Miss Universe Winner

Guest yoori

Guest GoRgYnA

you know what after watching her video, i actually like her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n23ipCXprN8

people can keep on saying that she didn't deserve it but compared to last year's who also didn't deserve to win, i think she's more deserving because she at least stood out, and had something unique.

and now that i think about, i am glad miss brazil didn't win. i never liked brazil coz she looked old and so pageant patty but now i don't like her even more for being such a sore loser.

Sore loser?

A Brazilian newspaper O Estado de São Paulo, asked Miss Brazil and Miss Universe first runner-up Natália Guimarães, about her opinion on the results of the pageant. The paper reported that Brazilian fans call Miss Japan Riyo Mori's victory as "unjust" and that Guimarães was "robbed" of the crown. Even Marta Rocha, a former Miss Brazil who placed second in Miss Universe 1954, commented about Guimarães [my translation]: "She was the most beautiful of all. She has an elegance that is worthy of a Miss." Rocha, who knows Guimarães personally, attended the finals in Mexico City. "She should be elevated to Miss Universe. It would be a question of injustice."

Asked about her loss to Mori, Guimarães remarked [my translation]: "I did not expect to lose to Miss Japan. I was apprehensive because of Miss Venezuela who is beautiful. I think that Riyo won because she had the best lobby. She was not the most prepared." Guimarães also laments the fact that her wardrobe was not as glamorous or fashionable as that of Mori who has opulent sponsors.

Guimarães seems not to like Mori very much: "She [Mori] did not follow the directions of the organizers. On the runway, she did the opposite of what was required. She danced during the swimsuit segment."

I can't remember of any first runner-up in the history of Miss Universe who could be so whiney and bitter as Rocha and now Guimarães. Maybe Miss USA Christie Fichtner, who lost to Barbara Palacios of Venezuela in 1986. Fichtner reportedly did not attend the coronation ball because she could not accept her loss; however, I don't recall her bad-mouthing Palacios or dissing her in public, unlike Guimarães.

In other news, William is back in Los Angeles and he will submit his final report soon. His friend Miguel will also send pics from the pageant, so stay tuned!

http://www.criticalbeauty.com/Miss_Univers...Rafas_Blog.html

And Riyo is honestly a fresh of breath air to the organization, no more pageant patty girls. We have a fresh, modern, spunky winner. Oh, watch out for her on a show on NBC (Possibly Heroes) and MTV will be doing something like a 'diary' on her.

Presenting the new roomies

DOTW_MissUniverse2007_USAJAPAN.JPG

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest GoRgYnA

What has Riyo been doing recently?

from Ines Ligron's blog, Riyo's national director.

10:00 am Today I had one-hour interview with Fuji TV, Hakken, who came to the Miss Universe Office to meet me, while Riyo went to audition at NBC for the TV series. She had to read her script together with another actor in front of the casting team. They were so impressed with her capability to act and with her outgoing personality.

12:00 pm She had 2 hours of media training.

3:00 pm Riyo met the Managing Director of Bulgari Americas and his public relations team. Riyo's apartment is very close from the new main Bulgari shop in Manhattan. Afterwards, we went shopping at Prada opposite side of the Trump Towers, (Riyo’s new boss owns it…). The sales started today all over New York City!

5:00 pm Riyo met with a top executive of MTV, they loved her. This project is really exciting, and will inspire many young women to apply.

6:00 pm She went to the gym to do palates with Eric her personal trainer, and Roston her manager. Then hot sauna, Riyo's favorite. (while I am writing my blog... she gets fabulous by the minute, while I get more squared by the second!)

9:00 pm We will have dinner at Nobu. Last night we had diner at Matsuri and all Japanese staff was so excited to meet her. She even went to the kitchen to say hello to the cooks and Chefs. They were happy and kept congratulating her.

TOMORROW SATURDAY

We are going to the Hamptons!!! Dany Wolf, my friend & movie producer graciously invited usinvited us to stay at a trendy hotel. Also we will cruise in a boat when we arrive in the Hampton. Dany's friend Rocco owns the Pink Elephant there & in NYC and we will have a glass of champagne before going to bed. Riyo needs to relax, and if I don't I might die soon of exhaustion! We are very happy.

From Saturday pm to Sunday pm, we will be back for Riyo to attend the Japanese National Day, celebration event sponsored by Fuji TV in Central Park. Riyo is Guest of Honor.

This is all for today. I hope that by writing Riyo's activities, you can stay connected to her somehow.

Guest badhairday

you know what after watching her video, i actually like her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n23ipCXprN8

people can keep on saying that she didn't deserve it but compared to last year's who also didn't deserve to win, i think she's more deserving because she at least stood out, and had something unique.

and now that i think about, i am glad miss brazil didn't win. i never liked brazil coz she looked old and so pageant patty but now i don't like her even more for being such a sore loser.

And Riyo is honestly a fresh of breath air to the organization, no more pageant patty girls. We have a fresh, modern, spunky winner. Oh, watch out for her on a show on NBC (Possibly Heroes) and MTV will be doing something like a 'diary' on her.

Presenting the new roomies

DOTW_MissUniverse2007_USAJAPAN.JPG

Thanks for the link to the video. How ppl can call Miss Japan ugly is beyond me...

I'm also happy that Miss Brazil didn't win..talk about sour grapes.

I think Miss Venezuela was unlucky to have Dave Navarro's final question... otherwise, I think she could of won.

Guest crystallizedtear

I didn't watch Miss Universe, but I did hear a lot about it and the contestants…anyways…I'm really happy an Asian won! woot! =D

she seems very charming and confident. Her personality is probably what won her the crown. and I say...yah for looking past the surface...

plus, she's not ugly at all. I think she’s really pretty and stands out from the rest of the contestants

i didn't think Lee Honey was going to win. She's really pretty but in a generic ‘pretty girl’ sort of way...i’m not hating! That’s just my opinion.

Guest Nana

from the miss universe website, "close- ups" with the contestants. very interesting.

miss japan: http://www.missuniverse.com/delegates/2007...JP-closeup.html [english]

miss korea: http://www.missuniverse.com/delegates/2007...KR-closeup.html [english]

miss philippines: http://www.missuniverse.com/delegates/2007...PH-closeup.html [english]

miss china: http://www.missuniverse.com/delegates/2007...CN-closeup.html [chinese, no translation]

you can also check out the other contestant's anwers by picking their country on the drop down list on the left and then clicking "videos"

judging from these videos miss japan seems like a regular girl-next-door type. she's very giggly, but her answers seem kinda short compared to the others. [not bashing]

Japans close up was kindda short but to me it seemed very natural (it had more personality) thought if you watch Miss Korea's close up it seems like she's reading the answers, it lacks personality as well and I found her close up boring. Philippines close up wasn't too bad either because she had the best English out of the girls.

I'm happy Miss Japan won, she seems charming to me and there's no question that she's gorgeous. I haven't watched the competition yet but hopefully I can catch a re-run.

Guest mia1981

but that applies to most people

for example, miss korea this year:

honey4.jpg vs. honey3.jpg

yea makeup does do wonders..

give the girl a break. you can't be photogenic everyday.

why use bad photos to try to prove something?

Guest darkmagii

Miss Korea is the hottest and there's no doubt about it! she should've won the Crown if her translator wasn't mentally retarded...

Guest mia1981

Miss Korea is the hottest and there's no doubt about it! she should've won the Crown if her translator wasn't mentally retarded...

that translator couldn't understand korean, and couldn't speak english.

if honey lee was able to say what she wanted to say in english, she would be holding that crown right now.

Guest xSnubbleyx

dude she lived where i live ( Victoria BC Canada, small island ) for a year :)haha my friends went to school with herrr.

she had a nosejob no?

i think last year's japanese representative was much prettier!<3

Guest weiowu12

i dunno if this was asked/answered already..but how come miss japan used a translator? she was educated in canada...

Guest SilenceAngel

i dunno if this was asked/answered already..but how come miss japan used a translator? she was educated in canada...

It is easier for her to speak the language she is most fluent in, Japanese, to get her message through smoothly. She studied in Canada for one or two years. You can tell she knows English ( She was on REgis and Kelly, and the Today Show earlier), but not at a degree where she can say what she wanted to say 90%.

Miss Universe is a big pagent therefore you don't want to risk making a mistake by saying the "wrong" word or stutter around. It makes one looks uneducated and not very confidence.

I also thought Miss Japan wasn't that pretty but after looking at those new pictures posted from Back Pages

YAy.... she's pretty and her beauty is so natural..

Congrats to Miss Japan for winning the Miss Universe crown!!!

I didn't saw that clip when the crown fell from her head...where can I see it? I wanna see it too..

--Even before the pageant started I've read so many things about Honey Lee and she actually did great during the pageant. Her confidence was with her.and HEr smiles showed it. I'm sk happy she made it through the top 5!!!

Guest swwtdreamz

I think Miss Japan deserved to win because she has such great confidence and poise. She was one of the few contestants in pageants that didn't give a generic pageant answer during question time. She showed at least some intelligence. I think she would make a great role model for many young girls.

Guest n-jjang

Congrats to Ms. Japan.. i thought Korea would win though >_<

the picture when Ms Universe 2006 dropped the crown makes me laugh.. did she accidentally drop it or..? LOL..

Guest VindictusDame

AMEN. And thank YOU! I thought it was incredibly rude as well. Miss USA handled the situation very well and carried on like nothing happened. I really admire her for that. I could tell her voice trembling slightly as she answered her question.... but I think she nailed it. She's smart, sophisticated, and tough. She was graceful and composed throughout the show's entirely. I'm proud to call myself an American after watching her.

I'm not gonna be biased here just because this is soompi. I'm not surprised that Miss Korea didn't win. The answer she gave to the judge's question was really bad. If she could have any type of superpower it would a wallet that's never empty? :blink: Money? Sure she said she was gonna carry out missionary work and all... but that last sentence just tainted the whole thing. Too bad. She's a gorgeous girl.

hmm well i dont think miss korea answer was bad. i actually thought it was UNIQUE lol!! seriously! that was what i thought! hahazz.... it would be boring if she gives a typical miss universe answer.... i think miss usa answer was too cliche, too miss universe style of answer... i prefer those who dare to give a weird, unique answer... but still answers the question given. i don't know.. thats just my opinion. hehe...

Guest mia1981

hmm well i dont think miss korea answer was bad. i actually thought it was UNIQUE lol!! seriously! that was what i thought! hahazz.... it would be boring if she gives a typical miss universe answer.... i think miss usa answer was too cliche, too miss universe style of answer... i prefer those who dare to give a weird, unique answer... but still answers the question given. i don't know.. thats just my opinion. hehe...

miss korea's answer was not bad. the translator messed it up for her.

she said she wants to do missionary (christian)

and if she had the superpower, she would use all of her powers, all of her talent to use it for others to GIVE THEM HAPPINESS.

the money part... she didn't mention money until later, but the translator just included "money" before she even mentioned it.

miss korea said... "and..it wouldn't be too bad to have a wallet that never dries up, right?" it was in a cute way, but of course, it sounded all wrong when the lady did the translation.

i think that was a smart answer for honey lee.

she should have the crown by now... if that translator didn't get in her way

Archived