How do you feel about starting a relationship in a video game?

RobinB

I met several amazing friends from Maplestory. It's not weird; just not common/mainstream yet. There's nothing wrong with it.
The thing is that chances of good things coming out of games and websites are quite small. The risks and dead-ends are high.
I've been doing those stuff for 16 years. Out of hundreds of people I befriended online, less than 10 have found a place in my life and remained.

Guest Kerriganton

I know a friend that met his current girlfriend in a video game.

I don't know what is wrong with it. Only weirdos would think there is something wrong with it.

I met tons of people in video games! And "dated", but it wasn't really dating, just getting "married" and getting all the benefits haha. I played MapleStory a loooong time ago and I remembered the wild friend chats with 50 people talking at once. Oh boy.
I mean, if they did decide to take the next step and met each other and liked each other in real life I don't see what's wrong with that. I bet they probably shared a lot of experiences and personal stories during the video game, so it's like a normal friend, only you don't see them everyday. And love developing from friendship is common!

When I play games I like to be left alone so I never socialized on games like Maplestory or sites like omgpop. If it works for other people, then it's their style. Would I do it? No, thank you. You never know what kind of person you're really talking to on the internet.

Guest HERMIT

I gave it a shot once, but it didn't turn out well.

He turned out to be a pretty cool dude though, once our tempers subsided.

Guest Kerriganton

HERMIT said: I gave it a shot once, but it didn't turn out well.

He turned out to be a pretty cool dude though, once our tempers subsided.

Takes all kinds.
I mean really, its not any worse than meeting your spouse in a bar, club or other "recreational" place. 
And it certainly is no different than meeting through an online dating website, social website or arranged dating, imo.
So if it works for someone, what does it matter how they met?

Guest motherducker

^ I think you'll find with great pleasure that I feed off of embarrassment and guilt from the guys I beat in video games ;) Although I prefer playing solo games and not online, the only time I'd play with other people is if I hanging out with a group. 
I think finding relationships through video games is becoming popular nowadays, and it's very reasonable as 2 people are bonding over a common interest. It's very much like online dating. I know several people who have found partners through gaming.

Given the recent advancements in online communications, I don't think online relationships should be stigmatized as much as before. With stuff like webcams, facetime, etc, it's difficult to argue that interacting with someone alone can't be very much like real-life socializing. It's not like the early days when all you had was IRC chat and anonymity made it incredibly easy to lie and people went by the honor system.

Gonna go off on a tangent here, but here's one thing to note about online relationships through games. If there's an in-game marriage system, make sure you read what it actually does before you do so. I used to play Ragnarok Online and this girl I played with asked to get married in-game, and I just went along with it since it sounded convenient. Now, fast forward a month or two down the line, I've been hunting tirfing, rare monster that spawns ever hour, to get an incredibly rare 0.01% drop. It freaking finally drops, so I move over to click it, when suddenly the wife requests that I teleport to her to chat, and the acknowledgment prompt is directly over the drop. I teleport to the wife. Silence. Check my inventory, it's not there. A small part of me dies. I remember it to this day...and this is why I don't play Ragnarok Online anymore.

Guest Kerriganton

Lie said: Back when I played COD MW2 several times a week (and was incredibly good at it) a few years ago, I ran across this girl in multi-player who kept owning me, match after match. Now, I don't know that she was in fact a girl (just guessed based on username + player tag choices), nor had any idea what she looked like, but there was something very attractive about it haha.

I've also always been attracted to girls who crush me at sports in real life since it doesn't happen too often.

While it may seem new, I do not particularly consider this as groundbreaking. If we break it down, it's merely another medium for people to meet, and establish a relationship.

I've commented similarly on a topic devoted to online dating, and I still feel as though this is only slightly different from conventional dating. Meeting people in an environment they frequent (only this time, it's virtual), and engaging in dialogue during some sort of activity.
Hell, if it works, I'm all for it. Whether it's meeting new friends or pursuing something more, this medium allows one to meet others that they otherwise may have been unable or unlikely to meet. I've met some of my great friends through some online games (or a certain kpop forum). Given the right person and circumstances, I don't think I would mind starting a relationship with somebody I've met through a game.

Haha I'd say it's a bad investment if you're a guy. I mean if you end up sharing everything or giving stuff to your online gf she could call it quits and you'll end up losing a lot of resources. I have a friend that played ro and ended up losing a lot of rare items cause he was stupid enough to trade his stuff to a complete stranger.
But yeah no just no.

Guest johnpatric

Honesty I heard this first time so its totally new topic for me.. I heard about relationship and game but this king of topic I heard first time... how does it possible??

Guest theempirebusiness

I think the more shocking fact here is that people still play Maplestory  @-)

Archived