Best eyeliner for oily eyelids? Help!

Guest totalaznhottie

Guest totalaznhottie

Hello to all the beauty gurus out there!
I am in need of a little assistance in finding a good eyeliner. I have VERY oily eyelids so everything I've tried so far has given me racoon eyes after only a few hours of wear. :(

List of products I've tried:

Eyeliners - Mac Technakohl Liner, Em cosmetics waterliner, Bobbi Brown gel eyeliner, K-palette 24/hr tattoo
Primers - Mac Paint Pot, Urban Decay Primer Potion, Benefit 15hr primer, E.L.F. primer + seal
Setting Powder/Spray - Urban Decay de-slick power and all nighter setting spray

I've tried a combination of these as well as the eyeshadow over the eyeliner trick and that hasn't helped at all either. I always seem to get eyeliner transferring onto my eyelid after a couple hours (I have hooded lids). If there are any other eyeliners (pencil, gel, or liquid) that you've tried that are smudgeproof and (hopefully) better than the ones I've already tried, please let me know! Thank you!

I use Physician's Formula gel liner (shimmering strips) and I'm also hooded-lid.  I find that it has more staying power without a primer, but if you must use a primer avoid urban decay because for some reason I feel like it makes the lids even more oiler. Definitely set your liner with eyeshadow to avoid transfer and setting powder under the eye!

Sometimes the eyeliner might not be the problem, so you might want to see if the primers are making your lids oiler than they should. Hence, primers wearing off the eyeliners.

I've tried a ton of liners, pencil/cream/liquid, and hands down the one that lasts the longest on me is tarte emphaseyes waterproof clay liner. 
Though I find the liquid ones don't smudge, they tend to kind of...flake off or something. I've tried pencil and cream elf liners, the MUFE aqua eyes liners, lancome artliner, kvd tattoo liner, UD 24/7, just regular maybelline or whatever liners, those pixi eyeliners, the sephora kohl pencils, and now I've realized that I have WAY too much eyeliner. But yeah, the tarte one is amazing.

Guest ylk7a

I also have oily, hooded lids. I'd suggest using an eye primer (I use LORAC Behind the Scenes Primer) with the Dolly Wink liquid eyeliner. I've tried several eyeliners and the Dolly Wink one works the best. If you don't want to order online, you can get the Stila Stay All Day Liquid Eyeliner at Sephora. This one works pretty well too but I prefer the brush tip over the felt tip since it's more precise. I have a comprehensive liquid eyeliner review on my blog.

Guest xDollars

I'm also a member of the oily, hooded eyelid club. The Tarte Clean Slate 12hr Eye Primer works well for me. It can be a little bit hard to get the product out because the tube's sturdier than you'd expect, but I still really like it. For eyeliners, I find that the liquid kind is the best. I really like Physician Formula's Lash Boosting Eyeliner + Serum. It's a little pricey for drugstore, but you can always find coupons or deals at Ulta and CVS.
Kat Von D's tattoo liquid liner works well for me too. Oh, and if you're looking for gel liner, Maybelline and Wet n Wild have two that are great. c: Hope that helps!

Guest totalaznhottie

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!!! I've heard a lot about the Dolly Wink but I know some beauty bloggers said that it doesn't last as long as the K-palette so I was hesitant to try it out since the 1-Day tattoo wasn't up to par with my oily lids. I'll give it a go along with the Tarte and Kat Von D and see which works best for me! *crosses fingers* Thanks again! :D

Guest bbycoco

I have really oily hooded eyelids too and so far, I really like the L'oreal lacquer gel liner. It stays on for a decent amount of time however, sometimes you might have to touch up with eye shadow. :/

Guest jas09xXx

do you have any tutorial on how you apply your eyeliner i have hooded eyes as well that whenever i apply eyeliner it doesn't show :(

don't use K-palette. I threw it in the end. It doesn't stay at all. I have oily eyelid too. I recommend VOV candy pen eyeliner. Buy the jet black one because even it's the darkest, it's not really black. the drawback : sometimes  the ink isn't out so you need to shake it or draw it several times until you get the thickness you want.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest starfishnuna

I have found Dolly wink or Clio's kill black to be quite staying. Plus it's waterproof, so it should do well with a bit of primer?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest totalaznhottie

starfishnuna said: I have found Dolly wink or Clio's kill black to be quite staying. Plus it's waterproof, so it should do well with a bit of primer?

I don't want to make a new topic but I am looking for a pencil waterproof for oily lids. I have tried the Make up forever waterproof, urban decay glide on. Both of them smudged like crazy after an hour and I looking like a panda (I like to put pencil at the bottom of my waterline, for the top part I use gel liner)Anyone know any good pencil that actually is waterproof and will stay on veyr oily lids?

Guest Rekidai

liquid liner - Dior and Stila; I have oily eyelids too and liquid liner is the only one that doesn't smudge. After you apply it wait a minute for it to fully dry. I also use Mac Blacktrack gel liner this works really well if you put eyeshadow on then use this on top. 

Guest electronegative

seconding the dolly wink, here's an amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Koji-Dolly-Liquid-Eyeliner-Black/dp/B008Y03O7E/ref=sr_1_1?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1401295615&sr=1-1&keywords=koji+dolly+wink+eyeliner

i once used it to draw a tattoo on my ankle and it didn't come off for literally a week (i didn't scrub at it, obviously, but still). i'll occasionally do heavy winged liner for special events with the dolly wink, and even if i fall asleep in it accidentally it'll still look perfect in the morning. i have oily lids like you, but not hooded eyes so i can't comment on that part.

also, i've had the same pen for nearly a year and it hasn't started drying out even a little bit yet. very satisfied with dolly wink. if you try it, i hope it works out for you!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JenniKim319

My #1 tip is that it isn't the eyeliner, but the primer/base/eyeshadow that you're using (or not using). My lids are beyond oily and I thought eyeliner was impossible for all day everyday wear, but then I discovered a secret for long lasting, no-smudge eyeliner.

I recommend using a good primer (I use an Etude House eyeshadow primer) and where you apply it is important. Don't put it on just the lid, but a bit past where your lids crease. That's where most of the oil gets trapped so its important to keep that area as matte as possible from the beginning. Then apply a skin - colored eyeshadow in the same fashion (not just the lids, but a bit past the eye crease areas). Using a normal drugstore brand eyeshadow kept my eyeliner from smudging after 8hrs, but when I used Two Faced eyeshadow, it was literally 12hr+ no oilyness.

Whether you wear eyeshadow or not, really try that tip! Especially one that's your skin color so it's not noticeable (if you don't like wearing noticeable eyeshadow).

I tend to double wear my eyeliner too. Which basically means I use a gel liner then go over it again with liquid to make sure it has extra staying power.

I hope these tips help! As someone who loved eyeliner but was ALWAYS smudging even with common tips (like patting eyeshadow on top of the eyeliner, which didn't work for me), hopefully you'll experiment and find what best suits you.

Guest eilrymist

There are some Japanese liquid liners, like the 24 hour tattoo one that work great. I really like the Rimmel Scandaleyes as well. Super creamy and stay on forever

• 1 month later...
Guest LuckyLilly

I use maybelline's gel eyeliner and it lasts for a longtime. If i really want it to last longer, I brush a light layer of setting powder on my lids and lower eyelids.

I've tried Dolly Wink & the 24 hr tattoo liquid liners... but now I swear by physician's formula :) 
Dolly Wink smudged throughout the day and even disappeared completely.. PF stays on all day (even if I take a shower at the gym!) 
as for the 24 hr tattoo... It worked really well but when I went to remove it, I can see a faint tinge of green stays on my skin... :( 
My friend recommended PF to me last year and it's all I use now.. best eyeliner ever! 

Archived