Fatal Frame Ii: Crimson Butterfly

Echoe

freakin' scariest game I've ever played...
Who here has managed to play Fatal Frame II: Crimson Butterfly?

Keep in mind, I'm an avid gamer. (aka nerd) From the Nintendo DS lite to the 64 edition to the Playstation 2, I am obsessed with video games. One of my favorite genres is survival horror, and I do not get scared easily when I play those types.

But Fatal Frame II just scared the living shiz out of me.

For those of you who need the 411, it's about a pair of Japanese twin sisters who accidentally wander into a deserted village that has been to know sacrifice twins in a ghastly horrid way to satisfy their rituals. One of the twins is supernatural and she goes deeper and deeper into the village/forest, and you are her sister, trying to save her while fighting off these ghosts at the same time. Your only source of weapon is a camera. Depending on the way you take pictures of the ghosts and position the camera when they confront you, you can do a lot of damage including vanquishing, exorcising, etc. Basically, you're supposed to make it out alive, with your twin sister beside you.

This is not your typical ghostbuster survival game. It gives you a psychological fear, one that encaptures your mind and confines you into an almost claustrophobic state full of fear. I have never encountered such a scary game since the Silent Hill series.

To this day, I never finished it...maybe I will when I grow some more balls. I usually sit on the couch wrapped up in blankets in my boyfriend's basement with the AC on while he plays, and I provide the screaming. ^_^

Here are some screenshots taken from the game itself:

tecmo_fatalframe2xbox-1.jpg

Starting off as one of a pair of twin sisters embarking on a haunted journey...

fatalframe2_10t.jpg

Mio? There's blood on my hands...and I don't know how it got there...

tecmo_fatalframe2xbox-3.jpg

Hi...

zero3.jpg

Yeah, you really don't want this to happen to you.

Guest Misao

^ haha yeah

i bought it, but never played it :lol:

i just let my gamer friends play it for me while i watch them from behind(:

Guest Malice_Kaiser

I've beaten all three Fatal Frame games at least twice each. ^^;;; Definitely one of my favourite games series. And probably the scariest game anyone can find (though Silent Hill is a very, very close second. Very close.)

All three Fatal Frames are amazing, and all horribly terrifying. It saddens me when people are too afraid to even finish it. ^^;;;;;

But I gotta warn you, if you plan on playing the whole series, definitely save the third one for last. The first and second you can play in either order, but the third one is the one that ties the two together. On top of that, it's the scariest (IMO)... You just won't be able to appreciate it without being familiar with all the characters from the first two games.

And also, I know a lot of people get so lazy with this, but read the texts too. The Fatal Frame series has a story that goes so, so deep. Even the ghosts that seem to just be there for filler, all have their stories and backgrounds. Take the time to really read what the game throws at you (meaning the books, scraps, diaries, etc., that you find), and you'll find yourself loving the story even more. It's not that you won't "get" the game if you don't read, it's that you won't understand it to it's fullest, and then it just becomes another flat, underdeveloped survival horror. And it's not.

That's why I love the games so much. Each time I play I discover new things I didn't notice before, and my appreciation just grows even more...

Yeah, okay, sorry for babbling. ^^;;;;

Yeah, I've had that game for about 4 years and finally got around to beat it.

Played it on Easy though and the ending was refreshing. And the ending song is also quite catchy. I love when they play a song at the credits, makes the game feel more like a cinematic movie than just a game.

Guest xcindyloooo

I've had it for over around 10 months and lately I haven't played much.

I think I'm pretty far in the game but it's scary searching around for so long with no idea what to do. o__o;

But don't get me wrong, I love fatal frame II<3

It has an amazing story line and in my opinion, is one of the best games out. :)

Guest monchichi

Hmm... is the movie still coming out?

I've seen pictures of it but I readily admit I'm too chicken to play. The only survival horror I'm game enough to play (slowly) is Resident Evil...

I might, however, just download the emulator and see if I can get a copy of FF just to see what it's like.

Is it as scary as Forbidden Siren? Even the website was really scary for me >.<

Guest Madoki

sounds like agood game. i want to play it b ut then i don't wana play it alone haha. and a movie of this game would be so awesome. and isn't this game based on a true story?

Guest yumin1988

Uh-huh...

Definitely one of the scariest games...

I tried playing this with a group of friends with the lights off and stereo on... it wasn't the best idea..

sounds like agood game. i want to play it b ut then i don't wana play it alone haha. and a movie of this game would be so awesome. and isn't this game based on a true story?

The first fatal frame was based up a true story, although it highly twisted the facts about the tale, to make it presentable as a game. The rest of them though are works of fiction.

Guest thatguy

yeah i played it a long time ago and beat it (using online walkthrough) :sweatingbullets: got the bad ending....but it was scary as hell...im the type who loves to save more than often and (spoiler alert) when i decided to go back to the room and save, the damn ghost came out of the chest and i was effin running the heck out....lol.

Guest Malice_Kaiser

Hmm... is the movie still coming out?

I've seen pictures of it but I readily admit I'm too chicken to play. The only survival horror I'm game enough to play (slowly) is Resident Evil...

I might, however, just download the emulator and see if I can get a copy of FF just to see what it's like.

Is it as scary as Forbidden Siren? Even the website was really scary for me >.<

The announcement for the movie was yeeeears ago, and still no one has heard any news. As a matter of fact, there were rumours of it coming out last year, when in reality nobody even knows a cast yet. Needless to say, I don't think it's still in production.

As scary as Forbidden Siren?

Well maybe this was because I played the Fatal Frame AND Silent Hill series first, but Siren to me was a joke. I didn't bother finishing it, because not only was it not scary but the dialogue was so terrible, the graphics were annoying, and the gameplay was something I've never seen before (and that's not a good thing. you have separate actions for EVERYTHING. "Open car door. Sit in seat. Put key in ignition. Turn key. GTFO, game.)

But that's just my opinion.

Resident Evil is a good series, but it's not comparable to Fatal Frame simply because I don't consider them the same genre of game. They're different kinds of scary.

Guest DKYang

Wow, sounds scary. :o

Sounds like fun to play, but I can't even beat Resident Evil 4 (never played previous versions). -_-

Guest monchichi

The announcement for the movie was yeeeears ago, and still no one has heard any news. As a matter of fact, there were rumours of it coming out last year, when in reality nobody even knows a cast yet. Needless to say, I don't think it's still in production.

As scary as Forbidden Siren?

Well maybe this was because I played the Fatal Frame AND Silent Hill series first, but Siren to me was a joke. I didn't bother finishing it, because not only was it not scary but the dialogue was so terrible, the graphics were annoying, and the gameplay was something I've never seen before (and that's not a good thing. you have separate actions for EVERYTHING. "Open car door. Sit in seat. Put key in ignition. Turn key. GTFO, game.)

But that's just my opinion.

Resident Evil is a good series, but it's not comparable to Fatal Frame simply because I don't consider them the same genre of game. They're different kinds of scary.

Damn... I was hoping they were at least doing something in regards to a movie production... oh well... maybe in 10 years time?? XD I loved what they did to the RE movies though. I can't wait for the third one to come out later this year.

Yeh I read in a review on Forbidden Siren that the game play takes a LOT of patience. Hmm.. I'll keep that in mind. I would've thought the scary factor would've been on par with Fatal Frame but I guess not, hehe. Or maybe it's because you're a 'seasoned' survival horror player!

And I also agree with Resident Evil being in a different kind of field than Fatal Frame (I watched some clips from Fatal Frame on youtube last night and it took me an hour to try and get to sleep). I think Fatal Frame focuses more on psychological fear?

Resident Evil: CV was so good, but I've never gotten as far as to finish it. My mum gave my DC to our relatives in Vietnam before I could move on to Disc 2.... >: (

Anyway, I can't wait until my cable connection resets its quota so I can surf at the normal speed and then I can get the Fatal Frame emulator and rom XD

I would have to say the games that leave the longest "scare" factor for me would have to be Silent Hill, than Fatal Frame and Resident Evil would be a VERY far last.

Resident Evil's scary is more like an adrenaline scare, where u need to run away or deal with the problem and then everything would be dandy, but freaking Silent Hill is hearing all those eeries noises and not knowing where it's coming from, sometimes it's close and other times nothing's there. -__-

Guest Malice_Kaiser

Damn... I was hoping they were at least doing something in regards to a movie production... oh well... maybe in 10 years time?? XD I loved what they did to the RE movies though. I can't wait for the third one to come out later this year.

Yeh I read in a review on Forbidden Siren that the game play takes a LOT of patience. Hmm.. I'll keep that in mind. I would've thought the scary factor would've been on par with Fatal Frame but I guess not, hehe. Or maybe it's because you're a 'seasoned' survival horror player!

And I also agree with Resident Evil being in a different kind of field than Fatal Frame (I watched some clips from Fatal Frame on youtube last night and it took me an hour to try and get to sleep). I think Fatal Frame focuses more on psychological fear?

Resident Evil: CV was so good, but I've never gotten as far as to finish it. My mum gave my DC to our relatives in Vietnam before I could move on to Disc 2.... >: (

Anyway, I can't wait until my cable connection resets its quota so I can surf at the normal speed and then I can get the Fatal Frame emulator and rom XD

Yeah, I'm excited at the idea of a movie but at the same time afraid they won't do it justice... There's that risk with all game-to-movie adaptations though. D:

Well it depends on the person though, as far as Siren is concerned I suppose. I just had trouble getting into it, and that's a pretty big factor. You have to allow yourself to get into it, y'know?

"Seasoned"? Hah hah, I wouldn't say so. XD; I haven't actually played many survival horror games (but I totally obsess over the ones I do like)... I'm way too picky. My problem is that the first games I played were ones that I personally think can't (or rather, haven't yet) been beaten in all around... goodness. So when I try a new one I always end up comparing. *fails*

I would have to say the games that leave the longest "scare" factor for me would have to be Silent Hill, than Fatal Frame and Resident Evil would be a VERY far last.

Resident Evil's scary is more like an adrenaline scare, where u need to run away or deal with the problem and then everything would be dandy, but freaking Silent Hill is hearing all those eeries noises and not knowing where it's coming from, sometimes it's close and other times nothing's there. -__-

I agree completely. ^^

Though for right now I think FF is actually scarier than Silent Hill, only because I've played SH so many times I know what's coming most of the time. 8D;;;;

Guest monchichi

Has anyone seen the walkthrough clips for Fatal Frame on you tube? XD

I think it's a good experience for anyone who's too chicken to play on their own and just want to see what the game's all about... I'm watching it right now and I'm freaking out as we speak, but it's oh so fun!! :)

Link:

http://www.youtube.com/user/fatalframer39

This person has videos of all 3 games! The quality isn't that good but yeh... still scares me anyway.

Archived