Soompi Mac User Group

j79

Guest erure

I know that you don't really need anti-virus software, but I guess my experiences while using PC has made me sort of unwilling to change -- I ended up getting a Norton Anti-virus for my Mac, but it doesn't really seem to help that much.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest j00n

I've noticed a lot of crashing and instablity on my new Macbook Pro. Typically, Adobe CS3, or Office 2008 will crash it but sometimes iTunes or Quicktime as well. More than a few times when i've opened it up and it's been in sleep mode it won't wake. This has probably the most problems i've ever had a Mac since i first got the IIgs.

Guest erure

^For me, the only program that crashes a lot is Safari... And this one time, something weird happened with my bluetooth while I was using vmware fusion and it said that bluetooth is not available -- a restart fixed it but still.

Guest Millou

^ If you take out the battery while using the computer and if someone trips over your power cord, wouldn't the power be blown like a candle ? :( With the magsafe, sometimes I accidently plug it out without knowing.

hmmm...never thought about that. But i don't if it's my magsafe, but someone tripped over my power cord two days ago and my MPB almost fell on the floor :crazy: I nearly got a heartattack...

^For me, the only program that crashes a lot is Safari... And this one time, something weird happened with my bluetooth while I was using vmware fusion and it said that bluetooth is not available -- a restart fixed it but still.

You should use Firefox, my imac crashed alot when i used Safari, but when i changed to Firefox i don't have that problem anymore...

Guest MUGETSU

Does iTunes convert FLAC files directly into ALAC?

Or do I need to download a program that changes it into ALAC?

Anyone know a good one? Thanks.

Guest Cotton Canvas

Recently my Macbook Leopard 10.5.3 has had its fan running on overdrive lately. I used to be able to resolve its heating problem by just powering off and letting it cool (instead of standby) but it usually runs its fan within an hour or so. Plus on top of that, whenever I run videos for a prolonged period of time, the video starts to skip. I believe that its the GPU unable to keep up with what I'm demanding.

I also ran VMware to play a windows game and allowed for a GPU integration so that that partition would be able to use my GPU on my mac but sadly, it once again slows and skips the game (mmofps). I was wondering if I just booted one OS at a time instead of using two, would that be a solution? If anyone has any idea let me know please! ^__^

Guest colloquy

Cotton Canvas, with your first problem, I use smcFanControl to make my computer cooler whenever its getting too hot. Hopefully this helps.

And sarahx3, there's a rumor that a newly designed Macbook/macbook Pro may be coming out.

What is your favorite mac program, either part of the OSX or a third party software? My favorite has to be stacks. It has revolutionized the way I work. It is absolutely amazing.

Parallels desktop would have been first, but at some point I realized that I really don't use Windows XP for anything besides school, and even then I already have found programs on the Mac that can do the work for me. <--- Lazzzzzzy.

Guest musicismylifey

Hi :)

I've never owned a MAC before,

but I've always wanted one.

I used MACs in elementary school,

and they had awesome colors. :D

I'm going to buy one when I go to college.

[i'm almost a sophomore..in high school.]

:D

What is the difference between a MacBook and MacBook Pro?

Does the MacBook Pro come in Apple White?

I want opinions please. :D

I checked out the apple site. :D

Hi :)

I've never owned a MAC before,

but I've always wanted one.

I used MACs in elementary school,

and they had awesome colors. :D

I'm going to buy one when I go to college.

[i'm almost a sophomore..in high school.]

:D

What is the difference between a MacBook and MacBook Pro?

Does the MacBook Pro come in Apple White?

I want opinions please. :D

I checked out the apple site. :D

Besides aesthetics, one of the biggest differences between the MacBook and MacBook Pro are their graphics cards. MacBooks utilize Shared Integrated Video (Intel GMA X3100) whereas the MacBook Pro has a dedicated video card. Higher end software will sometimes require the higher end graphics cards to run (for instance, Apple's Final Cut Studio...)

Also, it's becoming more popular for the OS to use the graphics card to render things (for better performance)

Depends on what you're looking to do in school/life :D

Trungy, my favorite is, without a doubt, Screen Sharing - I know it's basically VCN, but the fact that it's built in and works perfectly, makes it great. I use it everyday!

Third party, I LOVE BBEdit.

Guest musicismylifey

^The MacBook Pro only comes in silver, while the MacBook comes in black and white :)

Ahh...I see. So I'd go with the MacBook because I want it to match my Ipod. :D

Besides aesthetics, one of the biggest differences between the MacBook and MacBook Pro are their graphics cards. MacBooks utilize Shared Integrated Video (Intel GMA X3100) whereas the MacBook Pro has a dedicated video card. Higher end software will sometimes require the higher end graphics cards to run (for instance, Apple's Final Cut Studio...)

Also, it's becoming more popular for the OS to use the graphics card to render things (for better performance)

Depends on what you're looking to do in school/life :D

Is it possible to upgrade the Graphic Card?

I know that you can upgrade the Hard Drive and the RAM...

Guest Sanochi

OMGahh I've only had my MacBook for about 2 weeks and you know what I found! A godamn scratch on it! :angry: The scratch is on the batteries so I might be able to get it change for a new one, but the question is can I? ...yes, no?

Guest ebae89

i was wondering, can i get the student discount if i'm a high school senior?

i'm going to a community college first but i have the application confirmation paper...

is it still o.k. to get the discount?

just bring my school id card? (high school one)

Guest x byul satang

i was wondering, can i get the student discount if i'm a high school senior?

i'm going to a community college first but i have the application confirmation paper...

is it still o.k. to get the discount?

just bring my school id card? (high school one)

somebody correct me if i'm mistaken, but i think you need to be a college student to get discount? so i don't think your high school id card will work. you can show them any proof that you are enrolled in community college and still probably get the discount. when i got my discount, i didn't have any id card or anything from my college. i just showed them a flyer about laptops that my school sent me and they gave me the discount (:

i am a future macbook user :)

can't wait!! :D

but is there a plan to buy a mac?? like i can pay monthly??

cuz i can't afford to buy it all at once...

youknow?

and i heard you get a free printer and ipod.. is that true?

how would they know you're a college student?

cuz i'm going to "try" to get it right when i graduate from high school.. so is it possible to get student discount?

like i said before, just show them any proof that you are a college student, like an acceptance letter.

when i bought my macbook, i got a free ipod nano. i think there was also some free printer deal too. it's either one or the other, i'm pretty sure.

anyway.. it's been about a year since i've had my 13" white macbook! and i am still sooo in love with it. but a month ago, it just stopped working O.O... literally, it was just sitting on my desk and i'm sitting on my bed away from my computer. and all of a sudden, it made a weird noise and the screen went white. i tried everything, even using the disk utility thingy or whatever, but nothing worked so i had to get my hard drive fixed and i had to get everything erased! =(

i'm thinking about getting leopard maybe? is it worth it? i want it because i really want to be able to run windows on my mac.. anyone have anymore info on that?

Guest erure

I think I may be getting an iMac soon -- yay! Finally! But should I get the wireless keyboard or the wired keyboard? I already have a wireless keyboard for my MBP and it works great but the little plug that keeps the batteries in falls out a lot, so I'm thinking about getting the wired keyboard... But then again, I don't want my desk to look messy with wires... Does anyone have any advice based on personal experience? Thank you :D

Guest Xarthan

I think I may be getting an iMac soon -- yay! Finally! But should I get the wireless keyboard or the wired keyboard? I already have a wireless keyboard for my MBP and it works great but the little plug that keeps the batteries in falls out a lot, so I'm thinking about getting the wired keyboard... But then again, I don't want my desk to look messy with wires... Does anyone have any advice based on personal experience? Thank you :D

wireless, cauz it looks so damn awesome.

Archived