[Movie 2002] Addiction / Addicted 중독

rubie

March 10, 2008

Hollywood's remake of "Addicted" premieres in America

Addicted.jpgpossession2008.jpg

Addicted and Possession movie posters

Hollywood has remade the Korean movie "Addicted" into a thriller, "Possession" and will be premiering nationwide on the 28th. This is the second remake of a Korean movie following "Lake House" starring Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock, which remade "Il Mare".

"Addicted", starring Lee Byeong-Heon and Lee Mi-yeon, premiered in 2002. It was about two brothers who experienced an accident on the same day, and the mysterious love story that follows after only the younger brother wakes up and claims that their souls have changed. The basic outline of the Hollywood remake is the same. The main female character, originally Lee Mi-yeon, will be played by Sarah Michelle Gellar, who was in "Scooby Doo" and "The Grudge".

Also, the role of the brother-in-law that earned Lee Byeong-Heon a lot of praise went to new actor Lee Pace. Simon Sandquist and Joel Bergvall are the directors. The movie has not been revealed, and a preview in America is planned for this week. A release in Korea has not been determined.

The remakes of "My Sassy Girl" and "A Tale of Two Sisters" are to be released in the fall in America.

Original article at news.media.daum.net

English translation by www.hancinema.net

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest chocopocky

I saw this movie the other day and it is so amazing. I can't wait until Possesion comes out so I can compare. lol

I saw this movie the other day and it is so amazing. I can't wait until Possesion comes out so I can compare. lol

Hi chocopocky, welcome to Addiction! ^^

So good to know that you've seen Addiction/Addicted & liking it.. tell us what's the verdict for Possession later, huh. :lol: I saw the trailer of the Hollywood remake.. and it 'killed' all the curiosity to watch. :ph34r:

March 10, 2008

Hollywood's remake of "Addicted" premieres in America

Hi rubie - thanks for sharing this. Oh, so many remakes nowadays…..that people never know the original sometimes without proper credits given to the original one. So Hollywood has to get interesting ideas from Korea, huh?

I've seen this & I like the story. No wonder even America remade this. :)

Hi rubie - thanks for sharing this. Oh, so many remakes nowadays…..that people never know the original sometimes without proper credits given to the original one. So Hollywood has to get interesting ideas from Korea, huh?

I've seen this & I like the story. No wonder even America remade this. :)

Hi there. Happy to share anything related to BH and his movies/series. ^^

I guess there are pros and cons when it comes to Korean movies being remade. I've read that by doing such, Hollywood is getting a 'relatively cheaper' alternative than getting an original screenplay. While the Korean version (still) gets pushed back.

But.. obviously, they wouldn't just remake just about anything and out of the blue. Only the good ones with potential to sell, of course. Most remakes (I think, I don't really watch western movies these days) fall flat but there are some that goes a long way.. up till winning the Oscar .. like the remake for 'Infernal Affairs'.. aish.. I forgot the name of the movie that Martin Scorsese did a couple years ago. :sweatingbullets:

Anyway.. it's arguable that Possession would succeed.. and fearing that it'll affect the Korean version if it didn't as people might never heard of Addicted (due to ignorance, failure to be properly acknowledged.. etc) or the audience could be intrigued enough to find out about it, which we sure hope would be the latter. It's still sort of a recognition that Addiction has got the interest of Hollywood. They must have believed in the movie/storyline in the first place and had seen it.. because.. logically, people wouldn't remake something that has no potential.. right?

I still wish that many would actually watch Addicted.. as well. It's really a cool movie, and not-to-be-missed.

addictionpic04do6.jpg

Mentioned on K-Popped! Click on provided link for the full story..

14 March 2008

Hallyuwood films sweep into Hollywood

Addicted (2002) - Possession (2008)

Lee Byeong-heon’s thriller Addicted (2002) is also being remade. It will be called Possession and stars Sarah Michelle Gellar and Lee Pace.

I’ve seen the original Lee Byeong-heon/ Lee Mi-yeon version and it is good albeit a little creepy.

The story revolves around two brothers, the elder one is already married. Both brothers are involved in separate road accidents on the same day and when the younger brother regains consciousness, he mysteriously develops traits and characteristics of his elder brother! Did a soul switch occur?

The Hollywood version, Possession, is reportedly being previewed in the US in March 2008 and a quick check at IMDb.com revealed that the movie’s release date has not been announced.

Addicted review here!

http://k-popped.com/2007/08/addicted-2002.html

Source: http://k-popped.com/2008/03/hallyuwood-fil...-hollywood.html

• 3 weeks later...

Gratitude to byunghunzzang.com for the BAZAAR 2002 captures, more pics at page 3

http://www.soompi.com/forums/index.php?sho...=2884&st=40

Article from Bazaar Oct 2002, thanks to Lucy-LBH.SG

Translated by Splash; Sep 14th, 2003

Feature Editor/ Im Do Hee

Photographed by JO JIN MAN

--------------------------------------

LEE BYUNG HUN, THE STRONG ONE

LBH reveals limitless self-confidence about his acting, life and new movie "Addiction."

200209BAZAAR_1.jpg

LBH has started on the path to becoming a competent leading actor after "Bunjee Jumping of Their Own." However, when considering the characteristics of this extremely unique path, the work "Dae Do Moo Mun" comes to mind.

Having won over the public steadily with dramas and commercials (CFs), LBH now commands the power to choose whatever movies and roles he likes.

However, I feel that in recent years LBH's greatest achievement has to be his success in defining his own "LBH Style." His style is fascinating, sensitive and sexy at the same time. He began sharing his ideas and thoughts with the producers and scriptwriters, so he has now become a difficult actor to work together with. Therefore, his new movie "Addiction" is extremely interesting. The sypnosis of "Addiction" describes its story as beginning from the point two brothers lose their consciousness after meeting with unexpected accidents at the same time on the same day. This movie, which deals with the painful love between the younger brother (LBH) possessed by his older brother's spirit and his sister-in-law (Lee Mi Yeon), is in the midst of hectic production in order to meet its intended premiere in October.

This interview with LBH was held on a day of hectic filming of "Addiction." On a valley in the Dae Gwal Lyeong mountain range, the entire staff were so overjoyed that they applauded when the camera which had been going on endlessly the entire day finally captured its last cut (scene). They revealed that they were so happy and felt just like they had just started their school vacation, so they were going to Dong Hae for sashimi. LBH looked really excited when he asked me whether I wanted to join them. I then started asking this veteran actor with 12 year's experience who was now so thrilled that the filming was finally over, what he thought acting was, what kind of profession an actor was, and how one could earn money.

Q: What have you gained from the movie "Addiction"?

A: I usually gain something in whatever I do, regardless of whether I put a lot of hard work into it or if I simply take it easy ... I can't say now that all these have helped me, but I believe that I will definitely realize later on that I have benefitted.

Q: Did you do a good job in your role as Daejin in "Addiction"?

A: I feel like I am bragging all the time, but I think I did very well (laughs). I also think that I did not get selected for the movie, but that I had chosen to be in it?

Q: I saw Cha In Pyo's "Black Box" recently and according to that movie, the possession of one's body by spirits does not exist. What do you think?

A: I really wanted to watch that one, but didn't manage to catch it. Supernatural phenomena like this exist if one believes in them, and do not exist if one does not believe, don't you agree? I did not act in the movie (Addiction) because I believe in spirit possession.

Q: Did you encounter any spine-chilling incidents during filming?

A: Yes, there were times when I felt really good even though my part in the scene was insignificant. I myself was acting, but there were several scenes meant to tell that "wow, this smile really feels good (or he must be feeling really good in order to smile that way)." During those times, I felt almost as if I could get back at those people who used to tease that I smiled the same all the time and that I had a "Dunkin" smile (laughs). The love scene (LBH chooses to use this expression instead of "bed scene" ) was also good. This is a man moved to tears because he has been accepted by his wife, now that he has got up after spending more than a year lying in hospital, and is now having intercourse with the woman he loves most in the whole world. I do not remember any love scene that shows a man with tears in his eyes while he is making love.

Q: What would you consider first of all when deciding on your next movie?

A: I feel that the content and message (of the movie) are important. Issues like low budget, block buster, etc. are concerns of the producers, not mine. It is also important that the movie appeals to me ... then comical and light characters. I would like to try out less heavy (Splash: He seems to mean "not so serious" ) roles.

Q: Since you love movies so much, you probably don't enjoy working on dramas.

A: Do you know that I need to film dramas to fulfil my remaining contract obligations? I would like to do just movies. I feel that there is definitely something that I gain from working on movies and not on TV. However, since I have to do it anyway, I would like to do it cheerfully (and enjoy it). But the TV fans are like bubbles; the popularity that I get from appearing in dramas just fades so quickly.

Q: I heard that the producers really like your features.

A: I have often heard that I have a face that is great for acting ... That I can manifest even the most subtle expressions on my face? Now even Producer Park Young Hun likes my face which is thinner than it used to be. I can express different feelings even through every single nerve on my face.

Q: I think you act really well.

A: I am not pretending to be modest, but I really don't know what acting is. It is not like in sports when athletes can break records (and see how much they have improved or how they are doing compared to others) ... I just trust my gut feeling and take on every challenge that comes along, so that makes it more difficult. However, what I find really funny is I have been acting for 12 years now, but there are still times when my mind goes completely blank. I then feel like an idiot unsure about the future.

Q: What would you rate as the best thing about your own (LBH's) acting?

A: Acting that is full of creativity and energy. I find it extremely difficult to perform that kind of acting, so there are times when I am so stressed that I can't breathe and have to go outdoors to take some deep breaths. The psychological stress that an actor has to go through is really worse than anyone can imagine.

Q: What do you have to say about critics now commenting that you have become a good actor suddenly after having several movie flops?

A: If the critics put it that way, I would feel happy, of course. I am also happy to know that people go to the movies to watch me ... However, (as much as I am happy that people like to watch me) I also feel pressurized. I feel that movies become hits when the public identifies with the movies, and mania when a smaller group identifies with them. If I am pressurized about movie trends all the time, I think I will most probably fall sick after just working on a few movies?

Q: Do you agree when people comment that you are smart and like a fox?

A: Hmm... I have heard that before. But when it comes to being smart, like a fox, or a genius, it all depends on the situation, even for a genius. I admit that while I may be smarter than others in certain areas, I am really like a fool at times in other areas. Haha! How did I end up talking about this?

Our gratitude to Splash for the wonderful translation & Lucy for the article

0000000713155_Obazzar02.jpg

0000000713180_O.jpg

• 2 months later...
Guest heizen

I like korean dramas and teleseries. With this korean movie "Addicted". It somewhat excites me because of the reviews for this movie. The main character of this movie made a great portrayal in relevance to the title itself. I hope you can give me anyways on how to download this movie for free

Hope to hear from you guys!

heizen

<a href="http://www.drugrehab-center.com">Drug Rehab Center</a>

I like korean dramas and teleseries. With this korean movie "Addicted". It somewhat excites me because of the reviews for this movie. The main character of this movie made a great portrayal in relevance to the title itself. I hope you can give me anyways on how to download this movie for free

Hope to hear from you guys!

Hello heizen! Welcome to soompi and to Addiction movie discussion thread, your very first post at the forum! :D

If you are familiar with Clubbox, there's a couple CBs that has Addiction to be downloaded. The links provided at the first post at Page 1 of this thread.

But if you're ok with streaming videos, here's an easier way to watch. Please let me know how it goes, if this helps. :blush:

To watch ADDICTION online

http://www.crunchyroll.com/media-186887/Ad...vie-Part-1.html

note: the love-scene in the streaming version have been censored, though.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest luudacris

Dammit, I didn't get to see the juicy love scene!

The movie was thrilling, sick, and ironic. It leaves you with a million unanswered questions and emotions that you can't describe.

Guest Tamar1973

I rented this movie some time ago. It's a really good movie. You don't have to be a Korea-phile or really knowledgable about Korean culture to become involved and interested in the characters.

• 1 month later...

Hi & hello there luudacris and Tamar1973, welcome to Addiction! So good to read your thoughts on the movie. :D

Hope you'll share more with us, talks about 'being Addicted'.

---

August 16, 2008 [ChanMi's movie news]

Korean Movies making its way into Hollywood!

MIRRORS

Compared to last year, Korean movie scenarios have been sold to Hollywood for remakes 37% more than last year!

The most recent movies were "The Chaser" and "Seven Days".

"Into The Mirror" starring Yoo Ji-tae and Kim Hye-na has been remade in Hollywood with the title "Mirrors" followed by "My Sassy Girl", "Addicted" remade into "Possession", and "Sympathy for Lady Vengeance".

Let's see if these new movies made remade will be blockbuster hits in the U.S. and around the globe!

Source: photo.media.daum.net via hancinema.net

August 18, 2008

MirrorssrorriM on the wall, would these remakes actually fare? Apparently NOT. dontcare.gif

It's the year for Korean remakes. THE CHASER was sold for a Hollywood remake, as was legal/kidnap drama SEVEN DAYS starring LOST actress Kim Yun-Jin. The much-delayed MY SASSY GIRL remake starring Elisa Cuthbert just went straight-to-video (and it's about as interesting as watching paint dry), THE HOST is getting a Chinese remake from Ning Hao (CRAZY STONE), ADDICTED became POSSESSION (and sunk without a trace, despite starring Sarah Michelle Gellar) and now the remake of K-horror film, INTO THE MIRROR has become MIRRORS, starring Kiefer Sutherland and directed by Alexandre Aja (HILLS HAVE EYES, HAUTE TENSION).

The film opened at number four over the weekend, with around $11 million in box office gross. Even worse, critics don't love it or hate it - they could care less about it:

"Ponderously paranormal film, which Fox withheld from critics for good reason, suggests a violent variant of the studio's megahit NIGHT AT THE MUSEUM." - Variety

"...MIRRORS, a slab of shoddy, hollow rubbish that can't be bothered to concoct imaginative frights or even tenuous bonds between its supernatural terror and its characters' human drama." - Slant Magazine

All these bad reviews make the original actors sad.

So THE LAKE HOUSE (remake of Korea's IL MARE) did okay box office, but POSSESSION, MY SASSY GIRL and MIRRORS have all splatted at the box office like an under-cooked flapjack. Is this because people are staying away from remakes? Or are these just bad movies? I tend to think it's the latter.

Source: Variety Asia

• 3 weeks later...

butter10.gifA treat to read

Our gratitude to the highight by Hyc-EverythingLBH courtesy ylin at ylin.wordpress.com,

a must-read wonderful write-up at YESASIA's YumCha!

yumcha2.jpg

Lee Byung Hun - Man of the World

Written by James Mudge

bh_10.jpg

With the seemingly never ending popularity of the Korean Wave continuing to flourish, a number of stars have become household names both at home and all around Asia. Korean television dramas in particular have proved to be a huge success, elevating certain male actors to heartthrob status, especially in Japan. However, Lee Byung Hun is one of the select few who can truly claim to have achieved global stardom, having won over audiences not only in Korea and Asia, but also in the West, with several promising Hollywood roles lined up, and being the only one of his countrymen to currently have US agent representation - no small feat in an industry notoriously resistant to all but the biggest of foreign stars. This should perhaps come as no surprise, as Lee is far more than a mere pretty face, having won praise for his acting skills in a long line of television series as well as starring in a healthy number of blockbuster films, many of which have been international hits. In addition to this, he is somewhat of a renaissance man, being fluent in English and French as well as in his native tongue, making him a natural choice for roles in almost any country in the world.

Early Television Years

Lee Byung Hun was born July 12, 1970 in Seoul. Interestingly, he started off not in the arts, but majoring in French at Han Yang University, something which would stand him in good stead for the future. After graduating, he made an important decision by enrolling at Chung-Ang University to study theatre and cinematography. Having found his true calling, he focused his energies on acting, dedicating himself to a career on screen.

bh_01.jpg

Lee took his first step up the ladder in 1991 after being noticed at the 14th annual public audition held by Korea Broadcast System (KBS). Winning a contract, he made his debut appearance the same year in the television drama Asphalt My Hometown, immediately winning favorable notices for his performance. Over the next couple of years he continued to star in television dramas, gradually raising his profile through the likes of Family, Days of Sunrise, and the mini-series Morning Without Goodbyes. In 1992 he featured in Tomorrow in Love, a top-rated youth drama directed by Yoon Suk Ho (who was later responsible for the classic Winter Sonata series), which edged him closer to idol status.

bh_02.jpg

Although his popularity was growing, major mainstream success still eluded the actor, and he continued to work in television, appearing in more dramas such as The Fragrance of Love and Dream Racers (which was partly shot in the US). In 1995 he made his film debut in the romance Who Drives Me Crazy?, which he followed in the same year with Run Away, a gritty youth drama from director Kim Sung Su, who later made it big with Musa the Warrior and Please Teach Me English. Still, this did not quite usher him to superstardom, and he spent a few more years paying his dues with appearances in hit television series such as the boxing drama Beautiful Woman and youth melodrama White Nights 3.98, and in the films Kill the Love and Elegy of the Earth.

A Harmonious Breakthrough

bh_04.jpg

1999 finally saw Lee get his breakthrough as he starred in the massively successful series Happy Together, which featured an all-star cast featuring Song Seung Heon, Kim Ha Neul, and future My Sassy Girl favorites Jeon Ji Hyun and Chae Tae Hyun. Sunflower, an anthology of love stories which also screened in 1999, saw him performing alongside a similarly impressive ensemble including Choi Ji Woo (Stairway to Heaven) and Yoo Ji Tae (who went on to be a popular actor in his own right, starring in Oldboy, One Fine Spring Day, and other films).

bh_05.jpg

In the same year he also made an impact in cinemas with The Harmonium In My Memory, director Lee Young Jae's adaptation of the best-selling Korean book Female Student. The film was a tender though believable tale of first love, revolving around a schoolgirl in rural 1960s Korea (played by Jeon Do Yeon, recently excellent in Lee Chang Dong's Secret Sunshine), and offered Lee a memorable role as her new teacher, who she develops a crush on. Interestingly, during the same year the actor also showed himself to be multitalented with the release of his music album To Me.

bh_06.jpg

Lee followed this with his biggest and most successful role to date in Park Chan Wook's blockbuster hit JSA: Joint Security Area. A gripping murder mystery thriller set in the demilitarised zone between North and South Korea, the film saw Lee in top form, and also featured fine performances from Song Kang Ho (a regular Park collaborator, and who recently starred in Bong Joon Ho's The Host) and actress Lee Young Ae (who later took the title role in the director's Sympathy for Lady Vengeance). It was a commercial and critical smash, ranking as the highest-grossing film at the domestic box office ever at the time, and winning a variety of awards. The film was also popular internationally, particularly in Japan, and won nominations and prizes at several festivals including Berlin and Deauville.

bh_07.jpg

Now officially a film star in his own right, Lee next was given the chance to headline in Bungee Jumping of Their Own, the debut feature from director Kim Dae Seung (later responsible for Blood Rain). The oddly titled film featured a suitably unconventional plot, tackling themes of undying love and reincarnation - in this case following Lee as a teacher who suspects that his long-dead sweetheart may have been reborn as one of his young male students (played by Yeoh Hyun Soo, also in Holiday and Birth of a Man). Despite this awkward premise, the film offered a moving exploration of the real nature of love, and Lee flourished in his complex role, proving himself to be a talented and versatile actor. A winner at the prestigious Blue Dragon Awards in 2001, the film helped raise his profile, and to further his acceptance as a serious thespian rather than just a pinup idol.

2001 also saw the actor continuing his run of television hits with the dramas The Long Way and Beautiful Days, the latter giving him one of his most memorable and charismatic roles. At this time, the Korean Wave was really starting to take off, especially in Japan, and both were popular at home and abroad. As a result, and with Lee now established as one of the most popular Korean stars of the movement, a number of his older series were reissued and aired, all to similar success.

Addicted to Success

bh_09.jpg

After providing one of the voices for the animated film My Beautiful Girl, Mari, next up for Lee was a trio of big screen hits, beginning with Addicted from director Park Young Hoon. A supernaturally themed romance in which he featured with actress Lee Mi Yeon (with whom he had co-starred in The Harmonium In My Memory) as a man who seems to take on the personality of his comatose brother. Skillfully combining themes of possession and obsessive love, the ambiguous film added yet another feather to Lee's cap, and has since been picked up for a rather needless Hollywood remake. Next came Everybody has Secrets, a daring romantic comedy which saw Lee taking on the quite possibly real-life role of a man who seems to be nigh on irresistible to women everywhere. No doubt seeking something a little more challenging, he then reteamed with Park Chan Wook for his Cut segment of the horror anthology Three...Extremes, playing a film director tormented by a psychotic fan.

bh_08.jpg

Never one to be accused of resting on his laurels, Lee somehow also found time in 2003 to star in the television series All In. A gambling themed drama, the show became one of the most popular and talked about across Asia, not least due to Lee's off-screen relationship with his co-star, Korean actress Song Hye Kyo (a television idol in her own right, recently in period piece Hwang Jin Yi).

A Sweet Life

bh_03.jpg

In 2005 Lee worked for the first time with top director Kim Ji Woon, who had just been responsible for A Tale of Two Sisters, possibly the best Asian ghost film of recent years, on A Bittersweet Life. Unfairly, though perhaps inevitably compared with Old Boy on the grounds of it being another noir-style thriller, whilst violent and ambiguous, the film was far more of a character piece, being quietly emotional and surprisingly sentimental amongst all the flying bullets and spraying blood. A deserved critical and commercial hit which earned a widespread international release, playing at Cannes and other high profile festivals, the film also won Lee considerable praise for his effective turn as an obtuse, eccentric killer.

bh_14.jpg

Next in 2006 came a change of pace with Once in a Summer, a romantic drama spanning thirty years in the lives of two lovers, with Lee playing a student in 1969 who volunteers to work in the countryside, where he meets and falls for local librarian Jung In (Soo Ae, also in the television series Love Letter). Switching between past and present, the film works well, mainly due to the fact that it is actually a far more substantial affair than might have been expected, exploring the political turmoil of Korea during the last few decades, using the romance to provide a painfully human perspective on national events.

bh_11.jpg

2007 saw Lee's incredible popularity being highlighted again through his cameo appearance in the Japanese courtroom drama Hero, based upon the successful television series. Although minor, the actor's role made for an attention-grabbing scene, which basically involved the main character travelling to Korea for the express purpose of seeing him. In the same year, Lee was also immortalized by having his likeness used for the Capcom video game Lost Planet: Extreme Condition, again underlining his international appeal.

The Good, the Bad, the Weird and G.I. Joe

bh_12.jpg

Lee's next role sees him joining forces once more with director Kim Ji Woon for the eagerly awaited and eccentric sounding Korean Western The Good, The Bad, The Weird. Boasting an incredible trio of leading men, with Lee playing The Bad, Jung Woo Sung (recently in The Restless and Daisy) playing The Good and Song Kang Ho (naturally) playing The Weird, the film is a tribute to Sergio Leone's 1960s Spaghetti Westerns, set in Japanese occupied Manchuria in the 1930s - all of which is more than enough to make it a mouth watering prospect.

bh_13.jpg

Inevitably, Hollywood came calling, and Lee answered, accepting a role in The Mummy director Stephen Sommers's live action G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra. Although acting in a film based upon a children's cartoon and range of toys may not necessarily seem particularly dignified or fitting for such a respected performer, it represents Lee playing by the usual rules and accepting the type of part usually offered to Asian actors in the West. At least with the film being a big budget, blockbuster affair, it will certainly offer the actor widespread exposure, and if a hit will hopefully lead to more offers more befitting his talents. A more interesting international prospect on the horizon is I Come With the Rain, which he recently completed for Vietnamese director Tran Anh Hung, who previously won acclaim for Cyclo and The Scent of Green Papaya. A moody private eye thriller, the film has an intriguing cast, including Josh Hartnett, Hong Kong actor Shawn Yue, and Hero star Kimura Takuya.

As if this wasn't enough for Lee's legions of fans, the actor is also returning to Korean television screens with IRIS, the country's most expensive series to date, which he will co-produce as well as star in. Although details of the plot have yet to be released, with Lee involved it is highly unlikely that it will be anything other than yet another hit, and indeed that it will serve only to propel his star even further into the stratosphere.

Published August 18, 2008

Original spource: YESASIA - YumCha!

http://www.yesasia.com/global/yumcha/lee-b...ed-article.html

• 1 month later...

October 7, 2008

Japanese Satellite TV to Hold 'Lee Byung-hun Festival'

bh089.jpg

Japan's largest commercial satellite channel Sky Perfect TV will hold a two-month-long special event during which it will feature films and dramas starring Korean actor Lee Byeong-heon. The event will begin this month.

Prior to the event launch, Sky Perfect TV produced and aired four different versions of a TV ad promoting the event. During the "Lee Byeong-heon Festival" period, the channel will air some of the actor's major works including "Addiction," "Once in a Summer," "Lament" (aka Elegy of the Earth), "A Bittersweet Life," "Bungee Jumping of their Own," "Happy Together" and the drama series "All In."

Source: KBS Global

http://english.kbs.co.kr/entertainment/new...9669_11858.html

Official Website skyperfectv.co.jp

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Rating: 5 stars out of 5

Starring: Byung-hun Lee, Mi-yeon Lee, Eol Lee, Seon-yeong Park

Director: Young-hoon Park

Brief synopsis of Addicted

Two brothers, Ho-jin and Dae-jin, were the only family they had. The older brother Ho-jin married Eun-soo, extending their family to three, and they all lived happy, tranquil days together. But one day, in spite of Ho-jin's objection, Dae-jin takes part in a car race finals. At the exact same time and in different places, both brothers get into a tragic accident and they both lose consciousness.

Addicted

SAI81 from Tonbridge [Highly rated reviewer] , 17/08/2006

Many times over the last few years I've reiterated my admiration for the new wave of South Korean actors, writers and directors. I'm aware that this may be getting a touch boring but then they will insist on making great film after great film.

Addicted, made in 2002, is no exception. Ho Jin (Lee Eol) and Eun Soo (Lee Mi Yeon) are a married couple in their early thirties living with Ho Jin's younger brother Dae Jin (Lee Byung Hun) as a lodger. One day both brothers are involved in separate car accidents, Dae Jin in the race he is driving in and Ho Jin in a taxi on the way to that race. Both are sent into comas but only Dae Jin wakes up. However on his return from the hospital he seems different, he takes up his brother's work and pastimes and then reveals that, though it is Dae Jin's body which is back from hospital he is, in fact, Ho Jin.

The supernatural romance concept isn't particularly new, this film has echoes of many others, Truly Madly Deeply comes to mind immediately though here we're not dealing with ghosts. What is different about Addicted is not so much the initial concept as the way it unfolds and keeps you guessing as to the outcome even beyond the final frames.

Much of the film is carried on the shoulders of Lee Byung Hun and Lee Mi Yeon. Byung Hun is simply one of the finest young actors in world cinema besides this he'll be best known to international audiences for A Bittersweet Life or perhaps Park Chan Wook's segment of Three Extremes. Addicted is his finest hour to date, he's absolutely fantastic, playing the subtle shadings of his character and its various incarnations often in silence but always completely truthfully. As great as Byung Hun is Lee Mi Yeon is even better, she's great with dialogue certainly but it's almost more interesting watching her react to others dialogue, witness her flat out brilliant performance in the scene where the man she's known as Dae Jin at last convinces her that he is Ho Jin (it's easier to follow than to write about, I promise). The chemistry between the two crackles, particularly in a lengthy and tender love scene. :blush:

Regrettably I can't talk about the dramatic turn of events in the last act. It's something that really could go either way but, for me anyway, it works like a charm and allows director Park Yeong Hoon to play merry hell with the audiences emotions.

Park leaves things unresolved at the end, not in a bad, untidy way, it's simply that he doesn't provide answers as to how the late twist in the tale will be dealt with and this uncertainty is one of the many things that mean Addicted is a movie that if you see it as part of a larger audience you will be talking and probably arguing about and one you'll remember for much longer than most of the present Hollywood dreck which seems to slip from my mind as I rise from my seat.

Source: www.lovefilm.com

A single press conference pic at the 'Addiction' location in 2002, hope we'll get more captures to share from the event (missed it before) .. :blush: .. that'll be awesome, always love this movie..

Also.. suddenly remembering the necklace Ho-jin gave Eun-soo.. the one that broke and he kept it in a bottle (promising to fix it).. is there any clear image or still of this necklace anywhere?

115436_addic[W636-].jpg

Source: www.cine21.com

• 3 weeks later...

December 25, 2008

Discovery Channel's "Seoul Documentary" Features Rain, Lee Byung-heon

081225_ent_1.jpg

The "Discovery Channel," a documentary TV channel, is to broadcast a program about Seoul and its residents.

The Seoul metropolitan government said the production crew from the Discovery Channel had visited Korea recently to film a documentary about top Korean stars Lee Byung-heon and Rain against the backdrop of the Han River, Mount Namsan and the Myeong-dong and Hongik University areas. The program tells how the two have risen to stardom and gained recognition worldwide.

Entitled "Hip Korea," the program consists of two 45-minute parts. The one entitled "Seoul Vibes" introduces Rain, while the other one, entitled "Seoul Savvy," is about Lee Byung-heon.

The part about Rain shows the Hongik University, Cheongdam-dong and Chyeonggye Stream areas to introduce the dynamic side of Seoul, while the part about Lee shows Apgujeong-dong, Insa-dong and Samcheong-dong to introduce the serene and romantic side of Korea's capital city.

The show will air in Australia and New Zealand in January, in Southeast Asia in February and in Europe in May. A government official said the program is expected to improve Seoul's image by showing off the city's unique charms on the Discovery Channel.

Source: KBS Global

It's definitely a WHOLE LOT different than the naked Dae Jin we see before.. :blush:

Lee Byung-heon in Elle

December 26th, 2008 // by javabeans

Check out Lee Byung-heon’s rock-hard body, taken here from the pages of the January issue of Elle magazine.

Related PHOTOS at dramabeans/Elle.com with more feature posted at LBH thread ««

Lee owes his fantastic physique (at least in part) to the work he’s been doing for his Hollywood debut in the upcoming year with two films, action flick G.I. Joe (with Dennis Quaid, Sienna Miller, Brendan Fraser) and cop thriller I Come With the Rain (with Josh Hartnett, Takuya Kimura). He plays the villain in both films, but if anyone can give his villains emotive flair, it’s Lee Byung-heon, who’s built his career on work like Bittersweet Life, All In, Addicted and, most recently, The Good, The Bad, The Weird (in which he played “The Bad”).

In the Elle interview, Lee said of his G.I. Joe role: “It was a very new experience. The movie mixes fantasy and science-fiction in a way Korean movies don’t, and it feels very experimental.” He also expressed the anticipation in showing a whole other side to himself. More than the sides to himself that we’re seeing here, that is.

Via DongA, thanks to dramabeans.com

Archived