Underrated/Overrated Dramas

Guest trulime

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest material_girl

i didnt mind Full House and MNIKSS, or my girl, they were good at least. but Goong i found to be quite average. the writers could've done so much more with the plot other than the typical love triangle/square.

Underrated:

MISA - such a classic, i cant believe it didnt do as well as some of the other tear jerkers, namely the 4 seasons dramas, and stairway (they were typical, overrated but still quite good)

Love Story in Harvard - it's very popular in Soompi, but not that popular in the mainstream culture.

Seo Dong Yo - but better than Dae Jang Geum (which is already quite good). everyone should watch this.

Hwang Jini - it did quite well in the ratings, but shud've had a bigger impact. fab acting!

What Happened in Bali - luv and hate the ending. hahahaha. and again great acting, with Ha Ji Won and So Ji Sub, you just cant go wrong

Save the Last Dance - great drama, typical plot, but very very good nevertheless

Fashion 70s - one of the best dramas i've ever watched

Guest FTIsland&Primadonna

all the overrated one are the popular well known show. haha

i didnt know A love to kill was overrated. I barely knew about that drama , but then when i watch it, it was boring. haha

Guest kayem7289

all the overrated one are the popular well known show. haha

i didnt know A love to kill was overrated. I barely knew about that drama , but then when i watch it, it was boring. haha

A Love to Kill is basically a poor copy of MISA.

It's overrated in a sense that people actually know more (and dicuss it more) about that show than MISA when MISA was a heck of a lot better and more original.

Guest surlespointes

I thought Bad Family, Hwang Jini, and Resurrection were really underrated.

ESPECIALLY Resurrection!

Guest shg13

Underrated: (LOVE all these dramas and don't understand why more people haven't watched them.)

* Flowers For My Life

* Soulmate

* Ruler Of Your Own World

(I really liked 'Thank You' and 'MISA' too, but I don't consider them underrated because I think they both had decent ratings, unlike the dramas above.)

Overrated: (Popular dramas, but for some reason, I just couldn't get into these...)

* Witch Amusement

* Hello Miss

* Delightful Girl Choon Hyang (many of you seem to love this drama... maybe I'll give it another try.)

Guest infinityyy

Overrated: (Popular dramas, but for some reason, I just couldn't get into these...)

* Witch Amusement

* Hello Miss

* Delightful Girl Choon Hyang (many of you seem to love this drama... maybe I'll give it another try.)

Just get past the first meeting of the two main characters, past the contract being introduced--and we're all good! :D

Guest chockolate

SEVERLY UNDERATTED is The Snow Queen!

Why were the ratings sooo sooo low in korea? :mellow:

it's my favourite kdrama of all time, cause it was just sooo touching. took me on one hella emotional rollercoaster though!

Guest idamaira

Underrated:

1) Let's go to school, Sangdoo (Bi's acting was better here than in Full House)

Overrated:

1) MNIKSS

2) GOONG (i found myself fastforwarding most of the time when watching this show)

Guest fifiz

I'm Sorry I Love You is underrated on soompi?? that is a CRIME

but yes, I agree Goong is pretty overrated too. It seems the more people talk about how good it is, the less good I think of it. Although overall, it was enjoyable. I bet if they hadn't increased the drama length to 24 episodes because of the high ratings of the first few episodes, it would have been very good. Well, maybe not...but I do know that it was wayyy too long.

Guest shorty_babygurl03

hi. i just wanna ask if 90 days of falling in love is underrated? is it a good drama?

Guest atreyu112

hi. i just wanna ask if 90 days of falling in love is underrated? is it a good drama?

for me, its underrated.. it's a good drama who looks for meaningful storyline and scripts..

Guest dada_princess

Overated or underated..i don't think that's important. Fans like/dislike such dramas which accordingly gain porpularity/ big failure domestically or/and abroad. It makes no sense to call them out. Fans' oppinions should be respected though sometimes they don't match professional critism.

Guest kiwistar

Witch Amusement and Hello! Miss are definitely overated. Great actors/actresses don't make up for a bland, predictable storyline. I had high hopes for both of these dramas, but I ended up not watching after the first handful of episodes.

HwangJini is definitely underrated. It is my #1 favorite kdrama so far. I think ppl are afraid to watch it because it's a historical drama. HJW's acting was amazing.

I think Spring Waltz is underrated as well. I personally enjoyed it a lot. The actors were great, i loved the OST, and the scenery was beautiful. The episode long flashback was kind of dull, though.

Guest banchung

UNDERRATED

1. Dalja's Spring: I don't believe ratings went over 20%. ;( The drama and plotline were excellent, and Lee Min Ki and Chae Rim had *great* chemistry. I hadn't laughed so much since... My Girl? Choon Hyang? It is, without a doubt, one of my most favorite romantic comedy dramas ever. It seems the "ahjumma-like" dramas are becoming a trend in dramas, but this one was really great. Besides, are you sick of helpless women protagonists? Dalja isn't one of them.

2. Mawang: Well, I'm not done with it, but I can tell by production values and unique storyline that this drama is underrated. I don't even watch thrillers, and I'm hooked. I didn't even think Joo Ji Hoon would do a great job, but he amazed me anyway. He definately has an icy cold appearance on the outside! I couldn't even stand Uhm Tae Woong before (he acted so great in Choon Hyang I really started disliking him as annoying lol). And yet, why isn't it doing well? Hmm.

3. Bad Family: This drama was cool because there wasn't that much of a focus on love. Sure, it was there at times, but the majority of episodes dealt with different lives and problems. If you were young, you might empathize with Hee Chul's situation, or if you were old you might understand the grandfather's situation better. Each problem was distinct, and it kept you laughing throughout. It fared fairly well in the ratings, but I feel it could have done much better. Oh, and Nam Sang Mi? Love her as an actress. I had watched this right after watching Sweet Spy, and her personality turned a complete 360. I don't know which one's more fitting for her!

4. Alone In Love: Why did this drama's ratings hover consistently over 15-16%? I must admit--I watched this drama, and at times, I could not find out what was compelling me to do so. Some moments of the drama are just quiet, but in the end I reflected on the sheer brilliance of it all. With this, I recognized Son Yeh Jin as the great actress I always only HEARD she was. In a word, touching. Plus, it is probably the most proficient drama in looking at love at almost every angle.

5. Hwang Jin Yi: So, Ha Ji Won's acting reached over 20-something percent, but I thought she was not only GORGEOUS but GRACEFUL in this drama. This was my first historical drama, and I'm glad because I was positively hooked. I liked it just as much as Bali, but this drama only recorded almost half of the ratings. (perhaps it's because of the historical setting turning people off--true, I was turned off at first as well) She's captivating, and I don't think any other actress could have pulled off all those stunts (and headgear haha) like Ha Ji Won.

6. Bad Couple: I'm on the 10th episode--the ratings aren't that great, but I'm absolutely obsessed with this drama. WATCH IT. I've been recommending it like crazy. This is a *very* refreshing storyline, and it's definately one of my tops even now.

7. Thank You: TOUCHING. Watch, if only for Jang Hyuk ;D By the way, one thing that amazed me was this drama's ability to make EVERY character likeable even if you hated them at some point in the drama!

OVERRATED:

1. Full House: I tried to tell myself this was amazing, but even after numerous persuasions, I couldn't get myself to really believe it. I'm telling you, I tried. I'm a BiKyo fan originally, but what's with the hype? I don't understand it at all. And in the end, I couldn't understand why there was drama. I couldn't understand (SPOILER COMING UP) why they just couldn't be together. Where was the problem?

2. Goong: Okay, I also tried to understand the hype, but I can't. At any rate, the ratings weren't that impressive (still hovered in the 20-something percent range. (so why is it yielded as a drama that must be brought abroad?) But there were cute parts, and the scenery was cool. I skipped through a lot in the end, though (and tried to go back to rewatch).

3. Autumn Tale/Winter Sonata: Predictable, predictable, predictable. Melodrama, melodrama, melodrama. I understand the popularity of the shows, but I'm sick of this kind of drama. I was bored to death in both, and I hate Korean Dramas being represented like THIS abroad--because there's so much depth and originality in some of the lesser-known dramas! Whenever I say Korean Drama, I'm sure most people think of these. Yes, I've seen these, but there are so many BETTER dramas out there--those with less crying, less made-up drama, and an overall better plot. By the way, I put these two in the same category, because they are so similar.

Guest fifiz

UNDERRATED

1. Dalja's Spring: I don't believe ratings went over 20%. ;( The drama and plotline were excellent, and Lee Min Ki and Chae Rim had *great* chemistry. I hadn't laughed so much since... My Girl? Choon Hyang? It is, without a doubt, one of my most favorite romantic comedy dramas ever. It seems the "ahjumma-like" dramas are becoming a trend in dramas, but this one was really great. Besides, are you sick of helpless women protagonists? Dalja isn't one of them.

3. Bad Family: This drama was cool because there wasn't that much of a focus on love. Sure, it was there at times, but the majority of episodes dealt with different lives and problems. If you were young, you might empathize with Hee Chul's situation, or if you were old you might understand the grandfather's situation better. Each problem was distinct, and it kept you laughing throughout. It fared fairly well in the ratings, but I feel it could have done much better. Oh, and Nam Sang Mi? Love her as an actress. I had watched this right after watching Sweet Spy, and her personality turned a complete 360. I don't know which one's more fitting for her!

OVERRATED:

1. Full House: I tried to tell myself this was amazing, but even after numerous persuasions, I couldn't get myself to really believe it. I'm telling you, I tried. I'm a BiKyo fan originally, but what's with the hype? I don't understand it at all. And in the end, I couldn't understand why there was drama. I couldn't understand (SPOILER COMING UP) why they just couldn't be together. Where was the problem?

2. Goong: Okay, I also tried to understand the hype, but I can't. At any rate, the ratings weren't that impressive (still hovered in the 20-something percent range. (so why is it yielded as a drama that must be brought abroad?) But there were cute parts, and the scenery was cool. I skipped through a lot in the end, though (and tried to go back to rewatch).

OMG i agree completely (with the ones I've quoted). ESPECIALLY the one about Full House. Although since it was my first kdrama, I loved it when I finished it, I just couldn't understand WHY there was any drama involved. I mean, they knew they were in love, yet...????? Bi just kept saying "I gotta protect Hye-won, so I can't be with you." yadda yadda.

I LOVED Winter Sonata though. It's one of my favorites.

Guest ripgal

The only very underrated and underappreciated drama that I can think of now is Flowers of My Life..

It's one of the Best Dramas of 2007 but to think of the ratings it has garnered over the weeks makes me sad..

It's a just total travesty of justice that such a wonderful drama's being missed and underappreciated..

Archived