Soompi Mac User Group

j79

Guest trungiie

I've had my mbp for a year now and haven't found time machine to be necessary, so I was wondering if there's a way to delete the backup and start new?

Also, everything seems to be starting up more slowly now. When the apple icon pops up the circle of death keeps spinning for a good 20-30 seconds, and it takes 20 seconds on average for programs to load before other processes delag. I've already removed all startup items as well.

lol ive only had mine for about a week and ive noticed that it doesnt start up as quickly as it did before. now it takes a good 30 seconds to start up as before it took like 10.... :blink:

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got my white 13" macbook a few days ago and I love it. It's kind of hard to use since I've been using Windows all my life, but I'll get used to it.

Anyway, I was clicking around earlier and I saw this thing that said "shared" and someone's files (?) I guess since I'm on a wireless connection. Can people see my files?

If so, how do I make it so that they can't?

Thanks~

i'm a new mac user too,

and i must say, i'm in love with this thing.

i have a dilemma with connecting to the internet though:

there are two computers in our house, a pc and my macbook.

i want to connect both to the internet, but i'm not sure how :<

we have a modem thingy and airport express.

my pc has no wireless right now, so it has to be directly connected to the modem,

but now i can't find a way to connect the modem to the airport express so i can connect to the internet on my macbook :<

would a hub be best?

if anyone can help, that'd be awesome!

i'm a new mac user too,

and i must say, i'm in love with this thing.

i have a dilemma with connecting to the internet though:

there are two computers in our house, a pc and my macbook.

i want to connect both to the internet, but i'm not sure how :<

we have a modem thingy and airport express.

my pc has no wireless right now, so it has to be directly connected to the modem,

but now i can't find a way to connect the modem to the airport express so i can connect to the internet on my macbook :<

would a hub be best?

if anyone can help, that'd be awesome!

Does your cable/DSL modem have any 10/100BASE-T Ethernet port in the back of it? If so, you can just plug your PC into one of those, and plug the modem into the one 10/100BASE-T Ethernet port on the Airport Express. You will need to use the Airport Utility to set up your Airport. Once you do that (has an easy set up with it) your Mac will remember your "home" network and will connect to it automatically. If you're going to expand to more computers it might be best to get the Airport Extreme instead. Congrats on your new MAC!

I just got my white 13" macbook a few days ago and I love it. It's kind of hard to use since I've been using Windows all my life, but I'll get used to it.

Anyway, I was clicking around earlier and I saw this thing that said "shared" and someone's files (?) I guess since I'm on a wireless connection. Can people see my files?

If so, how do I make it so that they can't?

Thanks~

If you have a SECURE wireless network set up (meaning requires a password), than only people that have access to the same network will see anything, and only in the "Shared" or "Public" folders. You can set additional sharing to individual folders as well by either right clicking, or command+i to Get Info. Check the box marked "Shared Folder" and at the bottom you can see "Sharing & Permissions" where you can choose the levels and privileges.

Guest <yiboy>

lol ive only had mine for about a week and ive noticed that it doesnt start up as quickly as it did before. now it takes a good 30 seconds to start up as before it took like 10.... :blink:

I'm not really sure about the whole mechanics behind why it does that, but I do know it does.

You'll slowly find that your laptop will take longer and longer to start up/shut down after awhile. Something to do with the hard drive, I believe. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but i'm pretty sure it's the HD.

I've upgraded my HD a couple of times on my macbook and each time I did, it felt like getting a new laptop. Turning it on/off happened extremely quickly.

^What do you mean by "upgraded"? Do you mean that you got a new HD and installed it (which is something I'd like to do but don't know how to because I know nothing about computer set-up) or you formatted it so it's "like" a new HD?

Guest Xarthan

yeah a HD upgrade to ur macbook or pro is the best investment that I know of, other than RAM upgrade.

I got another 320gb HD and swaped it into my 17 macbook pro. lottttttts of space, but still not enough for video work :( (WTB 1TB 2.5" HD!)

Guest strawberrynkiwi

I am a new Mac owner. :)

Ultra happy about it, but I am not a great fan of MSN Messenger on Mac. Does anyone know of a better alternative?

Still trying to get use to all the short cuts...

Guest <yiboy>

^What do you mean by "upgraded"? Do you mean that you got a new HD and installed it (which is something I'd like to do but don't know how to because I know nothing about computer set-up) or you formatted it so it's "like" a new HD?

Yeah, i meant upgraded as in I got a new one and installed it. All you really need is one of those small "cross" screwdrivers(forgot name :P) and a torx t8 screwdriver (which you can buy online for like 3-4 bucks).

I think if you google how to install an HD for mac. There are a couple of good walkthroughs that you can use.

It's actually a very simple, uncomplicated process. The only part that always gets me is putting back on the stupid metal elbow which has the padding cushioning the ram sticks. lol

yeah a HD upgrade to ur macbook or pro is the best investment that I know of, other than RAM upgrade.

I got another 320gb HD and swaped it into my 17 macbook pro. lottttttts of space, but still not enough for video work :( (WTB 1TB 2.5" HD!)

1TB 2.5" ??!!! hahaha. that's so INSANE. Ok, maybe i'm exaggerating but still. Even a couple of years ago to think that laptops would be capable of 1TB HDs...

Plus, if that fails on you....guess you'll need at least another 1tb external to back it up.

It'd be really nice to have a 1tb though... :blush:

Guest Xarthan

I am a new Mac owner. :)

Ultra happy about it, but I am not a great fan of MSN Messenger on Mac. Does anyone know of a better alternative?

Still trying to get use to all the short cuts...

Adium :)

^I think if you installed Bonjour on your Windows, you should be able to connect to Airport Express wirelessly.

the thing is that my windows/desktop can't connect wirelessly. but i'll try installing bonjour and see how it goes!

Does your cable/DSL modem have any 10/100BASE-T Ethernet port in the back of it? If so, you can just plug your PC into one of those, and plug the modem into the one 10/100BASE-T Ethernet port on the Airport Express. You will need to use the Airport Utility to set up your Airport. Once you do that (has an easy set up with it) your Mac will remember your "home" network and will connect to it automatically. If you're going to expand to more computers it might be best to get the Airport Extreme instead. Congrats on your new MAC!

i believe it does, but it only has one ethernet port so i'd either have to connect the pc OR airport express to it. (unless i misunderstood what you wrote there :<)

and thank you! i love love love my mac <3

if bonjour doesn't work, should i get a wireless card or wireless usb adaptor for my desktop, then connect the desktop + macbook to airport express?

Are there any good video players for Mac out there that can continue playing items in a playlist? MPlayer does not do that and it does not have settings for it either. It's driving me crazy >_<

the thing is that my windows/desktop can't connect wirelessly. but i'll try installing bonjour and see how it goes!

i believe it does, but it only has one ethernet port so i'd either have to connect the pc OR airport express to it. (unless i misunderstood what you wrote there :<)

and thank you! i love love love my mac <3

if bonjour doesn't work, should i get a wireless card or wireless usb adaptor for my desktop, then connect the desktop + macbook to airport express?

Get a wireless NIC card for your PC...and Bonjour is not something you install or is a network protocol. Wireless runs at wifi 802.1x

i think i'll bet getting a macbook pro soon, but just wondering...

does anyone here use Parallels on their macs? and how do you like it?

for those don't know what it is...

it's a software that allows you to run windows on a mac

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallels_Desktop_for_Mac

I've found Parallels to work fine for any MS software with the exception of graphics intensive games because i'm on a Macbook Pro.

i use VLC player and the playlist function works great. the only bad thing is if you are watching things with subtitle attachment cause they stay in the stock player fonts.

You can change what fonts are displayed if the default ones don't look good.

Archived