Ahn Jae Wook 안재욱

Guest Yasmin

Yonhap News Agency

March 27, 2016

(Yonhap Interview) Actor Ahn Jae-wook channels new dad self in 'Five Children'

SEOUL, March 27 (Yonhap) -- Actor Ahn Jae-wook has it all -- a successful career, a beautiful wife and now, a new-born daughter whose mere thought brings a smile to his face.

Ahn is part of the first generation of South Korean actors who started "hallyu," or the Asia-wide popularity of Korean culture, in the 1990s. After taking a four-year hiatus, he has finally returned to South Korean TV as a widowed man with lots of baggage in the tongue-in-cheek family drama "Five Children."

"The writer has done a great job of keeping the story light-hearted, even though the topic (of broken families) can become depressing very quickly," he told Yonhap News Agency in an interview recently. "It describes life's pains not too painfully."

Actor Ahn Jae-wook (Yonhap)

Actor Ahn Jae-wook (Yonhap)

In the KBS 2TV drama, Ahn plays the titular character Lee Sang-tae, who is a single dad with two kids. He meets a divorced woman with three children, Ahn Mi-jeong (So Yoo-jin), and the two try to give love another shot even while life throws them curve balls.

"The fast pace of the story throws me off sometimes. I've wondered whether it's too fast for a weekend show, but fortunately the response from people in their 20s has been positive," he said. "They've told me they've had no problem with the pace, and that's how I realized young people are watching our show, too."

A departure from previous, more serious dramas on weekend time slots, "Five Children" had been a source of anxiety among producers at KBS. But contrary to expectations that it may flop, the show opened at a solid viewership of 20 percent and surpassed the 30-percent mark in just 10 episodes.

Having become a dad only a day before the show premiered on Feb. 20, Ahn says the timing of his daughter's birth may have helped his role.

"If I were still single and had to act like a single dad with kids, I would've had more trouble with this role," he said. "But fortunately, I've been married and became a dad before the show started. I think the sense of responsibility I feel in real life has aided my acting. People have been telling me I look very comfortable on the set."

The daughter has not only helped his career but his personal life, too.

"My little brother is 39 years old, so Soo-yun (my daughter) is the first child in our family in 40 years," he said. "My parents are obviously ecstatic, but I've also felt my relationships with them get closer."

A scene from the KBS 2TV series "Five Children" (Yonhap)   

A scene from the KBS 2TV series "Five Children" (Yonhap) A scene from the KBS 2TV series "Five Children" (Yonhap)

Although Ahn and Lee share their marital and parental statuses, Ahn says he's still had to act differently from his true self.

"Frankly, I think Sang-tae is too timid," he said, followed by a laugh. "But I've tried to hold back a little at the beginning, since he's not divorced but widowed -- I figured he shouldn't be too upbeat."

Not only is he good-looking and talented, Ahn has proved to be a family man, too.

"I don't remember buying anything for myself within the past year besides one or two gym clothes," he said. "I used to be so selfish, but now, all I want is to buy things for my wife and my kid."

"Before, I used to treat my friends to dinner on a regular basis, but now I think, 'If I buy something for my wife with this money, I'd probably earn bonus points, wouldn't I,'" he said.

Ahn realizes he's lucky to be in his position -- especially considering the near-death experience he underwent three years ago. In February 2013, Ahn collapsed with a subarachnoid hemorrhage, or bleeding in the area between his brain and the tissues covering the brain.

"Because I hadn't felt sick in the run-up to that incident, I realized immediately how lucky I was to recover. I also experienced no complications like paralysis. So lately, when I watch my wife and daughter sleep in the same bed, I wonder if this is all a dream," he said.

Understanding his fortune, Ahn says he wants to devote the time he has left to work on his career.

"I think (God) has given me more time so I can do more work," he said. "I'll try to reach out to my viewers through my acting on 'Five Children.'"

Scenes from the KBS 2TV series "Five Children" (Yonhap)  

Scenes from the KBS 2TV series "Five Children" (Yonhap)

sojungpark@yna.co.kr

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actor Ahn Jae-wook Accepts Mature Roles, Both On and Off Screen

The heavy workload was starting to show on actor Ahn Jae-wook during a recent shoot on the set of the TV soap "Five Children."

"We shoot six days a week for this 50-episode series. Then when I go home, my 2-month-old daughter keeps me busy," said a weary-looking Ahn.

As one of the first Korean stars to earn fame across Asia, Ahn's popularity predates the rise of the Korean Wave phenomenon in the mid-1990s

2016042200651_0.jpg

Now, he said, his main worry is putting on weight, as he simply doesn't have time to exercise. In "Five Children," Ahn's first TV series in four years, he plays a single dad with two children. 

Best known for roles in melodramas, Ahn confessed that he initially balked at the role of a married middle-aged man. "But naturally I accepted it, along with the changes in my life -- getting married and having a child."

Ahn, who also pursues a musical career as seriously as he does acting, underwent an operation to treat a subarachnoid brain hemorrhage after collapsing while in the U.S. three years ago. Last year he married a musical actress who paired with him in a musical and the couple welcomed their first child, a baby girl, early this year. "After the operation, I was angry and resentful. But now I think perhaps I've been given a second chance at a happy life," Ahn said. 

"I don't handle constant public attention very well. That's why I take long breaks between projects and wait until fans start to wonder what I've been up to," Ahn said. "I want to be a mentor to younger actors, and continue to build my long-term acting career."

source

• 1 month later...

Ahn Jae-wook's daughter's 100 day celebration, "Jo Se-ho didn't come again"

photo727976.jpg

Ahn Jae-wook recently celebrated his daughter's 100th day celebration but comedian Jo Se-ho didn't show up once again.

Ahn Jae-wook posted a picture on his Instagram on the 25th.

The picture is of him and his wife and their 100th day old daughter.

photo727977.jpg

Source

Ahn Jae-wook taking a stroll with wife and daughter

photo728783.jpg

Actor Ahn Jae-wook took a stroll with his wife and daughter

He posted a picture on his Instagram on the 29th.

He is posing with his wife Choi Hyeon-joo and lovely daughter on a day out in the park.

Their daughter Soo-hyeon is sleeping in the stroller while Ahn Jae-wook and his wife Choi Hyeon-joo are looking at the camera.

source

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

June 26, 2016

"Five Children" Ahn Jae-wook and So Yoo-jin get married and numbers skyrocket to 30s

Source: Newsen via Hancinema.net

photo739465.jpg

"Five Children" broke through 30% once again.

According to Nielsen Korea, the KBS 2TV weekend drama rated 30.9% on the 26th.

This is 5.3% more than the previous episode and puts it in the lead. The last time it broke through 30% was four episodes ago.

Lee Sang-tae (Ahn Jae-wook) and Ahn Mi-jeong (So Yoo-jin) finally got married.

Meanwhile, MBC "Happy Home" rated 17.5% and SBS "Yeah, That's How It Is" rated 9.9%.

June 26, 2016

"Five Children" Ahn Jae-wook and So Yoo-jin finally get married

Source: Newsen via Hancinema.net (Photo: OSEN)

201606251046777943_576de295ceea1.png

Ahn Jae-wook and So Yoo-jin finally got married.

On the thirty-eighth episode of the KBS 2TV weekend drama, "Five Children", Lee Sang-tae (Ahn Jae-wook) and Ahn Mi-jeong (So Yoo-jin) got married.

They went through hills and mountains to get married. They went around choosing a house to live in and furniture for their new home. They sent out wedding invitations to their friends and co-workers who truly wished them happy.

Jang Jin-joo (Lim Soo-hyang), Lee Sang-tae's ex-sister-in-law came to the wedding as Lee Yeon-tae's (Sin Hye-seon) friend and had tears in her eyes when she said, "He's not my brother-in-law anymore. He's a stranger". Ahn Mi-jeong also saw her ex-husband Yoon In-cheol (Kwon O-joong) look bitter sweet about her getting married.

Lee Sang-tae and Ahn Mi-jeong spent a night in a hotel after the wedding and promised each other a happy future. At the same time, Jang Min-ho (Choi Jeong-woo) was seen buying the building in which the newlyweds' new home was in.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

August 2, 2016

"Five Children" Ahn Jae-wook and So Yoo-jin, sad the drama is over

Source: TV Report via Hancinema.net

photo753329.jpg

Ahn Jae-wook posted a picture on his Instagram on the 2nd with So Yoo-jin.

They are starring in the KBS 2TV weekend drama "Five Children" as Lee Sang-tae and Ahn Mi-jeong.

Ahn Jae-wook and So Yoo-jin are holding up the script of "Five Children" and So Yoo-jin has her hand wide open to show Five Fingers, meaning "Five Children".

"Five Children" was extended from fifty episodes to fifty-four. They are sad to see the drama nearly over.

Meanwhile, "Five Children" is a comedy drama about the true happiness and meaning of family.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

October 2, 2016

Winners Announced For The 2016 APAN Star Awards

Source: Soompi by notclaira 

Winners Announced For The 2016 APAN Star Awards

On October 2, this year’s hottest dramas and actors were honored at the 2016 APAN Star Awards. The ceremony was hosted by Shin Dong Yup and Honey Lee and took place at the MBC Sangam Culture Plaza. The awards review 63 dramas that aired between September 2015 and September 2016.

Song Joong Ki was the recipient of the Grand Excellence Award (Daesang) for his work in “Descendants of the Sun.” He also won Best APAN Star Award as well as the Best Couple Award with Song Hye Kyo.

In his speech, Song Joong Ki said, “This is my first time receiving such a big prize and I don’t know what to do. ‘Descendants of the Sun’ has received so much love until now, but I wouldn’t be here if not for the hard work of my managers. There are also amazing senior actors here against whom I cannot even begin to be compared. I will work hard to show a good side of myself like my sunbaes from now on.”

Other winners of the night include the Top Excellence Awards for Han Hyo Joo (“W“) and Jo Jin Woong (“Signal”) and Best New Actor/Actress Awards for “Reply 1988’s” Park Bo Gum and Hyeri as well as “Moonlight Drawn By Clouds‘” Kim Yoo Jung.

See the full list of winners below:

Grand Excellence Award:
Song Joong Ki – KBS’s “Descendants of the Sun”

Drama of the Year:
KBS’s “Descendants of the Sun”

Best Writer Award:
Kim Eun Hee – tvN’s “Signal”

Best Director Award:
Shin Won Ho – tvN’s “Reply 1988”

Best actor/actress in a serial drama (top excellence award):
Ahn Jae Wook – KBS’s “Five Children” th_congrats.gif

Kim So Yeon – MBC’s “Happy Home”

Best actor/actress in a miniseries (top excellence award):
Jo Jin Woong – tvN’s “Signal”

Han Hyo Joo – MBC’s “W”

Best actor/actress in a serial drama (excellence award):
Lee Pil Mo – MBC’s “Happy Home”

Jung Yoo Mi – SBS’s “Six Flying Dragons”

Best actor/actress in a miniseries (excellence award):
Namgoong Min – SBS’s “Remember”

Seo Hyun Jin – tvN’s “Another Oh Hae Young”

Best Actor (tied):
Kim Ui Sung – MBC’s “W”

Jin Goo – KBS’s “Descendants of the Sun”

Best Actress (tied):
Kim Ji Won – KBS’s “Descendants of the Sun”

Ye Ji Won – tvN’s “Another Oh Hae Young”

Best New Actor/Actress:
Park Bo Gum – tvN’s “Reply 1988”

Yoon Kyun Sang – SBS’s “Doctors”

Kim Yoo Jung – KBS’s “Moonlight Drawn By Clouds”

Hyeri – tvN’s “Reply 1988”

Best Couple Award:
Song Joong Ki and Song Hye Kyo – KBS’s “Descendants of the Sun”

APAN Star Awards Rising Stars:
Hwang Chi Yeol

Darren Wang

Best APAN Star Award:
Song Joong Ki

Kim Hee Sun

Thanayong Wongtrakul

Joe Taslim

Jessy Mendiola

Narimiya Hiroki

Special Actor Award of the Year:
Kunimura Jun

Global Star Award:
Lee Byung Hun  

Source (1)

Hancinema.net: 2016 APAN Star Awards Winners

photo768606.jpg 

photo768608.jpg

201610022224421113_1.jpg

Source: OSEN

201610022130774853_57f0fe97970a6.jpg

2016100218383292100.jpeg

Source: ITechPost (related excerpt only)

Song Joong Ki Wins Big At 2016 APAN Awards; 'DOTS' Actor Admits He's Still Way Behind Ahn Jae-Wook, Lee Byung-Hun

Even if “Descendants of the Sun” actor Soong Joong Ki was the big winner at Sunday’s 2016 Asia Pacific Actors Network Star Awards, he acknowledged that other Hallyu stars are bigger than him. The most popular actor in China and South Korea today named fellow actors Ahn Jae Wook and Lee Byung Hun as consistent good performers whom he still has a long way to catch up with.

“There are also amazing senior actors here against whom I cannot even begin to be compared. I will work hard to show a good side of myself like my sunbaes from now on,” the 31-year-old actor said.

• 1 month later...

November 7, 2016

Actor Ahn Jae-wook named PR ambassador for Korean Red Cross

SEOUL, Nov. 7 (Yonhap) -- Actor Ahn Jae-wook has been appointed public relations ambassador for the Korean Red Cross, the agency said Monday.

The singer-actor, 45, is among the first generation of South Korean celebrities to start the global popularity of Korean pop culture known as "hallyu." Earlier this year he played a widowed man with two kids in the KBS TV drama "Five Children."

"Ahn plans to actively take part in relief and volunteer efforts in disaster areas at home and abroad, as well as for people suffering from financial and emotional burdens," the Red Cross said.

In September, the actor became a founding member of an honors club for people who have donated 100 million won (US$87,500) or more to the Red Cross. He donated 30 million won toward disaster relief last week, saying he wanted to support those in need.

Ahn is also an active member of a celebrity volunteer group.

This photo, provided by the Korean Red Cross, shows Ahn Jae-wook (R) posing with Red Cross chief Kim Sung-joo after donating 30 million won toward disaster relief at a gala event in Seoul on Nov. 4, 2016. (Yonhap)

This photo, provided by the Korean Red Cross, shows Ahn Jae-wook (R) posing with Red Cross chief Kim Sung-joo after donating 30 million won toward disaster relief at a gala event in Seoul on Nov. 4, 2016. (Yonhap)

hague@yna.co.kr

• 1 year later...

November 23, 2017

Ahn Jae-wook's popularity in the past, Song Jong-ki and Kim Soo-hyun and Park Bo-gum put together

Source: OSEN via HanCinema.net

photo913227.jpg

Ahn Jae-wook was a big shot in the past. His best friend Sin Dong-yup claimed that women who passed him became weak in their knees.

The tvN show "Life Bar" hosted guests Ahn Jae-wook and Lee Gun-myeong. Lee Gun-myeong said, "We were drinking around Gwanghwamun and standing around trying to decide where to go and a woman walked past. When she saw Ahn Jae-wook, she fell to the ground".

Shin Dong-yup said, "Ahn Jae-wook back then was Song Joong-ki, Kim Soo-hyun and Park Bo-gum put together. He was 27 then and he thought he was too young to be getting all that attention so he went back to theater".

• 4 months later...

April 5, 2018

Netflix announces star-studded reality show

Source: INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

Netflix, the global internet streaming service, will release their very first Korean reality show titled “Busted!” which will be hosted by comedian Yoo Jae-suk on May 4.

Along with Yoo, actor Ahn Jae-wook, singer and entertainer Kim Jong-min, actor Lee Kwang-soo, actor Park Min-young, Se-hun of boy group EXO, as well as singer and actor Kim Se-jeong will work together as a team of detectives on the show.

“Busted!” is a variety game show where celebrities appear as detectives solving mysteries full of suspense, surprise and fun. The show will have special guests each week who will join the cast and help them solve mysteries with unexpected twists at the end of each episode.

Netflix will release a total of 10 episodes - two episodes each week over the course of five weeks.

By Sung Ji-eun

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived