How to make your nails last longer?

cutefluffyemily

I don't know about fool-proof, I think it really depends on how much wear your fingers see. I use a base coat, usually two coats of polish (depends on the color/opacity), and then top coat. My nails last a week easily, I still get minimal tip wear, but I also don'Save Draftt usually do activities that might make them chip.
It might be the polish you're using (some last better than others, my favorite is zoya), might be that you need a better top coat. I use the orly bonder for base and seche vite for top coat if that helps.

In my experience, the nail polish itself (not base coat or top coat) has greater impact on staying power than anything else.
I use cheap base coat and top coat, both from Nicka K.  
staying power varies:
OPI liquid sand: over 1 week with minimal tip wear. top coat was unnecessary. Hard to remove cleanly. Sinful Colors: anything with glitter tends to come off in sheets. sometimes it chips within hours of painting!NYC : significant amounts gone by the time 1 week hits. altho the cheapest line from them tends to stay on longerMaybelline color show: stays for 1 week of you don't pick at itFormula X from Sephora: nearly impossible to get off, even with nail polish removerYSL: again nearly impossible to get off cleanly. it stains a lot. 
Body chemistry also plays a factor. My friend's nails don't chip for 2 weeks straight, even if we have the same manicure on.
Application tips:-start with clean nails. maybe a quick swipe of nail polish remover-buff your nails slightly to give the polish something to grip-apply thin layers! polish chips off easily if applied thickly-paint the tips with top coat so that the polish is sealed in from all sides-paint only on your nail. even if dried polish washes off from the skin, where it broke off from the polish on your nail can cause chipping

I usually go to the salon and get shellac nailsmy nails are weak and brittle after years of fake gel nails, but with shellac it is applied onto your real nails and I have never experience any chipping on the colour or the nails. Unfortunately, you will have to go to the salon to get it removed and they are more expensive than your regular acrylic. 

Archived