[movie 2008] The Chaser 추격자

Guest kdramafanusa

Guest kdramafanusa

Source: KOFIC Jan 09, 2009

HAF Selects 4 Korean Projects

The Hong Kong – Asia Film Financing Forum (HAF) has chosen 4 South Korean projects, including the latest by director NA Hong-jin (The Chaser), for its high-profile project market, taking place March 23 – 25, 2009 alongside the Hong Kong International Film Festival (March 22 – April 13).

NA will present his new project, titled The Murderer, the tale of a man who is forced to become a murderer through physical necessity. The director’s debut film The Chaser was an unexpected hit at the Korean box office, becoming the second-highest grossing film of 2008.

Korea’s top action director RYOO Seung-wan will bring The Enforcer, his seventh feature project to HAF. The director is known for such popular hits as Arahan (2004), Crying Fist (2005) and City of Violence (2006).

Also invited were YIM Pil-sung with a project called The Flower of Evil and LEE Jeong-beom with A Secret Boy. YIM debuted with 2005 feature Antarctic Journal followed by fairy-tale horror Hansel and Gretel (2007). LEE debuted with gangster-drama Cruel Winter Blues (2006).

HAF selected a total of 27 projects, with an emphasis on those that find a common ground between art house and commercial values. Noticeable also was the selection of star newcomers like NA and Taiwan’s Wei Te-Sheng (Cape No.7). Asian projects comprise 26 of those selected.

Nigel D’Sa (KOFIC)

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest kdramafanusa

College Students' Choice - Best Korean Film 'The Chaser'

대학생 선정 최고 한국영화 '추격자'

20090112113515334.jpg

Kim Yoon-Seok & Ha Jung-Woo's 'The Chaser'

Related Articles: AsiaToday 2009-01-12 11:43 | Yonhap 2009.01.12 11:35 | clip

Annual survey conducted at 10 universities in Korea from November 27 to December 9; participated by 1014 college students.

Best Film

1. Na Hong-Jin's 'The Chaser' - 28.1%

2. Kim Ji-Woon's 'The Good, The Bad, The Weird' - 19%

3. Won Shin-Yeon's 'Seven Days' - 6.9%

4. Lim Soon-Rye's 'Forever The Moment' - 6.8%

5. Jung Yoon-Soo's 'My Wife Got Married' - 4.1%

Most Disappointed Film

1. Kim Ji-Woon's 'The Good, The Bad, The Weird' - 10.8%

2. Lee Joon-Ik's 'Sunny' - 4.8%

3. Ryu Seung-Wan's 'Dachimawa Lee' - 4.4%

4. Park Yong-Jib's 'Miss Gold Digger' - 4.3%

5. Jeon Yoon-Soo's 'Portrait Of A Beauty' - 3.4%

Best Film Director

1. Na Hong-Jin (The Chaser) - 27.4%

2. Kim Ji-Woon (GBW) - 13.6%

Best Actor

1. Ha Jung-Woo - 19.5%

Best Actress

1. Son Ye-Jin - 34.5%

Best Couple

1. Kim Joo-Hyuk & Son Ye-Jin (My Wife Got Married) - 20.9%

2. Ha Jung-Woo & Jeon Do-Yeon (My Dear Enemy) - 6.9%

Guest kdramafanusa

Source: VARIETY

http://www.variety.com/index.asp?layout=pr...categoryid=1983

Posted: Wed., Jan. 21, 2009, 3:31am PT

'The Good' leads Asian awards race

Korean Western takes eight nominations

By MARCUS LIM

HONG KONG — Kim Jee-woon’s Korean Western "The Good, the Bad, the Weird" leads the list of nominations for this year's Asian Film Awards.

Film, about a chase for treasure through the wilderness of Manchuria, collected eight noms, including feature, director and cinematography, as well as supporting actor nods for both Jung Woo-sung and Lee Byung-hun.

Other best film contenders include Chen Kaige's "Forever Enthralled," Hayao Miyazaki's "Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea," Riri Riza's "The Rainbow Troops, John Woo’s "Red Cliff" and Kiyoshi Kurusawa’s "Tokyo Sonata."

The kudofest also announced the creation of a best newcomer category to augment the existing acting awards.

The nominations were announced Wednesday by the Hong Kong Intl. Film Festival Society, organizers of the AFA.

In a nod to the award's pan-Asian ambitions, the nominations this year also included a significant Bollywood contingent. Comedian Akshay Kumar and actress Deepika Padukone both received nods for their respective turns in "Singh is Kinng" and "Chandni Chowk to China," while Hindi period epic "Jodhaa Akbar" came up for contention in the production design and composer categories.

Local Hong Kong films, however, were significantly shut out of the major creative categories. With the exception of favorite son John Woo ("Red Cliff") running for the director prize, and Nick Cheung stalking the supporting actor category for his performance in Emperor Motion Pictures' crime thriller "Beast Stalker," no other Hong Konger or Hong Kong film was nominated in the acting, directing or film categories.

The jury that will select the eventual winners is given some star power with former Bond-girl and "Crouching Tiger" alumnus Michelle Yeoh presiding over the panel.

The 13-member jury includes Peggy Chiao, chair of Taiwan's Golden Horse Awards, as well as Kong Rithdee, Thailand correspondent for Variety.

The AFA will be held in Hong Kong, March 23.

Nominations for the 3rd Asian Film Awards

FILM

"Forever Enthralled"

"The Good, the Bad, the Weird"

"Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea"

"The Rainbow Troops"

"Red Cliff"

"Tokyo Sonata"

DIRECTOR

Feng Xiaogang, "If you are the one"

Kim Jee-woon, "The Good, the bad, the Weird"

Koreeda Hirokazu, "Still Walking"

Brillante Mendoza, "Service"

Hayao Miyazaki/Frank Marshall, "Ponyo on the Cliff by the sea"

John Woo, "Red Cliff"

ACTOR

Ge You, "If you are the one"

Ha Jung-woo, "The Chaser"

Akshay Kumar, "Singh is Kinng"

Matsuyama Kenichi, "Detroit Metal City"

Motoki Masahiro, "Departures"

Song Kang-ho, "The Good, the bad, the Weird"

ACTRESS

Fukatsu Eri, "The Magic Hour"

Jiang Wenli, "And the Spring Comes"

Deepika Padukone, "Chandni Chowk to China"

Yoshinaga Sayuri, "Kabei — our Mother"

Zhou Wei, "Painted Skin"

Zhou Xun, "The Equation of Love and Death"

NEWCOMER

Matsuda Shota, "Boys Over Flowers: the Movie"

Sandrine Pinna, "Miao Miao"

So Ji-sub, "Rough cut"

Xu Jian, "CJ7"

Jeeja Yanin, "Chocolate"

Yu Shaoqun, "Forever Enthralled"

SUPPORTING ACTOR

Nick Cheung, "Beast Stalker"

Jung Woo-sung, "The Good, the Bad, the Weird"

Lee Byung-hun, "The Good, the Bad, the Weird"

Tsutsumi Shinichi, "Suspect X"

Wang Xueqi, "Forever Enthralled"

SCREENWRITER

Na Hong-jin, "The Chaser"

Li Qiang, "And the Spring Comes"

Tom Lin/Henry Tsai, "Winds of September"

Kurosawa Kiyoshi/Max Mannix/Tanaka Sachiko, "Tokyo Sonata"

Mitani Koki, "The Magic Hour"

CINEMATOGRAPHER

Ato Shoichi, "Paco and the Magical Book"

Cheng Siu-keung, "Sparrow"

Lee Mo-gae, "The Good, the bad, the Weird"

Jola Dylewska, "Tulpan"

Wang Yu/Nelson Yu, "24 City"

PRODUCTION DESIGNER

Nitin Chandrakant Desai, "Jodhaa Akbar"

Kuwajima Towako, "Paco and the Magical Book"

Daniel Lee Yan-kong, "Three Kingdoms: Resurrection of the Dragon"

Bill Lui, "Painted Skin"

Taneda Yohei, "The Magic Hour"

COMPOSER

Dalpalan/Jang Young-gyu, "The Good, the bad, the Weird"

Hanno Yoshihiro/Lim Giong, "24 City"

Hisaishi Joe, "Ponyo on the Cliff by the sea"

Henry Lai Wan-man, "Three Kingdoms: Resurrection of the Dragon"

A.R. Rahman, "Jodhaa Akbar"

EDITOR

Chan Ki-hop, "Beast Stalker"

William Chang Suk-ping, "Miao Miao"

Darya Danilova, "Native Dancer"

Waluyo Ichwandiardono, "The Rainbow Troops"

Kim Sun-min, "The Chaser"

VISUAL EFFECTS

Craig Hayes, "Red Cliff"

Kim Wook, "The Good, the bad, the Weird"

Yanagawase Masahide, "Paco and the Magical Book"

Hi kdramafanusa, I really wanted to send you CNY wishes but unfortunately the door is closed.

But always wishing you the best in life, in soompi & elsewhere.. and a brighter, better year ahead. :)

---

2009.01.18: Darcy's top 10 Korean films of 2008. I had two major goals for the year 2008: one was to finish writing my book, and the other was to try to breathe some life back into this website. If you are strict about the dates, I suppose I failed in both resolutions, although I did manage to finally send my manuscript to the publisher in the first week of January (six months late). There is still some editing to do on it, but it should be published on schedule in this coming August or September. More about that later...

I hadn't counted on physical problems being my biggest challenge last year, with the RSI in my arms finally reaching a point where I had to stop typing altogether from September. But I've managed to train myself how to use voice recognition software, and in the meantime my arms are healing. The one thing that is especially difficult to do with voice commands is to update the site, but thankfully there are some people who have generously offered to help me.

In the Korean film industry, the general mood in 2008 reached a new low. Companies continued to struggle, and there were a lot of bad films that seemed to display the signs of cut corners or a lack of polish. However if you separate out the good films and consider them as a group, it wasn't such a bad year. Particularly encouraging was the critical and/or commercial success of a number of debut films, including The Chaser, Crush & Blush, Rough Cut, and Scandal Makers.

I rearranged the list below on several occasions before stopping at the current configuration. I have very warm feelings towards the top seven films in particular. I hope that all of them live long in people's memories.

1. The Chaser -- for the genius of its execution, rather than its originality. Director Na Hong-jin may have a long career ahead of him.

2. My Friend and His Wife -- this 2006 film by Shin Dong-il finally received a theatrical release in November. A comparatively low budget, emotionally wracking film that lurches left and right but never loses control.

3. Night and Day -- less tightly wound than many other Hong Sang-soo films, this is one of my favorites.

4. My Dear Enemy -- the directing prowess of Lee Yoon-ki is less obvious in this film than in This Charming Girl or Ad Lib Night, because he lets the amazing acting performances of Ha Jung-woo and Jeon Do-yeon dominate.

5. Crush & Blush -- it's at number five, but this is my emotional favorite because of its weird energy and bad attitude.

6. The Good, the Bad, The Weird -- exciting, funny, quirky, explosive, original, even if a bit thin.

7. Rough Cut -- somehow every part of this film worked really well, and it was hugely entertaining too.

8. Frozen Flower -- a sexy epic period drama that offers up little original, but breathes new energy into familiar settings.

9. Life Track -- a co-winner of the top prize in Pusan in 2007 that was released theatrically in 2008. Anguished and grim, this is a Chinese-Korean coproduction by an ethnic Korean director living in Yanbian.

10. Scandal Makers -- at long last, a Korean comedy that despite being thoroughly conventional, is directed with skill and flair.

Credits: Darcy Paquet at koreanfilm.org

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kdramafanusa

hi..anyone know where can i d/l this movie? with eng sub? or is the dvd out already?

DVD's out already. :)

The Chaser won Best Movie & Best Director at 6th Maxmovie Awards announced on 4 Feb 2009

http://img.news.yahoo.co.kr/picture/2009/7...70_182807_0.jpg

http://www.maxmovie.com/event/2009maxaward/main.asp

The winners were chosen by the netizen (online voting). This year's award ceremony will be held on Feb 18th.

Source: KBS 2009-02-18

Online Users Choose Their Favorite Stars

e090218_01.jpg

Internet users have chosen Cha Tae-hyun of “Speedy Scandal (Scandal Maker)” and Shin Min-ah of “Go Go 70s” as their favorite movie stars. The two film stars will be presented with the best leading actor and actress awards at the 6th Max Movie Grand Film Awards later Wednesday night in Seoul.

Cha’s film “Speedy Scandal” has drawn more than 8 million moviegoers, becoming the seventh highest grossing Korean film. The comedy about three-generation family with Cha as a young grandfather has warmed the hearts of Korean film lovers and again put Cha on the map as the nation’s leading comic actor. Shin was applauded for her role as a dancer in “Go Go 70s,” a film about a rock band struggling to make it in the conservative era of the 1970s.

Other award recipients include director Na Hong-jin of “The Chaser” for the best director’s award, the late Heath Ledger of “Dark Knight” for the best supporting actor category, and Kim Hae-sook of “Open City” for the best supporting actress category.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest kdramafanusa

Source: The Korea Herald 2009.03.05

Four S. Korean films to compete at French film festival

Four South Korean movies, including local box office hit "The Chaser," will compete for top honors at an upcoming Asian film festival in France, the event's organizers were quoted as saying by Yonhap News Agency.

The Deauville Asian Film Festival has also invited "Breathless" and "Members of the Funeral" to its feature award section, and "The Chaser" and "The Divine Weapon" have been nominated for the Action Asia section. This year's Deauville festival, founded in 1999, will be held March 11-15 in the northern French city.

"A Frozen Flower" and "Beastie Boys" have been invited to the event's non-competition Panorama section.

The festival will also show retrospectives of veteran South Korean directors Lee Chang-dong and Lee Yoon-ki, screening four of their films, respectively, including "Oasis" and "The Charming Girl."

Despite an overall shrink in ticket sales amid the ongoing global economic downturn, South Korean films have made it onto screens at several international events this year.

Guest kdramafanusa

Source: KOFIC Mar 06 2009

Cleveland Invites 3 Korean Pearls

The 33rd Cleveland International Film Festival gets underway this month and its Asian sidebar Pacific Pearls will present award-winning fare from South Korea. NA Hong-jin’s The Chaser and KIM So-young’s Treeless Mountain will screen in this section while HONG Sang-soo’s Night and Day will screen in the Continental Airlines World Tour program.

The festival, which takes place in Cleveland, Ohio, opens March 19 and runs through to the 29th. Korean-American director KIM’s sophomore effort, Treeless Mountain is her first shot entirely in Korea and tells the tale of two young sisters shuffled off from mother to aunt to grandparents. It has won numerous prizes including best film at the Dubai Int’l Film Festival.

NA’s multiple award-winner The Chaser is the tale of an ex-cop-turned-pimp hunting down an elusive serial killer (played by HA Jung-woo). It was the first sleeper hit at the 2008 Korean box office and has had its remake rights bought up by Hollywood.

HONG’s Night and Day is the internationally acclaimed auteur’s eighth feature film and set mainly in Paris. It tells the tale of a 40 year-old artist who flees Seoul for Paris after a minor complication with the police. Although happily married and missing his wife, he never-the-less encounters a series of temptations during his sojourn.

Nigel D’Sa (KOFIC)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest kdramafanusa

Source: VARIETY

http://www.variety.com/index.asp?layout=pr...categoryid=1983

Posted: Wed., Jan. 21, 2009, 3:31am PT

The AFA will be held in Hong Kong, March 23.

Nominations for the 3rd Asian Film Awards

FILM

"Forever Enthralled"

"The Good, the Bad, the Weird"

"Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea"

"The Rainbow Troops"

"Red Cliff"

"Tokyo Sonata"

DIRECTOR

Feng Xiaogang, "If you are the one"

Kim Jee-woon, "The Good, the bad, the Weird"

Koreeda Hirokazu, "Still Walking"

Brillante Mendoza, "Service"

Hayao Miyazaki/Frank Marshall, "Ponyo on the Cliff by the sea"

John Woo, "Red Cliff"

ACTOR

Ge You, "If you are the one"

Ha Jung-woo, "The Chaser"

Akshay Kumar, "Singh is Kinng"

Matsuyama Kenichi, "Detroit Metal City"

Motoki Masahiro, "Departures"

Song Kang-ho, "The Good, the bad, the Weird"

ACTRESS

Fukatsu Eri, "The Magic Hour"

Jiang Wenli, "And the Spring Comes"

Deepika Padukone, "Chandni Chowk to China"

Yoshinaga Sayuri, "Kabei — our Mother"

Zhou Wei, "Painted Skin"

Zhou Xun, "The Equation of Love and Death"

NEWCOMER

Matsuda Shota, "Boys Over Flowers: the Movie"

Sandrine Pinna, "Miao Miao"

So Ji-sub, "Rough cut"

Xu Jian, "CJ7"

Jeeja Yanin, "Chocolate"

Yu Shaoqun, "Forever Enthralled"

SUPPORTING ACTOR

Nick Cheung, "Beast Stalker"

Jung Woo-sung, "The Good, the Bad, the Weird"

Lee Byung-hun, "The Good, the Bad, the Weird"

Tsutsumi Shinichi, "Suspect X"

Wang Xueqi, "Forever Enthralled"

SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Gina Pareno ("Service")

SCREENWRITER

Na Hong-jin, "The Chaser"

Li Qiang, "And the Spring Comes"

Tom Lin/Henry Tsai, "Winds of September"

Kurosawa Kiyoshi/Max Mannix/Tanaka Sachiko, "Tokyo Sonata"

Mitani Koki, "The Magic Hour"

CINEMATOGRAPHER

Ato Shoichi, "Paco and the Magical Book"

Cheng Siu-keung, "Sparrow"

Lee Mo-gae, "The Good, the bad, the Weird"

Jola Dylewska, "Tulpan"

Wang Yu/Nelson Yu, "24 City"

PRODUCTION DESIGNER

Nitin Chandrakant Desai, "Jodhaa Akbar"

Kuwajima Towako, "Paco and the Magical Book"

Daniel Lee Yan-kong, "Three Kingdoms: Resurrection of the Dragon"

Bill Lui, "Painted Skin"

Taneda Yohei, "The Magic Hour"

COMPOSER

Dalpalan/Jang Young-gyu, "The Good, the bad, the Weird"

Hanno Yoshihiro/Lim Giong, "24 City"

Hisaishi Joe, "Ponyo on the Cliff by the sea"

Henry Lai Wan-man, "Three Kingdoms: Resurrection of the Dragon"

A.R. Rahman, "Jodhaa Akbar"

EDITOR

Chan Ki-hop, "Beast Stalker"

William Chang Suk-ping, "Miao Miao"

Darya Danilova, "Native Dancer"

Waluyo Ichwandiardono, "The Rainbow Troops"

Kim Sun-min, "The Chaser"

VISUAL EFFECTS

Craig Hayes, "Red Cliff"

Kim Wook, "The Good, the bad, the Weird"

Yanagawase Masahide, "Paco and the Magical Book"

[The Hollywood Reporter]

'Tokyo Sonata' hits high note at AFAs

Japanese films dominate Asian Film Awards

March 23, 2009

By Karen Chu

HONG KONG -- The third Asian Film Awards spread the love around Sunday night, but Japan felt it a little bit more than its neighbors, earning wins in five of the event's 13 categories including best film, director and actor.

Kiyoshi Kurosawa's "Tokyo Sonata" was the only film to nab more than one award, scoring trophies for best film and screenplay.

Japan's Kore-eda Hirokazu took home the best director trophy for "Still Walking," while Motoki Masahiro, star of the foreign-language Oscar winner "Departures," was named best actor.

Masahiro was one of three Japanese attendees who gave organizers a bit of a scare when their flights experienced long delays. The "Departures" star, best composer winner Hisaishi Joe (Hayao Miyazaki's "Ponyo on Cliff by the Sea") and supporting actress nominee Kiki Kirin ("Still Walking") were stuck on the tarmac in Narita International Airport after a cargo plane crash Monday morning caused delays out of the airport.

China made a strong showing in the actress categories, with Zhou Xun earning the best actress nod for "The Equation of Love and Death" and "Forever Enthralled's" Yu Shao-qun taking best newcomer.

The supporting actress award, meanwhile, went to Filipina Gina Pareno for her work in Brillante Mendoza's 2008 Cannes Competition title "Service."

Director Ji-woon Kim's so-called kimchi Western, "The Good, the Bad, the Weird," which led the race with eight nominations, won in just one category -- earning supporting actor for Jung Woo-sung.

Best cinematographer, awarded by a 13-member jury headed by Michelle Yeoh, went to Jola Dylewska for "Tulpan."

Other awards included best production design (Daniel Yan for "Three Kingdoms: Resurrection of the Dragon"), best editor ( Kim Sun-min for "The Chaser") and best visual effects (Craig Hayes for "Red Cliff").

Ha Jung-woo attended the event..

u2389p28t3d2433995f326d.jpgu2389p28t3d2433969f326d.jpg

as tagged

Guest kdramafanusa

Source: KOFIC Mar 19 2009

Breathless and The Chaser win in Europe

YANG Ik-june continued his victorious round along European film festivals. YANG’s Breathless won four more awards over the weekend. Deauville Asian Film Festival awarded Breathless the Grand prix (best film) and the International critic’s award.

At International Film Festival of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria it were the actors who took the honours for Breathless with a Best actor (YANG Ik-june) and Best actress award KIM Kkob-bi).

NA Hong-jin’s The Chaser is still not running out of breath, this time adding the Best action Asia film award from Deauville to its impressive tally. Deauville categorised The Chaser in the Action Asia section.

It is the second year in a row for a Korean film to sweep the top honours at Deauville; last year Deauville crowned JEON Soo-il’s With a Girl of Black Soil with the Grand prix and the International Critic’s award.

Korean films enjoy a high reputation at Deauville, winning numerous awards in various categories. Deauville’s top award went to A Good Lawyer’s Wife (2004), Failan (2002), Joint Security Area/JSA (2001), and Nowhere to Hide (2000) in previous years.

YI Ch’ang-ho (KOFIC)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest kdramafanusa

Source: JoongAng Daily

Master of the remake eyes Korean hits for Hollywood

‘I develop the kind of movies I would normally see myself.’

April 24, 2009

23231821.jpg

Roy Lee

What do the movies “The Uninvited,” “My Sassy Girl” and “The Lake House” have in common?

Most cinephiles probably know that they are all remakes of hit Korean films, but what is less well publicized is the role of Korean-American film producer Roy Lee.

The man they often call the “King of the Asian box-office remake” made his name with his first remake, “The Ring,” the U.S. version of the Japanese horror “Ringu.”

The film that made him a player in Hollywood was “The Departed,” which won Best Picture at the 79th Academy Awards starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Matt Damon.

“My first remake, The Ring, was a hit. If that movie failed, or was terrible, I wouldn’t have continued [in the movie industry],” said Lee, a Korean-American who was born in New York, in a recent interview with the JoongAng Daily.

He was in town a few weeks ago to give a lecture on how Korean movies can advance into the U.S. and overseas markets at a seminar hosted by the Korea Culture and Content Agency in Seoul.

“I knew by the time we had the script for The Ring that it was a great movie because the script was really scary and good. So then I decided to go for other Asian horror movies,” Lee said.

His list of remakes have mainly been horror films or thrillers. “I develop the kind of movies I would normally see myself. I think that it makes it easier for me to develop them because I want to make them in a way I think the viewers will appreciate,” he added.

You may be surprised to hear that Lee, who now makes good money watching movies for a living, wasn’t much of a film fan when he was younger.

“I think it was more that I was interested in creating something. What I liked about the business of film was you actually put movies together and create something that didn’t exist before. I liked that and that’s what attracted me to this business,” said Lee, who was a lawyer before joining the motion picture world.

“Within four months of working at a law firm, I knew that it was not my thing - I didn’t see my future in that.”

Lee currently co-owns the production company Vertigo Entertainment, which was established with his partner Doug Davison in 2001 after six years working on numerous film projects at major Hollywood studios.

The next project for Davison and Lee, according to industry sources, is “The Ring Three,” a prequel to the original The Ring, scheduled for release in 2011.

Following a series of successful remakes, Lee is now eyeing films from all over the world, including three major Korean box-office hits - “Oldboy,” “The Host” and “The Chaser.”

“They are all amazing films and have the most potential to go into production because the profiles of studios and attachments that are involved make studios pay closer attention to them.

“As for Old Boy, because of Will Smith and Steven Spielberg [who will participate in the remake], it has a higher profile in the studios as they feel it could be a hit movie,” Lee said.

Lee said his favorite Korean filmmaker at the moment is Na Hong-jin, the director of The Chaser.

“We’re trying to get him to work with the United States. Warner Bros. has been asking me to get him to come and work with them because they saw potential in the movie The Chaser, as they see him as in the same vein as Chris Nolan and the Wachowski Brothers.”

Lee said he also sees great potential for Korean movies reaching a worldwide audience.

“Korea has been doing movies that feel like Hollywood with those different genres and the amount of diversity, which ranges from thrillers to romantic comedies,” said Lee.

“I also think the way for Korean filmmakers to go forward is co-production. Currently, U.S. studios are not very open to co-production with Korea because they feel Korea is a small market, so Korean companies have to focus on finding interesting content instead of selling [their films] to Hollywood and partner with Hollywood.”

By Park Sun-young [spark0320@joongang.co.kr]

Guest Adeline*

I saw this movie one week ago and WOW I'm really looking forward to see Na Hong-jin's next movie !

No remake please :mellow:

• 1 month later...
Guest selvaspeedy

I saw this movie today, and since lot of people were praising it (practically everyone) and it won many prizes, I expected a lot from it, but I thought it was pretty disappointing! :mellow:

the acting is amazing but the story was so normal! I mean I've seen lot of movies with crazy serial killers for lot of different reasons, and I thought this movie will bring out something different, but it was the same! I thought there will even be a twist at the ending, but there wasn't!

I think I'm the only one who didn't find it AWESOME lol it's an ok movie, but I don't think it deserves all of this praising!

the interrogation scene was also one of my favs! the chasing also looked so real!

and yeah it's a bit creepy if you think there are come crazy people like that killer in your neighborhood!

overall, it was a decent movie, but regarding the "heart-thumbing thriller" and pulsating action", I didn't really feel it! -_-

anyway, thanks for all the articles in this thread! it was really informative.

Guest scents
;) A action film to look froward, and I think it is very interesting story. When they dresses a black coat in the picture, they really looks like a leader of a syndicate, really very realistic.

Saw this one today and thought it was reallly good. The thought of it being inspired by a true story just trips me out. Yeah, Texas Chainsaw was too, but The Chaser was really graphic. The acting was amazing as well. That's what I love about Korean movies. The acting and overall Korean nuances are such a joy to watch.

I would have liked the movie the have ended when the killer finally killed Min-Ji...THAT would have been great. It would have probably left me mad too knowing that the guy was still out there. It would have left you with the feeling that despite all that chasing around, the killer just won at the end. Still a crazy ending though.

• 1 month later...
Guest derrek

does anyone know this on torrent? :_

Yeah there is.

Holy COW. I just watched this. Amazing movie! So many things just didn't happen how most thrillers do. Very good!

Archived