[Movie 2008] Antique Bakery 앤티크-서양골동 양과자점

Rebby

• Replies 794
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Though I am a little dissapointed that they didn't furthur develop on the relationship of all the four men. I guess it's hard to squeeze the whole manga story into a 2hrs film. A number of people of guys feel that it's a gay film but personally I don't think it's a story about gays (unlike No Regret which is another superb film). To me it's about the stuggles of the JJH as he comes to terms with his inner demons. The gay element just adds to the flavour of the show without it being the central theme (am I making any sense here? :D )

Yeah, I agree. I think this movie can be stretched into perhaps a 10 episode drama, free from all non value adding fluff. I thought Yoo Ah In's character could've been developed more. The bodyguard was also interesting, I wish they had explored his relationship with Joo Jihun's character.

I don't mind at all about the gay theme in the movie. It was refreshing to see an asian movie being pretty upfront about the issue, complete with all the gay skinship! Hahaha.. I'm a fan of Kim Jaewook now, he's such an awesome guy.

I can't wait to see JJH's Naked Kitchen.

I've watched this movie twice so far. Once yesterday, and another time last week. :D

Awesome movie I must say. I love the relationship between the 4 guys.. Also it didn't really feel like a gay-ish movie for me. When my friend told me it was a gay movie, I was sort of disgusted, but after watching the movie, my views totally changed.

Joo Ji Hoon acted well in this movie. He should act such lively roles more in the future. I'm so sick of watching him act those 'serious' and 'quiet-ish' kinda roles.

Also.... Kim Jae Wook is so hot as a baker. XD

Ah, and the kitchen is soooo pweeeeeeeety! I want such a kitchen too T.T

I will definitely recommend this to everyone!!

Guest shizumaru

Yeah, I agree. I think this movie can be stretched into perhaps a 10 episode drama, free from all non value adding fluff.

Maybe we can all pray that they will come come with a drama series for this show like what they did to painter of the wind and sigaek B)

So pleasantly surprised by this movie. I think the promo's misdirected everyone and this was actually a really nice movie to watch. I liked the musical montages but will have to watch it again more slowly, as the delicious food went by too quickly.

JJH also showed great comedic talent. The mischievious glimmer in his eyes totally showed a new facet to him and needs to be used more.

It was a great ensemble piece.

Guest ripgal

I was really entertained by the movie. Casting was perfect, direction was spot on, chemistry between the 4 guys were great, and most of all, the mixing of comedy and suspense was brilliant. A very delicate and beautifully explored script.. loved it. ^^

I don't think homosexuality played a bit part in the movie. Thought the essence was more about the friendship/relationship between the 4 guys, and more so on the process of Jin Hyuk moving on from his past, leaving the dreadful nightmare of him being kidnapped behind. Joo Ji Hoon was quite a surprise for me here... his comedic timing was good, and he tapped the right emotions at the right time. Definitely a vast improvement from his Goong days... (he was kinda cold in Mawang, didn't really like him there...); but here he's funny! :lol:

Kim Jae Wook had me in giggles and squeals. Altho Sun Woo's gay, I love him!!!! I love how he seems so random and zoned out at times. He's open about sex and yet he has this naivety when it comes to dealing with Jin Hyuk... really makes me wana pinch him!! And hug him!! :P:wub:

The other 2 guys were equally amusing... the boxer and his fickle temperament. The bodyguard, he's soooo cute, just like a kid behind the glasses. Wish he didn't have to leave Jin Hyuk at the end tho...

Lastly, the direction coupled with the musical touch - all I can say about it, it's SO FREAKING GOOD! I loved how they added music and visuals to emphasize the unique flavors of the cakes, Jin Hyuk's inner feelings, the daily lives of the 4 guys... it was so unique. Loved it!

Guest lualm

Also there was a question made by a poster (forgot who :P ) asking //spoilers// on the end when su won asked JJH to go to a gay club and JJH is totally cool with it - does it mean that he's becoming gay? My take is that JJH just came to terms with his inner demons and accepted su won as he is and is more comfortable among gays...

we share the same views. kim jin hyuk has finally seen sun woo as a person and not just as a gay person. it is in a way, symbolical of him letting go of his past and not just conforming to anyone's preference. the scene where he coaxed sun woo to stay and the latter tried to kiss him was a clear indication that kim jin hyuk has never been and will never be gay. :)

Guest FLYt0Y0u

i just watched the movie last night

i was actually pretty hesitant to watch it for awhile

because i straight out thought it was going to be a gay men story

but i was really surprised

it was overall a really good movie

jjh was a great actor

and for once the movie didnt seem like it was dragging

everything just kept going and going

its actually a movie i wouldnt mind watching again. (:

Guest Courtknee

I can't stop watching this movie .__.

I saw it 2 days ago and I watch it at least one every day.

I loved Kim Jae Wook and his character. :3

So cuuute.

The movie... never gets boring for me. I love everything about it.

Guest cutegit

i finalyl had the chance to watch the movie yesterday and i have to say that i was surprised... in a good way!

i loved how the actors acted... never knew kim jae wook had that kind of potential in him (i just thought he was hot in CP)... and ju ji hoon too! he kinda reminded me of lee min ho (sorry, post BOF syndrome) during comedy scenes hahaha.

i dont even know how to describe the film... it's a mixture of comedy and seriousness... deep but light... plus the cakes! oh how i love the scenes in the bakery (i love baking myself).

i wasnt very comfortable with some of the gay parts but i always think that jae wook is such a brave soul for doing those scenes haha

overall i like the movie. something different.

oh and i like kibum too HAHAHA. such a funny kid XD

Guest lualm

Pretty Boys Serve Up a Musical Dramedy

The manga of Fumi Yoshinaga has been a guilty pleasure of mine since I worked for the company that publishes her work in the United States a few years ago. Like many female Japanese comic artists she is obsessed with pretty boys, which doesn’t do much for me but her characters are complex and inhabit gentle slice-of-life stories, crafted with the humor of a skilled and sympathetic observer of human drama.

Yoshinaga’s only real mainstream hit is “Antique Bakery,” about the son of a rich family who decides to open a Western-style cake shop, which is odd because he hates cake. A series of subplots introduces an ensemble of other characters most of them also beautiful men. (The original manga, along with my favorite Yoshinaga title, “Flower of Life,” is available from Seoul import stores such as whatthebook.com.)

The Korean film version is simply called “Antique,” and though it’s moved the story to Seoul and given all the characters Korean names, it’s mostly faithful to the original.

Many of Yoshinaga’s manga fall under the genre of yaoi male homosexual romance comics for straight women and though Antique is not one of them, the influence shows in the character of Sun-woo (Kim Jae-wook), a genius patissier who has been fired from every hotel and department store in town because men, gay or straight, can’t help falling for his “demonic charm.”

Antique’s owner Jin-hyuk (Joo Ji-hoon), it so happens, rejected Sun-woo when the two were high school classmates, proving that he may be the only man immune to Sun-woo’s charms.

Sun-woo is terrified of women, so Jin-hyuk is forced to hire exclusively male staff, eventually ending up with a frustrated ex-boxer with a sweet tooth (played by Yoo Ah-in) and Soo-yung (Choi Ji-ho), Jin-hyuk’s clumsy but devoted childhood friend.

I have to admit I never pictured Antique Bakery as a musical, but the first half is just that as Jin-hyuk assembles his menagerie he’s interrupted by a line of chorus girls dressed as maids or bakers, dancing up a storm as Antique’s confections send its customers into fits of CG-animated ecstasy. It’s completely unexpected and uproariously funny. One sequence of Christmas deliveries sees Joo stumbling across town in a Santa suit, his car brimming with cake boxes.

Unfortunately, Antique takes a serious turn about halfway through, and it’s almost as though we’re watching a completely different film. Taking the place of the singing cake fairies is Sun-woo’s French mentor Jean-Baptiste (Andy Gillet), who tries to entice him back to Paris. Meanwhile, Jin-hyuk faces the secret from his past that led him to open the bakery.

The drama is not poorly executed. In fact it’s striking at times director Min Gyu-dong uses special effects to illustrate Jin-hyuk’s pain in a more frightening way than most Korean horror films. Yet it’s hard to shake the feeling that without its humor the movie has run out of steam.

Still, fans of pretty boys and cute dramedy should seek out Antique. And to their significant others: You just might enjoy yourselves too. I certainly did.

By Ben Applegate [bapplegate@gmail.com]

http://joongangdaily.joins.com/article/view.asp?aid=2903052

Guest kodoque

I just watched this like 5 minutes ago.

I have to say I really enjoyed the moviee!!

I havent seen any of the work that JJH did after Goong and he's improved sooo muchh..

I love all the characters! Even when the story took a turn to the serious side after the first half..i still thoroughly enjoyed it !!!

I just finished this 5 minutes ago. It's not really my type of movie since I'm more into romance, but I have to say that this is one of the best and well-made kmovies I've seen.

Like everyone said, Joo JiHoo's acting turned a compete 360, I really enjoyed his acting and it even reminded me of HyunBin in Sam Soon, but only better.

I've only seen him in Goong so I didn't really have the chance to see his transition from his other dramas like The Devil.

Anyway, I really though the point of the whole film was the kidnapping and I was waiting for the old man to be caught by the police, so the ending scene kinda confused me. But after going through the replies I finally understood.

I seriously thought the old man who kidnapped him did unimaginable gay things to him because his mother kept saying that the old man must've done something to his son. That was kind of misleading.

But now I understand. So the old man was just trying to feed him a cake because he was reminded of his son? That's it? And the trauma was because he stabbed the guy on the leg and not because he was forced to do "things"?

Great film, cast and most especially the acting.

Guest NabbunKate

Wow. This is totally LEGIT! (Sorry, talking about the FAN ART POSTER that I found through google! The only reason I knew it wasn't the real one was because last minute I realized jang dong gun was in it. hahahaha!)

By the way, LOVEDDD the movie! I did not know it was a recreation of a Japanese manga, BUT WOW it was great! Character pick was perfect and I loved the quirkiness of the movie! I really laughed out loud on some parts and almost throughout the film I couldn't help smiling! It was cute and the gay action was so real, I have to admit, I looked away on some parts because I got a little embarrassed. :blush: HAHA! I really recommend this movie! I can't say it was as great as the Japanese recreations or the original manga since I didn't read or watch them, but it sure as hell was good enough for me!

;D

I just finished the movie today, and it was really good!

CAKES/DESSERTS = PURE LOVEEEEEE<3

The kidnapping part did confuse me before, but after reading everyone's comments, I completely understand now. Thanks! But, the thing that still confuses me is how he swallowed the 'key' from his 'secret box' when he was younger? I don't get it.. so can someone please explain that to me. Thanks in advance!

But, anyways, this movie is five out of five stars (:

Guest susamirain

I really enjoyed this film. It was quite interesting watching the relationship between all of these guys. I was a bit disappointed it wasn't a gay love story cause I really love boy on boy love. But it was still a really good film. I wish I could've sampled the sweets.

I wouldn't mind seeing this be turned into a drama with these same guys as cast members. They really meshed well.

Archived