Seol Kyung-Gu 설경구

Helena

A multiple answers poll ~

There are 2 sets of list provided, please choose from each list so that the votes will go through

Poll: Which 2012 Korean movies that you are most excited about?

http://www.soompi.com/forums/topic/374847-which-2012-korean-movies-that-you-are-most-excited-about/

• 2 weeks later...

Poll: Which 2012 Korean movies that you are most excited about?

http://www.soompi.com/forums/topic/374847-which-2012-korean-movies-that-you-are-most-excited-about/

As of February 25, 2012, 130 member(s) have cast their votes in the multiple-answers movie fun poll. The tally is not definite as members yet to vote can still pick their favorites. However, this is a one-time poll.. once voted, members will not be able to vote again. Related movie posters and info posted at the poll thread for reference

The current result starting with the highest voted movies rbhcool.gif

1. The Thieves

Lee Jung Jae, Kim Yoon Seok, Kim Hye Soo, Jeon Ji Hyun) (44 votes [25.43%])

2. Miss Conspirator

Go Hyun Jung, Yu Hae Jin. Ko Chang Seok, Sung Dong Il, Lee Mun Shik, Park Shin Yang (42 votes [21.11%])

3. The King of Joseon

Lee Byung Hun, Han Hyo Joo, Ryu Seung Ryong, Shim Eun Kyung (39 votes [22.54%])

4. Coffee

Joo Jin Mo, Kim So Yeon, Park Hee Seon, Yoo Sun (31 votes [15.58%])

5. Introduction to Architecture

Uhm Tae Woong, Han Ga In, Lee Je Hoon, Suzy (31 votes [15.58%])

6. Korea

Ha Ji Won, Bae Doo Na (27 votes [13.07%])

7. Love Fiction

Gong Hyo Jin, Ha Jung Woo (18 votes [9.05%])

8. The Howling

Song Kang Ho, Lee Na Young (16 votes [9.25%])

9. Never Ending Story

Uhm Tae Woong, Jung Ryeo Won (15 votes [7.54%])

10. Soar into the Sky

Jung Ji Hoon, Shin Se Kyung, Kim Sung Soo, Yoo Joon Sang (15 votes [8.67%])

11. Papa

Park Yong Woo, Go Ah Ra, Daniel Henney, Son Byeong Ho (14 votes [8.09%])

12. Dancing Queen

Hwang Jung Min, Uhm Jung Hwa (13 votes [6.53%])

13. Train (aka Helpless)

Lee Seon Kyun, Kim Min Hee, Jo Sung Ha (12 votes [6.94%])

14. The Tower

Sul Kyung Gu, Son Ye Jin, Kim Sang Kyung) (12 votes [6.36%])

15. Berlin

Ha Jung Woo, Han Suk Kyu, Jeon Ji Hyun, Ryu Seung Bum (9 votes [4.52%])

16. Nameless Gangster

Choi Min Sik, Ha Jung Woo (9 votes [4.52%])

17. Unbowed

Ahn Sung Ki, Park Won Sang, Na Young Hee, Kim Ji Ho, Moon Sung Geun, Lee Kyeong Yeong) (9 votes [5.20%])

18. Sansevieria

Dir. Yoo Ji Tae, Bae Soo Bin, So Yoo Jin (7 votes [4.05%])

19. The Taste of Money

Kim Kang Woo, Kim Hyo Jin, Baek Yoon Shik, Yoon Yeo Jung (6 votes [3.47%])

20. Pacemaker

Kim Myung Min, Go Ah Ra, Ahn Sung Ki (5 votes [2.51%])

• 7 months later...

October 22, 2012
Who's Who in Korea's 10 Million Movie Club
Source: Nate
The 10 Million club = actors whose movies have sold 10 million tickets
201210210847381110_1.jpg
1st Row: Sul Kyung Gu (Silmido, 2003 & Haeundae 2009), Ahn Sung Ki (Silmido, 2003), Jang Dong Gun (Taegukgi, 2004)
2nd Row: Lee Byung Hun (Gwanghae, 2012), Ryu Seung Ryong (Gwanghae, 2012), Won Bin (Taegukgi, 2004)
3rd Row: Lee Jun Ki (King & Clown, 2005), Song Kang Ho (The Host, 2006), Park Hae Il (The Host, 2006)
4th Row: Ha Ji Won (Haeundae, 2009), Kim Hye Soo (The Thieves, 2012), Jeon Ji Hyun (The Thieves, 2012)
5th Row: Park Joong Hoon (Haeundae, 2009), Kim Yoon Seok (The Thieves, 2012), Kim In Kwon (Gwanghae, 2012)

• 2 months later...

January 1, 2013

'The Tower' is No. 1 at the box office

By Carla Sunwoo Korea JoongAng Daily

01203115.jpg

“The Tower” is still standing tall on top of the Korean box office charts. 

By taking the top spot, the film directed by homegrown talent Kim Ji-hoon has usurped the place of current Hollywood hit “Les Miserables.” 

“The Hobbit” is also trailing behind the Korean blockbuster, coming in at fourth.

The Korea Film Council said on Monday that “The Tower” was the most-watched film over the weekend with some 873,221 views across 617 cinemas nationwide.

The flick starring Son Ye-jin and Seol Kyung-gu opened on Dec. 24 and chalked up more than 430,000 views on its first day.

After one week, the film had drawn in more than two million cinemagoers, being the preferred pick over Hollywood pieces that were anticipated from months ahead. 

The gripping action-suspense revolves around heart-pounding stories of rescuers and people trapped inside a luxurious building following a fire.

• 4 months later...
Guest kdramafanusa

Source: Cine21

Cine21 No. 885 ( 2012-12-25 ~ 2013-01-01 )
Son Ye-jin & Sol Kyung-gu
2co31cj.jpg

14_15_50__516cde868fbbd%5BW700-%5D.jpg

14_16_01__516cde9151cdf%5BW700-%5D.jpg

14_16_11__516cde9b1e31d%5BW700-%5D.jpg

14_16_19__516cdea3cd222%5BW700-%5D.jpg

14_16_27__516cdeab4f455%5BW700-%5D.jpg

14_16_36__516cdeb4bfb84%5BW700-%5D.jpg

-

Source: KOFIC

THE TOWER's SOL Kyung-gu & SON Ye-jin

by KIM Hyun-min LEE Eun-sun /  Dec 21, 2012

Actors' Experience from the Desperate Survival Drama

liwhcegorbszfcrbvopt.jpg

The Tower, a movie that contains Koreanized story telling combined with a Hollywood-like scale, is coming to theaters on Christmas Day. SOL Kyung-gu and SON Ye-jin who have struggled with fire talk to us about the movie.

mfcbcehdrmkrifijftsj.jpg

- The Tower is being compared with Haeundae. Especially because the main character from Haeundae is there.

I don’t like hearing that. There are a lot of people that think The Tower is directed by JK YOUN. Is it JK YOUN’s film because KIM In-kwon and I are in the movie? (laughs)

- What's your reason for starring in another disaster movie?

I didn’t film this movie because it was a disaster movie. I heard about The Tower from KIM Ji-hoon. He said when he shoots a film, he always thinks about how to make the actors funny. As soon as I heard that I told him to give me the script of The Tower. I do it when I feel both the movie and the people that make the film seem fun. There is no reason not to do a disaster movie either. I didn't think too much about it.

- Your fans have a certain expectation. To be honest, we miss movies like Peppermint Candy.

You want me to go back to the past? No way, I am too old. A second A Peppermint Candy? I hear that a lot these days. Maybe it's about time, if the fans want it.

- For one of your next films, you decided on Surveillance because JUNG Woo-sung was in it.

Yes, I said yes because JUNG Woo-sung was in it. I wanted to do some work with him and what matters is to be in a movie with people that you have fun with. And if the result is good, that's what matters. This kind of movie is also needed. and this kind of movie needs a reliable director. How many directors are there that can do a cinematic film and attract sponsors at the same time?

- Do you have any plans to do a film with LEE Chang-dong?

There has been a film that's been talked about since last year. Anything will be okay if it's with LEE Chang-dong. I decided to go back to the beginning of my career and do it right but the director wrapped up the production because he didn't like it. That's three in a row. and I was in all three. I was disappointed but can't wait forever.

- What's your plan for next year?

I want to film more movies and hope The Tower achieves a good result. I don’t have the urge to do many movies though. But my thought is that if there is a good film, actors should never stop acting. This needs to be done in order fo the industry to survive.

pfszqaamfoftvnonegix.jpg

- You must have had a hard time realizing that you were acting because of all the computer graphics.

I saw how The Tower looked from the trailer. I had a hard time adjusting to the set but got used to it soon. You didn’t have to worry about the weather and it was a special experience. I have acted sick and dying but it was my first time acting with such despair in a life-threatening situation.

- This role is more like a supporting role. Why is this?

Not many different characters are seen in a disaster movie. They are all kind, charismatic, quiet and heartful, that's it, isn't it? (laughs) I didn't want to be in a blockbuster movie, I just wanted to be in a movie with the people I liked. And The Tower was that movie. In the past, I was very sensitive and mean. I was not used to expressing my true self. But now I’ve changed and can express what I really feel and people are surprised by this change. They say it's too dramatic. (laugh)

- At the end of last year, there was Spellbound and this year there is The Tower. You seem very consistent.

I am very greedy when it comes to films. They are all I have and looking back at my 20s, all I remember is working. in the last 12-13 years, I filmed 16 movies. There were times when I thought everything was meaningless, but the movies last forever and that comforts me. I should be doing some films that I can really recommend to others but I think I have not met 'the film' for myself.

- What about The Classic and A Moment to Remember?

Hahaha. It’s no fun if ‘the film’ for me already exists. Scenario, director, actor and the perfect character for me, I haven’t had a film that met all these condition yet. It should show the deep inner self of a person and people should sympathize with the character. I’ve done many good melodrama movies already so it’s kind of uncomfortable, but I do want to do another one these days, maybe I could show a different kind of melodrama.

photography by HAN Young-shin

Guest kdramafanusa

Was browsing KOFIC & came across a movie (2Q, 2013) with Sol Kyung-gu & Moon So-ri. OMG!  It's not from Lee Chang-dong though.

The Spy: Undercover
< Hyeop-sang Jong-gyeol-ja >

Chul-soo is one of Korea’s best intelligence agents: he can accomplish any given mission. One day, a mysterious explosion takes place in Seoul. Chul-soo flies to Thailand on a mission to rescue a person who holds clues to the incident. Meanwhile, Young-hee goes on a business trip to Thailand and gets entangled with Chul-soo’s mission. Will he accomplish his mission and save his wife at the same time?

Genres : Action
Production Status : Post-production
Director: LEE Seung-jun
Producer: LEE Sang-jik
Production: JK Film + CJ E&M
International Sales: CJ E&M

Cast
SOL Kyung-gu - Chul-soo
MOON So-ri - Young-hee
Daniel Henney
GO Chang-seok

kdramafanusa said: - For one of your next films, you decided on Surveillance because JUNG Woo-sung was in it.

Yes, I said yes because JUNG Woo-sung was in it. I wanted to do some work with him and what matters is to be in a movie with people that you have fun with....

Guest urie

Seol Kyeong-gu, Jeong Woo-seong and Han Hyo-joo in "Cold Eyes"

Seol Kyeong-gu, Jeong Woo-seong and Han Hyo-joo have been cast in the movie "Cold Eyes", directed by Jo Eui-seok and Kim Byeong-seo.

"Cold Eyes" is a criminal action drama about experts who track down criminal organizations with no signs of existing.

They remember everything they see and track down crime with their memories.

Seol Kyeong-gu takes on the role of chief Hwang. His age and animal instincts lets him chase after his targets and he's a rough and daredevil-ish man but deep inside, he's actually friendly and humane.

Jeong Woo-seong takes on the role of a criminal organization leader names James. This is his first bad guy role since his debut. He has cold judgment and acting power along with intelligent schemes that allow him to escape the circle closing in on him all the time.

Han Hyo-joo is a rookie named Ha Yoon-joo on Seol Kyeong-gu's team. She's out on the fields for the first time but her observation and memory doesn't let her forget what she's seen or heard.

2PM's Junho who is debuting as an actor through "Cold Eyes", takes on the role of the ace, Squirrel. He is the lively one out of the team but on site he's a talented and skilled expert.

Source : www.tvreport.co.kr/?c... ( English )

cr: hancinema

official confirmation Cold Eyes will be released at 4th July

cr: nate

Guest urie

Seol Kyung-Gu, Jung Woo-Sung and Han Hyo-Joo′s ″Cold Eyes″ reveals new poster

Actors Seol Kyung-Gu, Jung Woo-Sung and Han Hyo-Joo's upcoming movie "Cold Eyes" revealed its launching poster and a still.

"Cold Eyes" is a crime action movie about a secret agent organization chasing hidden criminal organizations.

Seol Kyung-Gu takes on the role of chief Hwang, while Jung Woo-Sung will be taking his first bad guy role since his debut, as a cold blooded, intelligent criminal designer James. Han Hyo-Joo is a rookie expert Ha Yoon-Joo on Seol Kyung-Gu's team. 2PM's Junho takes on the role of the ace, Squirrel.

The launching poster of 'Cold Eyes' shows the four actors sharply staring at each other, creating a tense and dramatic atmosphere along with the phrase written, "Remember everything with your eyes."

The first still of the movie revealed along with the poster shows the four actors' unique personalities and characters in the movie, raising people's anticipation.

Meanwhile, "Cold Eyes" will hit theaters on July 4.

<이슈팀 issue@asiatoday.co.kr>cr:asiatoday

Guest urie

Two Agents Are On The Hunt In The New Trailer For COLD EYES

by Lee

Jo Eui-seok and Kim Byeong-seo are the helmers of the upcoming release of the South Korean action crime drama, Cold Eyes. The film stars Seol Kyeong-gu, Jeong Woo-seong, Han Hyo-joo and Junho and is set to premiere on July 4, 2013 from Next Entertainment World.

SYNOPSIS:
Ha Yoon-Ju (Han Hyo-Joo) who possesses crystal-clear memory, keen observation, and utmost concentration skills, becomes the newest member to a unit within the Korean Police Forces Special Crime Department that specializes in surveillance activities on high profile criminals. She is assigned under Hwang Sang-Jun (Seol Kyung-Gu), the veteran leader of the unit who is rough, reckless, but wearmhearted and known for his animal-like senses and intuition. The two gradually develop a close partnership when they attempt to track down James (Jung Woo-Sung) who is the cold-hearted leader of an armed criminal organization. Using his unmatched intelligence and strategy, James manages to escape their radar every time. Now, Hwang Sang-Jun and Ha Yoon-Ju must do everything they can in order to find him and bring him down...

cr: filmcombatsyndicate

• 1 month later...
Guest kdramafanusa

[KOFIC]

SEOL Kyung-gu

Actor

9b9lsl.jpg

Biography
SUL Kyoung-gu has pursued a different acting career from the rest. His projects range from art-house to big budget commercial films. He appeared in the films looked at as a commentary on social issues such as <A Peppermint Candy> and <Oasis> but at the same time he has not shun the blockbusters such as <The Legend of Ginko>, <Jail Breakers>, <Silmido> and <Haeundae>. He was so strong, powerful, and intimidating when he was in the <Public Enemy> series and <Silmido>. But he is very delicate and skillfully depicts details when he recreated the ordinary everyday life in sober on-screen melodramas such as <I Wish I Had a Wife> and <Lost in Love>. He proved his acting caliber and commercial viability playing a ruthless cop in the thriller film, the <Public Enemy> series. He is a dedicated actor who extremely gains and losses weight for roles – he is even nicknamed “Mr. Fluctuating weight.” SUL Kyoung-gu is often listed as Korea’s top character actors alongside [sONG Kang-ho]. His acting goes way over the top when he takes on a role of a sluggard or an outlaw, but contrary to his charismatic look, he is very good at portraying delicate feelings. SUL Kyoung-gu showed off impeccable acting talent appearing in two recent crime thrillers, <No Mercy> and <Troubleshooter>.

Outside Story
    Date of Birth: May 1st, 1968
    Height, Weight: 178cm, 64kg
    Educational Background: Graduated from Department of Theatre and Film, Hanyang University
    Family Relationship: Spouse SONG Yoon-Ah

Awards
    ’10 18th Icheon Chunsa Film Festival - Male Lead Role Award
    ’09 17th Korea Culture Arts Awards - Grand Award, Movie Category
    ’08 29th Blue Dragon Awards - Popularity Award
    ’03 26th Golden Shooting Awards - Most Popular Male Actor Award
    ’03 29th Seattle International Film Festival - Role of Male Lead Role Award
    ’02 Director’s Cut Awards - Male Lead Role Award
    ’02 22nd Film Critics Association Awards - Male Lead Role Award
    ’02 28th Baesang Arts Awards - Grand Award, Movie Category
    ’02 3rd Busan Movie Critics Association Award - Male Lead Role Award
    ’02 39th Daejong Awards - Male Lead Role Award
    ’02 10th Chunsa Film Festival - Lead Role Popularity of the Year Award
    ’02 1st Korea Film Festival - Male Lead Role Award
    ’02 23rd Blue Dragon Awards - Male Lead Role Award
    ’00 23rd Golden Shotting Awards - Male New Star Award
    ’00 21st Blue Dragon Awards - Male Lead Role Award
    ’00 36th Baeksang Arts Awards - Male New Star Award
    ’00 20th Film Critics Association Awards - Male Lead Role Award
    ’00 8th Chunsa Film Festival - Male Lead Role Award

Debut
    ’96 Movie <A Petal>

Movie
    ’13 <Mr. K>
    ’12 <Tower>
    ’10 <Camellia> - Yong-Soo
    ’10 <Troubleshooter> - Gang Tae-Shik
    ’09 <No Mercy> - Gang Min-Ho
    ’09 <Closer to Heaven> - Kim Jong-Do (cameo)
    ’09 <A Brand New Life> - Jin-Hee’s father (cameo)
    ’09 <Haeundae> - Choi Man-Shik
    ’08 <Public Enemy Returns> - Gang Cheol-Jung
    ’07 <Fight> - Kim Sang-Min
    ’07 <Voice of a Murderer> - Han Gyung-Bae
    ’06 <Cruel Winter Blues> - Shim Jae-Moon
    ’06 <Lost in Love> - Woo-Jae
    ’05 <Another Public Enemy> - Gang Cheol-Jung
    ’04 <Rikidozan> - Rikidozan
    ’03 <Silmido> - Team 3 Leader of 684 Unit
    ’02 <Jail Breakers> - Yoo Jae-Pil
    ’02 <Oasis> - Hong Jong-Doo
    ’02 <Public Enemy> - Gang Cheol-Jung
    ’02 <The Bird Who Stops in the Air>
    ’01 <I Wish I Had a Wife> - Kim Bong-Soo
    ’00 <The Legend of Gingko> - Jeok
    ’99 <Peppermint Candy> - Kim Young-Ho
    ’99 <Rainbow Trout> - Min-Soo
    ’98 <Girls’ Night Out> - Gyu-Sik
    ’96 <A Petal>- Woorideul

Guest kdramafanusa

kdramafanusa said:
- Your fans have a certain expectation. To be honest, we miss movies like Peppermint Candy.

You want me to go back to the past? No way, I am too old. A second A Peppermint Candy? I hear that a lot these days. Maybe it's about time, if the fans want it.

- Do you have any plans to do a film with LEE Chang-dong?

There has been a film that's been talked about since last year. Anything will be okay if it's with LEE Chang-dong. I decided to go back to the beginning of my career and do it right but the director wrapped up the production because he didn't like it. That's three in a row. and I was in all three. I was disappointed but can't wait forever.

Guest kdramafanusa

Source: http://magazine.movie.daum.net/w/magazine/read/detail.daum?thecutId=5103

Cold Eyes, and the art of casting

746.gif

Quite often our first impression of a film, before we watch it or know anything about the story, is of the cast. We see 2-4 names on a film poster, or in the title of a news article, and we form an initial impression. Some names, or combinations of names, fill us with anticipation, while others do not.

At its most basic level, casting is the process of choosing which names will go on the poster. But good casting is a more complex art than it first appears to be. Both from an artistic point of view, and from a commercial point of view, effective casting is not just about convincing popular actors to appear in your film. It requires creativity, and a willingness to go against commonly accepted opinion.

The new crime procedural Cold Eyes 감시자들 is a good example of effective casting. By this I don’t mean that the names on the poster are the only reason behind the film’s commercial success. I mean that the images that these actors project in the film make for an interesting contrast with their previously established star images. In other words, Cold Eyes brings out something new in the stars.

h5fp.jpg

Up until now, Seol Gyeong-gu has been a leading actor in 24 films, Jung Woo-sung has been the lead in 19, and Han Hyo-joo has been the lead in 7 films. Moviegoers have become quite familiar with seeing them up on the big screen, not to mention in television and advertisements. Then why is it that their appearance in this film feels so fresh?

Seol Gyung-gu is an actor who is known for his intensity. There is a fierce quality to his expression that has helped bring life to characters like the psychologically disturbed Yong-ho in Peppermint Candy, and the likable but flawed everyman Man-shik in Haeundae. But one also senses an emotional coldness in his acting, even in romantic roles like I Wish I Had a Wife and Lost in Love. This brings an interesting complexity to his characters. The role of Chief Hwang in Cold Eyes has a different quality. On the outside, he is highly professional and calculating, but in his interactions with Han Hyo-joo’s character an inner warmth and sympathy is revealed. Ultimately, this warmth is the heart of his character, which is why it’s so much more interesting to have a ‘cold’ actor like Seol Gyeong-gu play this role.

dw9c.jpg

As for Jung Woo-sung, this is an actor who throughout his career has been cast in ‘good’ roles. This is not simply because he is good looking, but because he exudes warmth in his performances. It was no surprise to see him cast as ‘The Good’ in Kim Jee-woon’s The Good, the Bad, the Weird, and he was also well suited to play the caring and supportive partner in A Moment to Remember. But the character of James in Cold Eyes has ice in his heart. There is not a hint of warmth about him, and never once does Jung Woo-sung flash the smile which made him into a star. In the end, his acting skills proved to be up to the challenge of playing a very different sort of character, and the role has given new depth to his star image.

Good casting, of course, is also about the combination of different actors in a film. In this case, it makes for a nice symmetry to have a ‘cold’ actor playing a warm character, and a ‘warm’ actor playing a cold character. And then there is Han Hyo-joo, who in some ways is the most interesting casting choice of all.

in3v.jpg

It’s not that it was a big surprise to see her take on the role of a police detective. Less than a year ago, she played another highly trained professional (a paramedic) in Love 911. Nonetheless, there is a world of difference between the characters she played in those two films. Han Hyo-joo has almost always been cast in romantic roles, and the primary focus of those roles has been her charm and engaging personality. In Always, and also in Love 911, her characters ultimately pursue happiness and fulfillment through romantic relationships.

But in Cold Eyes there is never even a hint of romance, even with 2PM’s Junho. Her character’s strengths are her abilities: her concentration, her phenomenal memory, her ability to remain calm under pressure, and also her fighting skills. Furthermore, her character’s personality is not projected outward, as in her previous films. Instead, she is slightly reserved and self-contained. The ironic thing is that she ends up being much more charming playing this kind of reserved personality, than she does in films where the screenplay is designed to make her as charming as possible. (This is one of the timeless truths about star power: stars are much more attractive when they are not trying to be attractive)

At 119 minutes Cold Eyes is not short, but it kept me fascinated all the way to the end credits. This was partly because of the well structured plot (based on the Hong Kong film Eye In the Sky) and the overall quality of the direction, but it was mostly because the characters were so engaging. After watching the film, it may seem like the casting choices would be obvious. But when it was at the screenplay stage, the choices wouldn’t have been so clear. Fortunately, the filmmakers exhibited some creativity in casting, and the result is a very entertaining film.

Darcy Paquet

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

March 11, 2014
Sol Kyung-gu to Teach Acting at Hanyang University
Source: The ChosunIlbo
2014031101141_0.jpg

Actor Sol Kyung-gu will teach acting at Hanyang University, his alma mater, for a year.
Sol, who studied acting there in the mid-1980s, made his stage debut in 1993 by appearing in small theaters and playing minor roles.
He rose to prominence and gained recognition for his acting prowess after starring in the hugely successful movie "Peppermint Candy" in 1999.
Throughout his career he has appeared in about 30 films including hits like "Oasis," "Public Enemy" and "Silmido."
"A veteran actor like Sol will surely contribute to promoting the school and offering high-quality lectures based on his practical experience in acting," a university spokesman said.

March 13, 2014
Seol Kyung-gu Becomes ProfessorWill Lecture at Hanyang University for 1 Year by Pierce Conran KOFIC
ijpJbYTrGEXavVGGQrXa.jpg
Actor SEOL Kyung-gu is preparing for a special new role as it has been announced that he will teach for one year at Hanyang University, his alma mater. SEOL was an acting student at Hanyang University in the mid-1980s, before debuting in the theater scene in 1993, at first in minor roles in small theaters. The young actor soon landed small parts in major Korean films such as JANG Sun-woo’s A Petal (1996) and IM Sang-soo’s Girls' Night Out (1998). It was in 1999 that SEOL broke into the bigtime, with his leading roles in JEON Soo-il’s The Bird Who Stops in the Air and, most notably, LEE Chang-dong’s Peppermint Candy. Soon after, SEOL became one of the most in demand leading men in Korean cinema, both for his work in independent films, such as LEE Chang-dong’s Oasis (2002), and commercial fare like KANG Woo-suk’s Public Enemy trilogy (2002-08). In 2013, Seol was still one of the most prominent stars in Korea, with leading roles in Cold Eyes, The Spy: Undercover Operation and Hope. A university representative mentioned that having SEOL on staff will help to promote Hanyang and that his acting experience will be an invaluable asset to students.

• 2 weeks later...

March 24, 2014
Song files suit against netizens
By Kim Hee-eun, contributing writer INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

24200054.jpg
Seol Gyeong-gu and Song Yun-ah
After suffering countless insults from people online over the past five years, actress Song Yun-ah took legal action against several of those defamers yesterday.
“Since Song married actor Seol Gyeong-gu in 2009, she faced some brutal remarks from Internet users, which often involved comments based on false information,” said Im Sang-hyeok, a lawyer at Shin & Kim, who is representing Song.
The online ire dates back to when Song and Seol revealed that they were planning on getting married in 2009. 
Seol divorced his first wife in 2006 and started dating Song in late 2007, but some people theorized online that the two must have actually hooked up when Seol was still married and that she was the reason for the divorce.
On Friday, Song and her lawyer filed a defamation lawsuit against a wide range of netizens at Gangnam Police Precinct in southern Seoul. The suit reportedly focused on the individuals most active at insulting Song and her family, and additional defendants will be added as more evidence is gathered. 
“As celebrities are exposed to the public attention, their behavior can sometimes be judged by the people. Nevertheless, accusing someone falsely and spreading such false rumor is illegal,” noted her lawyer.
“We hope people can understand how serious the situation is.”

March 25, 2014
Celebrity Couple Take Legal Action to Stop Internet Rumor Mill
Source: The ChosunIlbo
2014032500730_0.jpg
Song Yun-ah (left) and Sol Kyung-gu Song Yun-ah (left) and Sol Kyung-gu
Police in Gangnam are investigating malicious comments on the Internet targeting actors Sol Kyung-gu and his wife Song Yun-ah.
According to police, lawyers for Sol and Song filed a complaint last week saying the two celebrities are suffering from "intense psychological pain" due to rumors that the actress was responsible for the actor divorcing his wife. They accused 57 individuals of posting defamatory comments online. 
Their lawyers said Sol divorced his wife in 2006 and married Song in 2009 but people were claiming the actress was a home wrecker. Sol even appeared on a TV talk show in April of last year saying Song had no part in his divorce. But the malicious comments on the Internet showed no signs of abating.
A spokesman for law firm Sejong said, "In 2009 the couple felt they had to accept the abuse since they were celebrities, but the comments turned increasingly malicious. Verbal abuse targeted other family members until they became unbearable." 
Police said they will take "punitive steps" after investigating the accused. 

• 1 month later...

April 25, 2014
Sul Kyung Gu-Song Yoon Ah Couple Donates 100 Million Won to Victims of Sewol Ferry
Newsen Lee Min Ji  Translation Credit : Yeawon Jung

Sul Kyung Gu and Song Yoon Ah have donated 100 million won. 
According to Korean committee for UNICEF on April 25, Sul Kyung Gu and Song Yoon Ah couple donated 100 million won on April 24 to be used to help out the students and families who are suffering from the tragedy of Sewol ferry.
Along with the fund, the couple sent a message that read, “We felt pain that cannot be expressed in words as we watched the tragedy of Sewol ferry. We sincerely hope that those who have been physically and mentally hurt can be safely recovered.” 
Korean committee of UNICEF will be using the couple’s entire donation for activities related to recovering damage from sinking of Sewol ferry, including the programs to help the students resume their studies and provide psychological consultation.