One more thing, in variety programs they always venerate the actresses too much (I think they're a bit exaggerated) maybe she doesn't want this kind of treatment ... maybe Running man unaccustomed her to that... She gets so shy when she's praised. But really, she didn't say that she didn't want to be called an actress, this article title is confusing... click bait?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pinsc said:

what I interpreted:

She wants to work as an actress and enjoys her job, but doesn't want to be seen and treated as an "actress" (according to that Korean stereotype of actress elegant, serious, too worried about the appearance - we know that this isn't her style, she is very care free - and everything)

That's mean she just want to enjoy and free doing anything what she wants? Like Running man. What about acting? Still no improvement.(correct me if I'm wrong). With so many idols and actress now makes her become difficult to cast in drama. Even if she doing once a year drama but still in tv cable and underrated. The longer she in RM, makes her image become worse. Until when she gonna stay? Waiting for production fire her again? And crying? Stress?  But still she enjoy it? Come on jihyo yah. RM forever 7012 is just solely gimmick. If she out now, i think production team will be thankful to her. So that the RM will start new fresh. Or RM will be cancelled. Staying for so long is selfish actually. Start new path, don't be afraid. Fans will support her. 

But this decisions, i don't know. Whether you like it or not, you're actress. You have responsibility. Just look at kwangsoo, even if active in variety show, still he manage landing a good acting and received an awards. Even his drama on national tv. She? Don't hypocrite. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Evelyne Lyne said:

That's mean she just want to enjoy and free doing anything what she wants? Like Running man. What about acting? Still no improvement.(correct me if I'm wrong). With so many idols and actress now makes her become difficult to cast in drama. Even if she doing once a year drama but still in tv cable and underrated. The longer she in RM, makes her image become worse. Until when she gonna stay? Waiting for production fire her again? And crying? Stress?  But still she enjoy it? Come on jihyo yah. RM forever 7012 is just solely gimmick. If she out now, i think production team will be thankful to her. So that the RM will start new fresh. Or RM will be cancelled. Staying for so long is selfish actually. Start new path, don't be afraid. Fans will support her. 

But this decisions, i don't know. Whether you like it or not, you're actress. You have responsibility. Just look at kwangsoo, even if active in variety show, still he manage landing a good acting and received an awards. Even his drama on national tv. She? Don't hypocrite. 

I understand what you mean, but I think she said she just wanted to be seen as herself, and act like herself ... as she already does, not according to the title "actress". I do not think she can have a neutral and elegant image all the time as maybe the actors try to keep, her image can't be recovered, she already has one... For example, in that goddess of asia contest, I was very angry when people said that she did not fit the goddess title, and did not deserve to win. But it's how RM built her image x.x This has advantages and disadvantages.
And she may have been comfortable with it, it's her way. But it does not mean she does not want to work hard as an actress. Because she does, and she wants to ...
honestly, Ji Hyo is already getting old, and roles for her now are going to be a bit limited, its not much of her fault. She even said that it is not easy as people think. "It's not true that there are always opportunities to find a shirt that fits me. Now I am preparing myself for finding that shirt." Kwang soo is still young, but even he, a great actor, is not seen as an elegant actor, running man always makes fun of him for not reaching the feet of Joong Ki and Jo In Sung. I think Ji Hyo just does not want to be treated like a different person. She is simple, humble, shy, spontaneous, easy going and care free I think that's how she wants to be seen and treated. And I'm not talking about running man, but anywhere ... I also want her to leave this show soon. That's what I understood at least. Sorry my english. 

• Like 2

I think many articles on allkpop are not well translated, thus the confusion.

I understand your stand point @Evelyne Lyne , but I must disagree with most of the things here. I do not thing anyone has responsibility to do things beyond their will. JH just said she would choose her role carefully, not abandon her acting career. If she is stressed with actress title and just want to enjoy acting as it is, then it is her rightful choice. I think supporting JH acting career is one thing, criticizing her for doing what she want is another.

(It is the same for any professions in the world, we have models shift from fashion industry to movie, kpop idol sing less, act more.. why is it JH responsibility to focus only on acting

Besides, it is harsh to say she has no improvement.  Being on free-to-air may be an indication of easier popularity, but cable is not equal to low quality. Indeed some of the top-quality dramas I have ever watched are from cable. Her Emergency Couple with TvN were well-received commercially , and My Wife having an affair got praised a lot in both the script and acting, plus it still hold the highest record for JTBC.

Lastly, no offence to LKS (I actually think his acting is decent) but his acting career is not comparable to JH. He has one leading role on KBS, yes, but only the second half was aired on KBS. His other roles are mainly supporting. And JH received many awards for her acting as well. Just have look at both of their film bio.

For RM, we only know the one side story from the media. We never really know what is behind the picture. For the members attachment with the show, we can only feel and have some of our own conclusions. You may choose to think it is a gimmick, for me their friendship are real , til the point closer to family. She is the one that is in it, and experience the whole situation herself, and would also be the one who suffer or benefit from any of her decisions. So why are we the ones who is judging? I love RM, I love JH, but whether she chooses to stay or leave, I would wholeheartedly support her

I know your frustration, but please don't take a loosely translated article on allkpop by heart. And please do not use harsh words unnecessarily. Criticism is fine, but unfair ones hurt.

Again, I hope I did not come across as offending you, because by no mean I intended to do so. I just want to raise my words regarding this matter, and hope this won't lead to unnecessary arguments. If it does , can mod please delete my post

• Like 6

Oh, this comment:

Jae Yim So there's kinda little context her because this is a language difference. So in Korea, actor is 배우 (bae-woo).

In America there's a clear distinction that actor means male and actress means female and that those are more than just jobs, they're also
pronouns.

In Korean "baewoo" is completely gender neutral. And while in English "actor" can mean both just a man or any performer in general, again, we use it more like a pronoun for males.

In Korean, "baewoo" is treated more like a title as opposed to a gender pronoun. Jihyo is saying she doesn't want to be called a 여배우 (yeo baewoo) which directly translates to "female" actor. While we just say it means "actress", there is a clear difference. The "yeo" is a prefix for FEMALE and is added onto the title "actor".

So that's what she is really saying. She's saying "I don't want to be called a female actor, I just want to be called an actor". Basically she wants the prefix dropped.

More you learn!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Evelyne Lyne said:

@coffeecoffee @pinsc thank you. Don't worry, I'm open with this discussion. We agree to disagree right? :D i like it. More thoughts, more opinions, the more we learn. Sorry for my bad English too. Yea maybe I'm bit harsh, I'm so sorry. Peace.

I was confused too. But in fact, after I understood better what Ji Hyo meant, I admire her even more, she is going against this Korean custom that women (at least actresses) needs to be perfect, venerated and treated differently. And she doesn't want this ...

• Like 2