Academy Award Nominees 2008

melkimx

Guest HeffyEnd

hum...wondering. is 'la vie en rose' about Edith Piaf?

Yep. :)

I've now seen all of the best picture nominees, and I can say that all five of them are at the least really good movies. This is the best picture line-up I've seen in a long time.

Tilda Swinton won BSA at the BAFTAs last night. This means supp. actress is really up in the air, lol. The only person who I can't see winning is Ronan.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest res0nate

I have to say, this is probably one of the better and memorable Oscar's I've seen in a very long time.

Lot's of tear jerking moments and times where you're genuinely happen for those that won and sad for those that lost. I don't always put much stock in awards and such but this year was different.

I am so glad Marion Cotillard won for best actress - she was incredible in La Vie En Rose. Yes, Ellen Page is amazing as well, but you should all watch this movie and her performance before crying for Ellen Page lol

I've got to say though, I'm a bit disappointed that Enchanted had 3 songs nominated and didn't win. (Who was the woman singing "That's How You Know"?)

Guest HeffyEnd

I have to say, this is probably one of the better and memorable Oscar's I've seen in a very long time.

Lot's of tear jerking moments and times where you're genuinely happen for those that won and sad for those didn't lost. I don't always put much stock in awards and such but this year was different.

I know, I wanted to cry when Diablo and Marion won! NCFOM winning- *high five*

So glad Marion won. I thought she gave the best female performance last year.

And Marketa Irglova and Glen Hansford winning best song! I love that song. I love that MOVIE. And I loved when they had her come back out on stage to give her acceptance speech, lawl. <3

Guest res0nate

Lol at my grammar. I absolutely adored that Hansford & Irglova track, right up there with Moldy Peaches' Anyone Else But You. I loved the speech that Robert Boyle gave as well.

Guest connieyeah

(Who was the woman singing "That's How You Know"?)

Kristin Chenoweth, the actress who plays Olive in Pushing Daisies.

Atonement was robbed. :\

Guest losborrachos

^^kristin chenoweth is also a tony-award winning broadway musical actress. she probably should've used her wicked-voice instead of her candide-voice for this piece but i love cheno so much it hardly mattered. unfortunately amy adams' performance was a little lackluster, i wish they would've given it the so close-treatment, having some dancers and the appropriate costume for gisele.

overall i'm very pleased with the winners this year. i'm ecstatic that dante ferretti won an award for best art direction for sweeney--thoroughly deserved--and obviously dario for atonement's score (just sad that they never played "elegy" throughout atonement's many nominations tonight). i wasn't sure about those two categories so i'm glad my two favorite movies last year got the awards they deserved the most. as expected, sadly, the votes for deakins were probably split between his two films, though i guess it went to elswit instead of kaminszki.

the only thing i found odd was when they did the whole "in memoriam" thing. unlike in the past years, i didn't hear any applause, even when they did antonioni and laszlo kovacs, until ingmar bergman and heath ledger at the very end. i mean, i love bergman as much as the next film student and ledger as much as the next brokeback fan, but it was like everyone waited in suspense for ledger's turn and forgot about the other legends who'd died. on that note, robert boyle is an exceptional designer, but oh how i wish they'd given one to henry bumstead before he died. it's like bummy died and hollywood went, "oh, we forgot about production designers! quick, who's still alive?"

Guest YooMiRi

I know, I wanted to cry when Diablo and Marion won! NCFOM winning- *high five*

So glad Marion won. I thought she gave the best female performance last year.

And Marketa Irglova and Glen Hansford winning best song! I love that song. I love that MOVIE. And I loved when they had her come back out on stage to give her acceptance speech, lawl. <3

OMG, Marion won? Oh yes!!! I'm so happy for her, gotta watch the show later this evening.

Actually out of all the best actress nominations, I only watched her performance in La Vie En Rose. She blew me away. When I went out of the theatre I just thought she should win Oscar for this. She just should. There's no way anybody else is going to snatch it away from her, not with this kind of acting. But then close to the ceremony everyone said how competitive it was, and how other nominees were equally good. I started to have my doubts, since I haven't seen how the others' actings were, so I can't give my judgment. But still deep inside I wanted her to win this. And she did!!! This is excellent!!!

Guest Myss Blewm

I was so happy to see them win! When Marketa came back it was such a sweet speech, it's great that we got to hear her acceptance speech. And then it was so funny when Jon was talking about how Glen wanted their statues to kiss. XD XD XD

Seeing Marion's reaction when she won was lovely! She was so beautiful and she really does deserve it.

Yay! "No Country" all the way!!! And I'm glad that "The Bourne Ultimatum" got a few wins. :w00t: :w00t:

I was cracking up so hard when Josh Brolin said "Mike Nicholson". :lol:

Guest HeffyEnd

unfortunately amy adams' performance was a little lackluster, i wish they would've given it the so close-treatment, having some dancers and the appropriate costume for gisele.

Amy Adams did what she could. She isn't a singer, she's an actress, and she was nervous as hell about singing tonight. If they added the costumes, dancers, and if she had to move around more, I really don't think she could have pulled it off. That's why they got Kristin to sing "That's How You Know", since it's more of a complex song to sing. Amy couldn't have done it live.

I am delighted for Daniel Day-Lewis :wub: He's my favourite actor and I love his stuff. I'm so glad he's won for Best Actor <333

Here's the complete winners' list:

Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role

- Daniel Day-Lewis (There Will Be Blood)

Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role

- Marion Cotillard (La Vie en Rose)

Achievement in Directing

- Joel and Ethan Coen (No Country for Old Men)

Best Motion Picture of the Year

- No Country for Old Men

Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role

- Javier Bardem (No Country for Old Men)

Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role

- Tilda Swinton (Michael Clayton)

Achievement in Visual Effects

- The Golden Compass

Best Animated Feature Film of the Year

- Ratatouille

Best Live Action Short Film

- Le Mozart des Pickpockets (The Mozart of Pickpockets)

Best Animated Short Film

- Peter & the Wolf

Achievement in Costume Design

- Elizabeth: The Golden Age

Achievement in Makeup

- La Vie en Rose

Best Documentary Short Subject

- Freeheld

Best Documentary Feature

- Taxi to the Dark Side

Achievement in Art Direction

- Sweeney Todd The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures (Original Score)

- Atonement

Achievement in Sound Mixing

- The Bourne Ultimatum

Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures (Original Song)

- Once

Achievement in Sound Editing

- The Bourne Ultimatum

Best Foreign Language Film of the Year

- The Counterfeiters

Achievement in Film Editing

- The Bourne Ultimatum

Achievement in Cinematography

- There Will Be Blood

Adapted Screenplay

- No Country for Old Men

Original Screenplay

- Juno

goodness gracious!!! when will they EVER give johnny depp an OSCAR?!?!

God knows he deserves one...

he's ALWAYS nominated, but hes never won an oscar.. makes me sad...

i really thought he was going to win this year...but then again i didnt see the movies the other nominees were in..

it was just a personal wish~ haha

i guess sweeny todd didnt do so great this year...

Guest losborrachos

Amy Adams did what she could. She isn't a singer, she's an actress, and she was nervous as hell about singing tonight. If they added the costumes, dancers, and if she had to move around more, I really don't think she could have pulled it off. That's why they got Kristin to sing "That's How You Know", since it's more of a complex song to sing. Amy couldn't have done it live.

well, her singing was fantastic--the staging, however, was not. i've heard about her being nervous especially when she's followed by, in her words, "the best singer in broadway", but she was in a monochromatic dress in a bare monochromatic stage singing what was supposed to be a song about having fun while you're working. not very inspiring. she doesn't have to dance--she didn't dance much in the film itself and even cheno was noticeably static. i was talking to my friend about the many different ways they could've made it more lively. the dress could've been either white to match her gisele dress or pastel (the dress she wore in the epilogue of enchanted when she was in the boutique would've been perfect). they could also have done a projection of the set in the background or do a little set pieces to suggest the environment--wouldn't have interfered with her performance whatsoever and should've been easy since i'm sure the production team still had their stills of the set. also, they could've had "dancers", essentially people dressed up as mice and roaches or even just little kids on stage for her to sing to--they don't have to dance some crazy choreography, just mill around and be cute. it's usually less nerve-wracking to sing to someone on stage that you can rehearse with rather than to the audience. i'm sure they were accommodating her requests as well, but i don't think she'd want the performance to look as drab as it did.

Guest res0nate

the only thing i found odd was when they did the whole "in memoriam" thing. unlike in the past years, i didn't hear any applause, even when they did antonioni and laszlo kovacs, until ingmar bergman and heath ledger at the very end. i mean, i love bergman as much as the next film student and ledger as much as the next brokeback fan, but it was like everyone waited in suspense for ledger's turn and forgot about the other legends who'd died. on that note, robert boyle is an exceptional designer, but oh how i wish they'd given one to henry bumstead before he died. it's like bummy died and hollywood went, "oh, we forgot about production designers! quick, who's still alive?"

There was sporadic clapping here and there before they showed Antonioni, but I understand that it would've been hard to notice it lol.

Guest HeffyEnd

This was the lowest rated Oscar telecast in history.

Oprah didn't have her annual after-the-oscars show today, either. I guess cause the typical American moviegoer hasn't really heard of the films & actors who won.

I guess this means 10,000 BC is going to sweep next year and they're only going to nominate American A-listers.

America. :rolleyes:

Archived