NEGATIVE SIDE EFFECTS: Nausea, didn't shorten my period, I still get cramps that last about a day.

WHAT YOU THOUGHT/HOPED BC COULD/WOULD DO: Clear my skin and no baby.

I like this stuff. It's cheap, and effective. We still use condoms, though, just in case.

Guest emma007

No, hormonal birth control canNOT cause abortion. If you are pregnant, it will not cause an abortion. It will prevent you FROM getting pregnant. This is the exact same mechanism as the morning after pill -- if you are already pregnant, the morning after pill will not work. The reason is that morning after pill is just a hormonal birth control in a very large dose.

So, I would like to say it's obvious you don't know what an abortion is.

The hormones in BIRTH CONTROL are: progestin and estrogen. They are TOTALLY different hormones than the RU-486.

Hormonal birth control works to:

1. Stop the egg from being released

2. Thin the lining in the uterus

3. Make the environment more harmful for sperm

:ph34r:

I am afraid that you are the wrong on this one. You said it your self that birth control causes the lining of the uterus to thin. The whole point of that is so an egg cannot attach to the uterus. The only time an egg would attach is after it has been fertilized, aka a new life has formed. Life begins at conception, not at implantation.

Guest felinius

I am afraid that you are the wrong on this one. You said it your self that birth control causes the lining of the uterus to thin. The whole point of that is so an egg cannot attach to the uterus. The only time an egg would attach is after it has been fertilized, aka a new life has formed. Life begins at conception, not at implantation.

If you're trolling, you really succeeded at your job. If you're not, then I have to say that maybe you want to go take some biology / health classes. <_<

The whole point of birth control is to actually stop the egg from being sent from the ovaries in the first place. Part number two and three are actually there in case of emergency, that an egg is released. Again, if a woman was actually pregnant, then the birth control would have no effect.

Science has noted that life is on-going in organic beings. Zygotes are alive, sperm are alive; but the issue that you actually incorrectly pointed out was "personhood." Which is a totally different subject all together. :)

BIRTH CONTROL YOU'RE USING: Ortho Evra - Patch

HOW LONG YOU'VE BEEN ON BIRTH CONTROL: 3 months

POSITIVE SIDE EFFECTS (and how long it took to notice them): no baby and mere spotting, but i've always been a light period person with light amount of cramps

NEGATIVE SIDE EFFECTS: weight gain

WHAT YOU THOUGHT/HOPED BC COULD/WOULD DO: prevention of baby and possibly to help lose some weight (and boobs) but only 1 of the 3 hopes happened :D

OTHER INFO: no longer on birth control, although i heard it only takes 5-6 months to flush the meds from your body. my sister doesn't use birth control and she's been baby free for 3 years, but she has two kids who are about 3 years apart from each other.

Guest handmedown

BIRTH CONTROL YOU'RE USING: Yaz

HOW LONG YOU'VE BEEN ON BIRTH CONTROL: about 6 months.

POSITIVE SIDE EFFECTS (and how long it took to notice them): Clear skin!! (At least, a dramatic cut-down on hormonal acne. I still break out a bit close to my period, but it's nowhere NEAR where it was, and I have pretty much no blemishes the rest of the month. :D ) Extremely short periods -- mine now last 1 &1/2 -- 2 days. Fewer cramps and pretty much no bloating. Knowing exactly when my period is going to be!

NEGATIVE SIDE EFFECTS: weight loss (I'm already a bit underweight), loss of appetite, moodiness (I've always been moody near my period, but now it's... there's a weird feeling to it that makes it clear that it's hormones, if that makes any sense?)

WHAT YOU THOUGHT/HOPED BC COULD/WOULD DO: clear up skin, shorter/easier periods

OTHER INFO: Definitely be very aware of your health while on BC. It can affect everyone differently! My loss of appetite and weight loss caused a few other problems (now fixed :) ). If a health concern pops up, get it looked at straightaway to determine if it's a side-effect of the BC or a side-effect OF a side-effect. xD

• 2 weeks later...
Guest emma007

If you're trolling, you really succeeded at your job. If you're not, then I have to say that maybe you want to go take some biology / health classes. <_<

The whole point of birth control is to actually stop the egg from being sent from the ovaries in the first place. Part number two and three are actually there in case of emergency, that an egg is released. Again, if a woman was actually pregnant, then the birth control would have no effect.

Science has noted that life is on-going in organic beings. Zygotes are alive, sperm are alive; but the issue that you actually incorrectly pointed out was "personhood." Which is a totally different subject all together. :)

I am not trolling. Birth control is suppose to work by preventing to release an egg, but it doesn't always work. Hence the back up mechanisms. However, once a sperm and egg meet, guess what! A new life is formed. That happens prior to the egg attaching to the uterus. However, birth control makes it so the egg cannot implant in most cases. That causes the fertilized egg, which is a new life, to be aborted. Since it happens so early, people do not even realize it happens. But it doesn’t change the fact that it is murder. Obviously, me giving people this information may not make anyone second guess their choice to use birth control. But I wanted to let people know that, many of may have killed innocent life by something that world has deemed as “harmless” and “good”.

There is lots of info on the internet about this.

Archived