Kang Dong-Won 강동원 [Upcoming movies: “The Plot”, “Dr. Cheon and Lost Talisman”, “ War and Revolt”]

Helena

Yeo Jin-gu joins Kim Yoon-seok, Kang Dong-won in democracy film 1987

Just when I thought it couldn’t be possible to add more talent to this film, it’s like the movie gods thought, Challenge accepted, and decided to drop this on me. Actor Yeo Jin-gu (Jackpot) has joined the stellar cast of this new historic movie, although his management is still in the final stages of working out the kinks in his schedule to fit it in. He’ll be playing Park Jong-chul in period film 1987, which is about the rise of democracy during an authoritarian regime when Korea was still struggling to find its political identity as a nation.

The role Yeo Jin-gu will be playing is based on a real student named Park Jong-chul who was the linguistics department class president at Seoul University during 1987. When he participated in a protest against some of the actions of then-president Chun Doo-hwan, he was taken away for “questioning.” After multiple rounds of electric shock and waterboarding, his body could not endure anymore and he died in a cell under horrific torture in 1987. After Korean citizens learned about what happened to this young man, under the state’s orders, the public became outraged and this event eventually lead to the June Democratic Uprising.

I wanted to this film even before Yeo signed on because of the amazing lineup, but now I’m doubly excited. If we divide the cast into sides, for the government or for the people, Kim Yoon-seok (Priests) is firmly on the side of the government, playing an official who believes that state secrets (including that of Park Jong-chul’s death) must be kept no matter what for national security. In the gray area is Park Hee-soon (VIP) who actively participated in the torture until he suffered a crisis of conscience.

On the people’s side, there’s veteran actor Ha Jung-woo (Tunnel) who will play a prosecutor who believes the government has crossed a line with Park Jong-chul’s case. Lee Hee-joon (Legend of the Blue Sea) will be a reporter who lets the world know of the government’s “enhanced interrogation” techniques, while Yoo Hae-jin (Luck-Key) will be his informant. Kang Dong-won (Master) and Kim Tae-ri (The Handmaiden) are set to play Yeo Jin-gu’s fellow students who become involved in the anti-government protest movements during that time.

According to reports, Yeo Jin-gu was delighted to receive an offer to be in this film from Director Jang Joon-hwan, whom he worked with in Hwayi. It’ll also be a reunion with him and Kim Yoon-seok, who coincidentally also worked on the same film, where they portrayed a complicated son-father relationship. Another reunion I’m looking forward to is between Kim Yoon-seok and Kang Dong-won, who played a mentor-student pair in Priests, but I don’t know if they’ll actually have much onscreen time together. Also, I swear Kang Dong-won drinks unicorn blood because he really hasn’t aged much since Temptation of Wolf, but there’s more than a 15-year difference between him and Yeo so I wonder how that dynamic will look onscreen.

Now that casting is complete, filming for 1987 will begin this April. So I’m thinking early next winter release, if we’re lucky.

Via StarNews

http://www.dramabeans.com/2017/03/yeo-jin-gu-joins-kim-yoon-seok-kang-dong-won-in-democracy-film-1987/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

---------------------

[COMMENTS] Yeo Jingoo to join the movie ‘1987′

Yeo Jingoo to play the role of the late Park Jongchul in the movie ‘1987’. The final cast to join.

Yeo Jingoo is cast as the late Park Jongchul in the move 1987. He will play the character of a Seoul student who was tortured to death in 1987 while being questioned by policemen about the whereabouts of a campus radical leader. Read more about Park Jongchul here.

1987 will be directed by Jang Joonhwan, who also directed Hwayi, and will also reunite him with his Hwayi dad, Kim Yoonseok.

[+619, -19] This is sad already… Yeo Jingoo playing Park Jongchul..

[+414, -21] Yeo Jingoo, fighting!! I look forward to thisㅠㅠ I’m watching without a doubt! (tn: there is an expressiont they often use: 믿고 보는 배우 which means an actor you can trust to watch)

[+343, -20] Yeo Jingoo suits this role well! I think they will be able to show an accurate view of the history. 

[+409, -67] Kang Dongwon is also in this

[+159, -12] There is water torture in this…

[+88, -11] You’re telling me that Kim Yoonseok, Ha Jungwoo, Kang Dongwon, Yoo Haejin, Park Heesun, Lee Heejun, Yeo Jingoo are all in this project? What in the world…

[+66, -8] This casting made me wet my pants ㅎㄷㄷ

[+59, -7] Since he is playing the patriotic martyr Park Jongchul, he will undergo such a hard time. His image suits the role well, I think he will do a good job.

[+64, -9] What an extravagant casting

[+57, -8] What an awesome lineup

http://hongberg.tumblr.com/post/158951663368/comments-yeo-jingoo-to-join-the-movie-1987

• Like 2

On 3/29/2017 at 1:54 AM, LyraYoo said:

Someone explain whats happen in those clip and I'm laughing:grimace: his stylist pretend to fix him while he's already look good. Yes, the easiest job for sure ^^

On 30.03.2017 at 4:42 AM, oceanluv said:

Kang Dong-won (Master) and Kim Tae-ri (The Handmaiden) are set to play Yeo Jin-gu’s fellow students who become involved in the anti-government protest movements during that time.

okay NOW I'm legit excited for this film.

in all honesty i've grown a bit (a lot) tired of KDW playing opposite almost exclusively male actors in the past couple of years. Vanishing Time was a breath of fresh air but the age gap and the story provided for only a very specific, more juvenile kind of chemistry w/ SES, lacking the adult tension and openness that KDW so wonderfully generates around fellow actresses. Kim Tae-ri is an acting goddess-in-the-making so seeing that their characters are most likely to have lots of interaction in the expected plot makes me a happy girl. also, we deserve the aesthetics :wub:

Scenario Cover of movie 1987

jd4.jpg

-------------------------

so beautiful...:wub:

-------------------------

Jung Woo-sung up to join Kang Dong-won’s sci-fi thriller Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade

Actor Jung Woo-sung (The King) has confirmed that he has received the script for dystopian film Jin-roh: The Wolf Brigade. He is currently reviewing the offer carefully, and may end up joining the cast in the role of a training officer named Jang Jin-tae.

The movie is set in an alternate reality where North and South Korea have been getting ready for reunification for the past seven years, but complications occur because there are political forces on each side that don’t want the merger to happen. It’s based on a Japanese anime by the same name, which was produced by director Okiwuri Hiroyuki. The storyline from the original anime was set in a post-World War II background where Japan had become a police state. So while the actual plot may be very different, perhaps the original themes regarding surveillance, military control, and governmental intrusions on the rights of private citizens may still be present.

Famous director Kim Jee-woon, who is helming the film, has already cast Kang Dong-won (Master) in the lead role of the Korean version of Jin-Roh, as a special task force officer. If Jung Woo-sung decides to sign on, he’ll be reuniting with Director Kim for the first time in eight years since The Good, The Bad, The Weird and Gift.

Jin-Roh is still in the casting phase, and will begin filming during the latter half of this year.

Via News1

http://www.dramabeans.com/2017/04/jung-woo-sung-up-to-join-kang-dong-wons-sci-fi-thriller-jin-roh-the-wolf-brigade/

• Like 2