the age of shadows is absolutely epic movie and i am very happy for our star gong yoo

he work very hard in the last 3 years and he is now in the top i hope goblin will be hit too 

im gong yoo fan and im proud :heart:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lkgy99 said:

the age of shadows is absolutely epic movie and i am very happy for our star gong yoo

he work very hard in the last 3 years and he is now in the top i hope goblin will be hit too 

im gong yoo fan and im proud :heart:

Me too i'm soo proud of him every year passes he becomes so talented and deep in his emotions and even k netizen say this year is Gong yoo year and most of comments are positive:wub::wub:

Really i wish his drama 'll be hit too i'm a little worry but i trust him :blush:

• Like 2

Korean Zombie Hit 'Train to Busan' Wins Top Prizes at Fantasia Film Fest

train_to_busan_h_2016.jpg

'Train to Busan'

The wins come as the South Korea zombie pic breaks box-office records at home and is pursued by major studios for remake rights.
South Korea's first zombie blockbuster, Train to Busan, has won the Cheval Noir trophy for best feature and the audience award for best Asian feature at the Fantasia International Film Festival, which wrapped Wednesday in Montreal.

Yeon Sang-ho's live-action directorial debut picked up the prizes amid a bidding war for the pic's remake rights, with Fox, Sony and several European studios competing for the property.

Fantasia co-director Mitch Davis told The Hollywood Reporter the film has created quite a buzz among buyers attending two sold-out screenings in Montreal. "When we heard Fox, Sony and others were circling the property for a potential remake, we were not surprised. It is a phenomenal piece of art," he said.

Train to Busan, which debuted at Cannes, set an all-time record for box office in South Korea when it opened July 22.

Other Fantasia award winners included Japanese horror maestro Kiyoshi Kurosawa taking the Cheval Noir prize for best director for Creepy, and the best screenplay trophy going to another South Korean director, E J-Yong, for The Bacchus Lady.

In the acting categories, Franko Dijak won the Cheval Noir for best actor for his star turn in Goran, while Youn Yuh-jung won best actress honors for her work in The Bacchus Lady. Elsewhere, Taika Waititi's Hunt for the Wilderpeople and Pascal Chaumeil's Un Petit Boulot shared the audience award for best film from Europe or the Americas and Daniel Grou's King Dave received the audience prize for best Canadian feature.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/korean-zombie-hit-train-busan-917277?utm_source=twitter

• Like 3

Zombies on a train, at full throttle

traintobusan

The South Korean horror extravaganza “Train to Busan” boils down to four words —– zombies on a train — and the movie wisely never tries to be anything more than that. You may think that’s not enough to sustain a two-hour feature. But writer-director Yeon Sang-ho, making his live-action debut after a number of animated features (“The King of Pigs,” “The Fake”), has seen the same films and TV shows you’ve seen — “28 Days Later,” “World War Z,” “The Walking Dead” — and he’s out to do something different with the genre. Zombies may not be fresh, but this movie has a ferocious, relentless energy that feels brand new.

Serious, too: This is brutal, bloody horror served straight-up, with no tongue-in-cheek gags to lighten the mood. A divorced businessman (Gong Yoo) takes the bullet train from Seoul to Busan with his young daughter (Kim Su-an) so she can spend her birthday with her mother. He’s so busy with work — he’s a fund manager — he hasn’t paid attention to alarming news reports about mass riots and other public disturbances that have been taking place around the city.

The audience, of course, knows something the characters don’t: A virus that brings the dead back to life is spreading quickly. Contamination is almost instant. The disease affects animals, too (here, in what is probably a cinematic first, you get a zombie deer). And these hungry zombies are not of the shuffle-and-stumble variety: These monsters run, fast.

“Train to Busan” hasn’t even hit the 30-minute mark when the train’s passengers (including a high school baseball team, two elderly sisters and a married couple with a baby on the way) find out about the epidemic firsthand. Mayhem breaks out so quickly, the contagion spreading through the train like a fire, that you wonder how the movie will manage to fill out two hours. But Yeon has a few surprises in store, and he keeps ramping up the tension at regular intervals. In the manner of the most enjoyable horror pictures, every time you think things can’t get worse, they do.

Starting with George A. Romero, the filmmaker who invented the flesh-eating monster genre with 1968’s “Night of the Living Dead,” zombie movies often double as social allegories for the era in which they are made. “Train to Busan” can be read as a commentary of the social and economic disparities in South Korea, a metaphor for the respiratory syndrome that afflicted the country in 2015 and a reflection of the culture’s ingrained customs and mores (unlike the living, these zombies are rude and insolent; they howl with rage and anger at their condition).

Yeon’s background as an animator can be felt in the shots of dead bodies coming back to life — the corpses jump and twitch in unnatural ways, as if they were being zapped with unholy electricity — and the makeup designs, which are frightening and gruesome without being repulsive. The violence is explicit but the movie isn’t a gross-out; the gore is restrained. The director comes up with a few new twists on the genre (these zombies can’t hear or smell you, so you’re safe if you stay out of their sight) and some clever reversals. What’s worse than an ordinary pack of zombies? An entire military unit of zombies.

Best of all, the story moves as fast as that bullet train, careening from one impossible predicament to the next while the characters jostle to survive. Not all of them will, of course: Zombie movies are known for their high body counts, and “Train to Busan” is no exception. This brisk, exciting and scary picture tells us that when the apocalypse comes, we’ll all be fighting on the same side. Too bad it takes a catastrophe to make us realize that.

http://www.miamiherald.com/entertainment/movies-news-reviews/article93667637.html

• Like 3

Fantasia 2016: TRAIN TO BUSAN Wins Audience And Jury Awards, Plus Many More Winners

Fantasia 2016: TRAIN TO BUSAN Wins Audience And Jury Awards, Plus Many More Winners

The 20th edition of the Fantasia International Film Festival came to a close last night. Team ScreenAnarchy bounced back and forth between the two theaters, the pub and whatever purveyor of caffeinated drinks was open at our times of need. You can read all about it, the highs and lows, find every review and interview we did this year, right here

Now that the festival is over for another year it is time to announce which films took home the hardware this year. Fantasia does a wonderful job of really spreading out the love but Yeon Sang-ho's Train to Busan took home both the Audience Award for Best Asian Feature and the Cheval Noir Award for Best Feature as awarded by the jury. Not bad at all. Ever since it bowed at the festival those still sticking around Montreal have been talking about it non-stop. Other Korean features The Wailing and The Bacchus Lady also go home with two awards. 
AWARDS OF THE 20TH EDITION

The Fantasia International Film Festival is proud to announce the names of the various award winners of its 20th edition. The festival's winners were selected by juries as well as festival’s audience.
CHEVAL NOIR
The jury, overseen by Aharon Keshales and Navot Papushado (directors) and composed of Cyril Despontin (Paris International Fantastic Film Festival), George Schmalz (Film Outreach Lead at Kickstarter), Justine Smith (critic), and Marcus Stiglegger (critic and researcher), selected the following winners:

Cheval Noir Award for Best Feature: TRAIN TO BUSAN by Yeon Sang-ho
Audience Award for Best Asian Feature

Gold – TRAIN TO BUSAN  (Dir: Yeon Sang-ho)
Silver – TOO YOUNG TO DIE (Dir: Kankuro Kudo)
Bronze – THE WAILING (Dir: Na Hong-jin)
http://screenanarchy.com/2016/08/fantasia-2016-train-to-busan-wins-an-audience-and-jury-awards-and-many-more-winners.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TwitchEverything+(TwitchFilm)
  • Like 1

Zombie Flick Set to Exceed 10 Million Viewers

The zombie flick "Train to Busan" is set to reach the 10 million viewer mark, having drawn 9.25 million moviegoers as of Wednesday.

Song Kang-ho (left) and Gong Yoo Song Kang-ho (left) and Gong Yoo

Actor Gong Yoo shared his feelings about achieving the milestone at a press event for his new film, "The Age of Shadows," directed by Kim Jee-woon, in Seoul on Thursday.

"I feel rather calm, as opposed to being excited, because I never expected it," he said.

It remains to be seen whether "The Age of Shadows" will also be a hit. The film, which co-stars Song Kang-ho, tells the story of a group of fighters resisting Japanese colonial rule in the 1930s.

The film will hit local theaters next month.

http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2016/08/05/2016080501268.html

• Like 2

Song Kang-ho, Gong Yoo and Han Ji-min in "The Age of Shadows"

photo753884.jpg

"The Age of Shadows" has been revealed.

Director Kim Jee-woon's "The Age of Shadows" starring Song Kang-ho and Gong Yoo is being anticipated as another 10 million viewer movie.

Song Kang-ho and director Kim are working on their fourth movie together. "The Age of Shadows" is based on the 1920s about anti-Japanese independence workers' plots and betrayals.

Warner Brothers from Hollywood is investing 1 billion won into producing and distributing the movie.

The movie stars Song Kang-ho, Gong Yoo, Han Ji-min, Sin Seong-rok, Eom Tae-goo and more. The movie has been officially invited to the 41st Toronto International Film Festival and the 73rd Venice International Film Festival.

"The Age of Shadows" had a premiere on the 4th in Apgujung and director Kim said, ""The Age of Shadows" is a spy action movie. Western movies are based in the Cold War but the Japanese Invasion was perfect for a Korean one".

"We put detail in the locations. We decided on Shanghai which has buildings old enough to create the atmosphere. We put differentiation in our movie through style and color of the overall movie".

photo753883.jpg

The movie feels somewhat like "The Assassination". Kim said, "I watched "The Last Princess" and noticed it had a similar feel to my movie. "The Age of Shadows" follows the inside of time. It also questions, 'Where would you live?' and 'In what history would you leave your name in?'"

Song Kang-ho takes on the role of Lee Jeong-chool, a Japanese turned Joseon cop. Lee Jeong-chool is a real existing character,

Song Kang-ho said, "It was hard to express the feelings of this character, but it was interesting at the same time".

In regards to collaborating with Director Kim, "It's been 8 years since we've worked together. We are like friends and brothers".

He continued, "I don't approach "The Age of Shadows" binary. I hope everyone thinks of the people who lived in those times when they watch the movie".

Gong Yoo takes on the role of Kim Woo-jin, the leader of the independence movement who approaches Lee Jeong-chool for information.

photo753882.jpg

His role is based on a real character named Kim Si-hyeon and he said, "I saw references about the movement against the Japanese. I put aside my personal feelings and concentrated on what a leader should be".

About working with Song Kang-ho, he said, "Song says I'm like a monster. The time gap made the speech difficult, which was tough for me, but I took after him when I saw him rehearse his lines on set".

Han Ji-min takes on the role of Yeon Gye-seon, a key member of the independence movement and assistant to Jeong Chae-san.

She said, "I really thought hard about my character because she is a pitiful one. I wondered if I could be a woman all by herself in an independence movement".

She works with other actors her age like Gong Yoo and Sin Seong-rok. "I am happy to have met good friends. Dramas don't give much time to mingle with each other, so this is the first time I actually talked to my fellow co-stars".

Sin Seong-ro plays Jo Hoi-ryeong, while Eom Tae-goo plays Hasimoto, a Japanese police officer.

http://www.hancinema.net/song-kang-ho-gong-yoo-and-han-ji-min-in-the-age-of-shadows-97431.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Like 4

'Train To Busan' Trailer, News: Korean Zombie Film Gets Top Prizes at Fantasia Film Fest, Expands Theatrical Reach[VIDEO]

'The 1st Shop of Coffee Prince' star Yoo Gong portrayed the role Seok Woo in a thriller movie "Trip To Busan.'

Korean thriller movie, "Train To Busan" bagged a lot of awards at Fantasia Film Fest. Its trailer will give a lot of reasons to moviegoers why it shouldn't be missed.

For those who love Korean movies and Kdramas, one of the cast members of "Trip To Busan," Yoo Gong, maybe familiar in your eyes, as he appeared on the TV series, "The 1st Shop of Coffee Prince." Now, his new movie will make you scare and paranoid.

"Train To Busan" was debuted at Cannes, and has been released in South Korea on July 22.The thriller flick  Cheval Noir trophy for best feature and the audience award for best Asian feature at the Fantasia International Film Festival, which was held on Wednesday, August 3, in Montrealm according toHollywood Reporter. 

Gong portrayed the role of Seok Woo, a workaholic businessman. He and his daughter Soo-ahn are boarding the KTX, traveling from Seoul to Busan as they will meet Soo-ahn's mother for the first time. In the trailer, it shows how the virus spreading as one by one, people on board has been infected and turned into zombies.

The thriller movie may remind you of "World War Z." The difference is, the chaos happens in train station, and the challenge of the survivors is to fight the zombies so they remain alive as they continue their journey to Busan. 

The Korean film has created a buzz online among attendees in Montreal. THS learned that Fox, Sony and some European studios are competing to win the remake rights. 

"When we heard Fox, Sony and others were circling the property for a potential remake, we were not surprised. It is a phenomenal piece of art," Fantasia co-director Mitch Davis said.  

Currently, "Trip To Busan" got a score of 96% on Rotten Tomatoes. Due to the positive feedback from critics, the zombie attack movie has expanded its theatrical reach, according to Coming Soon.

http://www.universityherald.com/articles/36487/20160807/train-to-busan-trailer-news-korean-zombie-film-gets-top-prizes-at-fantasia-film-fest-expands-theatrical-reach-video.htm

• Like 2

[HanCinema's Film Review] "Train to Busan"

photo753813.jpg

The first zombie to show up in "Train to Busan" comes from a rather unexpected place, and is creepy in a way zombies seldom are, although in retrospect the idea is so obvious it's a wonder no one thought of it sooner. That's the general prevading sentiment behind "Train to Busan". By cutting out the usual pointless worldbuilding and focusing on a small group of relatable characters in a disaster situation, writer/director Yeon Sang-ho creates an astonishingly powerful piece of film. "Train to Busan" is both thrilling in the traditional action blockbuster sense as well as thought-provoking in the "what would you do?" vein.

Seok-woo (played by Gong Yoo) is the everyman of the story, a well-paid yet emotionally distant father whose daughter Soo-an (played by Kim Soo-an) is in desperate need of closer attention. The question is, how? Initially Seok-woo thinks that the best way to be a father to Soo-an is simply by being a father to Soo-an- and no one else. But as the central zombie catastrophe in "Train to Busan" gets worse and worse, Seok-woo comes to realize that such selfish short-sighted attention is inherently inhuman.

Metaphorically, it's what separates us from the zombies. Think about it. While the zombies in "Train to Busan" are initially quite terrifying, it soon becomes clear that they have some very glaring, easily exploitable weaknesses. So why do so many characters in "Train to Busan", military personnel included, fall victim to the horde? Because they stick to the status quo. They don't adapt their thinking to the evolving situation. Single-mindedness is both the zombies' greatest strength and the humans' greatest weakness, because only one of these groups is designed to use that strategy effectively.

The thematic underpinning of "Train to Busan" is brilliant, and the special effects are no slouch either. Lacking any live action credits, writer/director Yeon Sang-ho excels in a quality too many mainstream film directors lack- an attention to immediate context. There's a big a focus here on using the inherently unrealistic nature of zombie design to enhance the fear rather than detract from it, coupled with showstopping visuals when they matter the absolute most.

The actors too, give real punch to the proceedings- literally, in the case of Ma Dong-seok, and metaphorically for everyone else. Observe how the characters in "Train to Busan" are mostly useless when acting self-interested, yet terrifyingly effective when acting in concert as part of a mutually supportive team. Self-sacrifice is honored as a virtue even when saving everyone obviously can and should be the first priority.

The contrast with "Seoul Station", the animated film from writer/director Yeon Sang-ho which inspired"Train to Busan", is equally marked and intriguing. Excellent individually, viewed together the two films are exceptional as two sides of the same coin- nihilism versus optimism, an exploration of what happens when the worst of humanity prevails versus the best. A ScreenX enhanced preview of "Seoul Station" plays once the credits for "Train to Busan" finish rolling- and I can only hope both movies reach the wider acclaim and audience they so richly deserve.

http://www.hancinema.net/hancinema-s-film-review-train-to-busan-97495.html

• Like 3

‘Train to Busan’ tops 10m viewers in local box office

restmb_jhidxmake.php?idx=5&simg=20160807

Apocalypse blockbuster movie “Train to Busan” has become the first Korean homegrown movie this year to draw more than 10 million viewers in Korea, data showed Sunday.

According to a Sunday report by a local daily newspaper Hankyoreh, the movie on Sunday attracted more than 200,000 moviegoers. 
Until Saturday, “Train to Busan” attracted some 9.82 million viewers, setting the highest-viewer record in 2016 held by “A Violent Prosecutor,” which was viewed by 9.7 million moviegoers in total, according to the Korean Film Council‘s data Sunday.

This came amid other domestic movies’ buoyance. Periodic war flick “Operation Chromite” starring Lee Jung-jae surpassed five million filmgoers Sunday, whereas “Last Princess” starring Son Ye-jin drew one million viewers Saturday.

“Train to Busan,” starring Gong Yoo, Don Lee and Jung Yu-mi, had gained nationwide recognition before the release on July 20, since the earlier screening at the Cannes Film Festival in May. 

http://www.kpopherald.com/view.php?ud=201608071808304429634_2

• Like 3