Can't Connect 2 Computers To The One Modem

snowytearz

The second computer keeps restarting
I want to connect two computers together to the one modem because I hate sharing my computer with my brother.

I've asked someone how to do it at the place where I got my modem.

My computer has the Ethernet connected and we've bought a 5metre USB cord for the second computer.

The sales person said connect the USB to the back of the second computer and the modem together.

So I tried several times this week connecting the computers but on the SECOND COMPUTER, when I reach the desktop stage it will automatically start again T__T It will just keep restarting until I turn it off by the power switch.

Why isn't it working???

Guest nevets1219

So you have :

PC1 <-- cat5 <-- MODEM --> USB --> PC 2

The modem is also connected to the phone jack/cable wire right?

PC2 also doesn't restart repeatedly when not connected right?

Try unplugging PC1 and keep PC2 plugged in via the USB. Alternatively try using the USB cable on PC1 and the cat5 on PC2.

I dunno... never heard of that configuration working...

Your internet service usually provides 1 IP address per modem so most people get a router to connect to the modem each of the connected computers will connect to the router with a ethernet cable and get its own IP address.

But as nevets said, does that computer start normally without the USB plugged in?

^ I've heard of a router before. Does it work the same as a modem?

If it's wireless, why does it need connections?

So you have :

PC1 <-- cat5 <-- MODEM --> USB --> PC 2

The modem is also connected to the phone jack/cable wire right?

PC2 also doesn't restart repeatedly when not connected right?

Try unplugging PC1 and keep PC2 plugged in via the USB. Alternatively try using the USB cable on PC1 and the cat5 on PC2.

I dunno... never heard of that configuration working...

Your internet service usually provides 1 IP address per modem so most people get a router to connect to the modem each of the connected computers will connect to the router with a ethernet cable and get its own IP address.

But as nevets said, does that computer start normally without the USB plugged in?

Yep that's pretty much what it looks like, nevets1219. PC2 works just fine without the usb in.

Guest nevets1219

If you get a wireless router, every computer that you want connected will have to have a wireless NIC (network interface card) or they'll have to plug in physically. In your case plugging in physically is quite possible so what you really need is just a router (wireless or not).

The benefit of wireless is less wires and more freedom of moving about (to a certain extent). Will PC2 work if you have it connected to the modem and if PC1 is disconnected from the modem - it should. I don't even get why doing that would restart your computer though.

Why don't you try powering on both PC disconnected from the modem. Then disable the network connection on both and physically connect them. Then enable the network connection on one and then the other (maybe give it some time to detect the connect, etc).

Though it is probably like what awdark said. I don't think a modem can let you use both the cat5 and USB at the same time - it'll be the first time for me. If you can look at the modem's manual or login to the modem's web interface and see if that feature exists (or you can post the make/model of the modem). Maybe your modem is one of those modem-and-router-in-one types?

I doubt it, I think most of the routers with a built in switch/routers would have multiple ethernet ports.

Yeah so just get a router. Wireless or wired doesn't matter (wireless with more features is more common so they're cheaper)

*internet*------[Modem]------[Router]------[computer 1]

______________________________\

Its like a smart splitter__________[computer 2]

Guest nevets1219

They are anywhere from $30~100. Though you can find cheaper and more expensive. You can probably get one of those 4-Port Routers for a reasonable price. If you can shop online, www.newegg.com is a pretty good place to start.

Archived