For Those Of You That Are Not Korean, How Do Your Parents React When They Find Out You Listen To Kor

Guest psquare6806

Guest chrislauj

at first my mom was like "WHAT.. why are you listening/watching/singing to another language when you have no idea what they are saying???".. my dad didn't really care...

but then... flash forward 8 years... (yes, i've been addicted this long :)) ... my mom's just as addicted to dramas as i am, sometimes i think even more.. :) but she won't admit it... my dad... welps he's starting to but, he's learned about the "forward" addiction.. he'll finish a drama in a day... just by forwarding with subtitles... :)

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My parents were cool! They also LOVE Korean!! anything about Korean, they listen to KPOP, Watch MVs and KDramas and KMovies. Actually they were the one who bought my CDs, not because I asked to but because they want to. haha. :) I love to have Parents like them. They're so supportive!!

Guest onedaymaniac

i dont know.i think they've been understanding to my different taste.but my brother thinks i'm a weirdo coz i'm watchin or listening to sumthin other than our language or english.

Guest jeexo

LOL my mum and brothers make fun of me! cause usually everyday i'm infront of the computer bawling my eyes out while watching some drama, they don't mind kpop though. they're not negative about it, they just find it funny that i can get caught up in asian dramas :P

Guest Crazedphase.

They don't really mind. I get the occasional "Do you even understand ?" and "Why don't

you listen to OUR country's music?"

LOL. For ages I thought they didn't know, but turns out they do xD

And sometimes it's used against me in an argument. My dad has this crazy thing where he

blames OTHER PEOPLE for things going wrong with our computer.

He'll be like "It's cause you look at Korean boys on the computer, we have a virus !" LOLOL.

Guest LEXINGTON.the1st.

My parents think I'm a fruitloop.

I'm interested in global culture generally and my family are all pretty "aussie."

I think the Korean music thing came as less of a shock after the Taiwanese boyfriend, the Soviet war documentaries, the Turkish history books, the Japanese lessons and the Latin lessons. (IDK, Latin seemed like a great idea at the time.) Like when I was watching Coffee Prince mum asked if it was Japanese or Taiwanese and kind of just took in stride when I said it was Korean.

My dad's big into European cinema so I can retort with that when he gets on my case about watching Asian films. He can't understand Spanish any more than I can understand Cantonese. (Initial-D, yo.)

Buuuut they certainly didn't complain about having me along to translate when they went to Japan. Mmmm turns out curiosity is actually useful sometimes...

Guest _crazinessism

my parents dont really care, they watch the dubbed kdrama on tv sometimes too.

but i know my dad wishes i was this interested in chinese media LOL

Guest sojulitic

my dad doesnt care but my mum...she likes korean culture just as much as me. she watches korean dramas, sometims with thai dub, or with me (we were watching iris together b4^^). she also watches thai shows and sometimes korean celebs are in it...b4 when i was getting ready to leave the house she called me to living room and she was watching some show and 2pms nichkhun was on it lol

and then theres family outing where not only my mum but also my brothers (who are 10yrs younger than me)...

and my 2 sisters...they aregetting into kpop hahah. one has a boyfriend that loves k pop and my other sister just fell in love with taeyang and big bang

sorry a little off topic at the end hehehe

Guest Debbie_Aozora

My parents always considered me to be a little bit odd, so they just frown, stare at my laptop whenever I play Korean variety shows and wonder loudly what's so funny about it. I also hear the occasional: "Do you even understand what those boys are singing?" whenever I play korean music without headphones, but yeah, everyone has his or her hobbies :)

Guest vannachoong91

At first they' re like :huh:

Then slowly they don't really care about it anymore~

And the funniest thing is my dad is the one who buy my favourite group's album when he's on business trip~ :lol:

So,practically he knows who is DBSK!! :P

"you don't know what they're saying, why do you bother listening/watching? Idiot..."

yes. very nice of them.

and when you say that the guy (in a band/movie) is hot:

"Why do you like them? They're half-way across the world and don't know you exist...." etc...

Guest KrissyBoox3

I'm Vietnamese and my mom doesn't care what I watch.

Sometimes she watches with me if it looks interesting to her, haha.

Sometimes my aunt suggests things to watch too, haha.

Guest riceasaurr

They definitely don't care, haha.

My mom is a huge kdrama fan herself, although she's really into historical dramas.

Whenever my dad is watching a kdrama with my mom, all he does is point out who got plastic surgery or not, a bit mean, but it's funny. xD

Guest ChibiLuffy

Well, when it comes to music they don't really care. At first they thought anime was super weird. My mom thinks it's weird sometimes. My dad thinks it's normal because I'm someone is curious about other cultures. Also I have a passion for music, so they think it's normal that I explore other country's music. I don't really watch dramas, but the 1-2 times I have, I didn't really want them to know... Mostly because they'd be like, go study. Lmao. They will probably know more about it if I pick up Korean in college next year.

Guest stradivarius

uh at first my mom was irritated. she used to say "other races are not watching ouur drama's. y are you watcing theirs?"

sounds racist right?

i don't care and keep on even though it was super irritating. I'm not racist and this is just like any normal dramas.

cos she also watch all those tamil, hindustan dramas.

Now, she's like never missing this one taiwan's drama on tv.

mirror? it dosen't comply with what she've said before. -_-

Guest stacey.wong

hah..my mom used to dislike koreans.

i had a debate on whether kpop or hong kong.. pop? :| was better. -.-

it was pathetic cause i've never even heard of any hong kong.. celebs. >.<

jeeez. :huh:

Archived