For The Lovers Of Lomography

Guest zsuzsaBAMBAM

Guest Imeline

Hello ! :P

I'm new to photography and especially lomography, although I've always been interested in it. I've been going back on forth on whether going for a digital camera, like a DSLR, or use film instead. I've been lurking and I feel like lomography fits me and I want to start my lomography experience soon!!

I've seen a lot of Diana's and Holga's and Fisheye's coming by haha but I think I'm leaning towards the Diana? However, I'm a total noob at this and so maybe you guys can give me some advice on which one is the best for me? The camera's are really cheap compared to digital ones, but I'd rather have something to go with for a long time. Meaning that I don't want to go for one camera and save up for another one later.

I'm thinking about the Diana F+ camera, but I can't seem to find the difference between the Diana F+ and Diana+ aside from the flash...

I greatly appreciate your help :)

Also... do I need to get expired films to have the effects, like colour changes? Because I don't think they even sell expired films here T.T

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest <Soojin>

eh.. im thinking of getting a diana F+ or a diana mini..

The mini seems pretty ideal and all to me since it saves money @_@

but i hate the size of the mini ..

any suggestions? xD

^^ i don't have the mini , but i do have the diana F+

and let me tell you, the diana F+ is fragile enough that i can't imagine what the mini would be like. cuz everytime i change the film, im so scared that i would break a part off or something cuz it's THAT fragile. the good thing about it though is the aperture settings which has 4 (sunny, cloudy, partial cloud, and pinhole). compared to a mini which only has 2 i think (correct me if im wrong) sunny & cloudy.

there are many disadvantages and advantages of both. but if you like convenience, i would go for the diana mini because it uses a 35 mm film compared to a diana f+ that uses a 120 mm. 120mm film are usually harder to find and more expensive to process. BUT you can always buy a 35 mm converter for it.

personally, i like my diana f+ better with a 120 mm format :P

plus the flash saves my noob aperture settings hahah.

Guest Imeline

^Is it really that fragile?? O.o How ironic that I want something long lasting and still lean towards the Diana... haha :D

But aside from Diana, there are other camera's who have the same settings like that right?

Guest Uverstar

eh.. im thinking of getting a diana F+ or a diana mini..

The mini seems pretty ideal and all to me since it saves money @_@

but i hate the size of the mini ..

any suggestions? xD

You might as well get the Diana F+ haha the diana mini looks extremely fragile~

and plus there's more for the Diana F+ than the mini

or have you settled for any other lomo cameras?

^Is it really that fragile?? O.o How ironic that I want something long lasting and still lean towards the Diana... haha

But aside from Diana, there are other camera's who have the same settings like that right?

yes it's THAT fragile.

it's a plastic camera after all.

well, if you're just starting out, i heard the holga is a good one.

it's just like the diana. medium format, uses a 120 film, aperture settings, etc etc..

looks wise, the diana is more attractive imo.

^Is it really that fragile?? O.o How ironic that I want something long lasting and still lean towards the Diana... haha :D

Holgas are known to be sturdier.. made of thicker plastic.. cheaper too. but yes they're not as cute as Dianas (I love mine but I have a sinking feeling it will break soon. I don't take good care of it haha). I guess advantages of Holgas are the photos come out sharper than the Diana and it has a wider focal length as well. if you're pretty artsy you can just like buy a plain black holga and then decorate it to make it cuter haha ^^' good luckk :D

Guest carrotcake

I just like read through this whole thread during the weekend, and I'm hooked :). I just bought a Holga 135BC & Fisheye lens for it and a while slim angel. I'm really debating if I want to get the Fuji Hello Kitty Instanx Mini 25 though cause I'm not sure if I really need a instanx right now, but I want it. Haha, its so funny, I was about to buy a Lumix LX3 now, but instead of buying a digital camera, I ended up buying a bunch of film cameras :X

BTW, does anyone know how long it takes for the Four Corner Store to ship?

Guest Imeline

Holgas are known to be sturdier.. made of thicker plastic.. cheaper too. but yes they're not as cute as Dianas (I love mine but I have a sinking feeling it will break soon. I don't take good care of it haha). I guess advantages of Holgas are the photos come out sharper than the Diana and it has a wider focal length as well. if you're pretty artsy you can just like buy a plain black holga and then decorate it to make it cuter haha ^^' good luckk :D

Sounds nice :lol: I wonder though, do you really need to use old films to have the effects you mostly get with lomography? Also, how about Fish Eye's? I've heard a lot about them :huh:

Guest breathless.

got four rolls of film developed -- I'm picking up 6 more tomorrow. Overall, I'm satisfied-- but I'm REALLY anxious for my other 6.

03028.jpg

0086v.jpg

- macau

One roll came out too yellow/green for my taste, but Tai O was beautiful.

09224.jpg

- tai o , lantau island

Imeline: by old, do you mean expired films? in order to get the effects, you can use both expired and non-expired [or is it called fresh film?] films. but you know the difference between negatives/normal films and positives/slides right? personally, i like slides more because they give more colour shifts and contrasts. and they can give off tinges of red, green/yellow, blue etc with different kinds of slides. i think it's called colour casts or something.

as for fisheye cameras, i think they're good. but actually you can just get the fisheye lens for both the dianas and for holgas too.

i think the diana F+ has got more vignetting effects if you use the 12 exposures format. but the diana mini doesn't have much vignettes right?

generally, i think lomo cams are all pretty fragile. my friend's holga's casing dropped out while she was taking photos and she had to paste something to secure it. the sponge inside also dropped out. when i went online i found that a lot of people had simple problems like these, and all they had to do was just to do some simple modifications or stick something on. the diana also has got problems too.

Hi, I have a quick question about film : )

I finished a roll last week, but I haven't gotten around to developing it yet... Is there a certain amount of time I have to develop it by before it goes... funky? I don't wanna have to go back to the photo shop every single week.. Would rather save up and go all at once. Hahaha thanks in advance :D

Guest Uverstar

do it in within the first week you've finished the roll or else some of your photos won't develop, I've experienced it a lot of times and still haven't learned my lesson haha

shouldn't be too bad jho! as long as you keep em away from direct sunlight i guess :]

but guess what guyysss!! one of my photos got chosen to be in the top 5 for an online competition and i'd love it if you guys voted for it! click here :D mine's the one titled "one step closer" aka two dwarfs under an umbrella :lol: i'd really appreciate it~ winner receives a Smena/Cosmic Symbol! so I could share more lomo awesomeness with you guys :wub:

aghh wish me luck~~! :)

Guest yummy.pockey

I've been lurking on this post since July, and guys your photos are awesome T__T

blush: you can buy lomos at city super/log on haha

you can buy instant cameras at kodak express and fotomax etc ! theres this one film developing place i've found in north point where the instax mini film is the cheapest i've seen-- $45; the instax itself is $360 ish.

i'm going to HK in december, can you tell me the place for the instax? $360 is pretty cheap!! o___o i want this camera so muchh!

and btw, do you know where can I find a white slim angel in HK? is there in citysuper log-on?

(and i was checking the lomography website in asia, and got surprised to see wonder girls super samplers.. hahaha)

choko6610, i voted for you!!! hope you win, i love your photo!

hehe, yummy.pockey, are you the one who pmed me on fb? =D

Guys I'm soo dreading winter... Seems like there's less things to take pictures of =[ Most of my lomos don't have flash.. *sigh*

Guest Uverstar

voted for you Choko!! and I sent you a pm reply haha sorry for the delay XD

reminds me I really need to buy either the Diana+ or Holga but I can't decide..and seeing as finding 120mm film is pretty much impossible in Melbourne..I'd have to result to buying online but I hate waiting especially when it comes to lomo cameras :( haha

and aaaah jho I didn't mean to scare you~ I just didn't want you to face the same horrors i went through when I received my photos haha

Guest <Soojin>

^

I would say Holga

They have the dreamy effect in the center and vignette outside..

but meh, thats my opinion~~

Or you can get it in Urban? if you have urban there...

Im waiting for my Diana mini right now ): I cant waitt.

///EDIT//

choko6610,

voted fer ya ;D

Guest Uverstar

hahaha I want the holga but then I want the diana T_T..and nooo we don't have urban outfitters here haha so sad~

and Soojin be careful with the diana mini, my friend got his about two weeks ago, he was very careful but now it's um..lets say in a few pieces haha

Archived