Ha Jung-Woo 하정우 [Drama “Narco-Saints” | Upcoming: Movies “Nocturnal”, “Ransomed” | Travel Reality Show “Bros on Foot”]

Helena

Guest adikkeluangman

Watch: Park Jin Young Reveals His First Teaser for “Still Alive”

Hot off the heels of releasing TWICE’s teaser for their upcoming comeback, Park Jin Young has revealed his very first teaser for his solo comeback.

On April 5, Park Jin Young shared his first video teaser through various SNS accounts. The clip reveals that his digital single “Still Alive” will be released on April 10.

1459843351298_99_20160405170404.jpg?type

In the teaser, the JYP Entertainment head can be seen doing a parody of a scene from Ha Jung Woo’s film “Nameless Gangster: Rules of Time.” Park Jin Young’s spot-on acting has impressed and entertained viewers familiar with the famous scene in which the actors says, “Still alive.” It has further been revealed that the film’s production company and Ha Jung Woo previously gave their consent for the parody and the usage of Ha Jung Woo’s voice from that scene. Both parties are supportive of Park Jin Young’s comeback as well.

Park Jin Young will be holding his comeback stage on the April 10 live episode of SBS’s “K-Pop Star 5.” His song will be available on music sites following this performance.

Are you excited for his comeback?

http://www.soompi.com/2016/04/05/park-jin-young-reveals-his-first-teaser-for-still-alive/ 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest adikkeluangman

J.Y. Park talks about Akdong Musician + behind stories of 'Still Alive' MV

Following his photo shoot for 'High Cut', J.Y. Park engaged in an interview where he shared thoughts on education, music, and more.

First, he revealed stories from the set of his "Still Alive" MV. The last scene of the MV parodies a hit Korean movie - 'Nameless Gangsters: Rules of Time'. J.Y. Park went on to share that actor Ha Jung Woo from the film was originally scheduled to appear. He said, "Jung Woo said he was going to join, but it didn't happen because of schedule conflicts. He very much enjoyed the MV though. He even told me that I looked like Marlon Brando."

jy-park_1461022232_p1.jpg

J.Y. Park then moved on to the topic of his recent show 'K-Pop Star', and pointed out the importance of creativity and education. J.Y. Park said, "None of the winners of 'K-Pop Star' so far have grown up in a standard education system. Akdong Musician grew up in Mongolia and received homeschooling. Wouldn't the outcomes be all the same if everyone lives by the same patterns of home, school, lessons, library, and tutor? The current education system is in the process of making 'art' into a 'product'.

Lastly, the artist shared passion for music as he said, "If I had to choose between being a long-term musician or being successful, I would choose the long-term. It would make me terribly sad if I had a different job other than this one that I love." 

http://www.allkpop.com/article/2016/04/jy-park-talks-about-akdong-musician-behind-stories-of-still-alive-mv 

Guest adikkeluangman

J.Y. Park reveals how he almost got talented actor Ha Jung Woo to star in his MV

On the April 20 airing of 'Weekly Idol,' J.Y. Park talked about how he almost got A-list actor Ha Jung Woo to feature in his new MV "Still Alive." 

J.Y. Park revealed that "Still Alive" was actually inspired from a line Ha Jung Woo dropped in one of his movies. The JYP head was so greatly inspired from this particular line that he had even reached out to Ha Jung Woo to ask him whether he'd like to make a special appearance in the "Still Alive" MV. J.Y. Park explained, "I've contacted Ha Jung Woo to ask him if he'd like to appear in an MV. He agreed very readily." 

CghZJ6lXEAELx96.jpg

Unfortunately, due to Ha Jung Woo's promotions schedules overseas, he couldn't make it in J.Y. Park's MV; instead, J.Y. Park took Ha Jung Woo's place. The singer said, "I just imitated Ha Jung Woo for the MV." 

http://www.allkpop.com/article/2016/04/jy-park-reveals-how-he-almost-got-talented-actor-ha-jung-woo-to-star-in-his-mv 

• 3 weeks later...

May 12, 2016

‘The Tunnel’ to release in August

restmb_jhidxmake.php?idx=5&simg=20160512
Ha Jung-woo, Bae Doo-na and Oh Dal-su from left

Korean disaster film “The Tunnel” -- starring Ha Jung-woo, Oh Dal-su and actress Bae Doo-na -- will open in theaters in August.

It revolves around a man trapped in a collapsed tunnel.

Ha took the role of a father named Jung-soo who struggles to survive in order to return to his family, while Bae plays his wife Se-hyun, who manages to remain undaunted throughout the accident.

Lastly, Oh portrays the chief of a rescue team working hard to save his life with a sense of duty.

The last movie by the film’s director, Kim Sung-hoon, was “A Hard Day” released in 2014 that was listed for competition at the 67th Cannes International Film Festival.

By Kim Soo-hyang (shkim@heraldcorp.com)

Guest adikkeluangman

Gong Yoo, Ha Jung Woo, Jo Jin Woong, And Jung Yoo Mi Grab A Drink At Cannes Film Festival

Some of Korea’s top actors gathered for a few beers at one of the world’s top film festivals.

On May 16, Syd Lim (Lim Seung Yong), the CEO for Yong Films that produced “The Handmaiden” updated his Instagram with a picture from France. Currently, the actors from “The Handmaiden,” directed by Park Chan Wook and “Trip To Busan,” directed by Yeong Sang Ho, are in Cannes, France for the Cannes Film Festival.

CioNe6DUoAEBzON.jpg

In the photo, you can see the four actors looking chummy as they enjoy their time broad. Their individual personalities show in their different poses, ranging from Gong Yoo‘s gentle smile to the cute V shown by Jung Yoo Mi to Jo Jin Woong who is goofily staring off into space.

In addition to “The Handmaiden” and “Trip to Busan,” another Korean film “The Wailing” is also being shown at Cannes, demonstrating just how much the Korean film industry has truly established itself in the world.

http://www.soompi.com/2016/05/16/gong-yoo-ha-jung-woo-jo-jin-woong-and-jung-yoo-mi-grab-a-drink-at-cannes-film-festival/ 

Please check out HJW & The Handmaiden in Cannes updates at the movie thread HERE

May 19, 2016

Ha Jung-woo on Cannes red carpet

Actor Ha Jung-woo had a photo shoot for fashion magazine High Cut during his visit to the 69th Cannes Film Festival. image

(High Cut)

Ha plays a lead role in Korean filmmaker Park Chan-wook’s latest film “The Handmaiden,” which premiered in competition at the festival. Park previously won the Grand Prize of the Jury at Cannes in 2004 with his seminal film “Oldboy.”

Ha has attended Cannes four times since his 2006 Cannes debut with director Yoon Jong-bin’s film “The Unforgiven.” 

More photos will be available in the magazine’s 174th issue, set to be released Thursday.

By Kim Soo-hyang (shkim@heraldcorp.com)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

June 26, 2016

Ha Jung-woo to make cameo in ‘Entourage’

Source: INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

Actor Ha Jung-woo will appear on the small screen for the first time in nine years, according to sources in the entertainment industry Friday.

The actor has been confirmed to take part in an upcoming tvN drama series tentatively titled “Entourage” as a special guest. Ha’s exact role in the new series has yet to be determined. 

Although he will only appear for a cameo, the role is expected to make a splash, as it is the first time Ha will appear in a drama since “H.I.T” in 2007.

Ha is a renowned actor in Korea, who has taken part in numerous projects since his debut in 1998. He made himself known to the public through “The Chaser” (2008). Ha most recently starred in director Park Chan-wook’s film “The Handmaiden,” which was highly acclaimed at the 2016 Cannes Film Festival. 

“Entourage” is a black comedy drama and a remake of the American drama of the same name that aired from 2004 to 2011.

The setting for the drama is a broadcasting station. The show will feature various singers and actors as cameo guests.

Other celebrities who have been confirmed to take part include actress Song Ji-hyo and actor Kang Ha-neul. 

The first episode is scheduled to air in October. 

By Jin Min-ji

• 5 weeks later...

July 20, 2016

Locarno Books THE TUNNEL International Premiere
Disaster Drama with HA Jung-woo, BAE Doo-na to Screen in Switzerland

by Pierce Conran / KoBiz

WvBDkzVxlUBcxMyonyek.png

The Locarno International Film Festival will present the international premiere of upcoming disaster drama The Tunnel at its 69th edition next month. From A Hard Day (2014) director KIM Seong-hun, the film features HA Jung-woo, BAE Doo-na and OH Dal-su.

The Tunnel features HA as a family man returning home for his daughter’s birthday who is trapped when a tunnel he drives through collapses around. He struggles to stay alive with limited resources while his wife, played by BAE, and a rescue team trying to reach him from outside. The film is based on a 2013 book of the same name by author SO Jae-won.

The film will screen Out of Competition at the Piazza Grande, which features the largest outdoor film screen in the world and can welcome over 8,000 spectators. The Tunnel will screen on Thursday, August 11th, just one day after it opens in theaters in Korea.

HA most recently appeared in PARK Chan-wook’s Cannes-invited thriller The Handmaiden while BAE, whose last Korean film was A Girl at My Door (2014), is currently shooting the second season of the Netflix show Sense8 with The Wachowskis. Meanwhile, popular supporting star OH will also be seen this summer in the sports drama Run-off, a sequel to 2009’s Take Off.

The Locarno International Film Festival, which last year awarded its top prize, the Golden Leopard, to HONG Sang-soo’s Right Now, Wrong Then, as well as the Best Actor prize to the film’s lead JUNG Jae-young, will take place over August 3rd to the 13th.

July 25, 2016

‘The Tunnel’ to compete at Sitges Film Festival

Korean disaster film “The Tunnel” has been invited to join the competition section of the Sitges Film Festival 2016, according to its distributor Showbox on Monday.

The Sitges Film Festival, held in Catalonia, Spain, is one of three major film festivals in Europe. It focuses on fantasy and horror films and its 49th edition will take place this year from Oct. 7. 

In the the main competition section, “The Tunnel” is expected to compete with other Korean movies such as “The Handmaiden,” “The Wailing” and “Train to Busan.”

“The Tunnel” will also be screened at the Locarno International Film Festival in Switzerland on Aug. 3. 

The film, which stars actor Ha Jung-woo and actress Bae Doo-na, depicts a man who finds himself trapped in a collapsed tunnel while on his way back home. 

It will be released in Korea on Aug. 10. 

By Son Ji-hyoung (json@heraldcorp.com)

August 1, 2016

Ha Jung-woo conducted CT scan after filming ‘Tunnel’

Actor Ha Jung-woo said he took a CT scan after filming for the movie “Tunnel” on Sunday’s episode of “Section TV Entertainment News” on MBC.

(MBC)

Ha played the role of a man who is trapped in a collapsed tunnel in the film. 

“We used grain powder and charcoal powder to create an appearance of dirt and dust,” Ha said. “I heard that grain powder can make your hair too stiff if too much powder gets in your scalp. So I got a special hair treatment at a hair salon for the first time in my life after filming ‘Tunnel.’” 

“I also coughed a lot from all the powder when filming the movie, so I had a CT scan of my heart after the filming. Luckily, my heart was fine,” Ha said. 

“Tunnel” will be released on Aug. 10 in Korea. It features Bae Doo-na and Oh Dal-su in addition to Ha. 

By Lee Ji-hae (jihlee@heraldcorp.com)

August 2, 2016

Early Sitges Picks Favor Korean Genre Films
THE WAILING, THE TUNNEL, THE HANDMAIDEN, TRAIN TO BUSAN Headed to Catalonia

by Pierce Conran / KoBiz

XCjYQzhbacZYQXsWxpZy.png

In the lead up to October 7th, the Sitges International Fantastic Film Festival of Catalonia has begun to trickle out portions of the program of its 49th edition. In what has been a strong year for Korean films, many are expected to land at the Catalonian genre event. So far, the festival has invited NA Hong-jin’s horror hit THE WAILING, KIM Seong-hun’s disaster drama The Tunnel, PARK Chan-wook’s lesbian period thriller The Handmaiden and YEON Sang-ho’s zombie blockbuster TRAIN TO BUSAN.

Released back in May, THE WAILING received a raft of extremely positive reviews from its Out of Competition bow at the Cannes Film Festival and was unexpected smash in Korea, garnering 6.88 million admissions (USD 50.36 million). Last week, it won the Best of Bucheon and NH Audience Award from the Bucheon International Fantastic Film Festival (BiFan).

Following the critical and commercial success of the dark and comic thriller A Hard Day (2014), director KIM Seong-hun returns with The Tunnel, a disaster film featuring HA Jung-woo and BAE Doo-na. The film will bow in Korea on August 10th and will have its international premiere the following day at the Locarno International Film Festival.

The other two Korean titles from Cannes this year are also booked for Sitges. Both PARK Chan-wook and YEON Sang-ho have featured prominently at the event in the past and audience will be keen to check out their latest films. The Handmaiden, based on the novel Fingersmith by Sarah Waters, is set in the Colonial Era and marks PARK’s return to Korean filmmaking after his English-language debut Stoker (2013). TRAIN TO BUSAN is the first live action film from YEON and is a sequel of sorts to the animation title Seoul Station, which closed BiFan last week.

August 4, 2016

‘Tunnel’ aims to rediscover value of life

Director Kim Seong-hun’s latest film juxtaposes will to survive, limits of human compassion 

The all-too-realistic nature of director Kim Seong-hun’s upcoming summer thriller “Tunnel” may leave a bitter taste in the audience’s mouth.

Centered around one man’s fight for survival after a tunnel collapse, the film holds a mirror up to societal and political shortcomings that pervade all organizations. 

Scene from upcoming film “Tunnel” (Showbox)

In a short but telling portrayal of protagonist Lee Jung-soo (Ha Jung-woo) before the freak accident, he is an avuncular character who exudes a sense of familiarity. A father, a husband and a proud and dedicated car salesman, Lee finalizes a lucrative deal with a client on his way back home, leaving him in high spirits that come crumbling down along with the tunnel. 

Reported to be the only victim and survivor of the disaster, Lee manages a few rushed phone calls to the outside world, including his desperate, yet cautiously hopeful wife Se-hyun, played by Bae Doo-na. 

Returning to a Korean film for the first time since starring in 2014’s “A Girl at My Door,” Bae is a refreshing reminder that body language and facial expressions often speak louder than words. 

Scene from upcoming film “Tunnel” (Showbox)

As days of recovery efforts turn into weeks and the public’s concern for the victim quickly withers away, Lee’s only champion is lead rescue worker Kim Dae-kyung, played by Oh Dal-su. However, Kim’s unwavering efforts are undermined by scoop-hungry and sensationalist media, as well as a number-crunching administration led by a president (Kim Hae-sook) who exerts authority void of leadership. 

Making futile attempts at self-rescue, Lee sustains himself on a dwindling cake-and-water diet, and, perhaps more importantly, humor. This juxtaposition is what the director refers to as “ironic humor.” 

“If a film is too serious, it makes the audience uncomfortable. If it’s too comic, then it compromises suspense and reality,” said Kim during an interview at the 2014 Cannes Film Festival. “Laughter sustains the plot in a tragedy.”

Despite rarely appearing all together in the film, Ha, Oh and Bae exhibit an undeniable chemistry that is consistently palpable and carried well throughout the movie.

“Oh Dal-su and Bae Doo-na are people I can communicate and connect with even through a simple text message,” said Ha, recounting the cast’s first script reading at the press screening of the film in Seoul on Wednesday. “(Bae) in particular has been charismatic and dependable right from the beginning,”

However, in contrast to the filmmaker’s commitment to depicting the intricacies of the rescue process and true-to-life representation of the regulatory and bureaucratic failings of modern society, the movie’s rushed conclusion, which plays too much by the book, leaves a lot to be desired. 

While “Tunnel” clearly strives to question the government’s moral compass and priority, that is not the director’s ultimate mission.

“In the end, the takeaway is very simple,” said Kim. “It’s about the unrelenting will to survive and recognizing the value of life”

Part thriller, part tear-jerker, “Tunnel” is set to open in local theaters on Aug. 10.

From left: Oh Dal-su, Bae Doo-na, director Kim Seong-hun and Ha Jung-woo pose at a press conference held at the CGV theater in Apgujeong-dong, Seoul on July 7. (Showbox)

By Kim Yu-young (ivykim@heraldcorp.com)

August 5, 2016

Ha Jung-woo talks about his acting philosophy

Director and actor Ha Jung-woo appeared in “JTBC News Room” on cable channel JTBC on Thursday to talk about his upcoming film “Tunnel,” and reflected on his philosophy as an actor in general. 

Ha (JTBC)

“My role models are Robert De Niro and Al Pacino, although they are quite different. Al Pacino is the type who shows steadfastness in the way he acts. On the other hand, Robert De Niro often shows changes. For instance, he shaved his head and even got dental surgery for his roles in films such as ‘Frankenstein,’ ‘Cape Fear,’ and ‘Angel Heart,’” he said, adding that reconciling the two styles was a work in progress. “I am still trying to decide which way I would like to act, and striving to find a balance between these two acting styles,” he said.

Ha remarked that it was important as an actor to portray a multifaceted character. 

“Everyone has duality. Hardly anyone is pure good or pure evil. So I try to portray the complex human nature when I act,” he said. “For instance, the character I played in ‘The Handmaiden’ is a con artist who tries to swindle a woman out of her wealth. However, I acted in a way so that the audience can feel some level of compassion for this scammer. I think portraying such duality adds to the twist of the plot, as it makes the character less simple.” 

Ha says that he tries to grasp the worldview of the mass public in order to make movies better suit the audience’s perspective and preferences.

“The vast majority of the public who watch the movies I direct or feature in are non-directors and non-actors, you know. So I try to vicariously experience their lives and understand their viewpoints,” he said. “I hang out with my friends from childhood years during my leisure time, and listening to their lives helps me understand the world outside cinematography.” 

Ha has featured in several blockbusters, including “The Berlin File” (2012), “Assassination” (2015), and “The Handmaiden” (2016). 

By Lee Ji-hae (jihlee@heraldcorp.com)

Cast of new movie 'Tunnel'

Cast of new movie 'Tunnel'

The cast of the new movie "Tunnel" pose for photos during a press preview of the film in Seoul on Aug. 3, 2016. The movie features the struggle for survival of a man trapped inside a collapsed tunnel, efforts of the rescue team, and the changing public reaction to the unfolding saga. From L -- actor Ha Jung-woo, director Kim Sung-hoon, and actor Oh Dal-soo. (Yonhap) (END)

August 8, 2016

(Movie Review) 'Tunnel,' well-crafted, realistic disaster film

By Shim Sun-ah

SEOUL, Aug. 8 (Yonhap) – The next time you're driving through a tunnel, if you want to get a shiver, imagine the tunnel collapsing and you being trapped inside.

In the new Korean film "Tunnel," actor Ha Jung-woo, in collaboration with the director-screenwriter Kim Seong-hun, brings this vision thrillingly and hauntingly to life.

A still from "Tunnel" (Yonhap)

Lee Jung-su (played by Ha), a car salesman full of curiosity and positive spirit, is trapped inside a newly built tunnel alone after it collapsed abruptly on his way back home with a birthday cake for his daughter on the back seat of his car. With no major injuries fortunately, Jung-soo endures isolation following instructions from a 911 rescue team leader named Kim Dae-gyeong (Oh Dal-su) while awaiting the rescuers' arrival.

He subsists on the cake and two small bottles of water, which he got from a gas station that he visited before getting on the highway. In South Korea, gas stations usually give customers one bottle of water or a small pack of tissues as a token of thanks for using their service. But an elderly part-timer there gave him one more bottle of water because Jung-su was patient when the man moved very slowly and mishandled his order.

Unlike typical disaster movies that usually have a hero or two saving other characters during a crisis, the film deals with a man's lonely struggle to survive. Our protagonist here is far from a hero although he willingly helps those in trouble.

He is just an ordinary man, who finds joy in small things and gets angry at minor things, an element that makes it easy for the audience to connect with the character. The film doesn't have any villains or selfish characters that enrage the audience like an express bus company executive in the current local box-office hit "Train to Busan."

In that point, Jung-su is much like Chuck Noland, played by Tom Hanks, in the 2000 American film "Cast Away." Compared with Noland who lives on a deserted island that is far from civilization after a plane crash, however, Jung-su is a lucky guy because he has a cake, two bottles of water and an almost fully charged mobile phone. Also in the car are flashlights, an extra T-shirt that can help prevent hypothermia, a set of nail clippers, and, more importantly, a radio system where he can hear music and news from the outside world.

As news of the incident spreads quickly across the country, the government swiftly organizes a task force aimed at addressing the tunnel collapse and vows to "do all it can to rescue" the man trapped there.

Believing that he will be rescued in days, Jung-su cleans the car seats where he sleeps, sips water after marking gradations on the bottles, and puts on socks and his amateur soccer team uniform although the car is severely dented from the rubble.

Outside the tunnel, high-level government officials who visited the scene of the accident are busy taking pictures with the victim's wife, Se-hyeon (Bae Doona), and journalists are only obsessed with getting a scoop.

As the days turn to weeks, however, the public opinion, which was so supportive of the rescue operation at first, turns icy as the work troubles the ongoing construction of a nearby tunnel. And media companies begin to cautiously raise the need to stop the protracted operation, citing the possibility that he may be dead and the huge economic losses caused by the delay in the construction project.

The center of the film is a gripping heart-in-your-mouth evocation of the unbearable loneliness and terror of ultimate abandonment once its protagonist, stranded and presumed dead, gives up hope of being rescued but still clings tenaciously to life. And it never pushes us too hard and even delivers unpretentious fun through the witty tale of the man's journey to survive.

Ha did such a great job of creating a three-dimensional character facing a tragic situation, making full use of what he has in him. Time flies when you're laughing, crying and fuming with him. Also equally impressive was the masterful performance of actor Oh and actress Bae.

"Tunnel" opens in South Korean theaters on Wednesday.

sshim@yna.co.kr

user posted image

August 10, 2016

'Tunnel': Locarno Review

By Jason Bechervaise | Screen

NISI20160607_0011776959_web.jpg

Dir: Kim Seong-hun. South Korea. 2016. 126mins

A marriage of director Kim Seong-hun’s dark humour and social critique, Tunnel smartly probes some of the problems in Korea surrounding the issue of public safety. Although fictional, there are clear similarities here to the tragic Sewol ferry sinking in 2014 which killed 304 passengers.

Kim successfully captures the loneliness and entrapment underneath the debris and the chaos outside
Safety is a recurring issue for a society which has developed so rapidly, and Korean audiences have repeatedly demonstrated their appetite for films dealing with topical issues (Inside Men, Veteran), which could give the film a longer shelf life after a domestic opening on August 10, despite a lack of outright melodrama. Doona Bae’s star-power will also help.

International audiences tempted by Kim’s critical and commercial hit A Hard Day should welcome Tunnel’s well-balanced tonal shifts, even though the film doesn’t quite hit the same narrative momentum as his previous feature. The film begins its international run at Locarno before heading to Sitges in October.

The film follows car dealer Jung-su (Ha Jung-woo) as he drives home to his wife and daughter. He enters a tunnel which collapses as he is driving through it, leaving him buried under the rubble.  This short but terrifying sequence underscores Kim’s strong yet also subtle craftsmanship, enhanced by Mok Young-jin’s understated score.

Jung-su manages to find reception and makes a phone call to the emergency services who neither understand the severity of the situation nor ask him the right questions, failing to inquire as to his condition.  Once the first responders, led by rescue chief Oh Dal-su finally arrive, they are clearly inept are dealing with the situation, bringing out an operation manual that is useless. In fact, it’s the press who make contact with Jung-su, turning the whole situation into a farce.

Jung-su is soon informed that it will take days to reach him, and he is left with just two bottles of water and his daughter’s birthday cake for nourishment. Politicians also enter the scene, including a minister played by Kim Hae-sook (The Handmaiden), but just get in the way.

Jung-su’s wife, played by Doona Bae, discovers what has happened from watching the news in a supermarket, and comes to the site to discover the tunnel has collapsed further. She is soon asked to meet the minister in front of the local press.

International viewers may be taken aback by the lack of urgency in getting Jung-su rescued, and also how the authorities are willing to go ahead with the construction of a nearby tunnel. Korean audiences, however, will accept this scenario isn’t quite as far-fetched as it seems.

Kim Seong-hun places most of the action either inside the tunnel or its immediate vicinity, capturing the loneliness and entrapment underneath the debris and the chaos outside. After successfully playing a radio host in a confined studio space in Kim Byung-woo’s The Terror Live, Ha Jung-woo seems well-suited to the lead role. Character actor Oh Dal-su (Veteran) playing the rescue chief, brings his customary authority to the role. Doona Bae (Cloud Atlas) doesn’t quite get the screen time her fans might have hoped for, although she delivers a smooth performance, both authentic and captivating.

August 10, 2016

Locarno 2016 Review: THE TUNNEL Excavates Thrills, Drama and Politics Galore

Pierce Conran ScreenAnarchy

The peak summer box office season is winding down in Korea, but not before unearthing The Tunnel, a new disaster film from A Hard Day (2014) director Kim Seong-hun. Featuring superstars Ha Jung-woo and Doona Bae in a powerful tale combining humanity and social commentary, this big-budget affair executes a effective two-handed play by suffusing its narrative with obvious melodramatic hooks while maintaining a restrained, clear focus throughout.

Ha plays Jung-soo, a car salesman heading home with a cake for his daughter's birthday. When a tunnel he drives through collapses around him he must fight to stay alive long enough for a rescue team to get to him. A relatively simple rescue operation becomes an ordeal when incompetence and government interference slow down the process.

Unlike other recent Korean disaster films, such as Haeundae (2009), Deranged (2012) or The Flu (2013), which spend most of their first acts introducing us to characters before raising the stakes, The Tunnel wastes no time in setting up its premise, when it strands its main character well before the ten minute mark. Through a quiet scene at a gas station and a few calls as he drives, we immediately get a feel for Jung-soo in those opening minutes but the film quickly pivots as it becomes more concerned with setting up the tone of the lengthy and disastrous rescue operation that will play out over the course of the narrative.

When Jung-soo makes his initial call for a rescue, the blasé attitude of the disinterested emergency phone operator strikes a balance of disbelief and nervous humor which carries throughout the film. The Tunnel is based on a 2013 novel by So Won-jae but one can clearly feel that the story has been reworked to reflect concerns over safety and the government's handling of national incidents in the wake of the Sewol Ferry Incident. In an obvious dig at the sitting Korean president, Kim Hae-sook appears briefly as a national assemblywoman more concerned with photo ops than Jung-soo's safety. Other parallels with the self-serving behavior of officials and mindless hive activities of the media pepper the narrative but director Kim is mindful of the broad audience which a film like this needs and is careful not to take things too far.

With ample charm, Ha is an engaging and charismatic lead as he carries the many single-protagonist scenes in the story. But if anything his character is almost too much of a nice guy and the film encounters some trouble when he discovers another female survivor in the tunnel. His actions toward her are selfless while she is portrayed as more of a nuisance and the rescue operation outside never refers to her.

Despite limited screen time in a role that largely consists of talking on the phone and looking worried as she trots around the rescue site, the best thing The Tunnel has going for it is a terrific and understated performance from Doona Bae. Her powerful turn gives the film its best scene in a tearful radio address than in any other hands would likely have turned into lachrymose histrionics.

The ever reliable Oh Dal-su, playing the manager of the rescue site, becomes the conduit of our frustration as he wrings out palpable exasperation from a character whose earnest attempts are foiled at every turn.

Though not without its own minor pacing issues, The Tunnel proves to be Kim's most balanced work following the uneven How the Lack of Love Affects Two Men (2006) and the propulsive A Hard Day, which kicked off with one of the best opening acts in recent memory but build on it in a conventional climax.

Creating a claustrophobic feel through strong lensing, production and sound design, The Tunnel elevates its message through sensory thrills and thankfully avoids wearing out its welcome by dispensing with the false endings that plague so many four-quadrant Korean titles. In a summer that has been dominated by a zombie apocalypse and the Korean War, the relatively quaint tale of (mostly) one man's struggle in a collapsed tunnel proves to be one of the season's most thrilling offerings.