Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

P E T S! All About Pets, Pets Pets Pets!

Replies

• Reese77Reese77 Posts: 2Member
    I have to Chihuahua's 1 is 3lbs and the other is about 8 lbs...Thinking about getting an english bulldog...does anyone know if these breeds tend to get along good?
  • sixth.sixth. ? Posts: 3,575Member
    GOOMBA wrote on 14 August 2011 - 01:50 PM:

Has anyone attempted teeth cleaning with an agressive dog?

I've tried Googling methods online but none of them seem to be working for me. I've tried calming collars, "soothing aromas", letting her smell the toothpaste, getting her used to the brush... and many more things, but once my fingers get near her mouth, she'll snap at me and run away (her personality overall is very agressive). I'm not comfortable with constantly putting her under anesthesia at the vet for cleaning because I know there's always that risk that she won't wake up or it will permanently damage her, so I'm trying to go for a natural method.

I don't seem to have this problem with my other dog. He loves taking baths, teeth cleaning, brushing.. he just sits there and acts cute and kisses me to thank me when I'm done. I wish my girl was like him.

There's a type of dry kibble (this one) that's supposed to help teeth. They're larger in size than your average kibble, so when they chew, it's meant to have some sort of friction-ish effect on the tooth surface and chip away the plaque (that's a horrible description, sorry). Also, have you tried giving him bones? Different people have different opinions about them... I know there are always the risks of impaction, broken teeth, choking, etc., but they DO work quite well. And of course, there are always those dentastick things, but... nothing is perfect or can be as good as a scale + polish at the vets. How bad do her teeth get, and how old is she?
  • PYRITEPYRITE Posts: 15,216Friend of Soompi

IDOL

sixth. wrote on 09 November 2011 - 12:37 PM:

There's a type of dry kibble (this one) that's supposed to help teeth. They're larger in size than your average kibble, so when they chew, it's meant to have some sort of friction-ish effect on the tooth surface and chip away the plaque (that's a horrible description, sorry). Also, have you tried giving him bones? Different people have different opinions about them... I know there are always the risks of impaction, broken teeth, choking, etc., but they DO work quite well. And of course, there are always those dentastick things, but... nothing is perfect or can be as good as a scale + polish at the vets. How bad do her teeth get, and how old is she?

Thanks for your input.

After looking at the beginning ingredient list of that kibble (Brewers Rice, Whole Grain Corn, Chicken By-Product Meal, Powdered Cellulose, Pork Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Soybean Mill Run, Chicken Liver Flavor), it contains a high amount of grains and the protein is a by-product (similar to us eating a high amount of carbs and processed meat, like sausages, which I don't feel is healthy) so I wouldn't go that approach, personally...

I've settled for just water and a baby toothbrush right now, and at least the plaque is slowly coming off.
  • nobody knowsnobody knows what I think outof thisworldPosts: 13,077Member

IDOL

my uncle's pom died earlier today

tumblr_luyyg3bdCL1qa2mi5o1_r1_500.jpg

he was 8 years old and lived a happy life
    I only regret that I didn't get to see him more often because he lives in Taiwan

RIP Mango I love you♥
    pervertMalice_Kaiser
  • Irony. Irony. ~ Fly to the Sky ~ HeavenPosts: 8,354Friend of Soompi

IDOL

I was just wondering if cats can get cuddly like dogs?
    I've had one long long ago but it seemed really cold towards me T_____________T
    revised.gif
    b224a7e21.png
    Don't cry bcuz it's over, Smile because it happened || Facebook || 411
  • AziraphaleAziraphale STOP CAT ABUSE!! Posts: 7,258Member

IDOL

edited November 2011
    Irony. wrote on 21 November 2011 - 01:32 AM:

Sure they can. You just have to be patient and not expect the cat to slobber at you like some dogs do. But cats do need affection, so shower kitty with love and care, and get it to learn to trust you. My kitty likes to come over for cuddles often :)
    eight, say you love me, masterpiece
    finito: fragments gesture transient flowers name goodbye  
    CATS ARE LOVE!! STOP CAT ABUSE!! || STOP ANIMAL ABUSE & TESTING!!
  • Malice_KaiserMalice_Kaiser The Real ? Posts: 12,072Member

IDOL

Irony. wrote on 20 November 2011 - 05:32 PM:

Yes, of course. My cat is so cuddly it's obnoxious... all she ever wants to do is cuddle. All my sister's cats are the best cuddlers; they're like kitty versions of teddy bears <3
    taijivn5.jpg
  • eRzzieeRzzie Burnnnnnnn Posts: 1,886Member

IDOL

Photoon28-11-11at822PM2.jpg

Here's my love, my life, my everything!! Haha :)

My kitten loves to suck on my fingers... Should I be worried? She'll usually search for our fingers around 3-4 times a day but I don't want to turn it into a habit. Will she grow out of it?
    And also, she doesn't seem to like the food we're giving her. She used to like them, but she suddenly lost interest? I don't know what food she likes, and it's making me worry. sometimes she doesn't eat her food and she will disturb us when we're eating ours..If only I could speak to her in cat lingo and understand what she wants..:(
    Sig -- under -- construction.
  • atownboyatownboy Posts: 14Member
    i had a white fluffly dog when i was a little kid.. unfortunately it got ran over by a car right in front of me
  • HavenInMuseHavenInMuse Posts: 486Member

IDOL

So I just got a puppy, and I have another dog of 2 years in the house. Whenever I scold the puppy (for peeing, biting, etc), the big one thinks I'm yelling at him, and he gets all anxious, depressed, or runs away scared, and once, defensive and growling. When I try to teach the pup to sit or heel, and he doesn't and do something bad,and i say "no!" the other one gets confused cuz he was doing the right thing. I was wondering how I can communicate with both dogs? Do I start using their names before a command? Not sure what to do right now, or if this is common and they'll understand with time? I can train one separately, but the scolding thing is still a problem with the big dog.
    roughmorning1.pngroughmorning2.png
    credit/cake@june

"In my sky which is my heart, there's a sun which is you" - Master's Sun OST
  • musicsmylifemusicsmylife 714Posts: 1,387Member

IDOL

Reese77 wrote on 04 November 2011 - 12:01 PM:

I have to Chihuahua's 1 is 3lbs and the other is about 8 lbs...Thinking about getting an english bulldog...does anyone know if these breeds tend to get along good?

A little late and you probably won't see this soon haha. I have two mix chihuahua 5-7lb and we adopted a pit bull she's 52lbs now and one year old and well they can "live" together, sometimes but rarely play with each other, always have to watch out when we give them treats because the chihuahuas thinks they can handle the pit bull.... So I assume it's alright to have an english bull dog with chihuahua's. Just really depends on there personality honestly. My chihuahua is really protective of her things and gets jealous a lot so she doesn't get a long super well with the pit bull but the pit bull is super friendly haha but gets a bit overexcited leading to too much aggression. So bottom line it doesn't matter what breed they are just as long as their personalities don't clash.

HavenInMuse wrote on 29 November 2011 - 11:09 AM:

So I just got a puppy, and I have another dog of 2 years in the house. Whenever I scold the puppy (for peeing, biting, etc), the big one thinks I'm yelling at him, and he gets all anxious, depressed, or runs away scared, and once, defensive and growling. When I try to teach the pup to sit or heel, and he doesn't and do something bad,and i say "no!" the other one gets confused cuz he was doing the right thing. I was wondering how I can communicate with both dogs? Do I start using their names before a command? Not sure what to do right now, or if this is common and they'll understand with time? I can train one separately, but the scolding thing is still a problem with the big dog.

I would try the name before the command so they know who you're directing it at. Idk if this is relevant but when we just got two chihuahuas and when there would be an accident in the house we couldn't tell who did it so we would take both dogs near the area and say "who did this?" in like a loud angry-ish tone and the one that did it would quickly walk away. Eventually they both started walking away...so we had to ask them individually with their names like "karrot did you do this?" and we would know who did it.

IDOL

eRzzie wrote on 28 November 2011 - 04:04 PM:

*quoted image*

Here's my love, my life, my everything!! Haha :)

My kitten loves to suck on my fingers... Should I be worried? She'll usually search for our fingers around 3-4 times a day but I don't want to turn it into a habit. Will she grow out of it?
    And also, she doesn't seem to like the food we're giving her. She used to like them, but she suddenly lost interest? I don't know what food she likes, and it's making me worry. sometimes she doesn't eat her food and she will disturb us when we're eating ours..If only I could speak to her in cat lingo and understand what she wants..:(

Adorable kitten!

Don't offer your finger for her to suck, or it'll be a habit that'll be hard to break. Get her a chewy toy (that's safe for kittens) or distract her with string/ribbons etc when she attempts to suck your finger. Tell her firmly no when she tries. Hopefully she gets the message.

As for food, is it too hard? Not suitable for kittens? They don't eat a lot at one go, so distribute the food into small meals about 4-5 times a day and always provide fresh water. Also check with a vet to see if he or she has any recommendations/suggestions.
  • taaaaaytaaaaay exitclosed Posts: 579Member

IDOL

^ Aziraphale, is that your cat in your icon? it's sooo CUTE ♥ ♥ ♥ I have a seven month kitty who looks like that with the same gray fur with white chest, except she has a smaller frame and smaller eyes

One problem is that she has longer fur at the tail/back and sometimes when she poos, it gets stuck to her fur and consequently, all over the floor. Is there a way to fix this problem? Or do I have to trim her fur? Thanks!

IDOL

taaaaay wrote on 05 December 2011 - 11:29 AM:

^ Aziraphale, is that your cat in your icon? it's sooo CUTE ♥ ♥ ♥ I have a seven month kitty who looks like that with the same gray fur with white chest, except she has a smaller frame and smaller eyes

One problem is that she has longer fur at the tail/back and sometimes when she poos, it gets stuck to her fur and consequently, all over the floor. Is there a way to fix this problem? Or do I have to trim her fur? Thanks!

Thanks! :D Here's a clearer pic that I posted in the 20+ section. If you're 20+, do share your kitty's pics in that thread.

As for your kitty, I suggest taking her to a pet groomer and explain your problem. The groomer could help trim the fur and make it look nice as well. Sometimes DIY at home doesn't always work out well, plus the bum is a sensitive area for animals and I think it's better to leave it to an expert the first time round. You could ask the groomer to teach you how to trim the fur so that you can do it yourself when it grows out, or you can just make it a regular grooming session.
    taaaaay
  • PhotogeekPhotogeek Love Song ♥ PDX, OR, USAPosts: 2,567Member

IDOL

<3 I have a turtle, and have had her for almost ten years I believe... IDK I lost count.

Anyways, I wanna put live fish on her tank but idk if that's a good idea....

I saw my friend had a turtle with live fish in it and the turtle ate them... o__o 
  • kounichikounichi Posts: 90Member
    401060_10150672937910830_716985829_12104558_1505970729_n-1.jpg

This is my bf and i's new puppy! His name is Gintaro, and ohhmyygoodnesss...when he's asleep he's super asleep, and when he's up hes up all night -_-
    leehyori2MythnoonA
  • liveasyou-pleaseliveasyou-please Posts: 60Member
    I really really like any animals. I love cats, I wanted one, but my mum is allergic... i_i I envy who actually own a cat! There's one I took secretly who was in the streets without an owner, my mum started to get red eyes and her allergic sypmtoms, so I have to give him to my aunt who lives in another city.
  • ReckLESS_ReckLESS_ Posts: 96Member

ROOKIE

How do you pet owners deal with your pets old age and then death? My chihuahua is about 10 this year and she's still happy and healthy. But I am super close with her, shes like my own daughter. I really don't know what I'll do if she suddenly passes. So my question is..how do you guys detach yourself from your pets who would soon pass away soon?
  • inxomniainxomnia FunkytownnPosts: 1,103Member

IDOL

edited January 2012
    ReckLESS_ wrote on 15 January 2012 - 06:46 PM:

How do you pet owners deal with your pets old age and then death? My chihuahua is about 10 this year and she's still happy and healthy. But I am super close with her, shes like my own daughter. I really don't know what I'll do if she suddenly passes. So my question is..how do you guys detach yourself from your pets who would soon pass away soon?

My old dog didn't die of old age .. it died around 2 yrs old... it was freaking attacked by a neighbour's larger dog (THE F'ERS I swear I wanted to fcking rage and bash the shiz outta their dog, but that's another story). But grief is grief.

How I dealt with it, was cry my eyes out for days on end. I would just cry and be so miserable because it hurt so much. I loved him so much. Make sure you do see it for the last time, because if not you'll regret it so much. Another thing I did to cope and move on is a put together a box of things related to my dog, wrote a letter to my and then buried it in a safe spot. I go visit it on some of my dog's death anniversary or month-versary. It's a place of comfort for me. It's a bit better now, it's been almost 2 years and while I do miss it often, I guess, since my family got new dogs who are wonderful and who I've grown to love, it did get easier to deal with. But what I did learn is, no matter what, I need dogs in my life. They are so loving and loyal that they brighten my day endlessly. They taught me unconditional love and I don't know where I would be (emotionally and mentally) without them. No joke.

Oh and I personally wouldn't try to detach myself, because honestly, that might just a little selfish. It might be easier to let go, but I cannot imagine withholding any of my love for my pets just to be able to let go easier. If I knew they're going to go soon, I'd hug them everyday and just give them all the attention they want and need. Then I'll deal with the grieving and sadness later. But that's just me.
    Octopus__

IDOL

edited January 2012
    ReckLESS_ wrote on 15 January 2012 - 10:46 AM:

Why would you do that? Do you detach yourself from your loved ones (parents, siblings, close friends) because in the end we all die? No, you don't. So shower your chihuahua with all the love you can give, and when she does pass on, you'll be comforted in the thought that when she was alive, you loved her as much as you could. Don't waste time doing something so pointless when you can spend the effort ensuring your chihuahua's remaining years are wonderful ones.
    Octopus__MythnoonAinxomniaNutik