Toronto international film festival 2016

The Age of Shadows (Miljeong) Kim Jee woon, South Korea - North American Premiere
The latest from cutting-edge director Kim Jee woon is an epic-scale period thriller about a double agent sent to infiltrate a band of freedom fighters during the Japanese occupation of Korea in the 1920s. Starring Korean superstars Song Kang ho, Han Ji min, and Gong Yoo.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/07/26/toronto-film-festival-2016-lineup

And from what i understand "Age of Shadows" 'll be screened @ Venice International Film Festival:blush:

ab8b5cda81cb39dbf3895934d8160924aa1830d1

And the two stars Song Kang Ho and Gong Yoo may walk on the red carpect

i hope it's true now he's international actor not only hallyu star  :w00t::w00t::w00t:

http://tieba.baidu.com/p/4692105179

• Like 4

TRAIN TO BUSAN

(South-Korean director Sang-ho Yeon’s Train to Busan is a zombie movie, but has a lot more to offer than standard living dead tropes. The film is in limited release now.)

The least interesting part of Train to Busan, South-Korean director Sang-ho Yeon’s live-action directorial debut, a movie about zombies on a train, is the actual zombies. That’s not to say that there’s anything wrong with their realization, as they are frightening and deadly enough, and certainly pose an existential threat to the ever-diminishing number of surviving humans. But at this point in cinematic history, after decades of zombies on screens of all sizes, how much innovation can we expect in the undead universe? There are a few attempts at novelty here and there, where we learn what these particular creatures can and cannot do, but still, no wheels are reinvented. And yet Train to Busan is still a solid action thriller, thanks to a strong cast and a well-structured script that takes its time introducing us to the situation and the characters. If the stakes are meaningful, it’s because of the people, and not the monsters. Each death counts.

This is not Yeon’s first stab at the zombie genre. Until now a director of several animated features, he releasedSeoul Stationwhich has a similar premise to his latest film, earlier this year. Though I cannot comment on that movie, I find his live-action mise-en-scène and direction of actors, here, very impressive. Little by little, we are drawn into the particular details of his protagonists’ lives, and when they each start to fall, we feel their loss. I am also in awe of the many ways in which he keeps the action interesting inside of the claustrophobic environment of a train compartment. Perhaps – who knows? – that’s a Korean specialty, given the masterful way Joon-ho Bong handled a similar set-up in Snowpiercer. Since this specific train is not dressed up to fit into the post-apocalyptic design of Bong’s film, what Yeon achieves in a much more pedestrian space deserves even more credit. It’s fast-paced, adrenaline-fueled action at its best.

4-28_busan_bound_1.jpg

The movie begins, after a chilling prelude in which we learn of a toxic leak that may or may not be about to spread something awful, in Seoul, in the office, and then home, of hedge-fund manager Seok-woo (an excellent Yoo Gong), a thirty-something divorcé who wants sole custody of his young daughter, Su-an. A distracted father, he fails miserably at finding Su-an an interesting birthday present, and when she confesses that all she wants to do is see her mother, he reluctantly agrees to accompany her to Busan. Just as their train is about to depart, a desperate, bleeding woman stumbles on board, unseen by the conductors, fleeing an attack of some sort. Su-an (a cute Su-an Kim) is the only one to see the platform overrun by zombies as the train pulls away. Soon, however, thanks to our injured friend, the virus will spread on the train, and in the confined spaces, there’s no place to flee.

By the time the film is done, we have witnessed a lot of death and destruction, par for the course for this kind of genre. None of it feels gratuitous, however, as the director uses the situation as a way to tell a story about selflessness vs selfishness, rather than as an excuse to indulge in graphic violence. Sure, there’s blood – it’s a zombie movie, after all – and more than one train crash, but in an era often defined by the triumph of CGI over character, it’s a joy (despite the tragic story) to spend time in a universe populated by real people facing real danger.

http://www.hammertonail.com/reviews/train-to-busan-review/

• Like 2

Zombie Caper Breaks Box-Office Records

photo749753.jpg

The zombie flick "Train to Busan" has achieved the 5 million viewer mark in record time, the distributor said Sunday.

The film racked up its 5 millionth viewer on Sunday afternoon, only five days after its release and one day earlier than previous record holder "The Admiral: Roaring Currents".

http://www.hancinema.net/zombie-caper-breaks-box-office-records-97095.html

• Like 3

11 hours ago, princess nour90 said:

TRAIN TO BUSAN

(South-Korean director Sang-ho Yeon’s Train to Busan is a zombie movie, but has a lot more to offer than standard living dead tropes. The film is in limited release now.)

The least interesting part of Train to Busan, South-Korean director Sang-ho Yeon’s live-action directorial debut, a movie about zombies on a train, is the actual zombies. That’s not to say that there’s anything wrong with their realization, as they are frightening and deadly enough, and certainly pose an existential threat to the ever-diminishing number of surviving humans. But at this point in cinematic history, after decades of zombies on screens of all sizes, how much innovation can we expect in the undead universe? There are a few attempts at novelty here and there, where we learn what these particular creatures can and cannot do, but still, no wheels are reinvented. And yet Train to Busan is still a solid action thriller, thanks to a strong cast and a well-structured script that takes its time introducing us to the situation and the characters. If the stakes are meaningful, it’s because of the people, and not the monsters. Each death counts.

This is not Yeon’s first stab at the zombie genre. Until now a director of several animated features, he releasedSeoul Stationwhich has a similar premise to his latest film, earlier this year. Though I cannot comment on that movie, I find his live-action mise-en-scène and direction of actors, here, very impressive. Little by little, we are drawn into the particular details of his protagonists’ lives, and when they each start to fall, we feel their loss. I am also in awe of the many ways in which he keeps the action interesting inside of the claustrophobic environment of a train compartment. Perhaps – who knows? – that’s a Korean specialty, given the masterful way Joon-ho Bong handled a similar set-up in Snowpiercer. Since this specific train is not dressed up to fit into the post-apocalyptic design of Bong’s film, what Yeon achieves in a much more pedestrian space deserves even more credit. It’s fast-paced, adrenaline-fueled action at its best.

4-28_busan_bound_1.jpg

The movie begins, after a chilling prelude in which we learn of a toxic leak that may or may not be about to spread something awful, in Seoul, in the office, and then home, of hedge-fund manager Seok-woo (an excellent Yoo Gong), a thirty-something divorcé who wants sole custody of his young daughter, Su-an. A distracted father, he fails miserably at finding Su-an an interesting birthday present, and when she confesses that all she wants to do is see her mother, he reluctantly agrees to accompany her to Busan. Just as their train is about to depart, a desperate, bleeding woman stumbles on board, unseen by the conductors, fleeing an attack of some sort. Su-an (a cute Su-an Kim) is the only one to see the platform overrun by zombies as the train pulls away. Soon, however, thanks to our injured friend, the virus will spread on the train, and in the confined spaces, there’s no place to flee.

By the time the film is done, we have witnessed a lot of death and destruction, par for the course for this kind of genre. None of it feels gratuitous, however, as the director uses the situation as a way to tell a story about selflessness vs selfishness, rather than as an excuse to indulge in graphic violence. Sure, there’s blood – it’s a zombie movie, after all – and more than one train crash, but in an era often defined by the triumph of CGI over character, it’s a joy (despite the tragic story) to spend time in a universe populated by real people facing real danger.

http://www.hammertonail.com/reviews/train-to-busan-review/

Well said, bravo absolutely! .......Sooooo excited about the interesting reviews out there....Good work FIGHTING! !

• Like 2

@lkgy99....waooo, thank you so much for the  July 2016 - Marie Claire interview. ....

A beautiful insight into a guy who works really really hard......a guy who, hardly takes time out to chill (or rather prefers to work), enjoys going home to the cat and exercises hard as a form of therapeutic response to balancing his life.....a guy who does not have SNS (because a lot of things can be distorted in different ways), and loves NBA basketball. ...OMG!!

GY stated that he found acting (at times) painful, which saddens me because they can truly be so hard on themselves right. So, how can we as non-actors know this pain when it is human nature for eveyone to have high expectations and try so hard to achieve great things, and yet never be satisfied or even fail......it is hard yet I think for actors and actresses,  because they are performing and choosing different masks it is perhaps daunting for them because its way out of their comfort zone or norm....and the public views of fans can be so harsh and so amazing at the same time.....

All I have to say is, GONG YOO, thank you for your great work and for staying healthy and happy in your mind, body and soul. All the ladies in the house continue to adore your craft and support your goals and efforts,  Bravo absolutely! Looking forward to seeing these fantastic movies, kahmsamnida GY FIGHTING! !!

• Like 2

7 Actors Who Found Stardom After The Same Series

Gong Yoo made his acting debut in “School 4” in 2001, nearly a decade before the season with Kim Woo Bin and Lee Jong Suk. His character was both a piano-playing singer and a smooth-talking student with killer pickup lines. Afterwards, he played the main role in the 2007 drama “Coffee Prince” and is starring in the current box office hit “Train To Busan.”

Back then:

gong yoo school

Now:

gong yoo

http://www.soompi.com/2016/07/26/7-actors-found-stardom-series/

• Like 3

5 hours ago, princess nour90 said:

Toronto international film festival 2016

The Age of Shadows (Miljeong) Kim Jee woon, South Korea - North American Premiere
The latest from cutting-edge director Kim Jee woon is an epic-scale period thriller about a double agent sent to infiltrate a band of freedom fighters during the Japanese occupation of Korea in the 1920s. Starring Korean superstars Song Kang ho, Han Ji min, and Gong Yoo.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/07/26/toronto-film-festival-2016-lineup

And from what i understand "Age of Shadows" 'll be screened @ Venice International Film Festival:blush:

ab8b5cda81cb39dbf3895934d8160924aa1830d1

And the two stars Song Kang Ho and Gong Yoo may walk on the red carpect

i hope it's true now he's international actor not only hallyu star  :w00t::w00t::w00t:

http://tieba.baidu.com/p/4692105179

wow another international red carpet of Gong Yoo. I hope he will go there, imagining Gong Yoo stands alongside Song Kang Ho on that event make me thrilled, two amazing stars!! JUST WOW!! :w00t::w00t::w00t:

• Like 2

1469588708.jpg
Jul 27, 2016
(From Left) The Handmaiden, The Age of Shadows and Asura

Three South Korean films, including one by the acclaimed director Park Chan-wook, have been invited to the prestigious Toronto International Film Festival, the event's website showed Wednesday. 

Park's latest work, "The Handmaiden," will be shown under the Special Presentations category at the 41st edition of the festival along with "Asura: The City of Madness," directed by Kim Sung-soo, and "The Age of Shadows," directed by Kim Jee-woon. 

The festival is one of the world's most prestigious film events together with its counterparts at Cannes, Berlin and Venice. This year, it is slated to run from Sept. 8-18. 

The Special Presentations category introduces new works by famous directors or actors based on their artistic and commercial value. 

"The Handmaiden" is a highly erotic film centered on the lesbian relationship between a servant and her master, while "Asura: The City of Madness" is a crime drama and "The Age of Shadows" a period thriller set in the 1920s when Korea was under Japanese colonial rule. 

Other South Korean films that have been invited to the festival in the past include the 2009 crime drama "Mother" and the 2010 thriller "I Saw the Devil." 

kingkingma 
Source:Yonhap News

http://m.kenterin.net/article/13809e

• Like 3

7 hours ago, upila94 said:

wow another international red carpet of Gong Yoo. I hope he will go there, imagining Gong Yoo stands alongside Song Kang Ho on that event make me thrilled, two amazing stars!! JUST WOW!! :w00t::w00t::w00t:

i'm happy that TIFF is confirmed now i'm waiting for Venice international film festival confirmation and it's great honor for GY to walk on the red carpet alongside Song kang ho and director Kim Jee Woon :wub:

And this 'll be the year of festivals for GY first Cannes now Toronto and Venice festival :lol::D

• Like 2

‘The Age of Shadows’ invited to Toronto International Film Festival

restmb_jhidxmake.php?idx=5&simg=20160727

“The Age of Shadows” by director Kim Ji-won has been invited to screen under the Special Presentations program at the 41st annual Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF).

“The Age of Shadows” follows members of an independence group in the 1920s as they fight for Korea’s liberation from Japanese colonial rule.

In addition to the historical thriller, Park Chan-wook’s globally-acclaimed production “The Handmaiden” and Kim Sung-soo’s “Asura: The City of Madness” have also been invited to the Special Presentations category, which presents “high-profile premieres and the world’s leading filmmakers,” according to TIFF’s official website. 

Taking place Sept. 8-18, TIFF will mark its opening night with the world premiere of “The Magnificent Seven,” directed by American filmmaker Antoine Fuqua, and conclude with Kelly Fremon Craig’s “The Edge of Seventeen.”

Starring actors Gong Yoo from the record-breaking blockbuster “Train to Busan” and Song Kang-ho from the award-winning 2013 film “Snowpiercer,” “The Age of Shadows” is set to open in local theaters in September.

http://www.kpopherald.com/view.php?ud=201607271636257145707_2

• Like 4

[Photo] Added 5-person poster for the upcoming Korean movie "The Age of Shadows"

photo751062.jpg

Added 5-person poster for the upcoming Korean movie "The Age of Shadows" (2015)

Directed by Kim Jee-woon

With Song Kang-ho, Gong Yoo, Han Ji-min, Eom Tae-goo, Park Hee-soon, Seo Yeong-joo-I,...

Formerly known as "Secret Agent"
Crank in : 2015/10/22
Crank up : 2016/03/31
Synopsis
Based on the history of Organization of Righteous Bravery, a part of the armed independence movement during Korea under Janpanese rule.

Release date in Korea : 2016/09

http://www.hancinema.net/photo-added-5-person-poster-for-the-upcoming-korean-movie-the-age-of-shadows-97182.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Gong Yoo shares thoughts on ‘Train to Busan’

Actor Gong Yoo shared his thoughts on filming the zombie apocalypse film “Train to Busan,” in recent interviews with local media.

(Soop Management)

Gong plays the lead role of Seok-woo, the father of Soo-an, who goes by the same name as the actress who plays the role.

Seok-woo initially seems quite estranged from his daughter although he deeply cares for her. To portray his character, Gong says that he intentionally acted aloof around the child actress.

“All the crew loved Soo-an. They would tell Soo-an that she is very cute and jokingly compete on who among them Soo-an likes the best. I wanted to join in, but I acted a little less friendly to Soo-an on purpose to better portray the role of a taciturn father when filming the movie. Soo-an understood my intentions. She is very flexible and smart,” Gong said.

Gong said one of the difficulties he faced was that it was hard to portray the emotions of a parent, as Gong does not have any children in real life.

“There is a scene in the movie in which Seok-woo holds his newborn child and is overcome with happiness,” said the actor.

Gong said that he had to take reference from the experience of his friend, actor Lee Chun-hee. “Lee Cheon-hee told me he cried when he first held his baby, so I drew on what he told me,” said Gong. “It was more overwhelming because the staff had me carry an actual baby instead of a doll,” he recalled.

Gong also talked about the heat that he and the film crew had to endure while filming the movie. “It was really hot. ... Everyone would place ice packs on their shoulders as soon as the director hollered, ‘Cut!’”

Gong explained that the emotions he had to portray were very multi-dimensional and complex. “Seok-woo feels sad and angry, but cannot shed tears. It is a very heavy feeling.”
By Lee Ji-hae (jihlee@heraldcorp.com)

http://kpopherald.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=201607281451421565086_2

• Like 3

Venice film festival 2016: full line-up

All of the films appearing at the 2016 Venice film festival. This list will be updated as more titles are announced

Out of competition - fiction
Advertisement

The Age of Shadows - Kim Jee woon (South Korea)

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/jul/28/venice-film-festival-2016-full-line-up

• Like 3