[news] Kim Heechul Undergoes Surgery To Remove Metal Rod From His Leg

Guest damifino

Guest damifino

Kim Heechul, surgery to remove metal rod that has been in his body for 2 years

Entered 2008.06.18 19:37

Popular male group Super Junior's Kim Heechul received surgery to remove a metal rod that has been in his body for the past 2 years.

On the afternoon of the 18th, Kim Heechul received surgery to remove a metal rod in his thigh at Samsung Seoul Hospital in Ilwondong, Seoul. Back in August of 2006, Kim Heechul was involved in a car accident on the freeway as he was returning to Seoul from the funeral of the father of fellow group member Donghae, breaking both his thigh and ankle which required 12 weeks of recovery as well as surgery to place metal rods.

Kim Heechul resumed activities in the beginning of last year, 6 months after the accident, through Super Junior's subgroup Super Junior-T and received popularity through hosting SBS '인기가요 (Inkigayo)' by showing his special quality of cheerful disposition.

On the past 19th, Kim Heechul received a severe swelling of the nose due to an incident where he fell in his apartment. But in March, he injured his nose after a fall due to his weakened vision after having had surgery to correct his vision. (N.B. They made a mistake here, it's the same incident)

According to the hospital staff's diagnosis, Kim Heechul, who receive surgery to remove the metal rod, should be able to resume normal activities after about a month of rehabilitation treatment.

Reporter Kim Won Gyum gyummy@donga.com

내 손안의 뉴스 동아 모바일 401 + 네이트, 매직n, ez-i

ⓒ 동아일보 & donga.com, 무단 전재 및 재배포 금지

DO NOT take translation out of Soompi.

Original source

http://www.donga.com/fbin/output?n=200806180469

This is Heechul's third surgery due to his car accident. He initially had a 5 hour emergency surgery to place pins in his left broken thigh bone and ankle on the day of the accident on August 10, 2006. He had also torn his tongue during the accident which required numerous stitches. He stated later that he bit into his tongue so hard that it tore in order to prevent himself from passing out from shock. Then two months later on October 10, 2006 he had surgery to remove the pins from his ankle. Then a year and 10 months later on June 18, 2008, he had his third and hopefully final surgery to remove the metal rod in his thigh.

When he started his broadcast hiatus back in mid-March 2008 due to his nose injury, he said on his minihompy that one of the reasons he was taking an extended break from broadcast was not only due to his nose injury, but because of his leg which was making twisting metal noises when he moved.

Here's a pic of Heechul at the hospital about a month after his first surgery in August 2006

hospital.jpg

Here is an x-ray of the metal rod that was in his thigh as shown on Exporation of the Human Body last November 2007

1195392823_071118.gif

Here's one of Heechul's few public appearances in the past few months as MC of the Dream Concert

mc6.jpg

All pics are from the Heechul thread, credit to various Petals

And so continues Heechul broadcast hiatus that started back in mid-March 2008...

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest wing834

woah, that rod is MASSIVE~ i wonder how the doctors get it out, do they drill a hole, or cut the whole leg open? hope heechul can recover very soon, missing his presence on variety shows :D

Guest JunsuLove

Ahh, Heechul!

This guy is really amazing undergoing all these surgeries and still so jolly.

Recover safely and I can't wait to see you perform again ^_^

Guest fobbiyo

Oh deng. I never knew he had the rod in him in the first place O_o Is the surgery over already? I hope it goes smoothly!

Awww, another month without Heechul? Is this one of the reasons why he's not in Happy?

Guest babee012

just reading about it sounds painful ><

but i hope the surgery went smoothly and that he recovers quickly (:

and hopefully.. it's his last surgery ^^

so that's why heenim have been out of the scene

now we know and can start hoping heenim heals fast and can now stop worry about that leg of hims

Guest I<3SunSunYeMi

its okay he doesnt need to do anything on his face lol

take care heechul,so hee need your love haha :D^_^

Guest bibotatu

Thank you eunice for starting the thread. I know you really worry for HeeChul <3 I bet all of his petals are ... that including me. Gosh, he must be in lots of pain right now :tears:

Let's just pray (despite the fact that he's atheist and I'm too) this will be his last surgery and coming back to us with fully recover health.

omgosh the topic title scared me for a second.

I thought Heechul got into another accident & a metal rod pierced his leg.

I hope Heechul has a thorough recovery so we can see this prince sing, dance & act like his crazy self.

Archived