PROM 2011!~

Guest coco-mademoiselle

Guest coco-mademoiselle

share ideas!
Hey Soompiers!

I checked, but i dont think theres a thread posted about this year's prom, but everyone know prom dress shopping season is just around the corner! I thought we could shared ideas and pics of possible prom dresses :) and feel free to discuss how you're getting to prom too! (ie limo, convertible, horseback). I have a dress from grade 10 (I went to prom in a different city then), but can't decide if i should get a new dress or not! So any suggestions/ideas are welcome!

anyways, congrats in advance to all the grads, and post away!

----------------------------------

EDIT: I figured out how to upload my pic!

So this is the dress I wore to my friend's prom (yes, its me). I am currently debating if I should buy a new one or not. It's still in perfect condition and was worn at a prom outside of my town (so no one from my school, except my bff hehe, has seen it on me).

...so to keep or not to keep? any opinions?

164158_1472938072949_1518593576_30991597_7363109_n.jpg

Please close if there is already a topic for prom 2011. I looked, but couldn't find one.

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest duckbutt'

Oh, yayy a Prom Thread :D I needa go shopping soon, but ehh...I guess I'll go later. I'm scared that all the nice ones will go, but I don't want to start shopping just yet. haha I have an idea of what I want though, I'll post pics later!

I'm way past the prom excitement since I finished high school years ago. But a little advice: don't exaggerate x)

Prom is like, the first 'official' occasion for late teens to dress up and feel like a grown up so I don't doubt every girl more or less wants to look outstanding. Going for a classic look is boring, yes, so spice it up a little bit without going crazy, really. You'll have tons of other occasions later on to look radiant :) !

Tone down the makeup is my biggest advice! Keep in mind you want people looking at you to say "Damn, she's gorgeous!" and not "Damn, her lashes are falling off!".

Have fun and good luck finding the perfect dress :D !

Back in the days, I got my dress here : http://www.lechateau.com/

I highly recommend the site (and shop if you can find a boutique near your place). They have great dresses for the occasion.

Guest duckbutt'

^

lmfao thanks for the advice. I wasn't planning on going crazy with it anyway. (: I'm more of a simple kind of person.

I want something kind of like this:

big_thumb_52d1a78c8b8d19cd81b2520146d2c593.jpg

Except you know...cheaper. haha I really don't want to spend a lot for prom -.-

Guest chimerical.

Haha I haven't even thought about dresses yet.. Idk if I should wear a short one or a long dress cause I'm only 4'11. ):

Guest nana★

already bought my dress : )

bought it online, and it was only $100 with shipping~

I thought the quality would be bad but it's surprisingly good haha

fG3YE.jpg

Guest littleblackwings
:) Woohoo! Prom season is right around the corner; what I am more excited about is graduation though, haha. I'm not sure what kind of dress I want yet though.

Guest Alison 蕭慧宗

^ haha your comment and your signname goes hand in hand

already bought my dress : )

bought it online, and it was only $100 with shipping~

I thought the quality would be bad but it's surprisingly good haha

ooh, where did you order from?

Guest serendipitous.elephant

What do you guys think about wearing a short dress to prom?

I know that, traditionally, girls wear long dresses, but I don't think I'll ever find another use for a long dress.

-----

Also, I'm only a sophomore (juniors and seniors can go to prom at my school) because I'm going with my senior boyfriend, so it's not like it's my senior prom.

Beachheart-

Maybe like a tuxedo dress?

31QUmF2BsHL._AA280_.jpg

Guest Rissalicious

i was just thinking about making a prom thread :P

anyway, i wanna buy my dress online, but i dont quite know where to start looking. i know of unique-vintage, but id like more sites to look at. im sure im not the only one so, please post websites! it would help greatly, especially if the dresses are affordable :D

thanks

Wow this is crazy early! We haven't even had our Sadies dance yet (we only have 3 dances a year and sadies is our 2nd one xD). Haha.

@OP, I actually think that dress looks GORGEOUS! Is it your junior or senior prom? Because if it's your senior, I personally think you should find a dress you really just LOVELOVELOVE. And so if you love this one a lot, then by all means, wear it! If you were a junior, this could be a nice chance to save some $$$ (you know them prom dresses can put a hole in your pocket T_T)

In any case, either way, just to let you know that wearing it doesn't seem to be a prom since nobody else has seen it & it looks lovely! :D

@ohayohsiao HOLY CRAP! I think that dress is sooooo cute and unique! Not sure if I'd ever wear it but I totally love it.

Guest mzpoonie

I had a long fuschia dress with small glitter flowers all over and a crisscross string tie-back, I got it at Daffy's for $50! this was back in '05 >.< haha

There are actually a couple of places where girls who don't have money to buy prom dresses can get free donated prom dresses. I think that kind of charity really helps girls who want to have the perfect dress for prom but can't afford it. So after your prom, consider donating that dress because honestly ladies when else are you ever going to wear a poofy pink dress again? lol

Guest coco-mademoiselle

@ Blush 

Thanks for the advice! :) it is my senior prom this time, so I wanted the "perfect dress". I do really love this one, and I'm considering keeping it now unless I find another dress I just can't let go of :P

...now I just need to find a guy. hahahaha >.< 

----------------------------

I've noticed prints seem to really be in style these past few years! What do you guys think?

Oh, and I've been having a dilemma; last time I went to prom, I wore heels and me feet we're killing me! I'm considering going in flats (secretly hehe) this year cuz of all the walking and dancing you have to do (the traditional parent-child dance and the "parade"). Is this that bad of an idea (style-wise)? or should I just sacrifice healthy feet for style again? :P

For all the girls that are wondering about short dresses and whether or not it's worth it:

I'm in university now and when I went to prom, I wore a short dress (few inches above the knee).

I love my dress... it was white with a black print on it..very simple.

I bought my dress, not my parents or boyfriend. Because of that, I wanted to buy something I could wear more than once.

Even then, when I wore my short dress and saw all my friends in these gorgeous long dresses, I felt kind of sad that I didn't buy a long dress.

That being said, since graduating, I've worn my dress at least 3-4 times to fancy dinners and weddings and stuff.

My friends that spent $300+ on those gorgeous long dresses envy me because they'll rarely get a chance to wear their dress ever again.

So will you look back on your prom/graduation and think 'I wish I bought a long dress'? Probably.

But will you get more out of a short dress? Most definitely.

Guest sharin.kenichi

^ I think that depends... 

I went to junior prom with a short one and senior ball with a long one. I think it was definitely worth wearing a long dress because you never really get another chance to wear it afterwards (well I had recitals for piano where long dresses are required.. but it's not the same as going with friends/date and stuff XD) and short dresses in general I find have cute styles. and they are more suited to my liking because long dresses drag (and sometimes the hem rips) 

HOWEVER, I'm in college now... 

And I've never touched either dresses after prom. Even for fancy dinners, my dresses stand out too much. so I wear my LBDs, or some other types of dresses (like homecoming types) I wouldn't really buy dresses for prom because they are practical for future uses but because they are worth it for that one night, whether it's short or long. I'd say try on both without having a preference and i'm sure you'll find "the dress" for you. XD. Or if your school offers multiple formal dances the way mine did, try short for one dance, long for another. that way you'll have no regrets. 

Good luck searching! 

Here are two dresses I absolutely adore...

28bfl7d.png

I don't remember what website this was from... it's not really a

traditional prom dress though. If only I had the height and the figure too.

2r4j345.png

This one was from the Prom Thread 2009.. I don't remember the user, but I just loved this dress! I do remember she said she got it made in Asia though.

Archived