Soompi Mac User Group

j79

Guest erure

what happens when you hook it up to another mac or pc computer? Is it formatted NTFS or Mac Journaled?

I think it's Mac Journaled... I formatted it on Mac before I started using it and it was working fine up until a couple of days ago. Gah I hate Western Digital SO MUCH now.

Also, I am thinking about getting AirPort Express or AirPort Extreme. I really don't know the difference between the two - is the AirPort Extreme really worth the additional $80? Thank you :lol:

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's Mac Journaled... I formatted it on Mac before I started using it and it was working fine up until a couple of days ago. Gah I hate Western Digital SO MUCH now.

Also, I am thinking about getting AirPort Express or AirPort Extreme. I really don't know the difference between the two - is the AirPort Extreme really worth the additional $80? Thank you :lol:

Any chance you got your external drive working??

As far as the Extreme vs Express goes, it depends on your set up. Some key differences are:

Extreme has Ethernet ports (10/100/1000 ethernet) - Express has none

Extreme can handle 50 users while Express can only handle 10

Express has Audio Out to stream music. Extreme does not.

Personally, I went with Extreme - I have two computers wired (Gigabit ethernet) and my laptop is strictly N, so the router only allows N devices (no "speed issues" with B/G devices/compatibility.) It's EXTREMELY fast - Wake up my laptop and I'm on the network. I can stream HD movies from my desktop with no problems. Copying files between the computers are extremely fast.

I wanted to look at a GIF and when I clicked on it, the preview thing showed up. But it just had many images rather than the moving gif image.

I'm new with the MAC so can someone help me out or just tell me a software I can download to view images and stuff.

I think Xee is what you're looking for :)

http://wakaba.c3.cx/s/apps/xee.html

Guest erure

Any chance you got your external drive working??

As far as the Extreme vs Express goes, it depends on your set up. Some key differences are:

Extreme has Ethernet ports (10/100/1000 ethernet) - Express has none

Extreme can handle 50 users while Express can only handle 10

Express has Audio Out to stream music. Extreme does not.

Personally, I went with Extreme - I have two computers wired (Gigabit ethernet) and my laptop is strictly N, so the router only allows N devices (no "speed issues" with B/G devices/compatibility.) It's EXTREMELY fast - Wake up my laptop and I'm on the network. I can stream HD movies from my desktop with no problems. Copying files between the computers are extremely fast.

No :tears:

I guess I'll get the Extreme. I am moving out from school dorms to my own apartment soon and I'm getting Road Runner set up in my apartment (it's the only choice I had for internet - designated by the apartment management <_<). How do I manage to set up a wireless network and all that good stuff? I don't want other people to use my wireless network. Well I guess I don't need to worry about it until I actually move out, but it's happening pretty soon... Anyway if anyone could kind of make a brief guideline of some sort for a layperson like me, I'd really appreciate it... Thank you in advance... :lol:

Guest Xarthan

I guess I'll get the Extreme. I am moving out from school dorms to my own apartment soon and I'm getting Road Runner set up in my apartment (it's the only choice I had for internet - designated by the apartment management <_<). How do I manage to set up a wireless network and all that good stuff? I don't want other people to use my wireless network. Well I guess I don't need to worry about it until I actually move out, but it's happening pretty soon... Anyway if anyone could kind of make a brief guideline of some sort for a layperson like me, I'd really appreciate it... Thank you in advance... :lol:

The Extreme is VERY easy to set up a secure network for those non-tech savy people. So your good. :)

They have really good instructions included. Heck Apple made it, so it should be simple.

Depending on your external drive and the "symptoms" you have (if it's doing a "double clicking", your drive is bad...otherwise, it's probably the directory structure...) you may be able to rescue the data using Disk Warrior.

http://www.alsoft.com/DiskWarrior/index.html

Apple has Disk Utility, which attempts to repair directory issues, but I've never had Disk Utility actually repair anything... Disk Warrior, on the other hand, has worked wonders for me.

Good luck!

Guest erure

Depending on your external drive and the "symptoms" you have (if it's doing a "double clicking", your drive is bad...otherwise, it's probably the directory structure...) you may be able to rescue the data using Disk Warrior.

http://www.alsoft.com/DiskWarrior/index.html

Apple has Disk Utility, which attempts to repair directory issues, but I've never had Disk Utility actually repair anything... Disk Warrior, on the other hand, has worked wonders for me.

Good luck!

Well, when I plug in the USB, a "Disk Insertion" window pops up saying "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer." and gives me three options: initialize, ignore, and eject.

I don't know if I should just initialize the hard drive and save stuff all over again. I could do that but it's just that I don't want this to happen again...

And I can't afford Disk Warrior :tears:

Guest eatadandelion

I had a problem with my battery a few weeks ago, and my hard drive completely failed on Sunday. I had to bring in my macbook to the apple store and they replaced my battery and hard drive free of charge. Thank god for that 3 year warranty.

They had to restore my hard drive and I lost photobooth, garage band, iphoto, imovie and all those programs...Is there a way of getting those programs back? or am I supposed to pay to get for them??

I had a problem with my battery a few weeks ago, and my hard drive completely failed on Sunday. I had to bring in my macbook to the apple store and they replaced my battery and hard drive free of charge. Thank god for that 3 year warranty.

They had to restore my hard drive and I lost photobooth, garage band, iphoto, imovie and all those programs...Is there a way of getting those programs back? or am I supposed to pay to get for them??

Those are probably on the DVDs that were included with your MacBook. If you pop in the "Mac OS X Install" DVD, you'll probably see an icon for "Install Bundled Software Only"

If not, I'd take it back to the store and explain the situation. I've read other people had similar issues and they installed iLife right then and there...

Guest Xarthan

invest in an external drive and use time machine. that way if it happens again you can just restore your drive like nothing happened.

invest in an external drive and use time machine. that way if it happens again you can just restore your drive like nothing happened.

As bad as this sounds, i still don't have an external set up for Time Machine! :lol:

Guest Xarthan

i'm using a mac in a comp lab & i have a question ..

how the heck do you right click ? <_<

press and hold control then click

As bad as this sounds, i still don't have an external set up for Time Machine! :lol:

i wish apple would make an off site encrypted time machine.

press and hold control then click

i wish apple would make an off site encrypted time machine.

Actually, that'd be amazing!! I remember a few years back, people thought "iDisk" was going to be something similar to that...

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/ipod...alarmclock.html

That might be the greatest thing I've ever downloaded! Hahaha :D

The best feature(s) are:

Easy wake (gradually increases volume over a specified range... no jarring, "BEEP BEEP BEEP!" - Instead, I woke up to Schubert and Smetana...haha)

Apple Remote compatible - click Pause to snooze for a 8 (or whatever you specify) minutes right from bed.

Can wake your computer up from sleep! (I haven't tested this feature yet - gonna try tonight)

Resides in Menu Bar (no Dock icon)

It's an awesome app. And it's free :D

Ooh that sounds cool. But my stupid MBP didn't come with an apple remote -_- I'll still try the app though :D

The "wake from sleep" works as advertised. I actually woke up before the alarm (I was nervous my MBP wouldn't actually wake up! lol) but my MBP spun up and starting playing classical music. :D

Hey Minji, what version of OS X do you have???

Guest Millou

is there a way to connect a macbook pro with an imac? I have a new macbook now, but i still have a lot of files on my imac that i want to tranfer to the macbook. Is there a fast and easy way to do that?

Guest Xarthan

is there a way to connect a macbook pro with an imac? I have a new macbook now, but i still have a lot of files on my imac that i want to tranfer to the macbook. Is there a fast and easy way to do that?

yeah, turn off your macbook, you can use a firewire cable to connect it from your imac to the macbook.

How hold down the T key on your macbook and turn it on. Keep holding down the T key until you see your drive on the imac desktop.

The "wake from sleep" works as advertised. I actually woke up before the alarm (I was nervous my MBP wouldn't actually wake up! lol) but my MBP spun up and starting playing classical music. :D

prob leopard since her MBP didn't come with a remote.

Guest erure

I have Leopard >_<

Archived